Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

[quote="“HannibalBarca”" post="“477312233”"]
https://twitter.com/GatorsFB/status/918284185080606720

I have questions
[/quote]

Unis look less-awful in these pics but @gatorsfb appears to have taken acid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Florida football does not need to adopt the use of empty platitudes. We need to leave those to Butch Jones.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Unis look less-awful in these pics but @gatorsfb appears to have taken acid

Less awful is...damning with very faint praise. And I'm not sure if it's actually true.

Who do they get to do these shoots by the way? First off is it a model or some actual player who's hanging out with the gator. And how do you go about booking a live alligator (I assume, since it's walking in one pick) to do a photo shoot?

I'm imagining them just dragging a likely looking one out of a swamp and carting it over to, er, the Swamp. But I'm sure that's not how it works.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 12, 2017

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Grittybeard posted:

Less awful is...damning with very faint praise. And I'm not sure if it's actually true.

Who do they get to do these shoots by the way? First off is it a model or some actual player who's hanging out with the gator. And how do you go about booking a live alligator (I assume, since it's walking in one pick) to do a photo shoot?

I'm imagining them just dragging a likely looking one out of a swamp and carting it over to, er, the Swamp. But I'm sure that's not how it works.

I know when I was in college at VT that my roommate was used as a model for a photo shoot of our football unis. Since then I have always assumed that in these sorts of things they use models, either amateur students or professionals.

Now the gator I just figured that "gator on demand" would be a thriving business model for Florida. What better way to spice up the kids birthday party than a live gator in the pool?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I assumed UF had like a gator enclosure on campus kinda like LSU has for Mike and they just borrowed the chillest one there for these photos.

Those unis are still horrific rear end that UF should never don again. I guess the shoes are kinda cool though those would be fine to keep around.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

This owns. Animal-based photo shoots forever.

It has teeth sticking up from the bottom, though- doesn't that mean it's a crocodile? :confused:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Fifty Three posted:

It has teeth sticking up from the bottom, though- doesn't that mean it's a crocodile? :confused:

It's all about the snout isn't it? Like crocs have thinner jaws and gators have wider ones like that?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

It's all about the snout isn't it? Like crocs have thinner jaws and gators have wider ones like that?
I thought that was part of it, yeah- gators have wider upper jaws so there isn't that underbite thing going on? Maybe?

I'm not a crocodologist.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Gators have an overbite, crocs have an underbite (e: not exactly this but the results are the same). It's not impossible to spot some bottom teeth on gators, just nowhere near as bad as crocs. Gators also have U-shaped snouts and crocs have a V-shape.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 12, 2017

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I assumed UF had like a gator enclosure on campus kinda like LSU has for Mike and they just borrowed the chillest one there for these photos.

Those unis are still horrific rear end that UF should never don again. I guess the shoes are kinda cool though those would be fine to keep around.

Not really, they just live all around campus. Occasionally when one gets real big and looks like it has nested near dorms, they will remove it. There was a 10 footer that resided in the pond across the street from my dorm (in front of another dorm) that was there for like a year or two before they finally removed it as it had been creeping closer and closer to the dorm.

I also once hit an alligator with my car driving home one night while on campus. Its pretty surprising how lax the policy was with them.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I think given their numbers, their lack of aggression towards people, and the scarcity of attacks and fatalities it's just easier to let common sense win out than unleashing some gator task force that would be doing non-stop work forever.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Crotch Bat posted:

I think given their numbers, their lack of aggression towards people, and the scarcity of attacks and fatalities it's just easier to let common sense win out than unleashing some gator task force that would be doing non-stop work forever.

I get that, but literally having an alligator live within 75 feet of the entrance to a dorm and only 20 feet from the sidewalk seems like a massive lawsuit waiting to happen. Like, I don't expect them to try and clear out Lake Alice or any of the streams that run through campus, but you would think that any sizable gator that lived near dorms would be relocated just to avoid the disaster of having a gator attack a student.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Grittybeard posted:

There was a reason those teams were unhappy earlier, and that reason was mostly Texas. Yes it didn't start with the LHN, and no it didn't really start anywhere other than Texas.

I guess - as a Mizzou fan, explain what it is that the Texas admin did that made Mizzou want to leave the conference - pre LHN, because as you said, this apparently has little to do with LHN.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sab0921 posted:

I guess - as a Mizzou fan, explain what it is that the Texas admin did that made Mizzou want to leave the conference - pre LHN, because as you said, this apparently has little to do with LHN.

Well Mizzou is possibly a bad example since we'd been trying to get into the Big 10 forever for whatever reason. But never super seriously until we wanted to get away from you. The conference was rock solid for, what, 60 or 80 years? Big 6 to Big 8 included I guess.

The expansion happened and it screwed everything up. Texas wanted a bigger piece of the pie and got it. They were unwilling to even think about some equal sharing thing, and yes, the other schools were dumb to let that happen.

I guess...explain to me how it's anyone's fault other than Texas desperately making sure they got all the money? Well other than being dumb and agreeing to poo poo Texas wanted? And yes, all the other schools were dumb and/or desperate. So are the other schools still in the Big 12 other than OU for keeping the charade up.

Inviting Texas to the conference was ultimately self defeating, even though it brought in some early money.

To put it shortly, thank loving god my school, as lovely as it is in sports, is no longer in a conference with Texas.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

It's generally snout shape - Alligators are more of a U shape and Crocs are a V shape.

I think Gators are supposed to have more prominent teeth while Crocs fit more seamlessly but I may be wrong on that. Got it backwards.

Fun fact! Florida is also home to American Crocodile -- and Florida is the only place in the world where Crocodiles and Gators coexist!

Coloration is different too:

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I remember reading as a kid that one of the live mascots from the 40s or 50s had its tail cut off by Miami or FSU students but I can't find any trace of it anymore--most mascot lore seems to be pretty kid-friendly.

This is all I could find with a 5min google search.

http://www.alligator.org/news/campus/article_28668d1f-4473-57b1-9d52-ddce62158263.html

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 12, 2017

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Me too why are the bleachers playing Conway's Game of Life

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Well Mizzou is possibly a bad example since we'd been trying to get into the Big 10 forever for whatever reason. But never super seriously until we wanted to get away from you. The conference was rock solid for, what, 60 or 80 years? Big 6 to Big 8 included I guess.

The expansion happened and it screwed everything up. Texas wanted a bigger piece of the pie and got it. They were unwilling to even think about some equal sharing thing, and yes, the other schools were dumb to let that happen.

I guess...explain to me how it's anyone's fault other than Texas desperately making sure they got all the money? Well other than being dumb and agreeing to poo poo Texas wanted? And yes, all the other schools were dumb and/or desperate. So are the other schools still in the Big 12 other than OU for keeping the charade up.

Inviting Texas to the conference was ultimately self defeating, even though it brought in some early money.

To put it shortly, thank loving god my school, as lovely as it is in sports, is no longer in a conference with Texas.

Sounds like the other schools should've bootstrapped harder. The Texas way. Bully and bootstrap till death. And lose to Kansas too

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
247 posted projections of the rest of Tennessee's schedule based on ESPN's FPI:

South Carolina:
ESPN projection: South Carolina win
Tennessee's chance of winning: 48.2 percent
Vols' overall record: 3-3, 0-3 SEC

Alabama:
ESPN projection: Alabama win
Tennessee's chance of winning: 2.4 percent
Vols' overall record: 3-4, 0-4 SEC

Kentucky:
ESPN projection: Kentucky win
Tennessee's chance of winning: 42.9 percent
Vols' overall record: 3-5, 0-5 SEC

Southern Miss:
ESPN projection: Tennessee win
Tennessee's chance of winning: 83.7 percent
Vols' overall record: 4-5, 0-5 SEC

Missouri:
Tennessee's chance of winning: 64.3 percent
Vols' overall record: 5-5, 1-5 SEC

LSU:
ESPN projection: LSU win
Tennessee's chance of winning: 39.3 percent
Vols' overall record: 5-6, 1-6 SEC

Vandy:
Tennessee's chance of winning: 68.2 percent
Vols' overall record: 6-6, 2-6 SEC

Honestly, I would be surprised if we lost to Kentucky and beat Vandy. I don't think it happens. So 6-6/5-7 and no bowl, or one no one gives a poo poo about. If Butch isn't gone already by that point he will be. If we lose to USC and Kentucky, I can't see him being the coach for Southern Miss.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

Alabama:
ESPN projection: Alabama win
Tennessee's chance of winning: 2.4 percent

So you're saying there's a chance.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

So you're saying there's a chance.

That's why we play the games righahahahahahah

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Grittybeard posted:

The team that killed the SWC killed the Big 12.

Honestly though no one who left had any problems with OU or whoever, everyone thought Texas was destabilizing the conference. Mainly because they were. And will again in a few years.

SMU killed the Big 12?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

UT fans, did y'all see this season coming the way it's gone down?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

SMU killed the Big 12?

Arkansas killed the SWC.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tactlessbastard posted:

Arkansas killed the SWC.

Why did they do that?

To get away from Texas.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

UT fans, did y'all see this season coming the way it's gone down?

I mean, I thought it was going to be a definite drop from previous seasons I thought if we got 8/9 wins and a decent bowl that would be a good year. We lost a poo poo ton to the draft, especially on defense. The point of all those great recruiting classes though is so that the next guy steps up but uh...the only place that's really happened is at RB. Yeah, there's been a bunch of injuries but god drat, it looks like a completely different team out there.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

Why did they do that?

To get away from Texas.

Not gonna deny it.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Grittybeard posted:

Why did they do that?

To get away from Texas.

You seem real mad. Hook Em'

Edit: everyone left not because they were mad at Texas, but because they got more money elsewhere. Done and done.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 12, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pretty sure Nebraska bailed for the same reason.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I was listening to some Vol podcast because Fuente got brought up (and the guy on there said he thinks there's no way Fuente leaves and especially not for an SEC school) and he said Fulmer, Kiffin, and Dooley never survived their last season fully so if they keep with tradition, so to speak, the axe should fall on Jones soon.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Bat posted:

I was listening to some Vol podcast because Fuente got brought up (and the guy on there said he thinks there's no way Fuente leaves and especially not for an SEC school) and he said Fulmer, Kiffin, and Dooley never survived their last season fully so if they keep with tradition, so to speak, the axe should fall on Jones soon.

Kiffin left between seasons

e: also Jones & co buyout is 11-13 million

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 12, 2017

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

MourningView posted:

Iowa added Northern Iowa to the schedule in 2020, that Big Ten ban on FCS games didn't last long. I would still much rather play like Akron or Bowling Green than a good FCS program filled almost entirely with local kids pissed off they didn't get an Iowa offer, but UNI has fallen off quite a bit recently so maybe they'll be bad in 2020. Our conference schedule that year is pretty brutal with Michigan State, at Penn State, and at OSU as the cross over games so I'm cool with a soft noncon.

I think they relaxed it to allow FCS games on years where the team has 4 conference home games.

augias posted:

Me too why are the bleachers playing Conway's Game of Life

this is an exceptionally good post.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sab0921 posted:

You seem real mad. Hook Em'

:rolleyes:

quote:

Edit: everyone left not because they were mad at Texas, but because they got more money elsewhere. Done and done.

Once again, that was easy to do because of Texas.

Like I asked you why this was anyone's fault other than your school. You just said there were a lot of assholes involved. Which, sure, I guess that's a true statement. It's just not one that makes an argument in any fashion.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Okay it's all our fault, now we can stop the bitter rehashing and focus on how awesome it is that Iowa state beat OU.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

buddhanc posted:

Okay it's all our fault, now we can stop the bitter rehashing and focus on how awesome it is that Iowa state beat OU.

Buddhanc you're ok. I'm sorry that I hope your team is beaten by 50 now that OU is poison to the playoffs committee.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blaming it on Texas is a bit hosed up when Aggy and Nebraska were just as greedy as Texas. They sure didn't have a problem with getting more money that Iowa State and Tech.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Oh and go bobcats tonight!!!!! Gonna destroy some Cajuns

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

buddhanc posted:

Oh and go bobcats tonight!!!!! Gonna destroy some Cajuns

I think we both know that's not true.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

e: also Jones & co buyout is 11-13 million

The issue probably isn't Butch's buyout, but yeah, with all the staff, will UT/boosters want to pay that much to drop him at the end of the year?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

The issue probably isn't Butch's buyout, but yeah, with all the staff, will UT/boosters want to pay that much to drop him at the end of the year?

I think I read somewhere that his portion is like at least 7 million of that. That said yeah if he shits up the season with only 5 wins he’s gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

I think I read somewhere that his portion is like at least 7 million of that. That said yeah if he shits up the season with only 5 wins he’s gone

The hater in me wants you guys to drop every game from here on out, but that is a bit cruel.

• Locked thread