Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
In 1999 you're an idiot if you touch computers and don't make six figures. In 2001 you're formatting drives at Best Buy.

Same thing here, except in 2019 you'll be an idiot if you can make a spear and don't have six beaver pelts. all hail chief warlord Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Senor Dog posted:

please don't troll or sincerely post stupid things in the bwm thread

Good point. I've only worked both coasts. I've let my own bias into that statement big time.

You all get to berate me for my callousness now.

(no really, I get that statement was tone deaf)

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Motronic posted:

Good point. I've only worked both coasts. I've let my own bias into that statement big time.

You all get to berate me for my callousness now.

(no really, I get that statement was tone deaf)

I genuinely appreciate that you have the intelligence/humility to realize you were wrong

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

I have a hunch that he got to the residency part, went "wait you mean being a doctor involves interacting with people?!?" and ran away screaming, hence the second choice of computer janitor

Pathology

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

KingSlime posted:

That's for sure. It's a very snobbish and out of touch generalization.

Most generalizations that broad are.

I see what you did there

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Please shut up about your stupid derail and instead read this on-topic thread about horse repossessions.

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php/topic/122289-ever-had-the-unpleasant-need-to-repossess-a-horse/

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Bitcoin up to 5000 at this second.

Trump, do the right thing and kill it now.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

Bitcoin up to 5000 at this second.

Trump, do the right thing and kill it now.
There's no way this can go wrong.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Even my more driven and rational coworkers who freelance successfully via Actual Talent and Skills are buzzing about bitcoin, it's been a constant conversation for about a week now

what the gently caress is happening, gang

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
USAA now lets you add your bitcoin account with your other accounts.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Countdown to the USAA breach...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

KingSlime posted:

Even my more driven and rational coworkers who freelance successfully via Actual Talent and Skills are buzzing about bitcoin, it's been a constant conversation for about a week now

what the gently caress is happening, gang

In the last couple months it broke through the invisible internet barrier and now all sorts of otherwise normal people have been exposed. Good news for those who got in early on the ponzi, and very good news for this thread once the bubble finally pops.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don't know anything about bitcoin other than I guess it is digital money that you data mine for or some poo poo and tbh I don't care how it works but how are people so sure it will crash?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I don't know anything about bitcoin other than I guess it is digital money that you data mine for or some poo poo and tbh I don't care how it works but how are people so sure it will crash?

Hi, guy with a racial slur in his username, there are entire threads that can answer your question, not to mention google.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Hi, guy with a racial slur in his username, there are entire threads that can answer your question, not to mention google.

:allears:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

You called me "it" and when I asked you to apologize you said:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

There was more to the email exchange and I'm not discussing that here. Post about people bad with money please.

Feel free to email me though. :)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Edit: no

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

We've all been waiting for it to crash since it hit parity with the dollar and it just doesn't seem to be happening. I think at this point the only thing that will kill it is if it somehow becomes worse for money laundering or transferring funds across borders.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

As an idiot summary, bitcoin is a virtual currency with no actual basis, but it allowed people to 'earn' bitcoins by doing the computing that creates the blocks that verify transactions, which is basically a way to motivate people to support the currency. The more people doing the computing though, the harder it gets to create bitcoins. I don't know if they ever dealt with that or not.

Everyone expected it to die, but it has kept going because it turns out to be pretty useful for illegal markets, and also provided a way for people to move money - basically, people realized that they could use money in China to set up a huge server farm, create a bunch of bitcoins by creating the blocks, and then transfer or sell those bitcoins for dollars, or goods, or anything else. Which allowed them to evade restrictions on moving currency. So as long as it is useful to people for that purpose, it will keep some value unless something happens to destroy it (I think that if one party or group controlled the majority of computing, they could effectively edit the transaction logs? I dunno).

Which isn't to say there hasn't been a ton of BWM stuff with it, tons of people that bought in have lost their money by having their bitcoin wallets hacked, or put their money into virtual exchanges which collapsed and took their money with them.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Moneyball posted:

There was more to the email exchange and I'm not discussing that here. Post about people bad with money please.

yeah because emailing you has such a massive impact on your moronic understanding of the world :)

:)

:)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Autism Kroners.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

We've all been waiting for it to crash since it hit parity with the dollar and it just doesn't seem to be happening. I think at this point the only thing that will kill it is if it somehow becomes worse for money laundering or transferring funds across borders.

? It's crashed several times since it hit parity with the dollar, each time more hilarious than the last. People are sure that it will crash because it crashes all the time.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Moneyball posted:

Treating people decently is generally fair prerequisite before we get onto the actual topic.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
is nork a racial slur? I'm the same race as a north korean as a south korean but it's evidently not directed at me. seems a nationalist slur

also r/buttcoin is the best place in reddit. should be more peeps there

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

BattleMoose posted:

Treating people decently is generally fair prerequisite before we get onto the actual topic.

Leave the horse alone, it's dead. Deader than if it was burned in a stable fire for the insurance money. Which would be incredibly bad with money once the fire marshal rules it an arson.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
No reddit post of a first hand account, but here's a list of bullet points of friends of mine and how they're BWM and in my opinion BWL:

Couple broke up, got back together and within a matter of days bought a house. $160k house, with their income combined no more than 70-75k, based upon my idea of what her income is given I applied for a management spot at her job and my general idea of what her position pays for the type of work it does, and my idea of his income as explained by his brother that lived with me for a period of time.

They admit to not being able to afford the house without having someone else live with them to help offset the costs.

A couple months after buying the house, she enrolls in college in a not very local school already with her not quite local job. A round trip from home>school>work>home is 148 miles.

It's not exactly my place to judge someone's relationship, but she's the independent, big city, ambitious type, even though that hasn't really fleshed out for her. He's much more modest and just wants to raise his daughter, who I believe he has partial custody of. He's happy and content to have a place to call home that isn't his mother's sofa which he spent a significant amount of his mid-20s on. They don't really share the same "where do you want to be at 40" goals.

He's a "manager" of some rinky dink local food place where his employer keeps his hours low to avoid paying out insurance. Wages are poo poo as you'd expect. Stubbornly refuses for reasons I haven't been able to understand to enroll in VA benefits as a former Marine.

In spite of his job ticking off a few boxes of how America is BWEmployment, he's still gung ho libertarian, denouncing worker protections that he would directly benefit from. He's the type that follows and shares posts from those Facebook "entrepreneurs", those assholes that got rich quick and want to sell you books and have you watch videos to help you achieve your own dreams of success!

Continuing along with that theme, he's written two books. One of which is a collection of dark poetry which I don't appreciate at all so I can't comment on its quality. The second book, no joke, is about how you can publish your own book on the cheap based on his own experience being broke and getting published.

Their master plan is for her getting her degree (what her major is I've no idea), which a couple months into school she's already on Facebook regretting going to a place so far away and is looking into somewhere with online courses.

Folly
May 26, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

is nork a racial slur? I'm the same race as a north korean as a south korean but it's evidently not directed at me. seems a nationalist slur

also r/buttcoin is the best place in reddit. should be more peeps there

Well after a post like that I had to check, but: http://www.buttcoin.com

Looks like we missed a ground floor opportunity, gang.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Folly posted:

we could do a pass around of a hat or something. 192 a month? we all paid :10bux: for these dead internet forums

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Folly posted:

It used to be goon-owned but one of the buttcoin companies offered him way too much money for the site.

http://www.buttcoinfoundation.org/t...keting-machine/

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Can't see this going wrong at all.

Paying up front to show interest in buying a house? posted:

Note: I hope this is the right sub to ask such a question, if not I'd be grateful if someone could suggest a better-fitting sub.
So my gf and I are looking into buying a house in Germany. As it turns out, the current owner is from France, now living in the UK. She ordered an "international agency" to handle the whole business of making appointments to visit the property, payment and so on.
Today, I received an email stating that one of the next steps would be to deposit 1.7% of the total buying price ( roughly 10k €) in one of the agencies accounts as a sign that we are serious about buying. If we decided not to buy later on, we'd be reimbursed by the same amount.
As a newbie in property aquisition: Is this standard operating procedure or just a more elaborate scam to score 10k from us? How can we make sure that we indeed get our money back?
I was sent an ID card scan of the current owner, but that might of course also be a fake - we haven't seen anyone in person as of now.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

MisterOblivious posted:

It used to be goon-owned but one of the buttcoin companies offered him way too much money for the site.

No, that was buttcoin.org, which is now an asset of the US government :haw:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

MisterOblivious posted:

that venture capitalist was right in saying that only the .com has the biggest dick

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Moneyball posted:

Can't see this going wrong at all.

I often wonder how many times this actually works.

Folly
May 26, 2010

metallicaeg posted:

Stubbornly refuses for reasons I haven't been able to understand to enroll in VA benefits as a former Marine.

This kind of thing drives me nuts. Tell me there's some poo poo-end catch on using your VA benefits? Because there is no political philosophy I'm aware of that includes not using not accepting contract benefits you've already purchased and to which you are entitled. I mean, my regular rant is about people who don't claim their unemployment insurance benefit, but I think this is from the same cloth.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Weatherman posted:

No, that was buttcoin.org, which is now an asset of the US government :haw:

:drat: I'd forgotten about that. Didn't a judge have to utter the term buttcoin in court too?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
http://www.businessinsider.com/man-in-the-netherlands-sold-everything-for-bitcoin-2017-10

A 39-year-old who sold everything he owned in exchange for bitcoin now lives on a campsite waiting for the ultimate cryptoboom

Title relevant as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

:rip: this thread since Leon Trotsky got banned for a month.