Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The problem I have isn't graphics, it's loading times, even with a SSD.
Are you using DirectX11 or 12?
On my hardware DirectX12 gave me a tiny increase in FPS, but loading times almost tripled compared to DirectX 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Raygereio posted:

On my hardware DirectX12 gave me a tiny increase in FPS, but loading times almost tripled compared to DirectX 11.

ahhhhhhh that's it then thanks

sad, 12 is a bigger number than 11, it should be better

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

ahhhhhhh that's it then thanks

sad, 12 is a bigger number than 11, it should be better

12 is also vastly more unstable than the 11 version in this game for some reason, most of my crashes came from trying it out over a 10+ hour testing period or so.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Vulkan support for Total Warhammer when?

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Empire could have a religious uprising rite that summons a stack full of flagellants, led by an Arch Lector and Priest. It could give + untainted an - public order as well.

edit: Norscan rites could be above average in power but spend favour.

ZeusJupitar fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 12, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bretonnian Errantry war declared and you get a half stack of knights or something. See, this is easy.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Big event rites seem more interesting than the temporary minor buff ones we got.

Vaul's tower destroyer spell is cool and worth planning around but the other High Elves ones feel like filler when they ran out of idea.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I'm really excited to see the old world maps, generally much superior than 2s lovely jungle maps, with 2s new lighting engine. The map design is generally worse but they're a LOT prettier.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i want to play as tomb kings

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I completely bounced off the Vampire Counts playstyle because "all melee, all the time" kinda sucks in Total War, but I might just get the Tomb Kings DLC to experience using undead troops while actually having tactical depth in battles.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I was really hoping they'd scatter some of the minor LLs to the new world and take the opportunity to give Ungrim the northern Karak with the mortal empires update. Kinda lovely that for every LL they move to the old world the big rear end new world loses a start.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

toasterwarrior posted:

I completely bounced off the Vampire Counts playstyle because "all melee, all the time" kinda sucks in Total War, but I might just get the Tomb Kings DLC to experience using undead troops while actually having tactical depth in battles.

VC ranged is magic and it's a blast. I will say Vlad made the faction for me with his vanguard deployment. It's the biggest problem I have with 2 - everyone except skaven plays so slowly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Raygereio posted:

Yeah but you get 10+ fps more on 11. 12 hasn't delivered on its promises.

Which is weird because Mantle is the same idea and with Mantle I get way more fps on Doom. So... comeon MS.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

toasterwarrior posted:

It just lets you have more cavalry and fliers. Archers are cool but hardly everything.

Hexwraiths are love.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
I think with the massive increase in the number of factions, the intervention armies are going to be so obnoxious that I don't even want to think about it.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Those are just a feature for WH2's vortex campaign and won't be seen in Mortal Empires.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can't even fathom how long these turns are gonna get. Current end of turn times are already pretty unbearable. Factor in Legendary auto save stutters and ugh.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
so if skaven capture a elf gate, they get a garrison full of fun things. two catapults, four death globes, bunch of slingers, two ogres. bit light on infantry, and missing a caster.

also missing is the FUCKIN GATE. :argh:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
GCCM is planning on making custom maps for the vortex campaign which is exciting to me because each ritual has you often defending your faction capital and it would add a lot of flavor to have those maps customized based on the faction, as well as a few other notable places that might contain special buildings.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

so if skaven capture a elf gate, they get a garrison full of fun things. two catapults, four death globes, bunch of slingers, two ogres. bit light on infantry, and missing a caster.

also missing is the FUCKIN GATE. :argh:

It's an elf made gate, like it's going to let some furry little bastards sit on its gold gilded splendor.

vvvvvvv

Panfilo posted:

Oh it's still there, Skaven just coated it in a fine patina of the musk of command. :itwaspoo:

Me thinks you've never encountered an animal with a musk gland.

Yukitsu fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 12, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Oh it's still there, Skaven just coated it in a fine patina of the musk of command. :itwaspoo:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i want to play as tomb kings

Same

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Those giant skeletons with appropriately giant bows look rad as gently caress, like they're Dark Souls giants or something. And of course, the giant scorpion.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

torsoboy posted:

I think with the massive increase in the number of factions, the intervention armies are going to be so obnoxious that I don't even want to think about it.

I have to imagine that a lot of these are going to be 1-2 province wonders and will get knock each other out of the running pretty quick. Hopefully it won't take too long for the turn times to come down.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

Those giant skeletons with appropriately giant bows look rad as gently caress, like they're Dark Souls giants or something. And of course, the giant scorpion.
The giant scorpion construct housing the corpse of a liche priest. :eng101:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

The first Bone Giant (I don’t care what GW renamed them to) I recruit is getting renamed Hawkeye Gough immediately

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I feel like Dwarfs and VC are going to be at a disadvantage in mortal empires simply because you can't float some intrepid garbage analyser around the ocean picking up 10,000g in one turn.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The victory conditions sound pretty promising actually. CA allege that you don't just need 50 regions or whatever and there are fluffy reasons for you to be trying to sail across the sea and beat up a lizard man or whatever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

New Butt Order posted:

I have to imagine that a lot of these are going to be 1-2 province wonders and will get knock each other out of the running pretty quick. Hopefully it won't take too long for the turn times to come down.

Turn times shouldn't be as bad as they are anyways. Its just that Creative Assembly are too lazy to re-write parts of their engine that have been in place for literal decades.

I really really love Total War and Total Warhammer is basically the better Heroes of Might and Magic that I've always wanted (and HoMM 5 and 6 sucked) but the game is full of stupid backwards poo poo because that's how it was done 10 years ago.

Like when you're playing a multiplayer co-op campaign, and you're the same faction (and the vortex campaign FORCES this) there's really no reason not to have simultaneous turns. It would cut down so much time wasting, you could do things while your opponent does and only have to wait if one of you takes significantly longer than the other on the same turn. But... they'd have to re-write half the loving game because it wasn't designed for that and stuff has been piled on stuff for so long they dare not start over from scratch.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

JBP posted:

The victory conditions sound pretty promising actually. CA allege that you don't just need 50 regions or whatever and there are fluffy reasons for you to be trying to sail across the sea and beat up a lizard man or whatever.

And yet Empire needs to own a province in Ulthuan. Elves need to own Everpeak to win.

That really doesn't sound promising to me. It sounds like a huge chore.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Rookersh posted:

And yet Empire needs to own a province in Ulthuan. Elves need to own Everpeak to win.

That's not exactly that arduous though. CA also said you can fine tune your own victory conditions as well. Empire expanding overseas makes sense and I'm sure there is a reason for them to want to take that territory.

Also if taking a particular territory or whatever to win the game is a chore, why are you playing?

e: like this is the mega campaign, of course the elves want to go to Everpeak. Someone needs to finally settle the war of the beards.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I hate fighting skaven. If the map isn't pitch black they're still making GBS threads out aoe effects, their "cowardly" units rally as quick as you break them and the ui warnings about their spells are wrong.

Why won't Skrolk die? Toughest loving wizard ever. And when he does go down after 10 minutes of focus fire/bombardment he's back a handful of turns later with a fresh stack.

Tedious, unfun bullshit.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Rookersh posted:

In TWW1 the victory conditions were always "control either directly or through vassals or military allies" so if they do similar for Mortal Empires then it won't be as silly as it might sound.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Rookersh posted:

If you don't like the victory conditions then don't go for them. Play it as a sandbox, make up your own conditions, and stop playing once you achieve them or you get bored. No-one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to finish the campaign "properly"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wafflecopper posted:

If you don't like the victory conditions then don't go for them. Play it as a sandbox, make up your own conditions, and stop playing once you achieve them or you get bored. No-one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to finish the campaign "properly"

Yeah. I find map painting gets boring once I am making gross amounts of money each turn. There's a definite tipping point where I make a new campaign or just stop playing. Having to fight and travel to a far off location sounds cool to me. I like the idea of having to manage armies as you try to forge a path to wherever.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I retrospect it was unwise of me to become entrenched in a desert war I had no way of ever permanently resolving against a group of religious fundamentalists whose technological level I had vastly underestimated.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

JBP posted:

That's not exactly that arduous though. CA also said you can fine tune your own victory conditions as well. Empire expanding overseas makes sense and I'm sure there is a reason for them to want to take that territory.

Also if taking a particular territory or whatever to win the game is a chore, why are you playing?

e: like this is the mega campaign, of course the elves want to go to Everpeak. Someone needs to finally settle the war of the beards.

Is it currently possible to mod the victory conditions? I've completed the Vortex Victory as helfs and I 'd like to complete Domination victory without killing off main lizardmen factions

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Truecon420 posted:

Is it currently possible to mod the victory conditions? I've completed the Vortex Victory as helfs and I 'd like to complete Domination victory without killing off main lizardmen factions

At that point, why? There's no cutscene or anything, it's functionally the same as just hitting "quit game" when you conquer Naggarond or whatever.

Just play till it's boring then stop.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My campaign just got completely hosed over in one turn. Right as the high elves complete their fourth ritual, the next turn they immediately break our military alliance, declare war on me, AND confederate the second largest high elf faction (Teclis) that happens to be interspersed all throughout my southern territories because we had been allies for most of the campaign.

I'm now at war with high elves who instantly own over half the map and also have over eight full doomstack armies already near most of my major province capitals. I had NO idea it was coming because I was over 200+ relations with them well in the green and we were military-loving-allies. What is this poo poo? Does ritual four automatically force war or something? What a lovely way for this campaign to end. Ugh. :(

edit: Apparently they didn't suffer any diplomacy penalties for backstabbing the gently caress out of me either. They are still bright green to New World Colonies who I graciously allowed to stay in Settler's Coast because they were my first friends and I got sentimental about it. Now NWC still regards Lothern as bright green allies and won't even back me up in my darkest hour. gently caress warmbloods forever. :argh:

Siets fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Siets posted:

My campaign just got completely hosed over in one turn. Right as the high elves complete their fourth ritual, the next turn they immediately break our military alliance, declare war on me, AND confederate the second largest high elf faction (Teclis) that happens to be interspersed all throughout my southern territories because we had been allies for most of the campaign.

I'm now at war with high elves who instantly own over half the map and also have over eight full doomstack armies already near most of my major province capitals. I had NO idea it was coming because I was over 200+ relations with them well in the green and we were military-loving-allies. What is this poo poo? Does ritual four automatically force war or something? What a lovely way for this campaign to end. Ugh. :(

edit: Apparently they didn't suffer any diplomacy penalties for backstabbing the gently caress out of me either. They are still bright green to New World Colonies who I graciously allowed to stay in Settler's Coast because they were my first friends and I got sentimental about it. Now NWC still regards Lothern as bright green allies and won't even back me up my darkest hour. gently caress warmbloods forever. :argh:

Ritual four starts permawar with the other 3 main factions.

You can prolly still win a ritual victory though. One thing that's kinda good about the Vortex campaign is that it's the first TW where you will prolly lose land, and can still come back for a win.