Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So happy Fnatic won, tired of them coming hyped up to every event this year and playing like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lovechop posted:

cody sun's performance was bad but not completely unexpected since he's fairly new. the real disaster imo was pobelter, who after all these years should really have sorted his poo poo out by now

Yeah, I dunno if it's that he still hasn't gotten his nerves sorted out or what. He did some pretty godly Ryze play last week and then this week turned into that Ryze one-trick you get in every solo queue game that hardcore ints. He had some weird positioning problems in the NA finals, too.

kirtar posted:

CodySun's attempted insec ult vs Fnatic was painful. I guess paying back the favor to Rekkles

I'm almost positive that was a misclick of his Barrier. Flashing into 4 people in a 2v4 and Buster Shotting a Cassiopeia into your jungle Ez screams way more of sheer panic than a play gone awry.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Lovechop posted:

cody sun's performance was bad but not completely unexpected since he's fairly new. the real disaster imo was pobelter, who after all these years should really have sorted his poo poo out by now

Agreed, I think it was a major failure on his part to be repeatedly killed by his own jungler.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/TravisGafford/status/918430258285633536

Yeeeouch.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Get rekkt

We all said that Soaz tilts hard, but he carried that final GAM game so hard in the end. Caught trist twice midjump with his ult

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

I fell asleep with GAM looking like they were going to be LZ

Holy poo poo lmao

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

very long con this year by riot to have the EU team make it out from the 3-way tie situation

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
lmao its happening

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

seemedlikeagoodideaatthetime.jpg

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Went to bed secure in the knowledge that immortals was not going to make it out. Goddamnit. Annoyed that it was not GAM too. C9 and TSM pls no choke

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

TSM isnt going to choke, but I can see C9 going 0-4

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TSM will definitely for sure not choke and will get out of groups, and I am definitely for sure not clutching my rosary and muttering aves under my breath while typing this.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Wuxi posted:

TSM isnt going to choke, but I can see C9 going 0-4

TSM not choke? I wouldn't be surprised to see TSM go 0-3. NA teams have a history of doing gently caress all to address anything in between weeks at worlds.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Ulio posted:

So happy Fnatic won, tired of them coming hyped up to every event this year and playing like poo poo.

Fnatic still played like poo poo and didnt deserve to get out of groups and will probably get 0-3 swept by whoever gets to freebie style on them in a Bo5

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Monathin posted:

Fnatic still played like poo poo and didnt deserve to get out of groups and will probably get 0-3 swept by whoever gets to freebie style on them in a Bo5

They played like poo poo and deserved to get out of groups, the other two were just that much more lovely.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
IMT just never recovered from being struck down by the Urgod.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Wuxi posted:

They played like poo poo and deserved to get out of groups, the other two were just that much more lovely.

I mean if you want to make the claim that Rekkles is hard carrying his team to greatness, I'd agree. Especially since people dont seem to want to ban his Twitch.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Monathin posted:

And GAM and IMT deserved to get out? lol

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Maybe imt shouldn't have lost those games, then. In my opinion

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Yeah lol just because the team that gets out is lovely doesn't mean that your equally lovely team should get out, that's the nature of groups. Bad teams get lucky being placed with bad teams.

IMT had 3 chances to get out by beating bad teams; they didn't, because they suck.

e: honestly, they had one convincing win week 1 vs. a wild card team and their other win was a coinflip. Analysts/fans were doing a disservice treating their 2-1 record as an indicator of their strength (TSM is in the same position tbh, though their win over WE is inherently more impressive than beating Gamania Bears).

Firebert fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 12, 2017

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

henkman posted:

Maybe imt shouldn't have lost those games, then. In my opinion

I agree, but I guess we do get anywhere of three to five more games of noted veteran player Soaz's attempts to tilt off the face of the planet so I guess this will at least be fun, lol

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Firebert posted:

IMT had 3 chances to get out by beating bad teams; they didn't, because they suck.

They even got to play Long Shoe without Khan. Not that it mattered.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
We can laugh at IMT getting rolled by Urgot all we want but Fnatic still beat them twice last night. Fnatic might not win another game at Worlds but they earned their way out of groups by winning four games yesterday.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Monathin posted:

Fnatic could definitely take games off of whoever wins Group D.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Yeah, at the end of the day what it comes down to is TSM is going to win TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I would be super happy with a lot of western/NA teams making it out of groups and getting a shot at a Bo5, but I'm also perfectly content with laughing at the smoldering ashes of their hopes and dreams when they go a combined 0-11.
I love worlds, because no matter what happens, I win.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
looking forward to our 2018 worlds champion optimus learn how to play orianna in the next 12 months

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

henkman posted:

And GAM and IMT deserved to get out? lol

Both GAM and FNC are going to get pasted by whoever they next play. I wish GAM had gotten out because they're not the oldest team in League and haven't been to worlds before so they'd benefit a lot more from the experience and hopefully can be better next year. FNC is going to get dumpstered, learn nothing, and not change at all.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Both GAM and FNC are going to get pasted by whoever they next play. I wish GAM had gotten out because they're not the oldest team in League and haven't been to worlds before so they'd benefit a lot more from the experience and hopefully can be better next year. FNC is going to get dumpstered, learn nothing, and not change at all.

There's a new wild card darling every year at Worlds so I don't know that GAM making it out of groups changes anything except for a more interesting 3-0 series this year.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Watching GAM play was a real treat because they understood macro pretty well but not everyone on the team had the mechanics to play mid/late game so they would just draft these oddball snowball comps so they could end games before 30 minutes and teams would pick them apart in team fighting. If they hadn't gotten Longzhu in their group they probably could have gotten out because I don't know how well SKT would fair in Bo1s against cheese.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

fnatic, while making it out, looked like garbage and got super lucky that they were with two other teams who managed to look just as bad and got to play all of the rest of the games in one night.

theres basically no way this outcome happens if they didnt have these teams play back to backs over the course of a few hours

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Lovechop posted:

weeeell im the type of gay /
where rekkles is my dad

Hell same. I’ve had a miserably long day of bullshit at work and then I pulled up these highlight matches one after another and I’ll be goddamned.

I predicted Group B perfect and I never doubted Fnatic at any point of the way (ahahahahahaha). Holy poo poo what a loving group. Marines should have won though (being honest they loving ruled). Fnatic will get pasted in the round of 8 but thankfully Cody Sun somehow beat Rekkles for worst flash of worlds.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

fnatic, while making it out, looked like garbage and got super lucky that they were with two other teams who managed to look just as bad and got to play all of the rest of the games in one night.

theres basically no way this outcome happens if they didnt have these teams play back to backs over the course of a few hours

I really don't see why they stick to this group per day format instead of doing it like week 1.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Yeah most teams are going to get pasted after they enter knockout stage, but the idea that people who got out of their group "didn't deserve it" is retarded

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

its really just another way of saying they didnt qualify on merit. no other team in that group was going to qualify on merit but it doesnt make it any less true about fnatic

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Speaks to the lack of quality of play outside of like the very top teams that a team can look as bad as fnc did while making it to top 8 in the world championship tournament.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
All told gam looked like the second best team in that group but they can't close games so there you go.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 13, 2017

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Crazy Larry posted:

There's a new wild card darling every year at Worlds so I don't know that GAM making it out of groups changes anything except for a more interesting 3-0 series this year.

I never cared about kabum or whatever bullshit but I genuinely like the macro and strategies that both GAM and ANX pulled out and I hope both of them become real competitors. I was disappointed ANX broke apart and that the team that snagged the majority of them A) didn't get Likkrit and B) wasn't impressive. I'll be disappointed if GAM doesn't make it back next year. In particular I was impressed that they showed they can play things outside of cheese vs FNC, it's just a shame that Optimus' mechanics are so behind that they couldn't close it out.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

I never cared about kabum or whatever bullshit but I genuinely like the macro and strategies that both GAM and ANX pulled out and I hope both of them become real competitors. I was disappointed ANX broke apart and that the team that snagged the majority of them A) didn't get Likkrit and B) wasn't impressive. I'll be disappointed if GAM doesn't make it back next year. In particular I was impressed that they showed they can play things outside of cheese vs FNC, it's just a shame that Optimus' mechanics are so behind that they couldn't close it out.

I'd be shocked if Levi isn't already fielding offers from some teams in major regions, which is why I don't think Worlds success leads to further success for wild card teams. Their best players will get offers from teams with deeper pockets and they won't be able to put together another roster to match the previous one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

that already happened last year