Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Real hurthling! posted:

Cool whats ur friendcode?

SW-6985-8874-2576

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I've tried the Witcher 3 multiple times since it came out and just can't enjoy the game. I find the pacing to be awful, and getting around the game world and fighting monsters infuriating. I don't understand the love for this title.

The moment-to-moment writing is pretty good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I like how The Witcher 3 told me that I would make for a bad parent

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I bought Shadow of War because I have the self control of a rich white man in Hollywood. What good games are coming out between now and the end of the year so I can start making my lame “I won’t spend money on another new game for X months”

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

LawfulWaffle posted:

I bought Shadow of War because I have the self control of a rich white man in Hollywood. What good games are coming out between now and the end of the year so I can start making my lame “I won’t spend money on another new game for X months”

an official release of a cult-classic japanese action rpg that's been in translation hell for seven years

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

Super Mario Odyssey

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh yeah super mario odyssey's gonna kick rear end too

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

What are some good Switch games besides Mario? I'm probably going to pick up Mario x Rabbids and maybe Spla2n.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

an official release of a cult-classic japanese action rpg that's been in translation hell for seven years

uhhhhh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

Hello fellow consumer. I just did the same thing.

I will probably rent Super Mario Odyssey and buy Destiny 2 this month. Will save Wolfenstein for late November, probably buy it for PC if that version is solid. Probably rent Assassin's Creed Origins in January . Battlefront II a definite rent in November. I'll probably get to Okami HD in January before Far Cry 5 / Yakuza 6

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

LawfulWaffle posted:

Wolfenstein 2

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I said come in! posted:

I've tried the Witcher 3 multiple times since it came out and just can't enjoy the game. I find the pacing to be awful, and getting around the game world and fighting monsters infuriating. I don't understand the love for this title.

Try just mainlining the story. The actual gameplay is the very definition of middling, but its world is gorgeous and its writing is top notch.

It's a tremendous accomplishment, but I do think its narratiave would have been better served if it was more constrained, like TW2.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

That begs an interesting question, what's the biggest or longest chance you've given a game before dropping it?

I got all the way to the boss of the game of Rogue Galaxy before just deciding I didn't want to finish it.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

I said come in! posted:

Same. The only part I really liked in 20-30 hours was the Bloody Baron part. Then Novigrad just completely killed any interest I had in it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

new record for losing interest in a game, getting into the sea of thieves alpha and not being able to figure out how to navigate the windows store to download it and just giving up

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Colonel posted:

Ys 8 hasn't been out that long!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

corn in the bible posted:

Ys 8 hasn't been out that long!

that's not even the right falcom game, -10 points

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Phantasium posted:

That begs an interesting question, what's the biggest or longest chance you've given a game before dropping it?

I played Monster Hunter Tri for somewhere around 20 hours before deciding I didn't like Monster Hunter. Then like a year later I got 3u and played that for hundreds of hours, so :v:

I also played Persona 3 Portable for probably about the same amount.

If the Binding of Isaac Rebirth counts, I have 135 hours in it and I hate what it's become so much that I don't ever want to play it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

People, please. Tell me, what are the good Switch games that are out

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
man I forgot how good Pillars of Eternity gets once you get to "fuckoff tier" spells

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

People, please. Tell me, what are the good Switch games that are out

Exclusives or semi-exclusives:

Puyo Puyo Tetris
Splatoon 2
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Golf Story (I think?)

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Mario Kart 8 DX

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Golf Story (I think?)

It's buggy as heck but it's also really good

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the game of the month is: golf story until mario comes out

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Oddium when was your birthday anyway

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

my birthday is today

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Colonel posted:

that's not even the right falcom game, -10 points

cant wait for ys 5

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS7dE2Cmazo

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

oddium posted:

my birthday is today

Ah! Happy birthday, birthday neighbor.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zelda as well. I like ARMS but don't spend 60 dollars in arms unless you have friends to play it with

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

In Training posted:

Zelda as well. I like ARMS but don't spend 60 dollars in arms unless you have friends to play it with

I've got Zelda on Wii U already.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
TIL there’s a mutant league football in early access. My childhood :aaaaa:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

As someone who is finally sitting down to do a 2nd playthrough since I never got around to the DLC, I will say this - the beginning difficulty curve can be a real motherfucker and the start can be a real drag. When it picks up, however, it really picks up. Beyond the main plot, which has it's high points, the feeling of going around from town to town and helping everyday people with their extraordinary monster problems is incredibly well done and compelling. Haggling over payment, getting screwed over by a customer, learning what's really going on - it's all incredibly grounded and engrossing. I've been playing on PC with the graphic overhaul mod and a bunch of quality of life improvements like unlimited ability slots, double XP, and 9000 carry weight to help get past the initial grind. The writing and characters are fantastically done, and it's absolutely the best realized game world I've gotten lost in, I constantly catch myself slowly trotting on my horse from town to town just to appreciate not just how beautiful - but how believable the scenery is. While Dragon Age Inquisition was the Single Player MMO of impossible terrain corridors that looked terrible, the world of the Wild Hunt is just so god damned well realized it feels like you're drifting through paintings. Everyone says the DLC content is phenomenal, and I've yet to experience it yet, but I'm incredibly excited.

Also, once you figure out the secret to Gwent, it's a real thrill to play, even if just to crush some random plebe.

nachos posted:

TIL there’s a mutant league football in early access. My childhood :aaaaa:

With the NBA Jam announcer, as well! It's not bad!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Oh the new shantae game if you haven't played it yet

VVV: fair enough

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 13, 2017

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

tap my mountain posted:

Oh the new shantae game if you haven't played it yet

wayforward's games are horny in a way i'm not sure i'm ok with

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
The Shantae games are some of the blandest 2d platformers I've played.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pirate's curse is cool

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'll never forget WayForward's breakout hit on the 3DS, "a cartoon cop with boobs: the game"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pirates curse is intense and great in the back half

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Phantasium posted:

I’ve put hours and hours into lots of 4X/Grand Strategy games trying to figure out what it is they all seem to do that kills my interest and hoping for one that’ll finally grab me. I still don’t know, though creating a species in Stellaris is the most fun I’ve had with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

wayforward's games are horny in a way i'm not sure i'm ok with

Cartoon boobs are good.

Apparently their Mummy game is actually really good.

• Locked thread