Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

I think this is probably a big part of why 5 felt shakier to me; the plot is pretty tightly paced right up to the point where you have your confrontation with Shido. Everything after that, while still pretty solid, does feel... I guess "rushed" is the closest I can come to describing it, but that's not really it, either. I think the narrative might have worked better if Shido was the ultimate confrontation (but then we also wouldn't have the devil shooting god in the face, so :shrug:)

I agree. P5 isn't too different from 4 in this regard. I have yet to find anyone who is a huge fan of Izanami and the final little arc in P4.

Persona 4 and 5 have magic sure but they still revolve around humans. Izanami and Yaldy feel like a huge change, no matter what foreshadowing they might have had. Pursuing the Killer and Shido and then confronting them felt appropriately climactic since it built logically on everything that came before. But everything afterward with the supernatural big bads just feels off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I liked the Izanami reveal because it kept with the overall theme of having to search for the truth even when the easy out is staring you in the face, tapping it's foot impatiently.

I do wonder if maybe Jaldabaoth was meant to have his moment earlier in the story during an earlier version before all of the plot rewrites that apparantly happened. I'm having trouble thinking of a way to do P5's plot sans supernatural puppetmaster without some major changes to other parts of the story, but that might be at least partly to do with the fact that 3, 4 and now 5 all follow the same plot skeleton, which I'm also not super happy about.

Edit: poo poo, forgot which thread this was, sorry.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 6, 2017

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Maybe you guys should put some spoiler bars on this stuff

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah I find it hilarious that you're tiptoeing around the P4 reveal but just openly spoiling the entire end of P5.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Ryuji is the killer

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Waffleman_ posted:

But as a caveat, no NES RPG is playable in 2017. Not a one. Not even Final Fantasy.

I regularly play both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. But I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Adachi is the killer

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
well, he only killed one person so....

oh wait, two. I forgot Saki existed.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Adachi killed news reporter, Mayumi Yamano and Yosuke's friend and third year high school student at Yasogami High, Saki Konishi.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

hosed up if true

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I heard he has a fondness for cabbages.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

I liked the Izanami reveal because it kept with the overall theme of having to search for the truth even when the easy out is staring you in the face, tapping it's foot impatiently.

I do wonder if maybe Jaldabaoth was meant to have his moment earlier in the story during an earlier version before all of the plot rewrites that apparantly happened. I'm having trouble thinking of a way to do P5's plot sans supernatural puppetmaster without some major changes to other parts of the story, but that might be at least partly to do with the fact that 3, 4 and now 5 all follow the same plot skeleton, which I'm also not super happy about.

Edit: poo poo, forgot which thread this was, sorry.

The major twist is very, very subtly hinted to at the very beginning of the game, in two instances.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Beelerzebub posted:

90s Megaten could really use full-on remakes. The stories are all interesting, but they've all aged so badly (except Jack Bros, which is only hindered by the fact that it's on the Virtual Boy).

I remember how shortly after Nocturne's release I was looking for stuff about it on the internet and I stumbled a fansite that pretty much loathed Nocturne and considered it a step down from the originals.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
DemiFiend is still best boy. :3:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

I heard he has a fondness for cabbages.

Mayonnaise cabbage even.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Agathion is the killer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/motherboard/status/917804430459797504

Oh dear.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

That seems like a lot of money to promote a remake of a DS game. Even the stunts for Persona 5 didn't get much bigger than "we got Tokyo Tower to cut their lights off for like a minute," but I guess all the P5 DLC was really, really profitable so they've got cash to burn.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I don't know, this may be the work of the fans and not Sega/Atlus. After all, it wasn't Sega that decided Sonic the Hedgehog should become pregnant, but pregnant Sonic the Hedgehog did become.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So if anybody remembers (and why would you) I tried playing Persona 2 Innocent Sin and was very critical of it, eventually giving up when I lost my save file. But I've been in a lot of Persona discussions lately after playing P5 and figured I should go see what all the fuss was about with P2.

It's sort of like how I ended up really liking Final Fantasy VI. I just put all the hype behind me and powered on through. After a point things get really, really good. Furthermore, if you bite the bullet and wander around town after every story event, you do occasionally get very interesting dialogue from your party or NPC's. By the end there are far too many stores and people to talk to but it still is rewarding in a way.

But yeah, I ended up really loving the game. Good characters, interesting setting, the story was different and unique. I still have Eternal Punishment I bought off PSN and I can play on my PSTV. I hope the translation is okay as it's a JRPG from the 90s made by a small company. I also hear it's a lot harder than IS so I maybe need to figure out what I was doing wrong in IS that I never once got any Priestess, Emperor, Empress or Justice cards.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Priestess, Empress, Emperor and Hierophant are special arcana (roughly corresponding to Megami, Lady, Diety and... one of the other Light-aligned races in standard SMT), so you don't encounter them in combat. You have to make a contract with a demon (Get Green during contact three times), then when you bump into them again you have to get Tarot cards from them (Get Yellow during contact three times), and they'll give you a bunch of Free Tarot along with their normal arcana. You can take the Free Tarot over to Kaneko in the Velvet Room and trade them for Priestess/Empress/Emperor/Hierophant cards (or really, whatever cards you need, except for Fool, but that's ok because Fool Personas are not worth the price of admission).

It's not especially challenging, but it is kind of a hard mode compared to IS. You go much longer without a full party, a lot of the Personas have been nerfed

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That makes sense. I did get Contracts with demons every now and then but I figured that was to get items and money and information. I had no idea that Contract + "Interest" (the exclamation mark) was how you got Free Tarot. Thanks for telling me.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The translation has its rough points. Part of it is trying to stay consistent with Persona 1's localization, so you get a lot of "My name is Nate Nanjou and this is my friend Mary Sonomura and we're all from Lunarvale!", part of it is just the game's writing ("Hi my name is Katsuya Suou and my little brother is Tatsuya Suou and I strongly suspect Tatsuya Sudou, son of Tatsuzou Sudou, is involved in this case!"), but I think since you just played IS it won't be that bad since you have a reference point for a lot of these characters.

The voice acting is very "this was a JRPG released on the Playstation" but it has a couple of gems in there (Sudou's is perfect. Also Ulala is Amanda Winn-Lee!)

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

NikkolasKing posted:

I also hear it's a lot harder than IS so I maybe need to figure out what I was doing wrong in IS that I never once got any Priestess, Emperor, Empress or Justice cards.

For Persona games EP is the most difficult but even then it's still mostly a matter of figuring out the game's specific mechanics hoops it wants you to jump through to get what you need and then you're largely fine. For SMT games in general the difficulty is fair to middlin'.

e:

NikkolasKing posted:

I personally was happy with P4G's plot but evidently others wanted more.

It's my breaking point as well. I like the plot of 1, 2, and 5 more than 3 or 4. I like them all as games in the end but 4's focus on the characters lets me down a bit because I had a hard time connecting with them compared to 3. How I feel about them isn't how the game seems to feel about them, except Kanji, who's great. Also the only girl I could stand to date and have extra scenes with was Ai and I think that means that the game ultimately wasn't ever going to fully hook me.

Adlai Stevenson fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 12, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Right now my Persona ranking is:
Persona 4 Golden
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Persona 3 FES
Persona 5

Lots of people compare P2 and P5 but I saw some 4 in 2 as well, namely how much I ended up loving the city. That's something I never felt in 3 or 5. 4 made me think of Inaba as another home and I was greatly invested in saving it and stuff like the part in the ending where it seems Junes is no longer destroying all the small business and the town is in fact on the way to economic recovery was awesome. P2, with its demand you talk to loving everybody all the time, eventually won me over when I realized these people aren't actually badly written weirdos. They're suffering the effects of a mad god thing loving with them for years. No one was free from his machinations, not even our heroes. Watching that place descend into chaos was wonderful and people like Yukino and Eikichi elaborate on it wonderfully. Yukino for instance mentions that In Laqetti and all that Maiyan alien nonsense became so popular precisely because people were trying to run away from the terrorist attacks. They wanted any excuse to justify the fear and also their privilege when the rest of the world is about to be destroyed. Also watching various folks turn into Shadow Selves as things deteriorated.

P2 was a really good game when I gave it a chance and I only prefer 4 because I connected with the characters a bit more. Also the gameplay was of course way, way, way better.

Also can I say that while IS had a loving amazing soundtrack, its boss theme really wore on me after a while. It really needed a different one. Fighting Hitler and his knights was a highlight of the game simply because they got the best battle theme.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 12, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, Sumaru feels like a real city (it's Yokohama).

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Right now I'm at EP > 5 > IS > 1 > P3P > 4G although I really gotta stress that I like all these games, it's just relative to one another. Never played FES.

I completely agree with liking Sumaru and Inaba more than Tokyo. The subway system was neat, and I liked unlocking new places to go, and it makes sense that a lot of them are just hangout spots. But when there's this whole city stitched together and I only visit two or three spots unless the game makes me the setting doesn't compel me very strongly. On the other hand as someone who did some growing up in the woods outside a small town Inaba does a good job making the place feel like a real home for its people.

And yeah the gameplay of 4 is largely stronger than older games' but I'll genuinely drop a lot of modern niceties to get negotiation. It's why I liked playing 5 so much independent of what I felt about the story (mostly liked it) and the characters (mostly were okay); having modern gameplay with negotiation felt so nice. The stealth could've been more intricate but whatever, I'm glad I got any at all.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, Sumaru feels like a real city (it's Yokohama).

Sumaru in EP is my favorite SMT setting. The gameplay is old and rough, no arguments. But EP has a story I like, gameplay I can handle with a smile, a touch of real difficulty, negotiations, and the setting is fantastic.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

1 above 4, what

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Arist posted:

1 above 4, what

I don't mind 1's gameplay--I'm pro-grid, grind-neutral, overall favorable--and I like its story much more. Maki's journey and exploring the town's new reality does more for me than the psuedo murder investigation and teen faffing. The characters are comparatively flat in 1 but I'll take flat over what 4 serves up.

Most of what I like in 4 is pleasing gameplay, the setting of Inaba, Kanji, Saki's brother, and Ai. As a package 4 is superseded, for my tastes, by the other games in the series.

I also just learned that supersede isn't spelled with a 'c', how about that

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

:psyduck:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
You gotta choose a side. Pro-grid or anti-grid.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Arist posted:

1 above 4, what

4 is actively a dumpster fire, so it's really not a surprise.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's good actually

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

4 is a great game but it suffers from over exposure and I think that soured a lot of people on it

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

I rely on autocorrect to catch my spelling errors, I'm sorry

DalaranJ posted:

You gotta choose a side. Pro-grid or anti-grid.

Getting the MC and Elly on the flanks with rifles for coverage is how I have a good time

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

p4 writing is way tighter and better than p5s, that's not even a contest. p5 is a better game but it's a mess in all other respects

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I have an Innocent Sin plot question. Dunno if I should spoiler it?

Just in case:
Was Hitler always Nyarlathotep? While rumors made real people act crazy or different, I'm unsure if all the people who were literally conjured from thin air are actual people or just extensions of it. Basically were all the Nazis and Mayan Aliens Nya? The aliens noticeably had the exact same powers as the heroes which I figured was supposed to mean...something. They were Nya's fabricated counterparts or jokes at our expense?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only games I liked were p4 and p5, I'm the target audience for leaving the franchise to casuals

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Dragonatrix posted:

4 is actively a dumpster fire, so it's really not a surprise.

We're talking about Persona here not mainline SMT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Item Getter posted:

We're talking about Persona here not mainline SMT