Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Are you sure they didn't just use a vague big bad villain with an open backstory yet somewhat similar in look/feel to Palpatine, and that you're ascribing all the poo poo that happened way after the screenplay was written to masterful film making?

Who said anything about "masterful film making"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’m not sure which is weirder: that you believe I’m praising the TFA script, or that you believe “Trump = Hitler-Satan” is masterful storytelling.

I'm saying you're praising the script and film for predicting all of these things when the fact of the matter is all of these things happened after the film was made and you're making erroneous connections because of hindsight.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

I'm saying you're praising the script and film for predicting all of these things when the fact of the matter is all of these things happened after the film was made and you're making erroneous connections because of hindsight.

He wasn't praising the film, though.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Lord Krangdar posted:

He wasn't praising the film, though.

Ok. Substitute "praising" for "attributing this thing to"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Just watched the trailer and other than the porg, it looks sweet. It's a shame Abrams is coming back to direct the third one.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i really don't get why so many people are latching onto the porg as a complaint

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brother Entropy posted:

Disney trying to manufacture artificial cuteness with entirely arbitrary modifiers

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brother Entropy posted:

Buncha fools liked Han Solo so they think Star Wars ought to be Blade Runner

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Porg owns.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brother Entropy posted:

The whole thing is a Porg.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

Combination of it being overhyped and actually ugly in spite of them transparently trying to make it as cute as possible.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Disney trying to manufacture artificial cuteness with entirely arbitrary modifiers

the whole dang movie is disney trying to manufacture emotions prior movies have given us with arbitrary modifiers to shake things up, what makes the porg so special

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

the whole dang movie is disney trying to manufacture emotions prior movies have given us with arbitrary modifiers to shake things up, what makes the porg so special

Biggest gap between intention and result.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Please stop disrespecting Porg.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brother Entropy posted:

Well, you're asking the wrong person, because I agree with this statement, but at the same time, there was nothing in the original trilogy trying to be "cute" outside of the Ewoks and we all know how well that bombed

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Other reasons that just occurred to me:

- Funko Pop eyes
- Snout like a pug's unhealthy mutant one
- Vaguely reminiscent of Lando's Mexican alien friend from Return of the Jedi

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ewoks didn't bomb

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The 'studio meddling' narrative is easy.

The real problem is evidently that they turned Bullshit and Whimsy up to 10, so that the film looks less like Star Wars and more like the bastard offspring of Quantum Of Solace and Jim Henson's Labyrinth.

O_o drat

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I like Rian Johnson!

People rightly point out that Suicide Squad (or to be relevant, Rogue One) got hosed with, but they showed promise from the very start. This looks like a baby born in jail.

O_0 daaaamn

It didn't predict poo poo. That thesis is obvious nonsense - it's as though they "successfully" predicted Hitler seizing the chancellery thanks to his strong support from the African immigrant population in Germany

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Vaguely reminiscent of Lando's Mexican alien friend from Return of the Jedi

Nien Nunb was Puerto Rican. Same as Manny Bothans.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

euphronius posted:

Ewoks didn't bomb

Ewoks own because they killed people.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Well, you're asking the wrong person, because I agree with this statement, but at the same time, there was nothing in the original trilogy trying to be "cute" outside of the Ewoks and we all know how well that bombed

well the better comparison would be bb-8 and i don't remember people hating on it

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

They also deliver one of the only effective emotional beats in that movie outside of the Luke/Vader stuff.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Porgs are a product of Rian Johnson seeing a flock of puffins on Skellig Michael and thinking "Hey maybe we should have those but Star Wars"

quote:

“Are you sick of them yet?” Johnson asks with a laugh. The porgs, he explains, were inspired by the actual puffins that inhabit Skellig Michael, the island off the coast of Ireland that served as the location for Luke’s hermitage. “I was like, ‘Oh, this is part of the island; we need to find the Star Wars version of this,” the director explains. “And then just story-wise — not that they play a big part in the story — but I knew I wanted to find any source of comic relief I could on the island. And so they were very useful in terms of that.”

Also they're apparently hunted for food by the lizard-bird nuns

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 13, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

well the better comparison would be bb-8 and i don't remember people hating on it

That's probably because BB-8 actually is kind of cute.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Also they were ugly as gently caress.

Cross-Section posted:

Porg chops.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

General Dog posted:

Brick and Looper are both just okay

I agree with this statement. I was baffled by Rian Johnson's popularity when I researched his body of work: essentially those two slightly above average films and "the Fly" episode of Breaking Bad which honest-to-God is the only episode of the show that I skip when I re-watch. Later I realized it was his down-to-earth relatability as a common nerd that won people over.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I can't believe people still have hangups on "Fly." I think you're actively crazy if you think that's a "useless" episode.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
“Fly” owns

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Thinking much about The Fly either way seems weird to me. Like it's on the gimmickier side for BB but otherwise it's a solid, smart episode in a show that is mostly smart and solid.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I didn’t say anything about prediction; TFA predicted a Clinton presidency.

That’s perhaps why the sequel is doing an immediate about-face and saying, nope, the Resistance actually lost. TFA is now, retroactively, the story of how “it wasn’t that embarrassing! It could have been a lot worse!”

But the film still argues that Trump is this megahitler totalitarian figure, when the truth is that he’s just an inept racist grandpa, surreptitiously missing the brake pedal and crashing into a wal-mart.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I don't know, nuking something, acting all smug about it, and then immediately getting counter nuked might turn out to be prescient.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 13, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

I don't know, nuking something, acting all smug about it, and then immediately getting counter nuked might turn out to be prescient.

I fuckin the wish the Resistance were a pure expression of the Juche ideal.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I agree with this statement. I was baffled by Rian Johnson's popularity when I researched his body of work: essentially those two slightly above average films and "the Fly" episode of Breaking Bad which honest-to-God is the only episode of the show that I skip when I re-watch. Later I realized it was his down-to-earth relatability as a common nerd that won people over.

He also directed "Ozymandias".

Even if his body of work isn't super substantial, what he has done is vastly more interesting than the filmographies of Abrams or Trevorrow (RIP).

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I didn’t say anything about prediction; TFA predicted a Clinton presidency.

That’s perhaps why the sequel is doing an immediate about-face and saying, nope, the Resistance actually lost. TFA is now, retroactively, the story of how “it wasn’t that embarrassing! It could have been a lot worse!”

But the film still argues that Trump is this megahitler totalitarian figure, when the truth is that he’s just an inept racist grandpa, surreptitiously missing the brake pedal and crashing into a wal-mart.

Wait the Resistance lost between the first and second movies?

Also is it actually called the Resistance? That's ridiculous.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brother Entropy posted:

I hated BB-8 because it was, like everything else in TFA, a lovely rehash of something from the original trilogy

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

i would prob eat a porg

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

All faction names from now on will be based on Muse songs. Next movie we're gonna have The Absolution fight a Supermassive Black Hole.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Taintrunner posted:

I hated BB-8 because it was, like everything else in TFA, a lovely rehash of something from the original trilogy

A great rehash you mean. Because, sure BB8 is derivative, but he's fun and a great addition. Are you mad because children growing up in the 2020ies will think of BB8 when someone talks about the "funny robot from Star Wars" instead of R2D2?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

The Cameo posted:

I'll be damned. I suppose JJ might have asked for a delay because of Ford's leg and got turned down then and I just separated out the two things (so I must have heard of them separately and just never linked the two). It's all three year old hearsay and whatnot. I do know that the delay didn't happen because Disney made promises to shareholders and partners based on Star Wars being out in the world before 2015 ended, since I was working for a retailer at the time and Disney was coordinating shipments back in like March of that year and sending signage to every possible establishment in June. Everything from the coordination on was "the full marketing push is going to be Christmas", which would line up pretty well with that release date being the unalterable plan.

And given that the real reasoning behind buying Lucasfilm was the Star Wars merchandise empire that was worth much more than $4 billion, not really a surprise.

Was it Rogue One that got pushed to December? Something Star Wars got their release date rejiggered around because of things, and it wasn't anything recent like the Young Solo movie blowup between talent and management. I swear something had a May release that got shuffled back to December. But maybe I'm blurring it with some DC movie or the absolute shitshow that is Universal's Dark Universe. Too many sagas and "universes" nowadays.

Pretty sure The Last Jedi was originally scheduled, early on, for a May release, and it got pushed back when Disney liked what Rian was doing and wanted to give him a bit more time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The New Republic is liberals, the First Order are a weird mix of North Korea and homegrown nazis, the Resistance is antifa.

• Locked thread