Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Just got my season tickets in the mail. I didn't fully realize how incredibly hosed playing the Big 10 Tournament at the Garden made the schedule until I saw the schedule on the calendar. Badgers have 3 Monday and 3 Friday conference games, including one in December. Not to mention that the Badgers, who replace 4 starters and will be running a lot of freshman out, might be sweating the NCAA tournament for an extra week.

NCAA BB Nov/Dec: gently caress you Jim Delaney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Coco13 posted:

Just got my season tickets in the mail. I didn't fully realize how incredibly hosed playing the Big 10 Tournament at the Garden made the schedule until I saw the schedule on the calendar. Badgers have 3 Monday and 3 Friday conference games, including one in December. Not to mention that the Badgers, who replace 4 starters and will be running a lot of freshman out, might be sweating the NCAA tournament for an extra week.

To be fair, that could be applied to any of the NCAA threads.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Coco13 posted:

Wait the Big Ten tourney is in the Garden? The Garden? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Peanut President posted:

Wait the Big Ten tourney is in the Garden? The Garden? That doesn't make any sense at all.

I mean, they don't keep Rutgers around for the competition.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

You should probably read the article, there is no new information.

When a sophomore rings up the FBI and requests all information relating to Kansas and gets the response

You don't write "Breaking News" unless of course you're a journalism student working for a student newspaper.

I just think it's funny it took a student newspaper to file a FOI request.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Probably Magic posted:

I mean, they don't keep Rutgers around for the competition.

Obviously but you're gonna truck all these midwestern teams to New York just so they can be third fiddle to the Big East and ACC?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
NCAA is supposed to release the UNC findings and penalties today. Pack Pride gonna go nuts.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Predicted punishment: write us a letter about why you're very bad and won't do it again oh and these two bottom-tier staffer positions who are basically locker room attendants and gym monitors can't recruit off campus until next year but whatever just pretend we cared and we'll act like nothing happened.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

NCAA is supposed to release the UNC findings and penalties today. Pack Pride gonna go nuts.

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/524991281064607744

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Ruling's in, everyone is now free to completely hollow out entire departments to use them for fake classes, enjoy.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hahahahahaha what in the gently caress

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

elentar posted:

Ruling's in, everyone is now free to completely hollow out entire departments to use them for fake classes, enjoy.

That is the most NCAA ruling possible.

Make fake classes? Go ahead!

Give an athlete a single cent beyond what their scholarship gives them? All the punishment.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/NCAA/status/918839189436813312

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

iospace posted:

That is the most NCAA ruling possible.

Make fake classes? Go ahead!

Give an athlete a single cent beyond what their scholarship gives them? All the punishment.

Ruling this way is now also devaluing those scholarships.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Well, the playbook on the NCAA is officially out. Deny everything, refuse to cooperate, and lawyer up. Any school that preemptively punishes itself for anything remotely academic in nature after this is dumb as hell.

It's fascinating that paying players is a federal crime while defrauding your student body isn't something the NCAA has jurisdiction over. That last part may be true, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous. In any event, I guess we're all free to just ignore the NCAA forever now.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Haha holy poo poo NCAA, you’ve just opened up a Pandora’s Box.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Yeah, they're straight up saying that even though it appears athletes appeared to receive fraudulent credit, since UNC insisted the courses met university guidelines and since there were a small number of non-athletes in those courses (hence not an impermissible benefit), it's not the NCAA's call. So you can open up a Fake School Department of Fraudulence and make every class a no-paper no-exam independent study and as long as you have that in writing and toss a few non-athletes into the mix, you're golden.

Any school that doesn't do essentially that now is gonna be behind the curve. I guess in the most cynical light you could say that layer eligibility was formerly mostly a matter of bureaucratic paper shuffling, now they're just eliminating the shuffle.

edit: also UNC paid lawyers somewhere around $18 million to get this result, which is great value as athletics go and absolutely suicidal in every other institutional respect

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Oh and by the way the same loving day the NCAA announced that Braxton Beverly is ineligible for this year because he enrolled in a summer class at his former school before transferring out when said coach got fired.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
who is on that loving committee

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

elentar posted:

Oh and by the way the same loving day the NCAA announced that Braxton Beverly is ineligible for this year because he enrolled in a summer class at his former school before transferring out when said coach got fired.

They better start Beverly in game 1 this season. Absolutely ridiculous.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I mean....I want to say I'm surprised by this ruling but gently caress the NCAA gently caress UNC gently caress Roy "Aw Shucks" Williams gently caress everything I guess you just gotta deny and don't cooperate and arghhhhhhh i just wanted to see those banners come down and see the tears of tarheel fans is that too much to ask I think not

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

good lord this is not good, not good at all.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
What's the loving point of forcing kids to spend a year in school when it's not really "school." Other than to make money off of them without them making a profit first, of course.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Probably Magic posted:

What's the loving point of forcing kids to spend a year in school when it's not really "school." Other than to make money off of them without them making a profit first, of course.

Yet another data point that refutes the "student" part of "student-athlete".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Remember the massive outrage when Calipari (I think) came out and said that all college basketball exists for is to give people a year removed from high school ball?

And everyone else was "yeah, that's how it is BUT YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT IT"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Keeping in mind though that Cal wants the one and done rule to go away. Most coaches do.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

That's the NBA's rule, it doesn't have anything to do with the NCAA. NBA owners want players who have already received wide exposure so they can market them and the draft, and there's slightly less risk in drafting someone with a year of college than someone straight out of high school. And unfortunately the players union doesn't seem to have much interest in fighting them on it.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 13, 2017

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog
gently caress the NCAA

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I hope every school currently in trouble for academics is taking notes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Peanut President posted:

I hope every school currently in trouble for academics is taking notes.

Yep. Failing real classes will get you DQ'd but passing fake classes is AOK.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

As long as you have regular students also get easy As.

Not that I'm throwing stones considering my school has basically a mansion to house the basketball players but lets a couple randos stay there to offset it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kiimo posted:

As long as you have regular students also get easy As.

Which was such a bullshit argument by UNC because the classes were clearly created for and full of athletes. They just weren't officially restricted to athletes.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Thoguh posted:

Which was such a bullshit argument by UNC because the classes were clearly created for and full of athletes. They just weren't officially restricted to athletes.

It's actually worse if over many years you're allowing classes to go forward that have no pedagogical yield. That means they've survived multiple reviews and show you're incapable of evaluating your own programs. Something on this scale should endanger UNC's accreditation but, like the NCAA, accreditation boards tend to reserve punishment for poorer schools.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Thoguh posted:

I took a paper course at UNC and got an A and I was not a student athlete. It was offered to me because I took a course my freshman and junior years and apparently could not get credit for both, and I didn't find out until halfway through my last semester senior year. Rather than forcing me to delay graduation and take a summer course, they offered an independent study course. I had a professor that oversaw it but he didn't communicate with me much and in the end I turned in my paper, didn't get much feedback and ended up with an A.

I probably wouldn't have put as much effort into it knowing what I know now.

Either way, it was offered to non-athletes. I'm just not sure it was openly advertised anywhere. I didn't even know it was an option until I complained that none of the other advisors I had caught the issue until I applied for graduation. I assume these types of courses are reserved for very specific instances though, and athletes just happen to fall into the group of people who benefit from them the most. A normal 4 year student wouldn't need or benefit from an independant research course, but someone who can't make it to classes because of scheduling conflicts would.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm going to become a college professor and become head of the game theory department, and the classes will be a FPS class, a tabletop RPG class, an MGS 5 class and I'll also force the athletes to play with me in MMOs as homework.

E: For what it's worth I also had a bullshit class in college, "College Success Strategies." I was eligible (and my advisor encouraged me to take it because I had a full time job at the time and he, rightly, insisted it would be a good way to help my GPA) because I was non-trad and it was a technically a physical class with me and a bunch of athletes and we had extremely simple open book online tests, online assignments that were like a paragraph of writing and two physical classes the whole semester (only the first was mandatory) and no final exam.

Rick fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 13, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Devon Dotson just declared for Kansas.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

I'm going to become a college professor and become head of the game theory department, and the classes will be a FPS class, a tabletop RPG class, an MGS 5 class and I'll also force the athletes to play with me in MMOs as homework.

So you're gonna teach game design?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Glumslinger posted:

So you're gonna teach game design?

I was more thinking playing these games, but actually sounds legitimate when you put it like that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I once got college credit for playing kickball I'm not shittalking anyone's cake classes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I took a bizarre foods class.

• Locked thread