Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Lets try this another way. Are the benefits offered by WaPo, even after the cuts, better than average? Does him cutting the existing benefits make him worse than people that do not offer those benefits at all?

you know who is richer than anyone else at wapo and is most deserving of a cut in benefits and compensation? jeff loving bezos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Nosfereefer posted:

What are you even trying to say here? That benefit cuts are good because things could be worse? That the fact that somebody else could have done the same thing absolves him in any way?

No.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Condiv posted:

you know who is richer than anyone else at wapo and is most deserving of a cut in benefits and compensation? jeff loving bezos

Sure.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

so then why should i care about how well the wapo journalists are compensated aside from the fact that they should be compensated better, not worse, just like all workers?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

You've painted yourself into a corner just to try to spite some imaginary internet foe.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Kokoro Wish posted:

Any truth to the rumors that Bezos took $600 Million from the intelligence agencies while head of WaPo and that this might have some distinct conflict of interest issues?

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/07/the-details-about-the-cias-deal-with-amazon/374632/

And there are no conflict of interest issues as bezos doesn't have editorial control over wapo. I mean you're going to claim he does this but either you trust the organization to stand up to their owner if the owner acts irresponsibly, or you dont. I do, which is why I read them.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

My point is that you guys chose a strange target, and WaPo, while cutting benefits is bad, is still very good to their employees. I think your efforts of criticism, while valid, are sort of tone deaf when it comes to the reality of the labor market. Most people do not have even the benefits that WaPo offers, and we should be working to get to that point instead of making GBS threads on an employer that currently is doing better than 75% of the labor market.

if there was a story about labour relations at some other work place we'd be talking about that workplace, you numpty. The subject came up because someone linked a story, we didn't just spin the loving wheel and see that it landed on wapo

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

awesmoe posted:

if there was a story about labour relations at some other work place we'd be talking about that workplace, you numpty. The subject came up because someone linked a story, we didn't just spin the loving wheel and see that it landed on wapo

the story probably wouldn't have got half the attention it has either if people hadn't tried to spin the benefits cut as a good thing

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Condiv posted:

the story probably wouldn't have got half the attention it has either if people hadn't tried to spin the benefits cut as a good thing

A thing that did not happen.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

My point is that you guys chose a strange target, and WaPo, while cutting benefits is bad, is still very good to their employees. I think your efforts of criticism, while valid, are sort of tone deaf when it comes to the reality of the labor market. Most people do not have even the benefits that WaPo offers, and we should be working to get to that point instead of making GBS threads on an employer that currently is doing better than 75% of the labor market.

We didn't "choose a target" numbnuts. Someone posted a story and other people reacted to it.

That's what the thread does.

And then you loving freaked out because you love every rich rear end in a top hat in the world, or something? Or you just hate ~~INTERNET LEFTISTS~~ so much that you're letting your rage get the better of your judgement.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What the gently caress is going on in here?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

man, look at them come out of the woodwork. Is there a signal or something, or do they use pheromones?

Let's try this. Are the benefits offered by Wapo, even after the supposed cuts, better or worse than what you personally have at your job?

And by the way, I never said cutting benefits was good, but i don't necessarily think it is as bad as you do.

My ideological purity. :negative:

Look, let's be honest. You're automatically taking this position just because people you don't like are taking the opposite position.

Also, isn't the bolded part like a literal textbook "crabs in a bucket" argument?

(Compared with my job, the proposed changes are worse; my job provides me with yearly raises to keep up with inflation, if not a little more.)

edit: And to be clear, my job isn't anything that fancy; since there's no point in being vague, I make about $34k/yr.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You're defeating your own argument. The fact that WaPo is currently doing comparatively well and treating its employees better is even more of a reason to condemn the cuts to benefits. In your rush to counter the evil internet leftists you're not making any sense.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 13, 2017

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Arglebargle III posted:

What the gently caress is going on in here?

funny comment when i imagine jed saying it lol

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

Is he currently doing a good or a bad thing by changing their benefits though? I saw two numbers claimed.

Well, the numbers on the HuffPost article (the only source that's been posted this far) are pretty drat bad, with no guarantee of even basic cost-of-living raises. The unsourced numbers someone else posted are slightly less bad, but they didn't make any attempt to defend or source those numbers when they were challenged, so for all I know they could be bullshit.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Your data doesn't even address what people are talking about. The claim is "Bezos seems to be doing stuff that will decrease conditions for WaPo workers" and you gave stats showing workers are currently happy.

How do you not understand this? This is a perfect example of why data can actually be worse than nothing in the hands of someone who doesn't understand how to properly interpret or apply it to explaining a particular situation.

They're not that smart and they don't care. 30 years of corporate propaganda has taught them that cutting wages and benefits is the smart people thing to do because we all have to tighten our belts and the billionaires just can't afford charity anymore, and they relish bring the smart people explaining tough truths to whiners who think proles' livelihoods and families are more important than another yacht for the John Galts of the world.

Tunafish
Jun 13, 2003
King of all that is suck
Fun Shoe
Totally off the current topics but def USPOL related, does anyone have a favorite account of Bernie vs Hillary to link? After all the dust settled and the hot takes cooled down who had the best take-away?

I know that chat was had and there used to be threads about it. I tried searching but you can imagine how hilarious those search strings ended up being.

please don't derail please don't derail oh god this is gonna hurt

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tunafish posted:

Totally off the current topics but def USPOL related, does anyone have a favorite account of Bernie vs Hillary to link? After all the dust settled and the hot takes cooled down who had the best take-away?

I know that chat was had and there used to be threads about it. I tried searching but you can imagine how hilarious those search strings ended up being.

please don't derail please don't derail oh god this is gonna hurt

That's probably better suited for the Thunderdome thread, I'd guess?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

man, look at them come out of the woodwork. Is there a signal or something, or do they use pheromones?

Let's try this. Are the benefits offered by Wapo, even after the supposed cuts, better or worse than what you personally have at your job?

And by the way, I never said cutting benefits was good, but i don't necessarily think it is as bad as you do.

My ideological purity. :negative:

Holy Christ this post. Do you by chance yell at homeless people on the side of the road about how awesome they have it compared to random third world countries? I'm guessing "Get a job you bum!" comes after that part.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

BadOptics posted:

Holy Christ this post. Do you by chance yell at homeless people on the side of the road about how awesome they have it compared to random third world countries? I'm guessing "Get a job you bum!" comes after that part.

Third world peasants are living the high life. Most people are literally dead, and I don't see any of them asking for handouts.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i'm a print journalist and people itt who think the staffing situation at wapo is exceptional have no clue about anything. that is baseline poo poo at any employer part of the news guild or any communications union. bloomberg bna (which kept its union after being bought out) puts those benefits to shame and they're a trade paper.

rather than blessing lord god jeffrey for his endless generosity perhaps we should be...thanking the union??? without which i have no doubt bezos would be clear cutting that place and making it even more of a state dept mouthpiece than it already is

R. Guyovich fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 13, 2017

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Why hasn't internet leftists been word filtered yet

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

i'm a print journalist and people itt who think the staffing situation at wapo is exceptional have no clue about anything. that is baseline poo poo at any employer part of the news guild or any communications union. bloomberg bna (which kept its union after being bought out) puts those benefits to shame and they're a trade paper.

rather than blessing lord god jeffrey for his endless generosity perhaps we should be...thanking the union??? without which i have no doubt bezos would be clear cutting that place and making it even more of a state dept mouthpiece than it already is

State department mouthpiece? what? Maybe in previous admins but they've been pretty hostile to the Trump government.
e: or do you mean just being pro-american or w/e

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

State department mouthpiece? what? Maybe in previous admins but they've been pretty hostile to the Trump government.

Foggy Bottom isn't the White House

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm confused, is it the liberals or the leftists who are worse than Nazis?
According to leftists: neither, but many liberals end up being collaborators, if unwittingly.

According to liberals: it depends. Did a leftist hurt their feelings today? Then that liberal might tell you leftists are worse than Nazis (esp if feeling were hurt over accusations of collaboration), and that they spread right-wing talking points, etc etc.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/918635891870007296
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/918625996491952129

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kilroy posted:

According to leftists: neither, but many liberals end up being collaborators, if unwittingly.

According to liberals: it depends. Did a leftist hurt their feelings today? Then that liberal might tell you leftists are worse than Nazis (esp if feeling were hurt over accusations of collaboration), and that they spread right-wing talking points, etc etc.

:qq: they sure whine like right wingers.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Hello, I am a black identity extremist.

quote:

The new buzz phrase is “black identity extremists,” and since it has been coined by the FBI, we can accurately assume that this is COINTELPRO 2.0. It will not stop here. They are painting us with a wide brush and making us the enemy because we dare demand equal treatment and justice. They are already finding multiple ways to create punitive damages for black people who speak out against injustice.

As someone said on Twitter, all we have asked is for the repeated killing of unarmed black men and women by police to stop and for justice in those cases where it does happen. This, it seems, has caused white America to lose its collective mind.

They want your Colins and your Jemeles to stop talking so loud with all their uppity learning, getting all the other darkies riled up. There’s no place for that here. Just be glad you are being allowed to earn a living and stay in your place. There’s no need for you to be going around causing all this trouble.

Except we aren’t the ones causing the trouble; we are simply seeking an end to it.

In short: gently caress the FBI, and gently caress white fragility.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Trabisnikof posted:

Foggy Bottom isn't the White House

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Volkerball posted:

:qq: they sure whine like right wingers.
just summing up the state of things for the uninformed :)

are your feelings hurt?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Koalas March posted:

Do I have to be black to join the extremism?

I mean I don't really have an opinion on black identity I just want to set a dumpster on fire because I'm sad and because I am definitely white enough to get away with it.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I mean I don't really have an opinion on black identity I just want to set a dumpster on fire because I'm sad and because I am definitely white enough to get away with it.

What in tarnation is an "opinion on black identity"?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

DrHammond posted:

What in tarnation is an "opinion on black identity"?
I don't know but I suspect white people who have one probably identified with the wrong characters in Hogan's Heroes.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Try stealing money from goons with a fraudulent charity.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kilroy posted:

just summing up the state of things for the uninformed :)

are your feelings hurt?

Christ, u mad bro in 2017. if anyone wants to be informed on the youtube commenter take we'll be sure to let you know.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Koalas March posted:

This is why I agree with Coates that reconciliation isn’t possible, certainly not in our lifetimes, probably not ever.

Whites, particularly white men, are a cancer and this world can’t be saved unless the cancer is removed. Full stop.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
finally, when white men are gone, we can set up fraudulent charities to steal from our brothers and sisters in peace

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Volkerball posted:

Christ, u mad bro in 2017. if anyone wants to be informed on the youtube commenter take we'll be sure to let you know.
it seems like you are mad though

This thread routinely shits on leftists and dogpiles for such casual and inherently true observations like "you shouldn't enable your lovely Trump-loving friends and relatives" and my statement which you originally replied to is thoroughly correct.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Under the vegetable posted:

Try stealing money from goons with a fraudulent charity.

Under the vegetable posted:

finally, when white men are gone, we can set up fraudulent charities to steal from our brothers and sisters in peace

I don't get it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Office Pig posted:

I don't get it.

KM is setting up a thing to help out black goons. After initially doing it as a patreon thing, she pulled that because there were problems with using that format. I'm not even sure it was even up long enough to receive any money, but that won't stop certain parties from trying to scream fraud.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

C. Everett Koop posted:

This is why I agree with Coates that reconciliation isn’t possible, certainly not in our lifetimes, probably not ever.

Whites, particularly white men, are a cancer and this world can’t be saved unless the cancer is removed. Full stop.

are we talking, like, one drop, or paper bag, or what? how do we tell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

awesmoe posted:

are we talking, like, one drop, or paper bag, or what? how do we tell?

Serum based differential test for imperialist tendencies and Voight-Kampff machine.

• Locked thread