Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
digital video existed but it was really expensive and still looked worse than 16mm film. a digital video camera that allowed the same control over the image as a movie camera (manual focus, swappable lenses, manual exposure, etc) was way more expensive than renting a 16mm film camera and still looked worse.

but none of these students were complaining about any of that. just that film was “too hard.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Doc Block posted:

digital video existed but it was really expensive and still looked worse than 16mm film. a digital video camera that allowed the same control over the image as a movie camera (manual focus, swappable lenses, manual exposure, etc) was way more expensive than renting a 16mm film camera and still looked worse.

but none of these students were complaining about any of that. just that film was “too hard.”

yeah film was way too hard and sucked and was dead. should have dropped it entirely.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i think 28 days later looks cool. who gives a poo poo what medium or whatever you put your moving pictures on as long as theyre good

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

but the pixels

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

BONGHITZ posted:

a. about 3 million.

b. I'm Neil breen

you can make a good 3-minute movie

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Last Chance posted:

i think 28 days later looks cool. who gives a poo poo what medium or whatever you put your moving pictures on as long as theyre good

I looks like garbage especially the lower light scenes but it's a decent movie regardless

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I was entertained and hardly noticed the apparent look problems

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
the first time i saw it was on a 17" crt as a 650mb divx ;-) 3.11 file so it looked ~unusual~ rather than straight up lovely

cant stand the blown out highlights nowadays tho. that used to be the worst thing about digital films

Aix fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 13, 2017

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Here's (the slides from) a cool talk from an engineer at Vimeo about the poo poo people upload and expect their transcoder to deal with.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Aix posted:

the first time i saw it was on a 17" crt as a 650mb divx ;-) 3.11 file so it looked ~unusual~ rather than straight up lovely

cant stand the blown out highlights nowadays tho. that used to be the worst thing about digital films

i remember seeing my first divx clip, it was about the same size as an mpeg but it looked razor sharp in comparison and it blew my mind

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mr.Radar posted:

Here's (the slides from) a cool talk from an engineer at Vimeo about the poo poo people upload and expect their transcoder to deal with.

brb uploading a bunch of my multi-track mp4s to see how vimeo deals with them

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i'm going to upload a 7z file inside an mkv and complain really loudly about it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr.Radar posted:

i'd love to see a list of all 39 container formats people submit stuff in. the wikipedia list only has 29 and that includes really obscure stuff like roq and svi.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lamo why wouldn't they spend money CGing 18 frames?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Aix posted:

the dvd has loving chroma subsampling!!!

my thoughts exactly

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Doc Block posted:

it was a movie but shooting it was a mistake.

fixed

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

josh04 posted:

if no-one made films with the bad digital cameras which were available at the time, it's hard to see where the drive towards decent quality digital cameras would have come from.

incorrect, there have always been good and bad digital cameras

like you wouldnt shoot on a gopro for your million dollars per finished minut...oh

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Doc Block posted:

meh

I got the impression at the time that people in those days were doing it to ~Rebel Against The Hollywood System~. almost like a Dogme 95 thing but video instead of 35mm film.

circa 2005 i went to a film festival where the head guy was all “We’ve got people sending in submissions shot on DIGITAL VIDEO!” like it was some big DiGiTaL ReVoLuTiOn thing, and not because it was cheaper and because a lot of newbie independents were lazy babies that whined shooting on film was So HardTM.

there were a bunch of wannabes around that time who called themselves poo poo like Digital Filmmakers because they were totally Rebels and Revolutionaries and not just idiots without the budget to afford 35mm.

IIRC and IMHO digital movie cameras didn’t start to not suck until they started making them try to be more than just high end video cameras. which started happening around the time the Panavision Genesis, Red One, etc. started to get on the scene.

nope, sony had a good 1080P camera in 1999 for Star Wars EP1 and it was panavised so that focus puller still had a job

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

The_Franz posted:

i would imagine that a significant chunk of blair witch being shot on hi-8 and still making a mountain of money had something to do with it

nope it grossed only 140 Million domestically, which isnt that great for a tentpole franchise

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=blairwitchproject.htm

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Last Chance posted:

motherfucker do you know where u are?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Mr.Radar posted:

:swoon: i want to marry this person :swoon:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Doc Block posted:

it’s always been about learning about the limitations of things and how to work with it.
you still gotta get a grip truck to light stuff with film or digital (unless you’re that guy who covertly shot a movie at Disney World). Sound is still sound.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

pagancow posted:

nope it grossed only 140 Million domestically, which isnt that great for a tentpole franchise

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=blairwitchproject.htm

...on a budget of 60,000, which is... good?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

...on a budget of 60,000, which is... good?

the worldwide take was $258 million in 1999 dollars. not too shabby

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

nope, sony had a good 1080P camera in 1999 for Star Wars EP1 and it was panavised so that focus puller still had a job

EP1 was shot on 35mm, except for literally 1 or 2 shots that were done as a test. George Lucas reportedly was booed at a DGA screening of EP1, after he said a lot of it was intentionally shot ever so slightly out of focus because he was already planning to shoot EP2 digitally & didn’t want it to look worse than EP1 in terms of resolution and detail.

they didn’t go to shooting full digital until EP2, in 2002.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

george lucas is such a loving troll, i love it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think the word you're looking for is hack

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Doc Block posted:

EP1 was shot on 35mm, except for literally 1 or 2 shots that were done as a test. George Lucas reportedly was booed at a DGA screening of EP1, after he said a lot of it was intentionally shot ever so slightly out of focus because he was already planning to shoot EP2 digitally & didn’t want it to look worse than EP1 in terms of resolution and detail.

they didn’t go to shooting full digital until EP2, in 2002.

yes but the reels were transferred to hdcam sr and those are the official masters.

Lucas was right that 1080p was better than film because a completely optical workflow for film means you get to barely see 800ish lines of resolution during projection with the best optical practices.

shooting 1080 and digitally projecting digital 1080 gives you 1080 lines.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also noise is lower because each transfer of film means a doubling of grain as you transfer from medium to medium

from camera negative to projection on screen it's a minimum of 3 generation of reprints until it ends up on your movie screen and with a movie like Star Wars it would be more like 5 optical reprints due to effects and compositing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pagancow posted:

also noise is lower because each transfer of film means a doubling of grain as you transfer from medium to medium

from camera negative to projection on screen it's a minimum of 3 generation of reprints until it ends up on your movie screen and with a movie like Star Wars it would be more like 5 optical reprints due to effects and compositing.

i thought some of the stuff they got up to with the original star wars was like 10 layers deep on effects, compositing, and then the theater prints

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Jimmy Carter posted:

it’s always been about learning about the limitations of things and how to work with it.
you still gotta get a grip truck to light stuff with film or digital (unless you’re that guy who covertly shot a movie at Disney World). Sound is still sound.

is there a video format equivalent to the "loudness war" with CDs?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is there a video format equivalent to the "loudness war" with CDs?

no because people see good.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

but don't even show me your ditch quality indie film bullshit unless it's 4K hdr and in a 4:2:2 codec

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol if u shoot 1080p my CELL PHONE (based off technology where cell towers were taken down over a decade ago) shoots 4K (actually UHD-1) in a 4:2:0 codec lol your neighbor shoots his family videos at a better quality than that bullshit u watch on Netflix

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

pagancow posted:

no because people see good.

surely something like over-saturation would be the equivalent? Like when people go shopping for TVs and they tune the saturation way up so the sales guy can be like ‘and look at how vivid these colours are’, because people prioritise LOUD over dynamic range.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

AS A CONNOSEUR OF CODECS, I think u are basically doing it wrong if you don't have a $3,000 recorder strapped to your belt at all times to bypass any 4:2:0 compressed garbage like srs just don't even let those files touch your HD

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Ocrassus posted:

surely something like over-saturation would be the equivalent? Like when people go shopping for TVs and they tune the saturation way up so the sales guy can be like ‘and look at how vivid these colours are’, because people prioritise LOUD over dynamic range.

loudness wars comes from professionals mastering. you stuck son

frame interpolation comes from display manufacturers and can be turned off if you have a working brain. big difference.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

your eyes are capable of seeing this huge cie chart why would you let anything less than Rec 2020 in?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CIExy1931_Rec_2020.svg

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

even movie theatres have ducking lasers and p3 gamut and anybody can pay a few bucks to see last decades technilogy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

and LOL if u think those rec.601 masters of Star Wars are some how George lucases original version of the film that old 1977 reel has so much film grain ud :captainpop:

• Locked thread