Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Writers did change from P2 to P3. And yeah, it's really unfortunate at how disrespectful the new writers are at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

amigolupus posted:

I get the feeling Ikutsuki wanted to make a pun about tanks and thanks, but Mitsuru hung up on him before he could spring that on her. :v:
I accept your explanation.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Fetus posted:

Writers did change from P2 to P3. And yeah, it's really unfortunate at how disrespectful the new writers are at times.

According to my persona loving friend, it was between P2 part one and P2 part two, which is why Maya suddenly became Tatsuya's love interest. Apparently the new writer might be the one to blame for all the older women/high school boy romances in Persona, so you can blame the same person for Kenji, the Hermit link, and Kawakami!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I wouldn't be completely surprised if that same person wrote Kashiwagi, too.

It's just bizarre that a series of games that's usually pretty decent about covering some serious and varied topics just flubs so hard when it comes to sexuality.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Taciturn Tactician posted:

According to my persona loving friend, it was between P2 part one and P2 part two, which is why Maya suddenly became Tatsuya's love interest. Apparently the new writer might be the one to blame for all the older women/high school boy romances in Persona, so you can blame the same person for Kenji, the Hermit link, and Kawakami!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I wouldn't be completely surprised if that same person wrote Kashiwagi, too.

It's just bizarre that a series of games that's usually pretty decent about covering some serious and varied topics just flubs so hard when it comes to sexuality.

His name is Katsura Hashino; he has been the director and producer of every main persona game since three, and even though he was only the writer for 5, it's clear to see he's had an obvious influence on the writing since as well (although there is one common writer between 3 and 4, Yuichiro Tanaka, who might be partly responsible, but given the say over the final product that the director/producer, I'm putting all of these bad things squarely on Hashino's shoulders). It's a particular shame in this instance, since a lot of other factors had a big jump in quality between 2 and three, and even more between the others, including the character and plot writing; I've always admired the artistic style, the ways in which the social links better reflect the respective arcana of the Tarot, the sheer depth and variety of the mythical figures presented as personae- this is a good series and has on the whole, earned the popularity it now has. It's just that the man responsible for a lot of the things that gained that popularity is a massive, outspoken, and unrepentant homophobe, transphobe, and sexist. :sweatdrop: And given that Japan, speaking on a societal basis, hasn't really figured out a way to address any of those problems beyond pretending they aren't there, I don't see this changing anytime soon.

But hey, we got Aigis, and she's pretty cool.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
And now we see why people tend to dread Yakushima: it presents the nadir of both Yukari's and Junpei's character arcs in the main game in rapid succession. Yukari's isn't too bad and she rebounds from it pretty well, but Junpei's can end up souring you on the guy for the rest of the game. And frankly, he was kind of already skating on thin ice in the sympathy department up to this point.

At least it introduces Aigis, who is cool and good.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 11, 2017

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I really don't see how how this is the nadir of Yukari's arc at all. I found her kind of annoying before with her general attitude in the group, but I find the overall explanation here does a good job of sympathizing me to her. She was looking for someone else to blame for the tragedy because she wanted to keep faith in her father. When the truth comes in and shakes her up, she reacts badly and sort of just walks her way through her emotions by venting to a friend. She comes to her own acceptance on the matter and resolves to move forward with her life and the current situation. It's the entire culmination of her previous actions in the game.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Except, I found her previous actions also unsympathetic, and thus that scene where it all comes to a head would have had me completely disconnect from her character going forward had she not immediately turned it around and won me back.

Which Junpei's utterly failed to do, and so his later character development completely fell flat for me in a way Yukari's didn't. His arc just suffers the most from the game's general pacing problems. Oddly enough, I found Yukari's arc the best paced of the early joining characters.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 12, 2017

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
We'll probably not completely agree on the Yukari thing, but yeah I agree that the Junpei thing is really unfortunate. It's a pity because I did like how they handled him feeling jealous and overshadowed, and sort of just getting over it himself. But then apparently him no longer being jealous segues into him acting like a creep to the girls of the party and initiating the worst mandatory section of the game. It's even worse than with Kenji because he's forcing you to be part of the trainwreck here.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Two days of Yakushima left. On the plus side, it's going to have to try to get worse than the first half of yesterday...

Joy

It's too bad we have to go home tomorrow... I'd totally stay longer if I could.
But, I can't complain... A lot of cool things happened while we were here.

We were all up so late last night...

Nah, it's nothing like that. We just came here to have some fun.

One could argue that this is the most important mission of all, really. It sure seems like this is something we desperately need after the past 2 days at least.

Do you understand what it means to "have fun," Aigis?

Exactly! Wow, you sure know a lot about us humans.
Alright, let's take one last dip before we leave!
Uh, hold on, Junpei-kun...

Oh, I'm sure she's water-proof.

It is best that we all engage in this activity together.

That reaaaally depends on how you define "enjoyment." Not everyone needs to swim to have fun.

Ugh, do we have to...?
We should join them.
Okay.

We've been quite busy during our time here, but it looks as if we can relax a bit today.
Hey, Akihiko-san, c'mon!
It's your turn!
My turn...? What are they doing?
*laugh* I'm glad to see everyone is having so much fun.
I've already told you what time the ship will be arriving tomorrow, yes?
I'll most likely head over to the port early, so don't be late.
Okay, I'll let everyone know.
Until then, enjoy the last day of your vacation.

Well, it makes sense that we'd get one of these at some point in Yakushima all things considered. I'm not entirely sure this scene was the most appropriate but it works at least.

It's also... the end of the day. Huh, that's basically the same as if we spent it with Maya but less awkward.

Shinjiro and Friends

Fearful Experience

You mean those three? Wow, they're freaky!
Shut up! Let's go!

Why do they always run and hide when I approach?

Perhaps it's that gun you carry. Or perhaps it's the grenade Jin is tossing up and down like a baseball. Or maybe it's something else.

They're like back alley rats.
...Beats me.

I'll pay you the same as--
Hold up.

Your acquaintances have been busy lately.
I'm referring to their activites on nights when the moon is full.
They've spent a great deal of time in the tower as well. Why did they take this burden upon themselves?

Is it because they are your friends?
No! I've got nothing to do with them.
Then, tell us.
Tch... I don't know the details, but...
Supposedly, if you destroy all those creatures...

You mean... they intend to eliminate the Dark Hour?
Y-Yeah... Why?

They wish to destroy the Tower of Demise as well!?
Tower of Demise...?

Yeah, uh, that's... different. Dunno what this guy's on about.

...Who wouldn't wanna take out that drat tower?

...Yes, yes.

And with that, the three of them leave. Notably, the gothic lolita friend has still only said a whole one thing amongst all their appearances. Weird.

Hmph... I can't go back...
Not after what happened.

End

Jeez, Shinji is so mopey. So, so mopey. He makes Makoto look personable and upbeat.

Iwatodai Dorm

And now we're back at the dorm, huh? I guess that makes sense; we were gonna be back today anyway, so we just skipped the boring part of the return trip.

It seemed to take forever to get back...
Yeah, it was a tiring trip.
Please rest up so you're ready for the next operation.

It's fine, we have 2 weeks. Plenty of time. Plenty.

Yeah, yeah.
I don't have any plans for summer break, so I can fight Shadows all you want.
...Wow, you must really be bored.
...Sh-Shut up, Yuka-tan.
Whatever.
We just have to defeat those last six, and it'll be all over.
The Lost will get better, and everything will be back to normal, right?
That's why we have to try our hardest.

It's super nice to be back, honestly. The vacation was sort of nice at the end, but it was mostly just really stressful for everyone.

Most noteworthy is that Yukari is sitting away from everyone again, for obvious reasons. Junpei is as well, which is somewhat less easy to tell why.

Most souvenirs are worthless... Snow globes, key chains, postcards...
However, this is one souvenir from Yakushima that is tres bien.

Where are the others?
I assume you are referring to the other anti-Shadow weapons...
Well, there were many created. You could say they were Aigis's sisters.

So, like, did literally everything happen 10 years ago? It sure seems like it...

Aigis has been quite lonely since then.
Why is she in human form?
Personas are created from human minds.

The only real issue was the form the weapon would take...
If the form of the weapon was a tank, for instance, the weapon's mind would recognize itself as a tank...
However, a tank is not a living entity.
This is crucial, you see, because the mind of a non-living entity will not process human thoughts correctly...
...So it will not function properly, and it will soon become corrupted.
However, a mind placed inside a form that closely resembles a human body will recognize itself as a human being...
Thus allowing it to easily adapt to human thoughts.
Therefore, Aigis and her sisters were built in the form of human beings.

That's a lot of words to justify why the robot looks like a teenage girl. Not really sure if it's something you should try to justify, but it's there.

Very well, I shall be by your side at all times.

> It seems she is unable to understand ordinary feelings and conversation at the moment...

But, uh, she's a... robot... This seems really sudden, too. We just met and it took jumping through so many hoops to get to S.Link more realistic and reasonable people.

It's so much different than before.

Maybe we should skip going to Tartarus tonight and just rest.

Yeah, fair. We can Tartarus soon enough, after all.

I don't. I mean, you'd really have to be looking for a robot to figure that out.
As long as she acts normal, no one will suspect a thing.

Yukari, she's very blatantly an android. Yukari, she has hooves. You do not have to try very hard to see that she is a robot.

Super cute...
I don't think I've ever met a machine that was so cute before.

There are now 115.12 yen to the dollar, an increase from last time of 0.15 yen.

Good to get an ecnomic update after our Beach Adventures.

But, now what are we gonna do... it's a Thursday and we explicitly cannot go to Tartarus, so that leaves us with one option...

Let's see what Mutatsu is up to, why don't we.

This Mysterious Feeling

I'm always here... It's my "home away from home," heh...
...Hey, are you alright, kid? You know, money-wise?
High school kids don't have much money, do they? At least, I never gave much to my son.
I have enough.
Is that right...? Hmph, I guess you kids have ways to make money nowadays.

You're not doing anything illegal, though, are ya, kid? ...Not that I care.
...Now, gimme a straight answer...
Is there anything you want right now?
Yes.
Hmph, I should've guessed.

Materialistic desire can lead to aspiration, but still...
When you get to by my age... Hmph, never mind.
You work to make money so you can have a better life, but to make enough money you gotta work all the time...
...So you never get to enjoy that better life you're working so hard to have.
...Quite a paradox, isn't it?
...Do you know what the average lifetime income of a white-collar worker is?
...Including a retirement fund and an annual pension?

Thanks to me, you learned somethin' new today, eh, kid?
Now, don't waste your life workin' all the time tryin' to get rich; just take life as it comes.

> You saw through Mutatsu's harsh words and felt his kindness...

> You understand Mutatsu better now.

I wish I could buy back all the time I lost...

> You decided to go back to the dorm.

It's honestly kind of amazing that we've gotten Mutatsu to Rank 5 already, and we still can't even pretend to make a Tower persona. I thought I'd have one by now, at least.

...and now my studying is mocking me, I swear. Rank up the first gain after finals?!

Plus, uh, for whatever reason we have 2 days of school before the school summer break begins. I don't even know why.

Silence

Please wake up.

Troubled

Mission accomplished?
The paper on the wall says, "Do things five minutes early."
Therefore, I woke you up five minutes prior to the triggering of your alarm clock.

That girl disappeared, and we can't find her anywhere. Think you can help us out?
She might've gone out on her own, like she did in Yakushima...
I am not a girl... I am Aigis, and I am here.
Huh...?

That's unlawful entry!
Didn't we tell you to stay in the command room at night!?
I propose to be on standby in this room from now on. Is this acceptable?
What!? N-No, it's not acceptable!
If there is a problem, then I will address it promptly.

Well, don't just sit there! Tell her!
You can't stay here.
See? He agrees.
...I will do as told.
Tch...
Alright, I'll have a room prepared for you on the third floor. You can stay there.
Oh, and don't leave the dorm by yourself, okay?
I will do as commanded.
*sigh* I'm tired...
I have practice this morning, so I gotta go...

I comprehend.

If she wasn't a robot, I would take this as a Digital Devil Saga reference considering Gale seemed to never comprehend.

Want To Be Close (Reincarnation) / Time

After we defeat all the Shadows and the Dark Hour disappears, what's gonna happen then?
There will be peace.
Well, yeah, but...
Regular people don't even know about the Dark Hour, right?
That means no one will ever know about anything we've done...
That kinda sucks, don't ya think?

It's not really surprising that it's a recurring trend, but I do sorta like that Junpei is consistently focussed on being considered a hero. Much like with Yukari's reactions at Yakushima, it's a very real and human thing.

But let's see how we did on our finals, sure why not.

...Still not top, by one day most likely... but it's better than before. Not good enough mind you, but it's closer.

That's the only thing that happens in the middle of the day, so we'll just...

Go shopping, because I misremembered slightly. Gonna buy a watch that costs 16,000 despite doing absolutely nothing.

The Poem For Everyone's Soul

Such craftsmanship...
I absolutely adore things made of platinum...
It's quite extraordinary... You are fortunate to have such things in your world.
Please accept your reward.

That's a lot of souls to munch on if we run low on SP. I'm definitely not gonna complain at all about this.

And, of course, clearing that quest unlocked another one. Homunculi can be found in Tartarus, albeit in rare chests, or we can just... go buy one.

Well, once we get a Sapphire we can anyway.

There's also something fun we might be able to do once we get at least one Homunculus that, if it works, will essentially give us infinite money. Kinda. Sorta.

...Well, not really but it'll mean we can save Diamonds for stuff that actually matters.

But that's in the future. I think it's time to swallow our pride a little and give Kenji false hope that we give a poo poo about him, since we might never see him again (God willing).

Joy

Sorry, man. I'll have to pass.
Why?
I forgot I have to go check out that cram school today. Sorry, man.

> Kenji seems apologetic.

So, I don't have time to eat ramen.

Surprising to see Kenji actually being serious about things that matter for once. An unironic good job there, my dude.

I have 30-year goals.
Whoa, dude! I didn't know you were so serious about your future!

I never really thought about my future until Emiri told me I should. She said I'd end up a loser if I didn't.

...Oh there's the catch, okay. As nice as it would be to just be relieved that Kenji is listening to a teacher, it'd be less weird if this clearly wasn't added to his weird "plan."

But, the future's a long way off, dude. I mean, first I have to go to college, right?
All of Emiri's students go to good colleges.
She must be thinking about our future together...

> Kenji is delusional.

> Kenji is talking to himself.

You should think about your future too. You don't want to end up a loser, do you?
That's why we gotta work our asses off, man! For our futures!

> Kenji seems to be sincerely worried about your future...

> Your relationship is stronger now!

> Kenji ran off.

> You decided to return to the dorm.

Like, okay, to be fair: for Kenji that wasn't really bad. It could've been worse. It could've been a lot worse...

Iwatodai Dorm

I dunno, I came like 8th I guess maybe?

Not bad.
That's great! I'm happy for you.
Did you see Mitsuru-senpai's score? Wow, she's amazing.

Dude, those freaks with Apathy Syndrome will be everywhere... Wait, I mean "The Lost."
I prolly shouldn't complain about 'em, since it's not their fault. It's those drat Shadows...
It is possible to end this...
Six Shadows remain.
If we can eliminate them, the Dark Hour will vanish.
Yeah, that's true...
So, what you're trying to say, Aigis, is that fighting is more important that studying, right?
...I agree 100%!

At least Junpei's not hiding in his room ashamed and scared this time!

If you did poorly, you may have to attend summer school...
I did fine.
That's very good.
Well, let's see how the others did.

How would you classify the facility known as "school"?
Boring.
I must disagree with that assessment.
Analyzing your facial expression, categorizing "school" as boring is inaccurate.

Thanks, Aigis. Helpful as... I can't really say "always" here though, huh?

Defeating Shadows is more important than getting good grades!
Any time spent studying could be used to go to Tartarus and--
Don't get carried away... You should still study.
You can learn from a defeat... But sometimes that is the hardest lesson.

I am kinda curious how Junpei actually did. It's clearly better than last time since he's sat downstairs, but still not exactly good otherwise he wouldn't be insisting on it not mattering...

With all that happened, she still managed to do great on her exams.
She can filter out distractions and focus on the task at hand. *sigh* I wish I could do that.

Personally speaking, I find it mostly easy to filter distractions. There's some that are really difficult to manage, though, and the most difficult of all is myself.

Well, don't worry if your grades weren't that good.
With everything that's been going on, I'm sure you did the best you could.

Just don't forget to train.

Akihiko manages to still be Akihiko even when it's not really relevant.

Ah, we've just received this bulletin. More Apathy Syndrome patients have been sighted. They seem to be relapses of the same patients from the previous months...

So, tonight is a really good night to go to Tartarus but nah we're not gonna do that. No big reason why, I just don't feel like it!

Fridays in general are light on options so Mutatsu, how's it goin'!

We really need a Tower persona here, on paper, but it's not a big deal in practice since we can just hang out with Mutatsu 4 nights a week in theory.

Gonna hit the books for good measure, though since we just ranked up this is gonna feel like a slow grind again.

Last day of school before the summer that is summer!

Ya know, if you think about it, we're pretty lucky to be living in the dorm...
Mitsuru-senpai, Yuka-tan, and Fuuka... They're all hotties, don't ya think?
I guess.
Hey, c'mon, dude! Be honest! This is guy talk!
But ya know, it'd be tough to be more than friends with any of 'em...

I bet she only dates uber-nerds.
Yuka-tan is pretty drat popular, so she could prolly get any guy she wants...
And that just leaves Fuuka... But, she's super shy... You'd have to be really careful...
Hey, don't tell any of them I was talking about this, alright!?

Despite that conversation seeming to just be Junpei being Junpei, in reality he was giving us very unsubtle hints on how to - spoilers - start a S.Link with them. Y'know, just in case Fuuka already being doable by now didn't make it clear enough. Granted, Yukari and Mitsuru do have 2 requirements to Fuuka's one...

...but first, Edogawa.

Your regular teacher has fallen ill, so I'll be substituting today.
Summer vacation begins tomorrow... That's what happens when you let yourself get careless. Eeeheeehee.
Today, I'll give an introductory lesson on alchemy, a branch of magic focused on attaining wealth.
Do you like money? Of course you do... Who among us doesn't?
It's human nature to want what one doesn't have. There's no escaping it.

Uh, Edogawa... King Midas.... He, um, he wasn't... He wasn't real.

Sure, there were maybe 3 different kings at different times called Midas but they're not what he means and you know it.

It wasn't their dream to gain gold like King Midas, by touching things...
Rather, they conceived of converting cheap metals, such as iron or copper, into precious gold.
That is alchemy.
Whatever their incentive for creating the science, it's certain that alchemy has significantly influenced history.

Around 500 A.D., it was further developed in Arabia, which became the center of alchemical studies...
The science later gained popularity in Europe as well.

This form of alchemy seeks to make an elixir of immortality, instead of a magic recipe for gold.

I tried to look up and verify this claim, but all I could find was information on Ranma 1/2 and Full Metal Alchemist. So, uh, it miiiight be true but it's probably not and most likely just a reference to the latter because alchemy. And also anime.

Either way... the most important substance in the practice of alchemy is mercury, or quicksilver.
It was thought that mercury could be used to create the Philosopher's Stone, which would in turn generate gold.
Alchemists performed endless research, using various kinds of equipment and experimental methods.
Today, people believe that if not for the alchemists' trial and error, there would be no chemistry as we know it.

In a way, it's one of the greatest tragedies of world history...
Now, alchemy has also influenced human psychology.

Welcome to Persona, we're gonna talk about Jung at some point. It was inevitable. This time it's just a bit brief, at least.

...In conclusion, I think it's a shame to give up on alchemy when we've come so far.
It's better for young adults to strive for unusual goals. that they might lead more exciting lives.
After all, from the perspective of ancient peoples. modern scuence may as well be magic or alchemy.
If you work very hard, you might be able to discover your own form of magic.
But I think that will do for today. Enjoy your summer.

See, Edogawa is bad at being a proper teacher but he touches on interesting ideas and while I dislike him, I can't bring myself to dislike him.

Joy

Well, this is... different.

Since you're a transfer student, you probably don't know about the upcoming competition, right?
Well, on August 2nd, there's a big tournament.
I want you to compete, so start training!
You'll be going up against a monster named Hayase, but you can handle it. This year, we won't lose so easily!
Make sure you come to school from July 27th to August 1st, alright?
I'm gonna make you work like you've never worked before, so be ready!

...I really didn't get to decide anything. We got shanghai'd into this! Stupid railroad-y DMs...

But we'll worry about that later, for now, uh, let's talk to Yukari. She's been here for months and we haven't even said "hi" once.

We are really bad at being friends with our alleged friends, huh.

I want to tell you something...
...in private.

As you no doubt expected, having Max Charm is one requirement for getting Yukari's S.Link which is why we got that done a while back.

...Um, can we go to the rooftop?
Sure.
Thanks, I wanted to talk to you.

> Yukari seems embarrassed.

> You decide to go to the rooftop with Yukari.

Joy

Oh, never mind.
What is it?
Sorry. Well, um...
Y-You might have forgotten about it already, but...

It's only been a few days, so we definitely remember. More important is that - as this makes very clear - the second requirement to getting to start Yukari's S.Link is to be past the events at Yakushima.

I just wanted to say I'm sorry.
It's been bothering me for a while.
It's hard not having a regular family, ya know?
Everyone else has a mom and a dad...
Why do we have to be different...?
Why us...?
Sorry, I didn't mean to lump the two of us together...

At least, that's what I thought.
Haha. Is that just wishful thinking?
That's how I really feel, though.

> Yukari has opened up to you.

> The distance between you has narrowed...

The Power of the Hearts

> A mysterious voice rings in your head...

Joy

> You decide to go back to the dorm.

A Decision

Fearful Experience

Didn't expect to see these guys again so soon...

Incidentally, I see that they've again added a new ally to their ranks.

Makes no difference to me.
It seems that what you told us before about their intentions was true.
How lamentable...

It is up to each individual how he will use the strength granted him...
But, to erase the Dark Hour would be denying the very power they possess.
We cannot tolerate that.
Do whatever you want...

...What're you gonna do?
I know they asked you to come back.
You're startin' to piss me off.

And if you're on their side, then you're going down too.
Like I said before... it doesn't concern me.

End

I can't wait to actually get to meet these people for real, rather than see them doing things when we're not around. That they're explicitly plotting against us makes them the closest thing we have right now to real antagonists.

Iwatodai Dorm

Meanwhile, back at the dorm we have inherited a small child for the next couple of months.

I'll try to stay out of everyone's way, so don't mind me.

Don't talk with him about anything regarding Shadows.

I... think that can be arranged, yes.

I am able to communicate with him at any time.
Please permit me to do so.

This is definitely a bad idea. We're not talking to Ken about real Persona stuff, so letting him talk to the robot that is an Anti-Shadow Weapon seems... like it would cause issues.

Just try to get along with him, okay, Makoto?

I think he's precocious.
He is, but that's what makes him cute.

I just moved into the dorm. I'll be staying here for the summer.

Yeah, we met before. Kinda. How canon some of them were is debatable, mind.

I don't know what it is, but there's something about him...
Maybe it's that he's more mature than I am...
What do you think?

He won't.
Oh, I'm so relieved... Thank you.

He has the potential to obtain a Persona in the future, sure, but he doesn't have one right now. He'd be actively unable to help. Why would we ever involve him in anything?

A recent fashion Show in Milan had an unusual theme: "Life in Space." Those attending watched supermodels wear space suits down the runway, and ate delicious Space food.

So, tonight we won't be going to Tartarus. Mostly because tonight is a Saturday and so we have two better options.

We could go increase our link with Tanaka, or...

We can become more nerdy than ever before. Scince we still don't have max Academics, for obvious reasons, we'll focus on that.

At least for a little while, in places. We should be able to get this done completely before it comes up again... I say now, tempting the gently caress outta that fate.

Anyway, sometime over the next week we will be going to Tartarus. The deadline for Elizabeth's request is rapidly approaching after all!

Yukari snagged Diarama last time, so we can see what this does for her. She no longer has Dia, which is a wonderful decision for pure AI controlled party members. Outdated skills are replaced on the spot.

Plus she'll get Recarm next which is nice and all but it's better for Makoto to have, in theory, since if he dies it's game over anyway. Of course we also have items to do the job fine.

...Plus 29 Magic thanks to the Pleiades is quite a lot. Granted that does mean she'd have 25 without it, which is still fairly impressive in its own way!

Junpei's not quite as straight up powerful numerically, but his attacks are more powerful since he's not relying solely on one first tier Wind spell. He's not gonna get Agilao anytime soon, which is fine since he's Junpei and all.

Kill Rush is a marginal damage increase over the newly replaced Assault Dive (110 vs 90) but it hits 1d2 times. That more than makes up for it.

Akihiko's still lagging behind, as he is want to do. At least he'll definitely get Rakunda before we reach the next boss fight (if he even gets fielded I mean). That'll possibly help, since if the pattern of post-Thebel areas holds true it means we have a single Shadow to deal with next...

Mitsuru is completely identical to before, since she got benched. She's decent enough to make up for it without issue though, of course.

Aigis is a bit, uh, special. As a robot all of her equippable gear is wholly unique to her (except Accessories). Even her weapons are Aigis only, for obvious reasons. Plus she has a unique mechanic for good measure!

Mechanically, she's a bit of a tank and focuses on buffs and... her resistance is Pierce, which is kinda clever. Plus she's weak to Elec which is also clever. Her skills are Strike elemental though, which is odd, but she has Kill Rush and Swift Strike so she is terrifyingly good on paper. And, yes, that's including her Strength being equal to Akihiko's despite being several levels higher. Which is obviously objectively bad.

So, we have 5 folks now and only 3 slots to fill. Aigis is new, so she'll be coming along for the ride to see how effective she is in practice. There are 2 slots left to fill, though...

:siren: Which 2 people are gonna fill 'em? :siren:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 13, 2018

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Mitsuru and Akihiko should come along.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Just to spite Junpei's stupid babe hunt, Yukari and Mitsuru.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Jade Rider posted:

Just to spite Junpei's stupid babe hunt, Yukari and Mitsuru.

In Portable, this party composition (MC+Aigis+Yukari+Mitsuru) will get you a little bit of extra dialog if you talk to them in the dungeon. No dice in FES, though.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Eh, gently caress it, take Ken anyway because what's the worse that could happen?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I like to imagine that at some point, Mitsuru had a nice long "talk" with Junpei about the importance of studying, which is why his grades seem to have improved a bit now. :v:

I say bring Yukari since she's probably raring to fight after the reveal about her dad, and Akihiko to get his next skill before the boss fight.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

If you do badly at the exams, do you actually go to summer school?

any time i've seen this game played, i've never known if there's consequences to doing poorly

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

rannum posted:

If you do badly at the exams, do you actually go to summer school?

any time i've seen this game played, i've never known if there's consequences to doing poorly

You go to summer school regardless. Thanks, Junpei!

You can actually check up on your teammates' test scores if you go back to the results board later, though it never says anything particularly funny or interesting.

Edit: If you're taking Aigis, you don't want to double up her electric weakness by bringing Yukari too at this point in the game, so take Mitsuru and Akihiko.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 13, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Eh, gently caress it, take Ken anyway because what's the worse that could happen?

You physically cannot bring him.

Anyway, Yukari and Akihiko, because why not.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Mitsuru and Akihiko are lowest level, bring them.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Mitsuru and Akihiko come with us to level up with the new bi- Girl. new girl.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

You physically cannot bring him.

Anyway, Yukari and Akihiko, because why not.

He's like 8 stick him in Akihiko's gym bag and let's go.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Instead of exposing a small child to psychological demons, chloroform Shinji and drag him in. Let Aigis deal with his nihilism.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Mitsuru and Akihiko

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Bring Mitsuru and Whoever else you want

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I'm never sure whether he's refering to Ken or to Aigis.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Petiso posted:

I'm never sure whether he's refering to Ken or to Aigis.
Neither. He's referring to Junpei, who outed himself as a dog on Yakushima.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

code:
 Yukari: ||||
 Junpei: 
Akihiko: ||||||||
Mitsuru: |||||||

My Choice: |
Seems like there's a pretty solid lead right now, but Yukari's not too far behind either...

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
yukari and akihiko

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Bring Mitsuru to get her off the bench and Junpei because hitting things is good

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Mitsuru and Junpei

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So, our summer stay-cation begins today but right now it's just another Sunday.

Iwatodai Dorm

Tanaka's not selling anything worthwhile today, so we'll keep our money.

I'm a little nervous about living here...

Almost everyone is hanging out in the dorm, but only Ken has updated dialogue here. A bit unusual, but whatever.

And before the news begins, Feather Condor has a message for you all!

Hopefully this one isn't just lies. I'm still sour about last time.

Feather Condor: After all, you've got me looking out for you! So don't worry! We'll meet again next week!

...And now, the news.

Oh, it was just about Apathy Syndrome. I guess it is getting close to the Full Moon now...

But, hey, remember how I said almost everyone was inside? There's one exception. Yes, just one.

When The Moon's Reaching Out Stars / Way of Life

I dunno what it is about that guy, but my "Junpei-sense" is going crazy around him.
Either he's a little punk, or he's WAY more mature than I am...
I dunno, man, is it just me?

Well, I mean, I don't have a Junpei-sense so that might very well just be you. Don't really know the kid well enough to say one way or the other on the rest, though. Depends where we're setting the bar, maybe?

...Oh right, it's Sunday and all so we should maybe just see what Maya wants. It, uh, can't get much worse at least.

Joy

Although we initially planned to allow "Innocent Sin" to run indefinitely...
...recent feedback has shown that player participation is not adequate to continue.
We are terribly sorry for any inconvenience this causes for active players.
However, the servers will remain open until the official end date.
We hope that you understand and that you enjoyed your time with "Innocent Sin."
Sincerely, -"Innocent Sin" staff

You mean an SMT MMO is closing?! Say it ain't so. I can't IMAGINE anything like that.

> Maya faces away from you.

it said their cancelling innocent sin. ...think its for real?
No way!
i know rite!? how dare they! >=/

> Maya is getting all worked up.

i finally found a place to let out my frustation and now this!!!

> Maya gets closer to you.

I, uh, I'm fairly confident in this one...

I think so.
yeah... we can meet each other in different ways I guess >_>
maybe there will be another MMO or we could hook up irl, but still =S

> Maya seems sad.

NO! we have to stop wasting our tiem!

You're... gonna stop playing before the servers go down?

What are you planning?
...oh dun worry tatsu. i won't do ne thing dangerous >_>

> Maya seems a little happier.

Given some of the things you've casually admitted to, this surely falls under the banner of "dangerous." Not for me, mind, but hey.

if they knwo this game is important to us, maybe they'll reconsider =D
even tho tatsuya's just some lonely kid and maya likes to bitch too much... ;)
that shouldn't matter!!!1

Something tells me you might be in for a bit of a surprise...

don't worry, maya will protect u! we'll always be partners, k?

> It seems Maya cares about you.

> Your relationship is stronger now!

don't mess w/ maya & friends or u'll regret it! MwahAHaHhaHa!
next time we'll celebrate our victory, k? bai!

> Maya's player signed off.

> You decide to log out as well.

Y'know, I get the impression Maya using her chatlog won't really help much on this one. I'unno, call it a hunch I guess.

July's dark secret reveals itself today, I guess. Sort of. It already did before though.

Namely it repeatedly has extended periods of time where you can't do whatever you want!

I can only hope that this one is going somewhere. For all its fault, Yakushima did give us a lot of things implicitly. And Aigis.

You won't win a point off of Mamoru Hayase like that!

But right now all it's doing is reminding me that we haven't spent time with Yuko in, like, ages.

Iwatodai Dorm

Mercifully, it only steals our daytime slot and not the whole day. We can't really do too much during the daytime since we don't have school anymore, but we still have options!

No sweat.
...Oh, yeah? You're tougher than I thought.
...If you think you can handle it, let's go to Tartarus tonight.
We have less than two weeks to get ready, and I'm sure the next Shadow will be stronger than the last one...

...What do you mean "if"? Of course I can handle it. Just who in the hell do you think I am?!

But it's kind of weird when a little kid is doing it...

I see that Akihiko and Ken are... bonding...? Sure, let's go with that.

I heard you're undefeated with them on.
Yeah...
It's no big deal, really...

But, I can totally understand how he feels. I mean, Akihiko-san's won his last 16 boxing matches.
Every little kid should look up to him. He's like a hero, don'tcha think?
Totally.
*sigh* I wish I was a hero.

Don't worry, Junpei, we already knew that.

I am not heavily equipped, and my damage output and accuracy rating are both average.
Because a gun is a long-range weapon, I will not fall during an attack.
A gun is best suited to those who require stability in their weapon.

That's certainly one way you could look at it. Another is that no one else uses a gun to avoid unfortunate accidents, or because this is Japan and getting a gun is both really difficult and hella illegal. Doubly-so when you're a high schooler.

Today's subject is Trish's type of guy! He's smoking hot, and still in his 20s!

...Next is news. Pain, pain, go away!

Ooh this one's easy!

Tatsuya Suou is the main protagonist of Persona 2 as a whole, being the player character of Innocent Sin and the deuteragonist of Eternal Punishment. On its own that doesn't make him the protagonist, no, but the duology's subtitles do. The Innocent Sin is something that Tatsuya does, and the Eternal Punishment is something that only he truly goes through...

But, this isn't a Persona 2 thread so we'll leave it there (for now?). His Primary Arcana was The Sun and his initial Persona was Vulcanus.

Oh and also he's bisexual, and because Persona 2 is rad this is just a minor thing that isn't a major character trait or a thing that he gets mocked for or anything. He's just a guy who happens to be bi.

The Voice Someone Calls

But, anyway, Tartarus! We don't have anything to talk to Elizabeth about yet, so we'll just gather our party, switch some gear around and head on up.

The Mage's Mark restores a fixed 3SP a turn which sure doesn't sound like a lot but it helps way more than it sounds. Giving this to Mitsuru for sure.

tartarus_0d03

So, we're on floor 73 which means that this isn't true. Thanks, Fuuka.

Before we carry on, though, we're gonna pick a fight with something. This'll do.

Mass Destruction / Wiping All Out

"Orgia" here is most likely referring to the ancient Greek practice of overly ecstatic worship in some sects. This was particularly true when it came to gods like Dionysus, and it may or may not have involved rigorous amounts of sex.

...why yes, it IS also where we get the word "orgy" how did you guess

Yes, please.
In this mode, my limiter is temporarily disabled.
Thus, my offensive capability increases significantly.

Furthermore, once Orgia Mode has been activated, it cannot be canceled until I overheat.

Orgia Mode only lasts for a short while, so timing is crucial.
That concludes the tutorial.

We don't really have a frame of reference to how much of a "significant" increase it is, but it's just a flat 150% damage boost. It lasts for about 3-5 rounds and then Aigis is thoroughly useless for a while.

I, uh, I don't really use it all that much personally. We'll see it in action later at least once. Possibly not much more than that, though. We'll see!

tartarus_0d03

So, y'know how last time we got the Pleiades in a rare chest? Yeah, uh, it turns out...

That's pretty much par for the course with the regular weapons we can find too. The Pleiades is only rarer than stuff like the Silver Saber because it has ~10 Attack more and +4 Magic instead of the +3 here.

We're still totally gonna be giving this to Mitsuru immediately though.

On Floor 76, Fuuka opts to let us know that, yes, there IS a boss fight to be had. But it's quite a ways away. Thanks, that's helpful.

Skipping on up to the 78th floor wherein we hit another thing with a bus stop sign. Because that's awesome.

Mass Destruction / Wiping All Out

Namely because 78F is where we get the newest batch of enemy Shadows. Devoted Cupid here is both the rarest and also the weakest, so whatever. It's hilariously weird how it has regular old Dia though.

Jupiter Eagles aren't quite the most common, but they have some fun potential to be annoying if they ever got turns. Mercifully, they don't so they don't get to use that Masukunda at all.

The most common new Shadow is the Golden Beetle, which kinda stretches the definition of "new" a bit, yeah. Significantly weaker than it was the last time we saw it, for sure, but it's still the tankiest normal Shadow around these parts.

Well, excluding the Avenger Knight but that's weak to Hama so I think that's fair.

And lastly, we have the Ardent Dancer who on the one hand has both Marin Karin and Sexy Dance. On the other hand...

This is very common. Very, very common.

tartarus_0d03

On the 80th floor, Fuuka figures out where the boss fight is. The 85th floor is a bit more a trek after the previous fight on the 72nd, but it's not really that big a deal.

The Two-handed Sword gets a weird buff in Portable, as you may or may not recall at this point.

It's not so much that it's made stronger, per se, but it's available WAY earlier for some reason. We'll be giving this to Junpei later on if I remember.

And, well, that's all that happens until we hit the 84th floor. Normally I'd skip this one too but we get a rare treasure here...

Namely, this thing. This is sort of decent armor, but it's particularly noteworthy in that it is also what Liz is gonna give us when we make an Orthrus with Dodge Slash.

Yes, really. It's kind of a downgrade over what we already have, even! I'll be giving this to Makoto though, so that his vest can go to Mitsuru. That way she gets a proper upgrade and also returns to having a decent character model again.

...Or I could've waited like a minute longer and given her this instead. It's 64 Def so it's less than the Bulletproof Vest though.

But I'll still give it to Makoto for convenience. The lack of a +2 Strength isn't that big a deal.

And that's that, so now we have our fight on the 85th floor.

This is normally where we'd check in with Liz but the only remaining sidequests, that aren't Orthrus, require us to get past this Shadow so let's get right to it!

Hierophant Fanatic Tower (Portable)

Master of Tartarus / Danger Zone

Honestly? No, it really kinda isn't.

It's kind of a bit of a slog to fight, but that's not at all the same thing. For example, this? This is the most damage Mitsuru will ever manage to contribute.

This guy resists Slash and Pierce, sure, but he reflects Ice. And Fire. And Elec. loving hell, that just leaves Strike and Wind...

So, what can the Tower do? Well, not a lot that's really threatening. Sure, it can Poison Mist to try and Poison everyone with his 20 Luck (his worst stat)... and he has Poison Boost for good measure... but it's such a non-issue I wouldn't care.

It's basic attack might very well be the most on-paper dangerous thing it has, which is really weird. And that's mostly because it can Crit for less than the previous musclemen.

Everyone who isn't Mitsuru is going to be helping out with their (de)buff capabilities sometimes and also Strike attacks mostly. Which is a problem when this annoying boy also has Dodge Strike to just mock you when you try it.

Realistically you're gonna be fighting this guy with Wind spells and basically nothing else, because he doesn't have Dodge Wind.

Unfortunately, I only have Garula on Pale Rider which isn't necessarily a problem but...

Oh and of course he has Mind Charge. It sure seems like every Tartarus boss lately has had a Charge skill.

Notably, the Fanatic Tower is lacking in that he doesn't have a Heavy tier skill. He only has Zionga and not Ziodyne.

Which is fine with me, but it doesn't really make a difference because I'm packing an Elec nullification. Thank you, Take-Mikazuchi!

Oh and of course he has Mazionga as is required.

The lack of Ziodyne just means he can't maybe seriously injure Mitsuru. Akihiko is, well, Akihiko so he takes barely anything. I'm immune so this guy can't really kill me barring bad luck and... Aigis is weak to Elec but takes sub-50 damage anyway. Granted, this IS after a Tarunda but that's still sub-100 whereas Mitsuru loses nearly half her health.

This may or may not be because Orgia Mode was enabled at the time, but I don't think that gives a defense buff as well. I can't say I've played around much with it, though.

...Oh and Overheating is a bad thing for Aigis since it takes her rad defenses and completely and utterly demolishes them. Yikes!

Sometimes when the Fanatic Tower is feeling particularly smart, he'll cast Elec Break on someone and... forget to capitalise on it entirely.

And that's it. The Fanatic Tower is a long fight because of his 2000HP and his array of annoying resistances but he sure ain't a hard fight.

Noteworthy is that so long as you have Emperor at rank 3+, you can kinda just not give a poo poo and remove his Ice repel entirely.

He's also clearly weaker than most at this point since he only has 24 Strength and 25 in Magic, Endurance and Agility. Weird.

End

tartarus_0d03

At first blush, it sure looks like we're only getting the one treasure this time which is a bit of a weird decision, don't it?

Compared to the last few, this is definitely a good thing. It gives us another cleared request when we're done, potentially nets us a lot of money later and, uh, acts as a buffer to any nasty instant kill game overs that aren't "and then it crits for eleventy billion damage." Again.

Around the corner from there, we have the requisite Soma as well. This was apparent on the map as well, I think.

We just have a bit more to climb as Fuuka remains perplexed by the most simple and obvious pattern. It's almost like this happens everytime we near the end of a block...

And sure enough! We're not gonna leave just yet though.

We need to collect this, since it IS the entire reason we're here at all right now.

I'm not at all sure why Elizabeth cares about whether or not we collect these. They serve as sort of markers for our progress through the tower, sure, but...

The Poem For Everyone's Soul

We are one step closer to the truth.
You know, it seems like people write about both good and bad experiences in their diaries, doesn't it?
Have you ever thought about that?

The rewards for these sure don't seem to match just how much of a time consuming ordeal they can be, huh. It's just, like, spend ~3 hours running through Tartarus for 3 full revivals is nice and all but it's not at all proportionate.

An artificial creature created by man...
It lives only to die, unaware of its sad plight...
Thank you for showing me such a rare thing.

This is technically the same amount of effort, sure, but it's a better reward. And also it was part of a chain so we got a bunch of stuff, really, there. I dunno, it seems weird that the game always gives you a Soma but expects you to do it in a time limit for something worse.

Anyway, we'll give up Mithra and Lamia to make Orthrus now. We don't really need Lamia any more (we have Hermit at Rank 9 after all) and Mithra's kinda super outdated so...

Yeah, it's not a good Orthrus but I so don't intend on ever using him anyway so I don't really care.

You have fulfilled my request.
For your reward, I have selected a special piece of armor.
I think it will suit you well.

Oh, Elizabeth, you shouldn't have.

No, really, you shouldn't have. It's not like this is ever gonna get used. We already have one, even.

The Homunculus request was the last one in that chain, but there's more fusions to be had. Like Oberon before him, Oumitsunu's request will just sort of solve itself once we hit level 30.

There's only one more request we can do right now, so we might as well since we're already here.

Just gotta grab one of these from Yabbashah first. It's easy to get despite being a "rare" treasure; it spawns on the 74th floor (and a couple others) which means we just use the Terminal to go to the 72nd, run up two floors and search there. Didn't find it? Use an Access point or Traesto and try again.

I heard that this katana, moving independently of its owner, lopped off a gangrenous limb in one swipe...
What a boisterous katana this is! I'd like to see that someday.

+4 Strength and +2 Luck sure isn't bad at all. Could always just trade gems for it though.

But, hey, with that we're back to having every quest done that we realistically could right now. There's only 3 still open and they require grinding to level 30 (nah) or being at a later date than we are now.

Oh and huh the Kunitsuna is better than the generic Two-hander so I guess Junpei gets a bit of a HP buff again for a little while.

And we're done with Tartarus for now! Hurray!

...Sadly, we've still got this for the next few days so we'll just have to deal with that I guess.

Iwatodai Dorm

People seem to have calmed down a bit, despite the media... But, there will be serious problems if we don't end this.
We must defeat the last six Shadows, beginning with the one we anticipate on the next full moon.
If the number of The Lost continues to increase, this city will fall into chaos.
I don't even want to imagine what that might be like...
Y-You're just exaggerating, right?
...Then again, maybe not.

It... sure seems like an exaggeration, but it's really kinda hard to tell for sure to be honest. Could sorta go either way.

Then that means...
Shadows existed before Tartarus and the Dark Hour ever appeared.
So then, how long have Shadows been around...?

That's actually a really good point. The Dark Hour and Tartarus came into being because Mitsuru's grandpa decided to try and control Time and messed up. But where did Shadows come from...?

And we haven't been to Tartarus very often.
So please prepare yourself for the next full moon.

Have you noticed?
Yeah.

Kinda hard not to, really.

I wonder why... Maybe he just doesn't get along with kids.
I mean, Senpai IS kinda awkward in social situations.

And there's nothing on TV, so we're done here for tonight. But what to do, what to do... it's a Tuesday and we have options...

So for the first time in like a month or so we can spend time with Tanaka again!

This Mysterious Feeling

Sounds fun.
I had a splendid time! I still laugh thinking about it.

I doubt you'd understand how I feel, since you're still young, but...
A high school reunion is a very important event...

I, uh, I though for a moment there Tanaka was going to NOT be a dickhead and I got kinda worried. Fortunately(?), he managed to return to normal.

For example, I ran into a classmate who used to make fun of me for only having rice in my bento...
...and another fellow who once strung up my holey socks on the flagpole.
Now, they both look at me with envy. Their annual salary doesn't even compare to my monthly income!
My business is on a roll, and my private life is also very satisfying.

Don't think I would extend this offer to just anyone.

> You sense that President Tanaka has strong feelings for you.

> You feel like you understand him a little better now.

I actually had kinda forgotten. I guess when you have half a million in your wallet that tiny amount stops mattering.

...But half a million is also a paltry sum that I don't expect to last very long so...

My time is worth at least a hundred thousand yen per hour!
Think of all the free advice I've given you!

> President Tanaka left with a grin on his face.

Tanaka's definitely in a good mood, since he didn't even make a silly joke revenge threat this time. Weird.

And we just have to hit the books a little tonight before we go to bed. Can't stay up too late since we do have sports training to do for the next few days still. Yay...

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 8, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Dragonatrix posted:

But, this isn't a Persona 2 thread so we'll leave it there (for now?).
I'm sure the Persona 2 thread will get to the point where that stuff is relevant sometime before the heat death of the universe. :v:

(back when I started the thread I had so much energy for all kinds of stuff that doing Innocent Sin and another LP at the same time was no big deal, but everything's gone downhill in recent months and I kinda have to force myself to update that thing now :saddowns:)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

We've got more of that sports practice stuff to do, before we can do things that actually matter.

None of the scenes for it have been particularly long or anything, which is something I guess.

Iwatodai Dorm

She said she'd be here by midnight.
...Maybe we shouldn't go to Tartarus tonight.

I am absolutely completely okay with that, since we don't even need to at this point.

I am weak against electricity, but incredibly strong against piercing attacks.
Yukari-san is also weak against electricity.
We have many similarities.

Such as...?

I know you want to go because there's going to be a full moon soon, but...
...please forgive me.

Yeah, uh, that doesn't sound too difficult here.

Since Mitsuru isn't here, Akihiko isn't right now either. Ken's shut himself up in his room for some reason, so we can't talk to him either.

It's a very mysterious illness that affects those with unstable minds or psychological problems. Its victims can only groan, and they don't eat or talk normally. Researchers still don't know what causes it, but we do know that people can recover from it...

Oddly enough, that always seems to happen following a full moon for some reason. It's hard to say why for sure.

Paulownia Mall

I finally remembered to sell all the unneeded equipment, trash items and... apparently I had a Treasure Coin? I sure didn't think I did. Well, I'm definitely not gonna complain.

I was VERY tempted to make Junpei a Basic Katana out of Power to give him a really useful added effect but, eh, we'll do something better later.

Around now is when I was rather bluntly reminded that this Academics grind we're in the midst of is to get it to Rank 5. For some reason I thought we were already there, but nope.

It's not really a big deal since we have plenty of time for it and all but that's just a really annoying thing to remember.

A Guardian

And, huh, I guess we're gonna get to talk to Pharos today. Probably just about the Full Moon in 8 days.

The Voice Someone Calls

I detect a Shadow! Please hurry to the 4th floor!

There's a Shadow in the city. Yamagishi found it by chance.
But... the moon isn't full yet...
Actually, it seems to be just a normal Shadow.
However, it IS outside of Tartarus...

I'm sure he can handle it alone, but let's get ready just in case.
Gotcha!

The console beeps.

Yes, this is Fuuka.

What's wrong? Is it a powerful one!?
No, the Shadow's been defeated.

What happened?
The little fella's been injured... I wanna save him if we can.

I would guess Ken, but that makes absolutely no sense and Akihiko wouldn't play a dumb variation of Japan's favourite pastime, The Pronoun Game, in that case...

Beats me.
At any rate, let's go.

Remember that dog we saw all of once ever before now? Well he's back!

Koro-chan!

You know this dog?
Yeah, everyone around here does...
We have to help him!
First, we must stop the bleeding.
Man... He's one tough fighter.

Wait, does that mean... this dog's a Persona-user!?

Those flowers... They must be for the priest who died in the accident.
So, he really was guarding this place...
Uh, Aigis? Don't tell me you can translate dog language too...

This fella really is a rare breed.
Confirmed.
...He's not the only one.
Alright, let's report to the Chairman, so we can conclude this mission.

At this hour? That's... sure, okay.

Good job, boy. You're one amazing dog...

End

So, yeah, a dog just kinda casually kicked a shadow's rear end. That's a thing that just happened.

And with that one cool thing done, we're back to normal stuff again.

At least we do seem to be going somewhere with this, though.

Iwatodai Dorm

Unfortunately, the number of victims has been increasing lately.
Let's do our best to stop it!

Gotta wait for that week to pass before we can do that though. If we could stop Apathy Syndrome without that, the problem wouldn't really be.

The wound was severe, but fortunately there wasn't any damage to his internal organs.

Good to know Koromaru's gonna be okay. :unsmith:

First, a robot can use a Persona, and now a dog can?
What's next, a monkey?

Well, they weren't a Persona user but Junpei clearly hasn't heard of Oliver before...

He must be a pure breed.

I really don't see the relevance here. Like, at all.

Do you think the priest who passed away saved him?
I think so.
The bond between a human and a pet is so beautiful.

I am able to receive similar images from all living things.
They are weaker versions of the voice communication human beings use.

He protected what he was supposed to protect.
He's a good dog...

So... why are you so upset by that...? What.

Hey, Lisa's back!

"Wai" is used when you want to say, "Hey!"
That's all for this week! Back to the news!

Been a while since we got to see Lisa turn up on-screen giving random Cantonese lessons, but I for one am glad it's a semi-recurring bit.

Ken's still shut up in his room, for whatever that's worth.

It's a Thursday and we're not off to Tartarus, so that means we get to spend time with Mutatsu again.

Although, as you might recall from before, it IS just spending time since we didn't have enough points to get a rank up.

That's nicely fixed itself now though, so the next time we see Mutatsu it'll net us another rank.

But for today we've got another Dark Hour event! This one's got to be what we'd expect.

The Voice Someone Calls

Yep, mostly back to our normal night time events of being bugged by a small child.

It's becoming quite lively around you.
So, how are you getting along with the others?
Not bad.
I'm glad to hear that.
...It is one week until the next full moon.
Are you prepared...?

Oh good, that makes two of us.

However, you should still remain cautious.
I'll come to see you again.

> Pharos has disappeared...

But, of course, before we can even pretend to worry about the Full Moon coming up in a week...

We've got more of this to deal with. Not much more, but still... more.

Iwatodai Dorm

My friends get scared when they see them.
People don't even feel safe walking around town.
We have to do something about it.

And, yes, we will do something about it. In 6 days, when we can.

I've been researching the possibility for a long time, but I never thought it was true.
I mean, can you imagine? A dog using a Persona! A dog! I'm...
Pet-rified.
Oh! You read my mind!
Hmm, I didn't know you were so funny.

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not that we get to out-Ikutsuki Ikutsuki, but I will take that opportunity every day of the week anyway.

I try to stay up as late as you guys, but I'm always the first one to fall asleep.
What do you guys do when you're up so late?
Study.

Well, it's not a lie. At least as far as Makoto's concerned.

Wow... High school must be really hard.

The problem particularly affects Apathy Syndrome victims, since they are unable to move...

This seems like such an obvious concern that it's a bit of a surprise that it hasn't come up before, really.

Moving on from that, we'll head right on back to a nightclub to hang out with a rad monk.

This Mysterious Feeling

Hey, can ya help me out, kid...? I don't feel so good...
Dammit... I can't believe I let this happen...
Ugh... I'm in bad shape...
You should go home.
Yeah, you're right, kid... I should go home and sleep...

But, even if I go home...

The Heart Sutra is a very well-known Buddhist scripture. It might be the most famous, even.

Before, no matter how much I drank, all I needed was a cold shower to snap outta it. Guess I'm gettin' old, heh...
It's times like these I wish I didn't live alone...
What about the others?
Others? Heh, you mean other monks?

...If ya think about it, livin' alone's probably the best thing a person could do...
You don't hafta wait for someone else to get outta the bathroom when ya need to go. My son took forever in there.
...Yeah, livin' alone is the way to achieve peace and serenity!
...All things visible are bound to change and disappear...

And yet, they're all different from each other. All things in this world are unique.
To put it simply...
No matter how hard you try to live your life right, someone else can always mess it up.
All things are unique, yet they are not singular...
Maybe you've messed up my life a bit, too. Heheh...

> You saw through Mutatsu's harsh words and felt his kindness...

> You understand Mutatsu better now.

Oh, yeah, about the memorial service...
The kid was only 19... a random murder victim. What a harsh world we live in...
You be careful on your way home, okay, kid?

> You decided to go back to the dorm.

Mutatsu, you're cool and all but maybe - just maybe - getting plastered tonight wasn't the best idea.

Oh well, not like that's really my problem anyway. My biggest problems right now are the looming full moon, the sports thing and needing to hit these books.

Last day of practice. This better have been worth it!

You're doing great, Makoto-kun!
You've beaten everyone on the team! I'll be rooting for you! Good luck!

Welp, we're officially the best in the Kendo Club. Y'know, as opposed to before when we were officially the best in the Kendo Club.

Iwatodai Dorm

Well, you better win.
...Watch out for Mamoru, though.
He's a tough competitor.
Hey, I've heard that name before...
He's pretty famous, bro. I saw him in a sports magazine.
Dude, guys like him are insane... You're gonna get your rear end handed to you on a platter, so what's the point?
Well, I guess the full moon is coming up soon, so you can think of it as training.

I mean, it's not like it's even comparable so I'm not sure it'd be very effective.

Yes, very.
I understand how you feel, but Koromaru has a professional veterinarian tending to him, so he'll be fine.
You should be focusing your attention on the full moon that is coming up.

Well, for some reason it reminded me of something Mitsuru-senpai was talking about.
Normal Shadows don't appear outside Tartarus...
But, there are irregular ones that do.
Only our senpai have seen them.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. I mean, yes, if you discount all the Shadows that appear outside of Tartarus only irregular ones appear outside of Tartarus.

And apparently the Full Moon fights don't count as irregular...?

It will learn both support skills and physical abilities.
I will be a valuable ally on the front line in battle.

How do you drink your coffee, Makoto-san?
With hot sauce.

You mean, like hot sauce used to make your food spicy?
You're just kidding, right? I mean, no one would put hot sauce in their coffee... would they?

Does Makoto really seem like someone who would joke?

I mean, really now. Hot Sauce Coffee is serious business and you shouldn't take it lightly.

Make sure you have enough water, and keep your energy up! Now let's join our regular reporters back in the studio.

If they hadn't been found in time, they could have died, so be careful out there...

Not much left to do tonight, so we'll just get some last minute studying in.

We've got the dumb sports tournament thingy tomorrow to deal with and then hopefully a few days of proper respite before the full moon...

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 13, 2018

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Yaaaay Koromaru! :neckbeard:

...ahem.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Oh no it is 86 degrees outside. It is so hot. It is too hot. People will die. This is a bad heat wave. :what:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Remember, Japan goes on Celcius. That means it's close to literally boiling outside and everything is likely on fire. :supaburn:

Also, they're specifically talking about the danger to the Lost, who literally sit/stand around with no capacity to move themselves out of the heat and/or desire to replenish fluids.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 18, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Oh look, the best character is back.

Well, for like half a scene. But still!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Commander Keene posted:

Remember, Japan goes on Celcius. That means it's close to literally boiling outside and everything is likely on fire. :supaburn:

Yeah, what. Did they translate it to Fahrenheit for the US release? 86 is way too hot for Celsius!

StandardVC10 posted:

Yaaaay Koromaru! :neckbeard:

Seconding this. I know we fight the full moon shadows outside of Tartarus but you'd think the crew would be more concerned about ones appearing on other days.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
86F is approximately 30 degrees Celcius. Which is a fairly warm day, but not actually anything too unusual for a hot phase of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

86F is approximately 30 degrees Celcius. Which is a fairly warm day, but not actually anything too unusual for a hot phase of the year.

To people used to warmer climates maybe, but anything above 25 can do some serious damage in cooler locations. Everyone in England shits a brick at the 2 weeks of that we get.