Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

One of the reasons I bought here was a distinct lack of inspections and permits. It's completely open use land, which has inherent pitfalls (they could build a landfill next door), but the rewards are way worth it. I can build whatever I want, I can shoot on my own on-site range, and generally be further away from the reaches of the local gubmint.

I agree that the deal seems pretty good, I shopped around and got similar prices through a bunch or building retailers. Concrete is stupid cheap around here, and as mentioned earlier labor is cheap as well. Median income is like $41USD for a family out this way, yet my neighborhood is full of $500k+ homes. Being this close to Asheville pushes a weird economy.

I’m in the south and if I could get that built with concrete for that price no tricks I’d be calling them right now. Just chiming in to say BE CAREFUL MAN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
The Craigslist thread was talking about BMW X3's and X5's, and it occurred to me that those are something that's in my head as "chick cars". 75%+ of the time I see those, they're being driven by a middle-aged white woman. Mazda Miata's and Mustang Convertibles are (or at least used to be) considered "chick cars", but I've seen way more of the former that are clearly beaters that are driven hard. If you're going purely by gender, I'd say I see way more generic crossovers like the BMW's and SUV's driven by women than I do things like a Miata, so are there other cars that have become "chick cars" or was the Miata thing never accurate to begin with?

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

everdave posted:

I’m in the south and if I could get that built with concrete for that price no tricks I’d be calling them right now. Just chiming in to say BE CAREFUL MAN.

I'm not like giving out my CC# or anything without solid deets if that's what y'all are worried about.

boxen posted:

The Craigslist thread was talking about BMW X3's and X5's, and it occurred to me that those are something that's in my head as "chick cars". 75%+ of the time I see those, they're being driven by a middle-aged white woman. Mazda Miata's and Mustang Convertibles are (or at least used to be) considered "chick cars", but I've seen way more of the former that are clearly beaters that are driven hard. If you're going purely by gender, I'd say I see way more generic crossovers like the BMW's and SUV's driven by women than I do things like a Miata, so are there other cars that have become "chick cars" or was the Miata thing never accurate to begin with?

Data point: my wife drives an X5.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Those metal building deals are legit, generally speaking. Usually when you get into the details you'll end up wanting something not included or whatever. And the slab as priced will be thinner than you probably want for doing real car work - expecting it to handle point load like jack stands.

Realize that it's basically a metal carport frame with an enclosure kit. That's not a knock on them, but that's why it's cheap. There's not a lot to it. I was going to get one until I moved and the big shop landed in my lap.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

angryrobots posted:

Those metal building deals are legit, generally speaking. Usually when you get into the details you'll end up wanting something not included or whatever. And the slab as priced will be thinner than you probably want for doing real car work - expecting it to handle point load like jack stands.

Realize that it's basically a metal carport frame with an enclosure kit. That's not a knock on them, but that's why it's cheap. There's not a lot to it. I was going to get one until I moved and the big shop landed in my lap.

This is what I'm expecting. A 2" concrete slab in the quote. Obv's I'll pony up for 4" 3000psi stuff that the lift manufacturers call for.

e: just got an email back from the place in that CL ad:
Mr. Klein,

Thank you for showing interest in Tarheel Metal Structures. The quote, $12,227 includes the noncertified 30x48x12 metal building with concrete, up to 3 hours of grading, (2) 10' wide by 7' tall roll up doors going on the 30' gable (A-frame) end, (1) 36" by 80" walk in door, (2) windows, roof insulation and soffit, as well as getting your building delivered to you and fully installed.

The concrete pad is a 4" thick pad poured at 3000 psi with mesh fiber added throughout. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Jennifer

So, that's cool.

Garage2Roadtrip fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 12, 2017

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

This is what I'm expecting. A 2" concrete slab in the quote. Obv's I'll pony up for 4" 3000psi stuff that the lift manufacturers call for.

e: just got an email back from the place in that CL ad:
Mr. Klein,

Thank you for showing interest in Tarheel Metal Structures. The quote, $12,227 includes the noncertified 30x48x12 metal building with concrete, up to 3 hours of grading, (2) 10' wide by 7' tall roll up doors going on the 30' gable (A-frame) end, (1) 36" by 80" walk in door, (2) windows, roof insulation and soffit, as well as getting your building delivered to you and fully installed.

The concrete pad is a 4" thick pad poured at 3000 psi with mesh fiber added throughout. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Jennifer

So, that's cool.

Again just be careful just looking out for people here don’t believe anything a craigslist garage as says.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

everdave posted:

everdave posted:

Again just be careful just looking out for people here don’t believe anything a craigslist garage as says.

I think you need to call Jennifer.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mesh fibre is not the same as rebar reinforced concrete and don't let anyone tell you it is. If you want to put fibre in with the rebar, that's fine, but don't do it in place of it.

Proper site prep, grading for a 30x48 pad, let alone if you want to do a driveway is many, many hours work. 3 hours is nowhere near enough unless there is a literal army of people working on it. You also will need crush (probably 2-4"?) leveled and properly packed to put that concrete on. I know you are in the south and the hard freeze/thaws the rest of us have are foreign to you, but you still need to proper site prep and use good reinforced concrete, especially if you have any inclination to put in a lift.

Be careful man, a screw up with the concrete is pretty much the worst thing that can happen as you have 1 shot at it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So get someone to prep and grade first, then bring Jennifer in to slap the shed up. Maybe distract them at lunch time and toss some rebar in.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The fibers mixed into the concrete help with cracks that form during the initial curing, but do not add the tensile strength you're looking for with concrete pad that is meant to be a work surface.

However rebar IMO is also overkill. It's a ton of work to rebar reinforce a slab. I would look into getting welded wire fabric installed. It doesn't take too awful long to properly suspend, and will add a literal ton of tensile strength.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!! PROJECT BINKY TOMORROW NEW EPISODE ALERT 8PM GST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is up for patreon supporters. :iia:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Blade Runner is Good. Very good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Galler posted:

This is up for patreon supporters. :iia:

The amount of re-fabricating / re-engineering they do is mindblowing. I hate having to redo something like that because it probably means I did it wrong the first time and now all that work is "wasted".

Also, the puns in this one :vince:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Blade Runner is Good. Very good.

Going to see this tomorrow night. How important is it that I have watched the original? It's probably been drat near 10 years since I watched it last.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

The amount of re-fabricating / re-engineering they do is mindblowing. I hate having to redo something like that because it probably means I did it wrong the first time and now all that work is "wasted".

Also, the puns in this one :vince:

Going to see this tomorrow night. How important is it that I have watched the original? It's probably been drat near 10 years since I watched it last.

Not important at all to have watched the original. There is one small scene (you'll know it, in the water room) very late in the film that tugs your heartstrings a tiny bit more if you have seen the first film at all.

I'm so glad that 2049 exists. Ridley Scott took his time with some scenes, and the world is built up so goddamned much. Try to go at like a matinee or something like I did so you can get an emptier theater. I was literally the only person in mine and it made the silence and tones that much more powerful. Really, really good.

Here's a copy/paste from the EMS thread I posted in case anybody hasn't seen some of the crazier clips my partner and I took while on shift as EMTs. The context of the conversation was Ford 6.0hnos.

AMR in Phoenix (AMR/Southwest/Lifeline (nee PMT) has moved to primarily Transits. We have like maybe 60 fielded, and they are all generally awesome. The Trauma Hawk ones are my favorite.

windshipper posted:

Holy :laffo:

And that is why I say generally! But we have a couple of international rigs in this department that are over 200k miles, and there's another one floating around that's over 300k miles.

Yeah. On that rig, I drove it 50% of those 70k miles, and my partner drove the other 50. It wasn't used for any other crews, as we had started receiving the Transits and crews were moving from boxes once they hit their service life (500k miles then first major breakdown) straight into them. Our box broke, and we ordered three of these E350 hightops with the 6.0 diesels as stopgaps. We were the first crew to receive one, and they made it our dedicated ride. The other two broke down immediately and were shelved, but they kept repairing ours.

The truck didn't have an inverter, so it was BLS-only. Literally nobody else drove it (most crews are ALS) and we were one of the few BLS crews at the time. I polished that turd up with an aux input FM modulator, LED lights in the rear (came with incandescents, swapped a rolled box truck's lights out), new seat padding, etc. But on the loving dot every 12k it would start losing power, then rolling coal, then strand us somewhere all within 100 miles.

It had so many whole engine swaps that they left a fully-dressed engine in the bay, all accessories bolted on, on a subframe, ready to pop in so we could be out the next day or two. One of the swaps, they didn't tie the engine wiring harness down or something and it chafed through a wire for the reverse lights. They forced us to drive with it like this for about two weeks before we threw enough poo poo that they finally fixed it. As the truck warmed up it would get "better" and only beep over speed bumps, as the wiring loom heated up and expanded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dC1sqYdqFw

One day we hit a big bump after dropping a psych patient off in Tucson, and it started the rear door alarm. No amount of futzing with the rear door switch or anything turned it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS_LMSXmu_s

We took it multiple times up to Mingus Mountain Academy. This video is with a dry road, but imagine it all muddy and covered in snow. We were dedicated to all Mingus calls, as the Transits didn't have enough ground clearance to get over some humps (not shown in the video), and we were the only crew in Phoenix with snow chains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCS7vAabAZw&t=187s
(the sirens are done according to signs that say honk or siren every blind hill and corner)

Here's our original box. Threw a rod. It may or may not have done so because it sounded like it was running on less than 7 cylinders at beginning of shift. I told the mechanics, they told us to run it. It got worse and worse and may have gotten stuck in first gear for a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKfLrm8dlyo

Bonus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkBEKSc3jIM

Never change, Phoenix :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRSp64N9leI

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

World Time Attack Challenge is on again. Heres the live Stream : https://www.worldtimeattack.com/index.php/live-stream/

Im going to the drift practice and show and shine tonight, and the main event tomorrow. will be taking heaps of pictures and throwing up a thread later probably.

a few cars are already DNF due to engine failures and fires.

this is seriously the best day out for car dorks in our fair country. so much cool poo poo going on.

Highlights this year will be the Mazda 767 doing demo laps and the international drift challenge featuring a few big names from Japan and Mad Mike.

it will be a good time :)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

IOwnCalculus posted:

How important is it that I have watched the original? It's probably been drat near 10 years since I watched it last.
As mentioned, not important. The only important bit is going into 2049 knowing as little about it as possible.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Not important at all to have watched the original. There is one small scene (you'll know it, in the water room) very late in the film that tugs your heartstrings a tiny bit more if you have seen the first film at all.

I'm so glad that 2049 exists. Ridley Scott took his time with some scenes, and the world is built up so goddamned much. Try to go at like a matinee or something like I did so you can get an emptier theater. I was literally the only person in mine and it made the silence and tones that much more powerful. Really, really good.

Did Ridley Scott even have anything to do with 2049? He wasn't the director or listed as a producer, and isn't even mentioned in any materials relating to 2049 besides mentions to the first film. Regardless, it is super fantastic.

Lucky's Market just opened up less than 5 minutes away from our house and boy you know you are an ""adult"" when you get excited for washing machines and travel times toward grocery stores. I don't even have to cross any major roads at all! And they have good simple stuff too, I am now filled with italian beefs that we had made, waiting to make room to dig into a cherry pie. A++ would recommend.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Lucky's Market just opened up less than 5 minutes away from our house and boy you know you are an ""adult"" when you get excited for washing machines and travel times toward grocery stores. I don't even have to cross any major roads at all! And they have good simple stuff too, I am now filled with italian beefs that we had made, waiting to make room to dig into a cherry pie. A++ would recommend.

Oh man, we are having one open right across the street from us as well, we got all excited when we got a promotional flyer showing how cheap we can get organic produce. How would you rate it compared to Publix?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Got a new vision scrip today and they had to dilate my eyes and MAN that was fun.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Better your eyes than your anus lol

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I hate that new prescription feeling where I'm _aware_ that my vision is less than perfect for the week or so it takes to make new glasses.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Goober Peas posted:

Better your eyes than your anus lol

Did you buy a bottle of my hot sauce? Because that opens the anus up pretty drat well.

Safety Dance posted:

I hate that new prescription feeling where I'm _aware_ that my vision is less than perfect for the week or so it takes to make new glasses.

My right eye was unchanged and the left is just a tad weaker. Got some contacts and gonna go back with my fiance to pick out some nice new daily use frames. I got some super slick prescription sunglasses picked out.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Rhyno posted:

Did you buy a bottle of my hot sauce? Because that opens the anus up pretty drat well.

My right eye was unchanged and the left is just a tad weaker. Got some contacts and gonna go back with my fiance to pick out some nice new daily use frames. I got some super slick prescription sunglasses picked out.

Prescription sunglasses are the best, but I think switching from sunglasses to regular glasses is the dorkiest thing ever.

Speaking of hot sauce, are you still sellin'?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Did Ridley Scott even have anything to do with 2049? He wasn't the director or listed as a producer, and isn't even mentioned in any materials relating to 2049 besides mentions to the first film. Regardless, it is super fantastic.

My bad. He was originally going to be the director back from 2009-2013, and he was listed in the credits just now in some capacity and I just glommed to it. I guess he was an associate producer of some sort.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

Prescription sunglasses are the best, but I think switching from sunglasses to regular glasses is the dorkiest thing ever.

Switching is 1000x less dorky than transition lenses. :colbert:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Oh man, we are having one open right across the street from us as well, we got all excited when we got a promotional flyer showing how cheap we can get organic produce. How would you rate it compared to Publix?

It's probably going to almost completely replace Publix for us on the grounds that it's much closer, but also stuff like the bakery and deli. We tend not to eat much meat anyway but when we do we like it to be 'just meat'. Tonight we picked up some of their deli beef which is made at the store itself, it's just beef, salt, and garlic. The baguettes we got are super simple ingredients-wise too especially compared to anything available at Publix. The pie I got is the same, just less ingredients. The food they make at Lucky's is like an early 90s Toyota or Honda, simple, clean and very good, and that's super appealing to me. It doesn't feel pretentious at all either. The closest in feel to any other store I've been in would be Woodman's up in Wisconsin. It feels like that.
The cost is similar to Trader Joe's but much more 'woah we make it here'. They have fresh pizza, sandwiches, sushi and ramen at the stores too which is rad as all hell.

You'll probably really like it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Safety Dance posted:

Speaking of hot sauce, are you still sellin'?

I'm intending to upscale my operation as soon as I can. I sold like 150 bottles in two weeks last time I made sauce but I've been so busy with wedding stuff I haven't been able to book time at the university kitchen to do my mixing.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Previa_fun posted:

Switching is 1000x less dorky than transition lenses. :colbert:

You can take my transitions from my cold dead head. That shits the bomb and the ultimate in lazy sunglass. Also totally the ~~~ FUTURE ~~~

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

KakerMix posted:

Oh god, this. I almost poo poo myself in excitement when I got a washer and dryer of my own, and I'm a mile from three grocery stores (well, two grocery stores and a super walmart).

Bajaha posted:

You can take my transitions from my cold dead head. That shits the bomb and the ultimate in lazy sunglass. Also totally the ~~~ FUTURE ~~~

Those don't get nearly dark enough for me. And don't work that well in the car.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR1nU9IJsoM

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Those don't get nearly dark enough for me. And don't work that well in the car.

I like the transitions for everyday use, but I keep a pair of prescription sunglasses in the car for driving, because the sun isn't hitting them directly when driving so they don't get real dark. They are kind of cool in the office though, as the florescent lights actually make them darken a bit, which I like because I'm sitting in front of a computer screen all day and it seems to reduce my eye strain.

Also nice for taking walks outside.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess they're cool if you're a 60 year old high school chemistry teacher.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno posted:

I guess they're cool if you're a 60 year old high school chemistry teacher.

I am neither of those. They are still cool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Photographic proof required.

Also, super cheap rhino ramps

https://www.amazon.com/RhinoGear-11909ABMI-RhinoRamps-Vehicle-Ramp/dp/B0117EETEK?tag=dreldarion-20

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No free shipping booo

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Locator posted:

I like the transitions for everyday use, but I keep a pair of prescription sunglasses in the car for driving, because the sun isn't hitting them directly when driving so they don't get real dark. They are kind of cool in the office though, as the florescent lights actually make them darken a bit, which I like because I'm sitting in front of a computer screen all day and it seems to reduce my eye strain.

Also nice for taking walks outside.

:science: It's more because laminated glass (i.e. your windshield) blocks most UV light. The other windows block some UV (less than 40%), but the windshield blocks almost 100%. Up until very recently, transitions didn't transition unless exposed to UV light (and I think it's still only the $$$$ ones that don't rely on UV).

Fluorescent lights pump out a fair bit of UV (UV is how they work to begin with; the phosphor coating reacts with the UV given off by mercury vapor to produce visible light), which is why your glasses get triggered in the office. At home you probably have incandescents or LEDs these days, though CFLs put out a pretty decent amount of UV (if you still have any... I have a handful). Really cheap HID bulbs also crank out tons of UV, enough to give you a sunburn (name brand ones have a coating on the outer envelope, the lovely ones don't). Not just headlight bulbs - metal halide and mercury vapor bulbs (both technically HID, but most people don't associate HID headlights with metal halide) both put out UV - so projectors, high bay lights, parking lot lights, etc - may be putting out UV. Metal halide bulbs still rely on mercury anyway, it's just a bit less than the old school mercury vapor bulbs.

I'm not a UV :tinfoil: type, but I make sure to get my glasses with UV coatings.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 13, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

No free shipping booo
Shows prime shipping for me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!