Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Has anyone honestly managed to beat Night Trap in the intended way? Especially playing the old version where the video thumbnails don't move, that seems like you'd eventually have to just memorise every single event to get the timing right.

Yeah, I played through it with a friend in junior high in like 1997. We just wrote down notes with a timer running, then read it back with each attempt to know what room to be in and when. We beat it after like 8 hours. It actually wasn't that bad until we got to the point where we had to swap discs with each attempt.

We were extremely cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
What a goddamn good finale. I think Policenauts is one of their best LPs ever.
Also props on Tony for a really strong "YOU DIDN'T WIN"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Asura's Wrath was a neat story let down by its combat. Just like Deadly Premonition.

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o5skk9khE11qcqeph_480.mp4#_=_

Also, I'm finally starting to get why people play Fighting games.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I have a feeling that asuras wrath would be a fun hype lp

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I forgot that Halle Berry's character in James Bond was named Jinx.

alsothere
Oct 14, 2014
Taco Defender

Blockhouse posted:

Help me remember what podcast "X-Files Base" originated from

Wish I had the slightest idea, that was one of the hardest laughs I've had listening to a podcast

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So Woolie just completely doesn't look at the screen when he talks, huh.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Depths posted:

The end (with the dlc) is straight up gurren lagann but somehow they'd hate it

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

RareAcumen posted:

Asura's Wrath was a neat story let down by its combat.

Asura's Wrath was billed as a Hindu/Buddhist themed Devil May Cry, and ended up being an interactive anime that tried way too hard to be Gurren Lagann.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Asura's Wrath was billed as a Hindu/Buddhist themed Devil May Cry, and ended up being an interactive anime that tried way too hard to be Gurren Lagann.

There are worse things to aspire to

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Nothing Asura's Wrath does was invented by Gurren-Lagann.

It's like screaming about Jojo every time someone rapidly punches in any form of media.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Tae posted:

So Woolie just completely doesn't look at the screen when he talks, huh.

This would be painfully obvious if anyone except me was still watching the Gettin' Up LP.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

Nothing Asura's Wrath does was invented by Gurren-Lagann.

It's like screaming about Jojo every time someone rapidly punches in any form of media.

I would say that Gurren Lagann and JoJo do those things, cosmic escalation and punch rushes respectively, better than anything else, so that's good reason to use them as a point of comparison. No one's saying they did those things first (except probably Woolie).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CyberConnect's point of comparison for nearly everything is Naruto. The respective main characters of both .hack series are just based off of Naruto and Sasuke.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They really hate when power levels in a media isn't consistent.

These are the same nerds that spent an hour and an LP on street fighter strength lore.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah, it's called using a speed bag. Boxers have been doing it for decades now.

Tae posted:

They really hate when power levels in a media isn't consistent.

These are the same nerds that spent an hour and an LP on street fighter strength lore.

What video are you talking about? I know I'd be annoyed seeing Kiryu lose a fight against Terry Hintz.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Asuras Wrath rules

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

What video are you talking about? I know I'd be annoyed seeing Kiryu lose a fight against Terry Hintz.

This is constant throughout the MK and SFV LP's. "CHARLIE IS THE GREATEST. OH poo poo, HE BEAT CHARLIE, IS X GOD TIER???"

"NO WAY JAX BEATS LU KANG!" *gets beaten* "IT...IT MUST BE THE WORK OF DEMONIC POSSESSION!"

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Phantasium posted:

CyberConnect's point of comparison for nearly everything is Naruto. The respective main characters of both .hack series are just based off of Naruto and Sasuke.

i wish i had never learned this

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

i wish i had never learned this

Both Haseo and Sasuke have the same English voice actor.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

This is constant throughout the MK and SFV LP's. "CHARLIE IS THE GREATEST. OH poo poo, HE BEAT CHARLIE, IS X GOD TIER???"

"NO WAY JAX BEATS LU KANG!" *gets beaten* "IT...IT MUST BE THE WORK OF DEMONIC POSSESSION!"

Oh I thought you were talking about something recent. Nvm.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Help me remember what podcast "X-Files Base" originated from

Can't help you out re: podcast since I am wayyyy behind, but I first remember hearing it and having the joke elaborated on in an episode of Metal Wolf Chaos. They were fighting three other mecha in a western town or something.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Asura's wrath does many different things from Gurren Lagann, and the things it does the same it does better. Don't be Woolie, see the world through the lens of more than 3 things.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Tae posted:

Only on SA will I find people who get this mad about people telling jokes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Under the vegetable posted:

Only on SA will I find people who get this mad about people telling jokes.

what the gently caress that's not mad, that's an observation, and a factual one at that

woolie is a massive POWER LEVELS nerd it's why he hates the idea of dragon ball super

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I also really enjoyed Policenauts despite its faults. An interesting game, and Pat and Woolie getting hype as the plot thickened was pretty enjoyable.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Depths posted:

they have gone on record saying they hate asura's wrath

Neo_Crimson posted:

It is better than gurren lagann and does more with the interactivity of itself than every other lovely game CC2 puts out

Asura's Wrath deserves more credit than people give it, it lives and dies by tropes but that's not a bad thing.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Rodyle posted:

Asura's wrath does many different things from Gurren Lagann, and the things it does the same it does better.

Captain Baal posted:

It is better than gurren lagann and does more with the interactivity of itself than every other lovely game CC2 puts out

:thunk:

Captain Baal posted:

Asura's Wrath deserves more credit than people give it, it lives and dies by tropes but that's not a bad thing.

This is true, but it's still pretty bad.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There is zero chance any of them actually made it past MAYBE the first fight with Yasha because if any of them had gotten into act 2 and especially to the point of playing Yasha they'd worship that game forever.

There is a significant case to make that the Act 4 DLC is the best thing Capcom has ever put out barring RE4 and a handful of Megaman games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They have admitted they beat the game and still bitch about it

That is a cool and constructive response that lends itself to a discussion on a game I like to talk about

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also they already tried to do an LP of it and it got claimed by Capcom immediately so it was cancelled.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Did they actually beat it, Act 4 and all?

the last time I remember it coming up was years ago and it was Woolie going "the problem is, it STARTS in space, and as Gurren Lagann demonstrates, you have to constantly escalate, you can't go back down"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
maybe they think the game is bad baal

also is it cool now to dislike ttgl i can never keep up with bad ironiposting on sa

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

No one likes ttgl since the normies got their hands on it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gurren Lagann is good, the problem is that for Woolie especially it is like, the single frame of reference for so many things, so it gets annoying to listen to him using it as his basis for everything

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
In the past six years I've never heard Matt scream as hard as he does at tonight's game

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

maybe they think the game is bad baal

They never talk about the gameplay when talking about that game and bring up gurren lagann. I was actually at the first panel they talked about AW at and they literally said they don't like the game because they feel it's poorly ripping off TTGL.

Like I didn't pull this poo poo out of my rear end, they've been saying it for years.

Dias posted:

also is it cool now to dislike ttgl i can never keep up with bad ironiposting on sa

No one said TTGL was bad, gently caress off. Saying something does something better than the other does not relegate that thing to being bad.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Blockhouse posted:

In the past six years I've never heard Matt scream as hard as he does at tonight's game

Wherein Matt gets owned back to back, this is so good.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
i just got into them recently and ive been going through the backlog, catching up, flipping back and forth, etc. I miss Liam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Captain Baal posted:

They never talk about the gameplay when talking about that game and bring up gurren lagann. I was actually at the first panel they talked about AW at and they literally said they don't like the game because they feel it's poorly ripping off TTGL.

Like I didn't pull this poo poo out of my rear end, they've been saying it for years.

No one said TTGL was bad, gently caress off. Saying something does something better than the other does not relegate that thing to being bad.

TBF I don't think GL is all that good and cool but also I'm a massive mecha nerd so most of the poo poo it was homaging/referencing was poo poo I had already seen and liked better than what GL did with it.