Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

lelandjs posted:

AirPod update—listened to a bass heavy album and ugh yeah there’s definitely some artificial bass boost going on, more than my EarPods have.

Oddly enough, if I place my finger over the top microphone, the bass gets reduced a significant amount. Like, it disappears completely. What’s going on there? Do the AirPods change the equalization of the music based on the ambient environment?

There's no "artificial" bass boost unless you enable it in the equalizer. The AirPods have more bass than EarPods because that vent is bigger on the AirPods. It's all acoustics, no software trickery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I don't know but Music settings has an EQ if you want to try to EQ it out. I personally do not notice any kind of 'bass boost'. I wouldn't call the response flat, they're certainly a little more eager than my studio monitors, but not Beats level by far.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Weedle posted:

There's no "artificial" bass boost unless you enable it in the equalizer. The AirPods have more bass than EarPods because that vent is bigger on the AirPods. It's all acoustics, no software trickery.

Yeah, artificial was the wrong word; what I meant was that AirPods color the music more than the EarPods do. Which is almost a dealbreaker for me, as I like my headphones/earbuds to be as neutral as possible.

If I turn on “Bass Reducer” in the EQ settings it’s pretty close to neutral. To my ears, at least.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Anyone want to hype their wireless charger of choice? I’ve been eyeing a bunch but couldn’t decide on what to get.

I like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BHEIIR4

Seems to be pretty tolerant of not getting it exactly in the middle. There's a 15/20W version for double the price, but there was no point since the phone can only go up to 5W right now, and 7.5W later.

So yeah, of course it's slower (exactly on par with the included wall wart that comes with the phone), but I only use it to charge overnight anyway, so I don't even notice. I may buy a second to put on my desk at work.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is it possible to use a wireless charger if you have one of the magnet mount things in your phone case? Like, can you put the metal all the way at the top or bottom of the case and then still also use wireless chargers? Or will I need a combo wireless charger/magnet mount?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

prom candy posted:

Is it possible to use a wireless charger if you have one of the magnet mount things in your phone case? Like, can you put the metal all the way at the top or bottom of the case and then still also use wireless chargers? Or will I need a combo wireless charger/magnet mount?

Posted about this in here

Short answer is kinda but likely no. Mine would charge for a minute or so then flash the blue light which indicates an error. Certain placements worked better but ultimately yeah I wouldn’t say it “works.” Might have better luck with a different wireless charger

My credit card with a smaller chip works but another with a larger chip doesn’t. The card material in the latter is much more thick like polymer or some poo poo so not sure if that’s a factor.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

BGrifter posted:

It was delivered by UPS so the whole process was a shitshow. Friday they were supposed to attempt delivery but UPS doesn’t bother with residential deliveries until all the business ones are done so they didn’t even attempt it. Then it was the weekend. Monday they snuck up and slapped a “you’re not home” notice without even attempting to buzz my apartment. Tuesday I was able to go to the UPS store and pick it up.

I could have paid for their premium service so I could request pickup at the UPS store on the Friday. If you don’t pay the ransom fee you have to wait for them to attempt what they call delivery before you can request in store pickup.

Yikes dude. UPS can be weird sometimes. I was more curious about how long it took for an order to ship vs what the website said. Currently they're saying 27th-2nd and I was wondering how accurate that is.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Posted about this in here

Short answer is kinda but likely no. Mine would charge for a minute or so then flash the blue light which indicates an error. Certain placements worked better but ultimately yeah I wouldn’t say it “works.” Might have better luck with a different wireless charger

My credit card with a smaller chip works but another with a larger chip doesn’t. The card material in the latter is much more thick like polymer or some poo poo so not sure if that’s a factor.

I was going to try to get the plate to work but drat if this phone doesn't feel amazing all naked. I'm in love here.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
We bought a wireless car charger cradle. Can't wait to see how well it work.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Yikes dude. UPS can be weird sometimes. I was more curious about how long it took for an order to ship vs what the website said. Currently they're saying 27th-2nd and I was wondering how accurate that is.

Oh Apple is always on the ball with getting items shipped promptly. If UPS was halfway competent items would easily arrive on time.

UPS is just a dumpster fire of a company. What I described is probably the single best experience I’ve ever had with UPS, all my previous ones were far worse.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Start getting poo poo shipped to your office, if you have one.
Move to the city, live in a building with a concierge.
Have kids, grow them up, and call them in sick to school on the day your package is supposed to arrive.
Train your dog to sign for you.

Never miss packages again.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

All my notifications have been messed up for a month. I get them late or have random old ones from Instagram and fb messenger. This has been going on for a while now. Anyone experience this?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Anybody buy an iPhone 8 online recently? How accurate was the delivery window?

I got it online through att and it was delivered the day they said it would be which was one day after the launch. How are supplies for the 8/+? Are there issues with demand like previous years?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My local Apple store didn't have 8+ in stock but they were available like two hours away. Online order is gonna take about a week, not too bad but also not overflowing with availability.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m very happy with this charger but I didn’t pay $40 for it.

Samsung Qi Certified Fast Charge Wireless Charging Stand W/ AFC Wall Charger - Supports wireless charging on Qi compatible smartphones including the Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+, Note 8, Apple iPhone 8, and 8 Plus (US Version With Warranty) - Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGLC474/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qoa4zb5PDR64Q

I think I snagged it for $18 on sale.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

^^ There’s no point in spending more for a fast charger since the phone doesn’t support it. For $18, however, why not?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

TraderStav posted:

I was going to try to get the plate to work but drat if this phone doesn't feel amazing all naked. I'm in love here.

gross. The iPhone 8 is horrendous naked. Maybe I’m just used to cases but I can’t stand how thin/flimsy it feels and the fact that it wants to jump out of my hands

Oh yeah I’m holding it wrong nvm

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

^^ There’s no point in spending more for a fast charger since the phone doesn’t support it. For $18, however, why not?

The black version is cheaper. At any rate, why not future proof for like an extra $10-15? Plus you never know what phone you’ll have in the future, guests, significant other...

Also I think the iPhone 8 or at least X is capable of 15w? At least I don’t think apple has said otherwise. 7.5w is just the only one they mentioned that’ll come for sure

-edit looks like the black one is only via 3rd party sellers right now I think I paid $32 or thereabouts

Also unless it’s for work I guess I’d never get a flat wireless charger

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 13, 2017

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m deffo getting the flat Apple charger though. It’s going to be nice charging everything with one plug.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

I’m deffo getting the flat Apple charger though. It’s going to be nice charging everything with one plug.

I’m glad I’m not the only idiot thinking of grabbing that and the AirPod wireless case.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

gross. The iPhone 8 is horrendous naked. Maybe I’m just used to cases but I can’t stand how thin/flimsy it feels and the fact that it wants to jump out of my hands

Oh yeah I’m holding it wrong nvm

The black version is cheaper. At any rate, why not future proof for like an extra $10-15? Plus you never know what phone you’ll have in the future, guests, significant other...

Also I think the iPhone 8 or at least X is capable of 15w? At least I don’t think apple has said otherwise. 7.5w is just the only one they mentioned that’ll come for sure

-edit looks like the black one is only via 3rd party sellers right now I think I paid $32 or thereabouts

Also unless it’s for work I guess I’d never get a flat wireless charger

The 8 is thicker and heavier than the 6/7. The glass back just makes it feel so right. I hated the aluminum backs.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Oh yeah that looks pretty good, didn't realize it plugged in via lightning cable

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m glad I’m not the only idiot thinking of grabbing that and the AirPod wireless case.

sounds nifty, surprised there aren't any knock-off wireless airpod cases, or wonder if we'll see them....

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I was but I think I’m going to wait and see if they revise them to include it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BGrifter posted:

Oh Apple is always on the ball with getting items shipped promptly. If UPS was halfway competent items would easily arrive on time.

UPS is just a dumpster fire of a company. What I described is probably the single best experience I’ve ever had with UPS, all my previous ones were far worse.

Are they charging now? I haven't paid them anything and I just use the website to change delivery to the UPS store for anything requiring a signature a day or so before it actually arrives.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

TraderStav posted:

The glass back just makes it feel so right. I hated the aluminum backs.
I have found my exact opposite in the world. All is right with the universe and in balance.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

carry on then posted:

Are they charging now? I haven't paid them anything and I just use the website to change delivery to the UPS store for anything requiring a signature a day or so before it actually arrives.

Could be a Canada vs US thing but you had to sign up for their premium service to request delivery to the UPS store before they attempt delivery for the first time.

They have all sorts of weird little rules apparently. I talked with some of their employees about past orders and they often have to put the package on the delivery truck knowing for certain there’s no chance they’ll have time to attempt delivery on residential packages.

Anyways, getting into major derail territory. I wish Apple would ship with anybody else and in other places apparently they do. My area gets stuck with UPS.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So if I were wanting to preorder an iPhone X, what would be the most efficient way? Apple Store app?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

For all y’all who think iOS 11 get a 6S hot, I’m surprised my 5S hasn’t actually melted.

All I use it for is streaming music connected via a cable to my car. It works. Sort of.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

iajanus posted:

I have found my exact opposite in the world. All is right with the universe and in balance.

Same. I hate how my 8+ slips off of every goddamn surface and find it noticeably heavier. Wirelessly charging while sleeping is nice but otherwise I mainly miss the lighter weight. Probably not as much of an issue with the 8 and I guess they didn’t care as much about the + weight since the X is their new baby that they want us all to envy. And I would have jumped on that boat even with the dumb notch if it had Touch ID but for now I will just deal with a heavier phone that will get even heavier now that I need a case (something I have not done with any iPhone since getting my first one, a 3G) just to keep it from sliding around like it is on an ice skating rink.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Could be a Canada vs US thing but you had to sign up for their premium service to request delivery to the UPS store before they attempt delivery for the first time.

They have all sorts of weird little rules apparently. I talked with some of their employees about past orders and they often have to put the package on the delivery truck knowing for certain there’s no chance they’ll have time to attempt delivery on residential packages.

Anyways, getting into major derail territory. I wish Apple would ship with anybody else and in other places apparently they do. My area gets stuck with UPS.

When is the last time you tried this? I know it used to be pay-only in the US, too, if you wanted to reroute to a UPS store before the first attempt. I found out it's no longer the case when I got my aTV4k delivered. And the UPS Canada website states explicitly there's no cost now in Canada, either.

The best part about this was the UPS Store was one of the truck's first stops, so I got the available for pickup notice before the store was even open.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

For all y’all who think iOS 11 get a 6S hot, I’m surprised my 5S hasn’t actually melted.

All I use it for is streaming music connected via a cable to my car. It works. Sort of.

You guys have some stuck process that is causing the CPU to spin at 100% or something like that

I had this issue on my iPad with iOS 11 public beta, 2 and 3 I think. My Mini 4 got ridiculously hot and battery life was awful. It was fixed in a later beta.

I can tell you that my 6S and Mini 4 now run as cool as they ever did and I'm getting perfectly normal battery life, like "leave the office at 5 with 70% on my 2 year old phone" normal or "leave the iPad unplugged for days and days and barely lose any battery" normal. Something is wrong with your installs if they are getting ridiculously hot and have awful battery life, certainly that is not the normal mode of operation under iOS 11.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

rio posted:

Same. I hate how my 8+ slips off of every goddamn surface and find it noticeably heavier. Wirelessly charging while sleeping is nice but otherwise I mainly miss the lighter weight. Probably not as much of an issue with the 8 and I guess they didn’t care as much about the + weight since the X is their new baby that they want us all to envy. And I would have jumped on that boat even with the dumb notch if it had Touch ID but for now I will just deal with a heavier phone that will get even heavier now that I need a case (something I have not done with any iPhone since getting my first one, a 3G) just to keep it from sliding around like it is on an ice skating rink.

My 8 grips my Corinthian leather furniture where my 6S would slide off. I have not had it slip on any surface.

We live in parallel universes.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

basically any qi charger that works (see : not a samsung counterfeit one from amazon) will do just fine. I have a bunch of old Nokia qi chargers I bought a few years ago that still work great. Also : a genuine samsung stand-up one. In-vehicle qi systems is where it can get tricky though. My Silverado has it built in, and it's wonky (traditional qi chargers will keep trying to charge if there's an issue, it stops for a second, shifts slightly. Mine will try once, then cut power if any failure occurs until you LIFT the device off and put it back on).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m losing about 60% battery throughout the day on my 8. I’m not constantly on it at all, but the signal is super weak so I blame that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TraderStav posted:

My 8 grips my Corinthian leather furniture where my 6S would slide off. I have not had it slip on any surface.

We live in parallel universes.

Before I put a case on my 8 it slipped off the (flat) edge off a bathtub. When I was watching a TV show or movie in bed with it laying flat against the sheets it would slide downward.

I don't know what it is about the strongest back glass ever in a smartphone that makes it super slick but I didn't have either of those issues with my Galaxy S7.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Did we lose voicemail dictations in iOS11?

They showed up on my 7 w/ iOS10 but they’re gone now. I really liked that....

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

dexter6 posted:

Did we lose voicemail dictations in iOS11?

They showed up on my 7 w/ iOS10 but they’re gone now. I really liked that....

I still have them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I definitely have them

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You're missing out

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pivo posted:

You're missing out

Congrats on the new job! I think?

Hell I don't have any idea what is going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Hell I don't have any idea what is going on there.

That's my point! Thing's useless!

Nah, Amazon interviewed me when they were hiring 200 people in Toronto. First, Amazon is like a cult. Second, I didn't get the job. :P