Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Renegret posted:

if it's not an outage, anyone who demands a <24 hour turnaround can get hosed.

Did she demand it though? She found herself not being able to do something she normally gets help with and not a ton of time left to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Sickening posted:

Did she demand it though? She found herself not being able to do something she normally gets help with and not a ton of time left to do it.

Less "got help with" and more" have someone else do for".

Larches has more important things to do (more important in the half a million dollars range) than to muck about with Photoshop.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sickening posted:

She was unhappy enough with being told no to complain to the director, it sounds like.

Plus I have trouble believing that anything that can be called an "art project" is too important to push the deadline back a few days while the computer science teacher gets the shits out of his system.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Less "got help with" and more" have someone else do for".

Larches has more important things to do (more important in the half a million dollars range) than to muck about with Photoshop.

That is the same thing in a lot of situations no matter where you are. Its also not a huge project. Annoying for sure.

But why would someone come to him for a mundane desktop request if he is handling half a million dollar project at all? Is there no desktop/helpdesk person?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sickening posted:

That is the same thing in a lot of situations no matter where you are. Its also not a huge project. Annoying for sure.

But why would someone come to him for a mundane desktop request if he is handling half a million dollar project at all? Is there no desktop/helpdesk person?

iirc the last helpdesk guy was a piece of poo poo and was shitcanned, then his boss decided everything was fine and refused to hire another one.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Sickening posted:

Essentially. I used to have a helpdesk guy but the position was terminated after budget cuts and there's no plan to rehire until we see an increase in funding. Until then, I'm a one-man shop expected to fulfill all TC and helpdesk tasks, as well as be a functioning administrator for the school. I've learned very quickly that I don't have the time to be super nice guy anymore. Either her project doesn't get done because she's lazy, or a majority of my poo poo doesn't get done because I'm teaching myself how to use Photoshop for her project. As lovely as it sounds, helping people is a dangerous precedent to set, because every second you're going out of your way to help someone else is a second you're not doing your own job. If it doesn't clearly fall within my job description then I'm sorry, I really don't have time.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 12, 2017

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
A ticket came in.. a PC keeps falling off the domain.

Great. Awesome. Why? Oh, it's cause replication is, quite simply, hosed. PDC is fine. Secondary DC doesn't know what the gently caress is going on anymore. Other ones at remote sites are occasionally OK. :sigh:

I just keep telling them to burn the whole thing down and start over with the PDC\DR DC as secondary but I may :yotj: before that if I don't get a decent raise.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Renegret posted:

She was unhappy enough with being told no to complain to the director, it sounds like.

Plus I have trouble believing that anything that can be called an "art project" is too important to push the deadline back a few days while the computer science teacher gets the shits out of his system.

You can't assume that she complained to the director because Larches was rude or because there was something reasonable about her request. It's a simple thought process for the average end user: encounter computer thing they don't want to deal with -> make it the computer person's problem -> escalate until someone deals with it. It works far too often unless the someone to whom they escalate has the courage to say "you were wrong to ask, you are wrong to bring this to me, go back to your cube and do your job" and make it stick.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

gently caress that. If someone called me to do Photoshop work, I'd tell them that's not my god damned job. Sure let me go model some Solidworks too while I'm at it.

This.

I even have a reasonable grasp of Photoshop, do some photography as a hobby, took classes when I was at university. But we have a loving communications department for a reason, and if they're telling you it's going to take a week to get that mock up done, you're just going to have to wait.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The proper response to unwarranted photoshop requests is to say "sure here's a sample of my work" and give em the ol:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fishmech posted:

The proper response to unwarranted photoshop requests is to say "sure here's a sample of my work" and give em the ol:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
your "awesome" should be in Papyrus.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Curlz MT

Edit: Bertram

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Thanks Ants posted:

Curlz MT

Edit: Bertram

Old Century Bold, or my favorite, Wingdings.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Get out of last millennium gramps, it's all webdings now! :nsacloud:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

The computer science teacher is out with food poisoning after eating raw chicken at his desk (yes).
What a strange trick

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Whhhhyyyy doesnt she just do it herself? "Ive never used that program, dunno how" -larches

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

KoRMaK posted:

What a strange trick

Art teachers hate him! How to avoid bullshit work with just one weird trick!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is this the same place where some lady pulled a chicken or something out of her purse to snack on?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is this the same place where some lady pulled a chicken or something out of her purse to snack on?

In my head, I'm seeing a woman pull a live chicken from her purse and just sinking her teeth into it.

But I think it was a porkchop.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So, I've been sitting on this one for a while, but here goes:

A while back, at an all-hands infrastructure meeting, our VP got up in front of the crowd and made a big production. Talking about things like "change" and "advancing" and "getting ahead of the competition", all the stuff that leads to one of two announcements: Something profound and awesome, or something colossally stupid.

Unfortunately for all of us, it was the latter. Saying that we'll be 100% cloud-based in 5 years and not have a need for a datacenter (like the one we just spent $Texas*3 to build).

Now, the funny thing about that. Yes, a huge portion of our business could probably be clouded, and that's great. But there's 2 critical environments that simply can't. And I'm not being pessimistic and protectionist about them because they run on my gear. I mean, they literally can't be made cloud-capable without a ground-up rearchitecture of the entire system, including 30+ years of customer data that must be held for eternity because government regulations, which would be a 10 year minimum project.

So, obviously, some time after this announcement, someone informed him that he smoked a little too much crack before that announcement because now he's all pissy about spending money on these two environments, including the project to run extracts to feed into big data algorithms. Which I'm totally for, I've been saying for a while that we're not doing enough analysis on our massive customer database, pretty much since I walked in the door 3.5 years ago.

So we get this project together for the extraction, which is basically a simplified mirror of the production environment that will restore a weekly full backup, run the extraction to a flat file (can't just push it up to the cloud because endianness), and push it up to the cloud for big data voodoo, etc. Last Tuesday, we put the PO through for the hardware and everything was fine and dandy.

The next morning, as I'm in an orientation meeting for my oldest's school camping trip, I get a call from our vendor saying that someone reached out to the upstream vendor (totally not IBM) asking about cloud offerings for the extraction process, and if I knew anything about it. Obviously I didn't, so I referred him up to my team lead, since I was OOO, anyway.

Turns out, someone (won't mention who) got cold feet about spending the money on an in-house solution that would be "temporary". Temporary in that there might be a solution down the road that would obviate the need for physical hardware. Except, there's always a need for hardware in this environment, and it would be put to use in a very short time if it came to that.

So now we're evaluating a cloud solution for extracting and sanitizing the data. And we need to figure out if this solution will even work from a horsepower perspective (specifically super-fast I/O, 128GB of RAM each for multiple instances, and 16 cores each), and we haven't even addressed the issues of getting 6TB of data up to one cloud provider, making sure it stays secure (because nobody's hosed up on that stuff yet, right? Right? Guys?) during the extract, and then shipping a multiple-hundred-GB gzipped flat file to AWS where it can be imported and big-data voodooed.

All of this, and I can't help but think this is a back-handed way by the VP to say "Look, the extract process works in the cloud, and that's all the same data, there's no reason we can't make it work!", and then forcing the hand of all of us to dedicate untold man-hours to something that we all know will either not work, or be a complete poo poo-show.

tl;dr - VP got burned for making an overreaching and insane promise to the business and now all of the infrastructure people are having to pay for it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

tl;dr - VP Higher up got burned for making an overreaching and insane promise to the business and now all of the infrastructure people peasants are having to pay for it.

And that's the way it's been since the beginning of time.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

tl;dr - VP got burned for making an overreaching and insane promise to the business and now all of the infrastructure people are having to pay for it.

Yeah, we 100% work at the same place. As soon as they announced the cloud plans, everyone in infrastructure knew it wasn't happening.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

xsf421 posted:

Yeah, we 100% work at the same place. As soon as they announced the cloud plans, everyone in infrastructure knew it wasn't happening.

:vince: new goon besties!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

KoRMaK posted:

What a strange trick

Don't ever search Twitter for people serving "medium rare" chicken.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Virigoth posted:

:vince: new goon besties!

now to send an email to the whole company asking who has stairs in their house

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

duz posted:

Don't ever search Twitter for people serving "medium rare" chicken.

Chicken sushi?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GreenNight posted:

Chicken sushi?

Theoretically it's probably possible, but I think like 80% of chickens have salmonella contamination so you really don't want to do it unless you raised the chicken yourself and are able to test for contaminants.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

larchesdanrew posted:

I've officially hit the point of no more fucks to give with this bullshit job.

I know this probably doesn't help, but I have been thinking this thread has been a little less entertaining as of late, and had even toyed with the idea of unbookmarking it.

But I'm glad I didn't.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Kurieg posted:

your "awesome" should be in Papyrus.

https://laughingsquid.com/comic-papyrus/

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

That seems less like "a mashup between comic sans and papyrus" and more like "lemme just apply this texture to comic sans... ok, done!"

Maybe that's :thejoke: but I dunno

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

So, I've been sitting on this one for a while, but here goes:
:words:

Mainframes are legacy and you should get rid of them.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

spankmeister posted:

But that's where we do our big data

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Not mainframe, thankfully. Though the LinuxOne Z boxes are pretty sexy.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

AlexDeGruven posted:

So now we're evaluating a cloud solution for extracting and sanitizing the data. And we need to figure out if this solution will even work from a horsepower perspective (specifically super-fast I/O, 128GB of RAM each for multiple instances, and 16 cores each), and we haven't even addressed the issues of getting 6TB of data up to one cloud provider, making sure it stays secure (because nobody's hosed up on that stuff yet, right? Right? Guys?) during the extract, and then shipping a multiple-hundred-GB gzipped flat file to AWS where it can be imported and big-data voodooed.

I appreciate that you were venting but in case you want some unsolicited advice on a solution:

- Massive data dump from your local database straight to one or more AWS Snowball devices
- Snowball to S3 bucket with endpoint in a locked down VPC in AZ-optimized account(s) for low latency between accounts.
- Data in S3 bucket processed through EMR job to crate parallel data stream to ingest by $database
- $database is redundant Cassandra rings on EC2 or maybe Aurora

You might want to consider Redshift for analysis, but you might have concurrency issues.

PM me if you'd like help with this project. It seems really interesting.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

what we did on a student newspaper in the 1990s was remove almost all the fonts from the office macs. worked like a charm.

ahh, the joy of working with communists who had graphic design skills beyond "make it all look a bit more constructivist".

they were trots, but there’s a time and place for a bit of applied stalinism, and it’s when people want to use using loving remedy as loving body text. it's not just a terrible ticketing system, it's a terrible font too.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I work at a company where the owner sent a scathing open letter to a very high level performer written in Comic Sans.

Edit: gently caress you, Remedy is awesome*

*When set up properly by people in each link of the chain who know what the gently caress they're doing.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 13, 2017

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

AlexDeGruven posted:

I work at a company where the owner sent a scathing open letter to a very high level performer written in Comic Sans.

Edit: gently caress you, Remedy is awesome*

*When set up properly by people in each link of the chain who know what the gently caress they're doing.

So Remedy is awesome in the same way Communism just works, in that it never does, and probably never will? Or if by some cosmic chance it does work, it'll stop as soon as someone outside the group starts loving with it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
A ticket came in:

All of the stroganoff has become disconnected from our VDI cluster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

A ticket came in:

All of the stroganoff has become disconnected from our VDI cluster.

Have you tried boiling it off then on again?

• Locked thread