Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

enraged_camel posted:

And sometimes it's because retirement can be pretty loving boring. 40+ hours a week is a lot of time to fill when you are no longer working.

both my parents got part time jobs as soon as they retired. my mom loves it because as soon as she has to deal with a lovely or bad boss decision she puts in her two weeks and nopes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

So trying to give Trump & co. any credit I can here. Does this EO do literally anything besides gently caress people over? Does anyone anywhere actually benefit from this? Even rich people?

This seems like throwing a wrench into the ACA because he'll we've been saying it's going to fail for years and it hasn't so may as well do something about that.

It is entirely an attempt to spiral the markets out of control. Ideally congress will appropriate the funds quickly and the insurance companies don't panic but there's really no way to know what happens now. :toot:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Reposting an opinion piece someone else made the effort of finding that details how stupid and assholeish this is:

https://twitter.com/nicholas_bagley/status/918672263456620544

quote:

This year, cost-sharing payments have amounted to about $7 billion. Unless Congress moves to repeal or amend the Affordable Care Act—good luck with that—obligations of similar size will accrue through 2018 and beyond.

In other words, we’re about to see witness of the largest lawsuits, dollar-wise, in United States history.

What’s more, I think the lawsuits are viable. We’ve already seen a couple of district courts grant multi-million dollar judgments in litigation over risk corridor payments. And the risk corridor cases raise some tricky questions about what sorts of promises the federal government has made to insurers. The cost-sharing cases don’t. On the law, they’re really straightforward.

Now, Congress could always appropriate the money. That would stanch the bleeding and restore some confidence to the rattled insurance markets. Or, alternatively, Congress could prohibit the Judgment Fund from paying out any judgment in cost-sharing litigation, although that would amount to a government default on its obligations. The damage to the government’s reputation would be severe, as Craig Garthwaite and I discussed in this New York Times op-ed.

If Congress doesn’t act, it’s really the worst of all worlds. To compensate for the loss of cost-sharing payments, insurers will have to raise their premiums for silver plans. Because premium subsidies are keyed to the price of silver plans, the size of the subsidies will increase along with the rise in premiums. And because many more people are eligible for premium subsidies than for cost-sharing reductions, total federal outlays will actually increase.

So taxpayers will have to pay increased premium subsidies at the front end. Then they’ll also pay the cost-sharing money through litigation at the back end. It’s a financial bath, and for no good reason other than sheer political cussedness.

What a stupid, profligate, and unnecessary mess.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So, how many states sue over tomorrow? I'm guessing atleast half a dozen by EOD

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Kale posted:

Jesus Christ :gonk:

When I called the insurer and asked what the gently caress, they said nothing other than "it is the exchange's fault ask them." When I called the exchange help line, I bet you can guess what they said.

Healthcare is very hosed in America, and I'm young and healthy and have no pre-existing conditions (knock on wood). I can't even imagine what it's like for those who really rely on using their insurance regularly. My heart goes out to any goon who is hurt by poo poo like this.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Koalas March posted:

I am learning more and more how important it is to cut toxic people from your life. My mom is very mentally ill, but I have to limit my time with her because it's a drain on my own mental health.

I am black and have had to cut out boyfriends and family from my life because of low key (& sometimes high key) racism. I am grateful to have friends (shout out to mrfreeze) who have unfortunately had to do the same.

Trump supporters voted for white supremacy. By keeping them in your life you are silently ignoring this toxicity in your parents. Have you confronted them about this at all?

Speaking for myself only, but I am able to maintain family ties while still calling my family on their poo poo. Is this not common? My dad is very racist, but I've been able to confront him on it and put a line in the sand on what is acceptable. If he crosses the line he knows he won't speak to me until he is able to msuter up the courage to admit he was out of line. He has improved over the years, but he's still a loving racist.

Same for my sister who voted Trump. I had no problem telling her what she voted for bluntly. It doesn't stop me from speaking to her however.

They know how I feel, and that they won't change my view of their actions with words. I won't cut my family out of my life, but I do agree that limiting time is a good option.

Friends that voted for Trump I have no qualms about cutting off. Luckily I don't have any friends that are that lovely.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Kale posted:

Jesus Christ :gonk:

One thing I should mention though is that if you lose your Health Card you're mega hosed and paying cash until you get a new one and it can take 4-6 weeks so don't ever do that if you live in Canada.

I'm in Manitoba and it takes like a week to get a replacement card. It's even a pleasant phone conversation with no wait that takes maybe 5 minutes. It's Bizarro world.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Koalas March posted:

I am learning more and more how important it is to cut toxic people from your life. My mom is very mentally ill, but I have to limit my time with her because it's a drain on my own mental health.

I am black and have had to cut out boyfriends and family from my life because of low key (& sometimes high key) racism. I am grateful to have friends (shout out to mrfreeze) who have unfortunately had to do the same.

Trump supporters voted for white supremacy. By keeping them in your life you are silently ignoring this toxicity in your parents. Have you confronted them about this at all?

Yeah seriously if anyone in my family voted Trump I would have cut ties immediately. My aunt let out some racism years back about my brother in law before he married my sister.

None of us have talked to her since.

No way I'm going to the funeral when she dies either. gently caress her and everyone who thinks like her. By continuing to tolerate their scumbag tendency your essentially telling them that it's okay. Sometimes you have to make the hard decision even though it hurts. We're at a tipping point in this country and it's time to pick a side.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Koalas March posted:

I confronted my dad about it at Thanksgiving in 2015 when he brought up how racial profiling is just common sense, as long as black people commit all these crimes then they only have themselves to blame for getting pulled over in nice neighborhoods.

We had a long talk about it the next day but at the end but neither of us could win the other over and in the end we just had to acknowledge that the other person disagreed about whether racism is even real and leave it at that. It was real fuckin weird because at the time he also believed Democrats are the real racists and it would be easy to get black people voting Republican if Republicans just reached out and explained why the free market is good for everyone ("I've invited several black people to Republican meetings who were surprised and pleased that a Republican reached out to them, because none ever had. How stupid are we that we haven't even tried to get them to vote for us").

So yeah I find I have to limit my time with him, like it's pretty easy to distract him if he starts off on an unprompted rant that African Americans are descended from the black people who were too stupid to avoid the slave-catchers, but Jesus Christ. It's really sad because that's not the way he raised us kids to think and act and when we were growing up he'd get super pissed if he heard one of us repeat a racist joke we heard, but years of right wing media has done something to his brain.

Kale
May 14, 2010

pacerhimself posted:

I'm in Manitoba and it takes like a week to get a replacement card. It's even a pleasant phone conversation with no wait that takes maybe 5 minutes. It's Bizarro world.

You can't comprehend the inefficiency and smugness of Service Ontario. :colbert:

my bony fealty posted:

When I called the insurer and asked what the gently caress, they said nothing other than "it is the exchange's fault ask them." When I called the exchange help line, I bet you can guess what they said.

Healthcare is very hosed in America, and I'm young and healthy and have no pre-existing conditions (knock on wood). I can't even imagine what it's like for those who really rely on using their insurance regularly. My heart goes out to any goon who is hurt by poo poo like this.

It just sounds so hit or miss with this private insurance based system with competing companies where they can actually deny you your claims or only have to pay part of it and you know they've got the high powered lawyers coming every inch of every contract and carefully wording the language to find any way to deny your claim. Like there's a financial incentive to deny your claim of coverage that isn't based on citizenry and taxes and I just have a hard time fathoming how that's supposed to be a good or fair idea when we're talking about a persons health and even life.

Kale fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 13, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

So, how many states sue over tomorrow? I'm guessing atleast half a dozen by EOD

Every major insurer as well.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Someone said it earlier, but Anger Fatigue is becoming a real thing with me. I literally cannot keep track of all the lovely things the GOP and Trump are doing right now.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

I confronted my dad about it at Thanksgiving in 2015 when he brought up how racial profiling is just common sense, as long as black people commit all these crimes then they only have themselves to blame for getting pulled over in nice neighborhoods.

We had a long talk about it the next day but at the end but neither of us could win the other over and in the end we just had to acknowledge that the other person disagreed about whether racism is even real and leave it at that. It was real fuckin weird because at the time he also believed Democrats are the real racists and it would be easy to get black people voting Republican if Republicans just reached out and explained why the free market is good for everyone ("I've invited several black people to Republican meetings who were surprised and pleased that a Republican reached out to them, because none ever had. How stupid are we that we haven't even tried to get them to vote for us").

So yeah I find I have to limit my time with him, like it's pretty easy to distract him if he starts off on an unprompted rant that African Americans are descended from the black people who were too stupid to avoid the slave-catchers, but Jesus Christ. It's really sad because that's not the way he raised us kids to think and act and when we were growing up he'd get super pissed if he heard one of us repeat a racist joke we heard, but years of right wing media has done something to his brain.

Yeah, my heart goes out to you and others who's parents have been severely warped by Fox News and the right wing media bubble. I understand if you aren't comfortable with cutting people out completely, and I think limiting time and calling family out is cool and good.

It's just that, personally, as a black woman, I feel like I could never trust anyone who supports Trump or white supremacy. Not only that, but it makes me feel kind of ashamed and deeply sad that people who are supposed to love and support me feel that my race is inferior.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I am certain that the USA will survive Trump, but his election and administration will leave a precedent of idiocy, incompetence, and corruption that will weaken the country for years to come. My hope is that people start realizing that they were taking having a functioning government for granted once they see the effects of it being sabotaged, but the morons will probably just double down on the bullshit that got us into this mess in the first place.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

DrNutt posted:

This won't impact anything soon enough to matter during open enrollment next month, will it? I rely on those subsidies to have decent insurance at rates that are at least somewhat reasonable. Otherwise I'll be going without insurance and buying cheap insulin from WalMart as long as I can afford it.

My understanding is that these are the CSR payments, not the Premium Tax Credits. I think the individual tax credits are secure barring a fillibusterable repeal vote due to the way the ACA is structured. Premiums will go up, but if you're receiving tax credits to pay for coverage those should go up to match the increase in the Silver Plan. I don't know if that's comforting or not.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

IIRC, the reason Obamacare costs spiraled out of control is because not enough healthy people signed up and too many sick people were covered, but that only looks at the change, not the level itself. We haven't fixed any of the problems that cause healthcare costs to be too expensive in the first place, right? Does a lot of that boil down to hospitals charging too much?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

IIRC, the reason Obamacare costs spiraled out of control is because not enough healthy people signed up and too many sick people were covered, but that only looks at the change, not the level itself. We haven't fixed any of the problems that cause healthcare costs to be too expensive in the first place, right? Does a lot of that boil down to hospitals charging too much?

Obamacare costs aren't spiraling out of control. They've been pretty close to what the OMB predicted back in 2009.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
My understanding is that the CSR specifically targets silver plans for people 100%-250% of the poverty level with the goal of reducing or eliminating their deductible.

quote:

Almost 6 million Americans—57 percent of the people who buy insurance through the ACA—get CSR subsidies. But many people don’t really understand how they work or whether they even qualify for one, Pollitz says. Here’s what you need to know about these subsidies:

Who Qualifies for a CSR?
The subsidies are for people with incomes between 100 and 250 percent of the federal poverty level.

For 2017, that’s $12,060 to $30,150 per year for an individual and $24,600 to $61,500 for a family of four. The actual amount depends on where you fall in that range. The lowest earners could pay as little as a few hundred dollars for an annual deductible and nothing for co-pays or co-insurance. If you make less than the threshold to get CSRs, you may qualify for Medicaid.

Note that CSRs are in addition to tax credits, which reduce monthly premiums for people with incomes between 100 and 400 percent of the poverty level (up to $48,240 for an individual and $98,400 for a family of four).

Tax credits to pay premiums apply to any one of the four metal tier plans offered on the ACA: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. But you can get a CSR only if you are in a Silver plan. Bronze and Silver plans tend to have lower premiums but higher deductibles than Gold and Platinum policies.

How Does a CSR Help With Insurance Costs?
They can not only significantly help reduce your co-pays and deductibles but also limit the total amount you pay out of your own pocket for in-network medical services in one year.

With no CSR, your out-of-pocket maximum for 2017 is $7,150 for any ACA individual plan and $14,300 for a family plan. But if you get a CSR subsidy, your out-of-pocket maximum would range from $2,250 to $6,600 for an individual or from $4,500 to $13,200 for a family, depending on your income.

From here:
https://www.consumerreports.org/health-insurance/cost-sharing-reduction-faq/

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
There are a lot of issues driving up costs
1. Drugs are becoming more and more expensive for a lot of reason, some of which are valid, some of which are complete BS
2. As a nation, we are sick as gently caress. There is so much medical care that needs to be done to get people back to baselines. There were decades of people putting off going to a doctor becuase it was too expensive, so now we get to treat all of the fallout from it
3. Doctors and hospitals will generally err on the side of ordering more tests than strictly necessary to make sure they rule out rare issues. Both as a means to reduce mal-practice, but also because you don't want to miss poo poo if you can test for it
4. Its just really loving expensive, and we need to understand that it is always going to be a huge chunk of GDP, even if we would like to pretend it could be otherwise.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Deteriorata posted:

Obamacare costs aren't spiraling out of control. They've been pretty close to what the OMB predicted back in 2009.

Well, insurance costs were already increasing at astonishing rates before the PPACA. So the costs are kind of spiraling out of control, but it started before the law was passed.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

OK so I guess the executive order goes into effect, but the legislative branch (Congress) can override it with a vote or....?

God Bless my loving retarded country

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Josh Lyman posted:

The entire medical industry of the US charges entirely too much for everything. It's absolute bonkers. If the same system were applied to groceries, literally no one below ~250k/yr could afford to eat.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ponzicar posted:

I am certain that the USA will survive Trump, but his election and administration will leave a precedent of idiocy, incompetence, and corruption that will weaken the country for years to come. My hope is that people start realizing that they were taking having a functioning government for granted once they see the effects of it being sabotaged, but the morons will probably just double down on the bullshit that got us into this mess in the first place.

We're witnessing the end of Pax Americana.

It's something that's needed to happen ever since we hosed up Korea and Vietnam so phenomenally, and in other circumstances, it should be welcomed because as a species we're butting our heads up against the class of problems that can only be solved by unilateral and international cooperation untainted by nationalist bias, but the way it's happening now is instead inviting a new Chinese or Russian-dominant (and let's face it, even with their economic instability, the former is going to win that fight since Russia is like post-meth West Virginia in country form) future, which is just all the same issues, now with even more headstrong dipshits behind the wheel. One's convinced of their superiority because they've ~thousands of years of experience~ (with their own people), and the other because they're 'plucky' and hard to eradicate, and they think that somehow makes them ~speshul~.

Kale
May 14, 2010

So what's up with the Trump Lover avatar?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Grammarchist posted:

My understanding is that these are the CSR payments, not the Premium Tax Credits. I think the individual tax credits are secure barring a fillibusterable repeal vote due to the way the ACA is structured. Premiums will go up, but if you're receiving tax credits to pay for coverage those should go up to match the increase in the Silver Plan. I don't know if that's comforting or not.

Yes it's just CSR payments going away. Although thanks to lovely reporting, apparently everyone thinks the premium tax credits have been repealed.

Insurers already finalized their plans for next year like three weeks ago; the premiums have increased because they expected CSRs to go away so this isn't new information for them. The CSR plans will still be there.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Kale posted:

Stupid newbie, you corny bastard.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Kale posted:

Literally exact same procedure minus a step if you go to a walk-in clinic. Another example is I have earwax build up that needs cleaning every 5-6 months or I can't hear properly and there's uncomfortable and painful pressure in my ear. Health Card please. Scan. What's the problem? Name and Address please. Sit over there and wait for your name to be called. 15-20 mins later get taken to one of the patient rooms. 10-15 minutes later doctor or nurse comes by and does the procedure.

15 years ago I had an accident while on vacation in Greece. I wiped out on a scooter, hit my head and had some nasty road rash. At the time I had no health insurance at all, travel insurance or otherwise. I managed to get myself to a tourist medical center and the doctor there called a cab and told me to go to a hospital. A few hours later I had had all my wounds cleaned, 4 stitches, and 2 x-rays, but was otherwise fine. I paid 80 Euros to the cab driver and 30 Euros to the tourist medical center. No one else even asked for ID, never mind money.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Koalas March posted:

Yeah, my heart goes out to you and others who's parents have been severely warped by Fox News and the right wing media bubble. I understand if you aren't comfortable with cutting people out completely, and I think limiting time and calling family out is cool and good.

It's just that, personally, as a black woman, I feel like I could never trust anyone who supports Trump or white supremacy. Not only that, but it makes me feel kind of ashamed and deeply sad that people who are supposed to love and support me feel that my race is inferior.

I was raised conservative, and there was a time where I might have been tempted by Trump. Obama brought me around, and lately I'm convinced he saved my soul in the process. I had to watch my entire town go from supporting Kasich and mocking Trump to BECOMING Trump, utilizing his insults and spewing his rage. I look at some of my family and I even see his God drat smirk when someone jokes about deportations.

I honestly feel a bit like Hawthorne's Goodman Brown after realizing that everyone he ever knew was in league with Satan, including his late grandfather and the old woman who taught him his morals. I feel bitter and betrayed, and guilty even. I actually got excited for Palin back in the day. But for the Grace of God it could be me out there with the red hats.

My friends, siblings and cousins are mostly liberal, so that helps. I'm also trying to keep my nephews from internalizing their political environment too much. It keeps the bitterness manageable.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Kale posted:

The forum stays open because people buy avatars.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Kale posted:

Its the new Stupid Newbee av, Lowtax figured it might encourage people to spring for a real av instead

Kale
May 14, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Its the new Stupid Newbee av, Lowtax figured it might encourage people to spring for a real av instead

I kind of figured it was something like that but needed confirmation.

JasonV posted:

15 years ago I had an accident while on vacation in Greece. I wiped out on a scooter, hit my head and had some nasty road rash. At the time I had no health insurance at all, travel insurance or otherwise. I managed to get myself to a tourist medical center and the doctor there called a cab and told me to go to a hospital. A few hours later I had had all my wounds cleaned, 4 stitches, and 2 x-rays, but was otherwise fine. I paid 80 Euros to the cab driver and 30 Euros to the tourist medical center. No one else even asked for ID, never mind money.

I had a reverse experience where it didn't happen to me but my grandmother when I was a kid. We were visiting my Aunt for Christmas in New Hampshire and my Grandmother had a severe heart attack over night on Christmas eve and she spent a couple of weeks in the Lahey Clinic in Boston. She survived and lived another 13 years after but I only ever learned in adulthood that the medical costs were somewhere in the region of $1 million dollars strictly because it happened while we were in the states and we were unable to claim coverage from the Canadian government because it was at a private clinic where they had no recourse or something like that.

Kale fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 13, 2017

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

JasonV posted:

While I think universal heath care is important, maybe don't base any government spending plans off of Greece.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Phlegmatist posted:

Yes it's just CSR payments going away. Although thanks to lovely reporting, apparently everyone thinks the premium tax credits have been repealed.

Insurers already finalized their plans for next year like three weeks ago; the premiums have increased because they expected CSRs to go away so this isn't new information for them. The CSR plans will still be there.

Woo hoo, no health insurance for me next year!! Thanks Trump! Really hope this motherfucker has a stroke and winds up mostly paralyzed, only able to suffer until he dies.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

holy poo poo that's hilarious.

i don't and won't miss the last one.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Grammarchist posted:

I was raised conservative, and there was a time where I might have been tempted by Trump. Obama brought me around, and lately I'm convinced he saved my soul in the process. I had to watch my entire town go from supporting Kasich and mocking Trump to BECOMING Trump, utilizing his insults and spewing his rage. I look at some of my family and I even see his God drat smirk when someone jokes about deportations.

I honestly feel a bit like Hawthorne's Goodman Brown after realizing that everyone he ever knew was in league with Satan, including his late grandfather and the old woman who taught him his morals. I feel bitter and betrayed, and guilty even. I actually got excited for Palin back in the day. But for the Grace of God it could be me out there with the red hats.

My friends, siblings and cousins are mostly liberal, so that helps. I'm also trying to keep my nephews from internalizing their political environment too much. It keeps the bitterness manageable.

I really appreciate hearing stories like this. I'm proud of you for breaking out of that mindset and looking out for your nephews. Keep fighting the good fight man, that's all you can do.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

While I think universal heath care is important, maybe don't base any government spending plans off of Greece.

Hahaha! Fair point! :)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
So didn’t insurance companies have to report their rates to the Feds months ago? Can they raise them for the upcoming open enrollment period? Can they just pull out of the exchanges citing that the rules changed and unless they can raise their prices this would put them out of business?

I’m super glad that, before anyone fixed any other enormous disasters and gently caress ups, Trump went and threw another one out there.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
One thing the Trump presidency has done that will have lasting effects is the way the world views America now, which is a laughing stock. So while Trump goes for protectionism and "bringing back jobs" the rest of the world is now setting trade deals with each other instead of the States because no-one takes Trump at his word. There will be repercussions of this for years to come. Good job America. You are now the laughing stock of the world, and a real good job for any idiot voter who thought Trump would be good for your image.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
The president is literally sabotaging the health insurance of everyone regardless of plan. ~populism~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Amused to Death posted:

The president is literally sabotaging the health insurance of everyone regardless of plan. ~populism~

Not exactly, more doing it to spite a black man.

• Locked thread