Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'll never forget WayForward's breakout hit on the 3DS, "a cartoon cop with boobs: the game"

mighty switch force is a good game though

shantae 1 and 2 are super mediocre but pirate's curse is good and 1/2 genie hero is decent

plus double dragon neon is one of the best beat em ups ever made and those guys went on to make one of the best kickstarter games ever made

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

al-azad posted:

Cartoon boobs are good.

Apparently their Mummy game is actually really good.

Are the mummies horny?

Are they even alive?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Phantasium posted:

That begs an interesting question, what's the biggest or longest chance you've given a game before dropping it?

80 hours into pillars of eternity, although I just made it into the final act so I suspect there's a lot of idling there
40 hours into dark souls 3
20 hours into a lot of other games including far cry 3, mask of the betrayer, vanilla civ 5, hitman absolution

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Are the mummies horny?

Are they even alive?

They're milfs obviously

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man someone needs to do a remaster of the Gold Box SSI AD&D games

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

gold box ssi pathfinder

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the world would be a better place if people submerged themselves deeper into horniness

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Novigrad in The Witcher 3 put me off the game for a month or two, eventually I came back and went to Skellige which was much better.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Yeah novigrad sucked I also bounced off it hard for a couple months. So much tedious poo poo to do.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/5aHeS5Z.mp4

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Phantasium posted:

That begs an interesting question, what's the biggest or longest chance you've given a game before dropping it?

since steam refunds became reality, 2 hours

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m glad we can finally admit that The Witcher 3 is the worst game in the world

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beat samus returns and laid my 3ds to rest in my old dead handheld draw next to my bed until something else i care about comes out.

Time to ice my hands. gently caress mercury steams control designer. Boss fights were great. Exploration kinda sucked. Never felt the need to go back for pick ups because of the linear structure.

Better than other m, 2, and original metroid tho but thats low praise

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I’m glad we can finally admit that The Witcher 3 is the worst game in the world

what da gently caress

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
every part of the witcher 3 owns, gently caress the haters

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
it's hard for me to imagine the Witcher games somehow got even worse after the first one

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

MechaSeinfeld posted:

what da gently caress

(It’s a good game)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

psychoJ posted:

the combat system is very polarizing. half the people i talk to say put it on easy and ignore it and half say put it all the way up and take it super seriously.

when i beat the game 2 years ago or whenever i would turn it up for monster fights but the majority of the encounters are so lame that yeah i went through 95 percent of the game holding the square button to twirl through things. it just feels like rear end sometimes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

psychoJ posted:

The entire series is marred by forcing you to play as the most boring protagonist ever.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Sweet time to look for my friend and go on more adventures

*runs back and forth for the next hour between 6 houses*

*sets up play*

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

The entire series is marred by forcing you to play as the most boring protagonist ever.

Uhhh geralt owns actually

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Roche might be the buggiest worst controlling horse ive ever used including like oblivion horses

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

psychoJ posted:

Uhhh geralt owns actually

I've seen enough grizzled middle-aged dudes in games to last a life time.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Roche might be the buggiest worst controlling horse ive ever used including like oblivion horses

Well no wonder, you're riding a man, not a horse!

Real hurthling! posted:

the combat system is very polarizing. half the people i talk to say put it on easy and ignore it and half say put it all the way up and take it super seriously.

when i beat the game 2 years ago or whenever i would turn it up for monster fights but the majority of the encounters are so lame that yeah i went through 95 percent of the game holding the square button to twirl through things. it just feels like rear end sometimes.

I played it on blood and bones. It's a good series and the fights are okay, I guess. They aren't good, but they're serviceable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Internet Kraken posted:

well what's the alternative, ancient pants-making GBS threads old dudes? japan has the anime hero teens and children market tied up, final fantasy has the "20something who looks like a truck hit him and he's in his 60s"... i'm not entirely sure what you're asking for here

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

well what's the alternative, ancient pants-making GBS threads old dudes? japan has the anime hero teens and children market tied up, final fantasy has the "20something who looks like a truck hit him and he's in his 60s"... i'm not entirely sure what you're asking for here

uh

women????

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

Well no wonder, you're riding a man, not a horse!

I played it on blood and bones. It's a good series and the fights are okay, I guess. They aren't good, but they're serviceable.

Oops yeah roach

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The White Dragon posted:

dogsicle posted:

uh

women????

lol this exchange is magical

i'd take more badass grandpa / wizened old merlin type protagonists if someone's offering though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's hard for me to imagine the Witcher games somehow got even worse after the first one

having bounced hard off of tw1, i can at least say 2 was way way better

Internet Kraken posted:

grizzled middle-aged assholes are boring and suck but i thought geralt was pretty funny and cool and had a more distinct personality than lots of game protags

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't really have a horse in the race of whether middle aged men should be in games more or less, but it's very lol to me that a response to "there should be less" just blithely ignores the other half of the worlds population

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am reminded again of how the developers for Remember Me had to really push to get a female protagonist.

I should really finish that game one of these days. I recall the combat being a bit clumsy, though.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 13, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Internet Kraken posted:

So has the Witcher 3, it's actually part of the story

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Internet Kraken posted:

I probably bring it up a lot but Geralt owns, his cluelessness is really charming. He's good at fighting and loving but not really anything else and it shows when he spends the entire game either getting manipulated into killing monsters & then getting shorted on pay or being used as a sex toy by powerful sorceresses. One of my favorite lines in the game comes pretty early when the gay woodsman talks about being exiled from town for his "unnatural proclivities" and Geralt is like, ah, lycanthropy.... it's not easy, but cures are possible.

He's handsome and he's really good at killing poo poo but his social development is incredibly stunted and it makes for a really funny subversion of the usual cool RPG protagonist power fantasy. He's a good guy at heart but he's also just a big dumb monster-slaying jock & there is something very lovable about that to me

edit: honestly even tho you only play as her for brief periods the real badass power fantasy main character in the game is Ciri, and the way you spend half the game following her around and picking up the pieces as she accomplishes her own agenda is another really subversive take on the "rescue the girl" videogame plot

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 13, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

dogsicle posted:

uh

women????

:lol:

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

The Colonel posted:

grizzled middle-aged assholes are boring and suck but i thought geralt was pretty funny and cool and had a more distinct personality than lots of game protags
yuuup. it's subtle and hard to tell under his super gravelly voice but geralt's character is absolutely miles ahead of grizzled video game man. a lot of it comes from genuine affection towards the people close to him, a lot of it comes from sarcasm. some of it... is stuff like this

basically, geralt is good

edit: also goferchan put it way better than i did

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll show you a real man's balls

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

well what's the alternative, ancient pants-making GBS threads old dudes?

This was literally Metal Gear Solid 4. There was even pants-making GBS threads.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

psychoJ posted:

yuuup. it's subtle and hard to tell under his super gravelly voice but geralt's character is absolutely miles ahead of grizzled video game man. a lot of it comes from genuine affection towards the people close to him, a lot of it comes from sarcasm. some of it... is stuff like this

basically, geralt is good

edit: also goferchan put it way better than i did

How does Joel from the Last of Us compare?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
TW3 has a scene where you and your two fellow Witchers get blackout drunk, steal your estranged wife's clothing to crossdress, and then prank call the most powerful sorcerouses in the world to see if they're up for an orgy.

Please play TW3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

joel is like the prototypical example of angry grizzled middle aged dude. you dont get more grizzled and middle aged than joel.

• Locked thread