Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

zing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

we must remain Intellectually Open by inviting crank race scientists to speak

next up, david icke to expound his saurian theory of the power elite, an important view to consider in these times of soaring inequality

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Better check in with another failing daily newspaper...

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

a failing news magazine

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/918589649672601601

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

oh my loving god are you kidding me

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
THE FASCIST WALL STREET JOURNAL

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

what the gently caress

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
the world is ruled by pederasts continually raping children and preying on the dreams and livelihood of the younger generation

they need to die soon

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

How the Hell did anyone think this is a good idea?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/alexnazaryan/status/918621223625433088

the reporter in question

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Have all the major publications fired their editorial staff and replaced them with cardboard cutouts? What the gently caress is happening?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

tbf newsweek was never good

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Badger of Basra posted:

tbf newsweek was never good

you know what else was founded in 1933 :thunk:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Badger of Basra posted:

this is like an article from the mirror world where buzzfeed is alt right

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/918610496152113152

uhh, the bell curve guy? real race science hours up at UM? are they having a phrenologist up later?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Have all the major publications fired their editorial staff and replaced them with cardboard cutouts? What the gently caress is happening?

The cardboard cutouts would probably be less of a liability than the unemployable bourgie white men they have instead.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lollllllll

https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/918609024790220800

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

this one is long and dumb so I'm gonna just quote some parts of it

I present to you How Ta-Nehisi Coates Gives Whiteness Power

https://nytimes.com/2017/10/06/opinion/ta-nehisi-coates-whiteness-power.html,
He's right, you found a good article.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

HOW IS THIS REAL

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Badger of Basra posted:

this is like an article from the mirror world where buzzfeed is alt right

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/918610496152113152

We weren’t naďve in inviting Mr. Murray to campus. We knew that he was one of the authors of “The Bell Curve.” We knew what happened at Middlebury.

But we invited him because we feel it is important to make an unequivocal statement that we believe universities should remain bastions of civil debate and tolerance. We want our school to be a place where people of different ideas and backgrounds can genuinely learn from one another.

Should the totalitarian attitudes of those very students who smear Mr. Murray as a fascist be able to intimidate their peers into shutting down voices that disrupt their ideological “safe space”? Should adherence to the prevailing political ideology of a given environment be requisite for addressing members of that community? Simply put, should the fact that some don’t want to hear an opinion mean that no one else gets to? We think not.

If given the chance, we’d invite Mr. Murray again.

lmao

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
so when will they invite marxists?

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
E: how did i get in this dang thread

Oiled and Ready has issued a correction as of 20:27 on Oct 13, 2017

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

got any sevens posted:

Marxists do it for love not money so they never get booked :(

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

We weren’t naďve in inviting Mr. Murray to campus. We knew that he was one of the authors of “The Bell Curve.” We knew what happened at Middlebury.

But we invited him because we feel it is important to make an unequivocal statement that we believe universities should remain bastions of civil debate and tolerance. We want our school to be a place where people of different ideas and backgrounds can genuinely learn from one another.

Should the totalitarian attitudes of those very students who smear Mr. Murray as a fascist be able to intimidate their peers into shutting down voices that disrupt their ideological “safe space”? Should adherence to the prevailing political ideology of a given environment be requisite for addressing members of that community? Simply put, should the fact that some don’t want to hear an opinion mean that no one else gets to? We think not.

lmao

loving lmao

the NYT doesn't disclose at either the top or the bottom of the article (where disclosures usually are) that the guy who wrote this article is affiliated with the very same thinktank that pays Murray's bills

and actually, this isn't the first time that guy got into the news! he stirred up a bit of controversy a couple years ago when he demanded that pro-Palestine activists take down their display and end their protest, claiming that it was "distasteful", "inappropriate", and made students feel "marginalized and unsafe"

just check out this free speech crusader, agitating for the right to freedom of protest and railing against "safe spaces" and smothering unpopular opinions

quote:

At a Central Student Government meeting Tuesday, representatives from Students Allied for Freedom and Equality called on the body to dismiss a representative for his conduct toward SAFE demonstrators on the Diag.

The demonstration at which the conduct occurred took place last Thursday and featured two 8-by-12-foot mock walls to represent the 25-foot security wall that separates Israel and the West Bank.

During the CSG meeting on Tuesday, SAFE members played a video of the interaction between demonstrators and CSG representative Jesse Arm, an LSA sophomore.

“You’re not serious about this, with these signs here,” Arm said in the video. “It’s disgusting. Take it down, you’re not serious.”

In the video, a member of SAFE said she would take down the mock wall when the real wall was taken down in Israel.

SAFE member Devin Jones, an LSA senior, said Arm was demonstrating conduct unbecoming of a regular student, let alone a CSG representative.

“For you to think you have some type of right to come up to us and vent in that way is irresponsible,” Jones said. “Palestinians deal with this sort of abuse every single day.”

quote:

Arm said he does not believe in censorship, but does believe in his right to challenge the protesters on behalf of constituents who may feel similarly to him.

“I felt I questioned the taste, timing and appropriateness of this display. I specifically proposed that at the time, as opposed to an incendiary protest portraying students as terrorists,” Arm said. “I represent students who felt marginalized and unsafe by the protest. I don’t think I’ve done anything to jeopardize my position on this assembly.”

CSG representative Branden Shafer, an LSA senior, said he was concerned by Arm’s assertion that he acted in accordance with those he represents by asking SAFE to take the wall down.

“I would caution you to remember that we are representatives of campus, and not just representing our friend groups,” Shafer said.

Arm said he stood by his actions on the Diag.

“I don’t feel it’s fair to say that what I did to you was racist,” he said. “If you’re going to protest, you should expect to be challenged on that protest. Of course I’m upset by the way things played out, but I’m happy that I got my content out there.”

maybe if they'd spent thirty seconds vetting their guest writer before turning him loose...

edit: he wrote a piece in a Jewish paper saying he was renouncing his religion because it was allowing religious intermarriage, too

Main Paineframe has issued a correction as of 21:02 on Oct 13, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The FAILING New York Times

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

How the Hell did anyone think this is a good idea?

What in the ever living gently caress? Maybe there is a future for Harvey Weinstein as an entertainment contributor for Newsweek.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

got any sevens posted:

the professors you mean?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

an actual dog posted:

The FAILING New York Times

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/daviduberti/status/918933769364615174

nyt is telling its reporters to tweet less because they’re honest about their opinions which upsets internet nazis

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
never tweet

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

THE DISGRACEFUL, SHAMELESS NEW YORK TIMES

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
THE FAILING NEW YORK TIMES

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/919189085109063682

quote:

Nothing has been a harsher reminder that I work in an industry that profits on the exploitation of women — and not just on screen — than the accusations of Harvey Weinstein as a serial sexual assaulter, particularly of aspiring young actresses. Though I am shocked and disgusted by the scope of his alleged predation, the fact that he may have abused his position of power does not surprise me in the least.

I have always had an uncomfortable relationship with being employed in an industry that profits on the objectification of women. Though pressure to “be like the pretty girls” started long before I entered Hollywood, I quickly learned even as a preteen actress that young girls with doe eyes and pouty lips who spoke in a high register were favored for roles by the powerful men who made those decisions.

I grew up constantly being teased about my appearance, even from members of my family; my nose and chin were the main objects of discussion. As a teenager I started obsessing over the possibility of a nose job so that I would look more like Danica McKellar, with a chin job to balance things out. Soon I wondered if I should get breast implants to look more like Christina Applegate, who got so much attention for her curves. I consistently felt like a troll compared to many of my contemporaries. A “TV Guide” critic described me, in a review of the pilot episode of “Blossom,” as having a “shield-shaped” face of “mismatched features.” I never recovered from seeing myself that way.

I always made conservative choices as a young actress, largely informed by my first-generation American parents who were highly skeptical of this industry in general — “This business will use you up and throw you away like a snotty tissue!”— and of its men in particular: “They only want one thing.” My mom didn’t let me wear makeup or get manicures. She encouraged me to be myself in audition rooms, and I followed my mother’s strong example to not put up with anyone calling me “baby” or demanding hugs on set. I was always aware that I was out of step with the expected norm for girls and women in Hollywood.

And yet I have also experienced the upside of not being a “perfect ten.” As a proud feminist with little desire to diet, get plastic surgery or hire a personal trainer, I have almost no personal experience with men asking me to meetings in their hotel rooms. Those of us in Hollywood who don’t represent an impossible standard of beauty have the “luxury” of being overlooked and, in many cases, ignored by men in power unless we can make them money.

I still make choices every day as a 41-year-old actress that I think of as self-protecting and wise. I have decided that my sexual self is best reserved for private situations with those I am most intimate with. I dress modestly. I don’t act flirtatiously with men as a policy.

I am entirely aware that these types of choices might feel oppressive to many young feminists. Women should be able to wear whatever they want. They should be able to flirt however they want with whomever they want. Why are we the ones who have to police our behavior?

In a perfect world, women should be free to act however they want. But our world isn’t perfect. Nothing — absolutely nothing — excuses men for assaulting or abusing women. But we can’t be naďve about the culture we live in.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
i wasn't hit on and that's insulting also women stop dressing like sluts

im a feminist

also don't vaccinate your kids

i can't do this anymore

just drop the nukes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
blossom is strongly zionist too

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SiddharthShiva/status/919038435720966144
https://twitter.com/ejdickson/status/919308915787124736

http://celebritybabies.people.com/2009/06/04/mayim-bialik-talks-attachment-parenting-with-cbb/

quote:

Reader N.S. remembers reading about your contemplating whether or not to vaccinate the kids. What decision did you reach?

We are a non-vaccinating family, but I make no claims about people’s individual decisions. We based ours on research and discussions with our pediatrician, and we’ve been happy with that decision, but obviously there’s a lot of controversy about it.

jesus this is a deep hole to fall into

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
big bang bong bing liberal zionism isn't a real ideology bing bong bing

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taintrunner posted:

big bang bong bing liberal zionism isn't a real ideology bing bong bing

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

i loving hate liberals

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
the failing, liberal new york times

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

this entire week has seen a load of anti-Semitic stereotypes proven true, between Weinstein’s thing and the US quitting UNESCO because “it hates Israel”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lmao

So

"Centerists"

are now going around trolling people with trolls, but we're supposed to be cool with that because if you don't tolerate all speech you are literally a fascist, like Nome Chomsky defending that holocaust denier the right to deny the holocaust?