Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

goferchan posted:

edit: honestly even tho you only play as her for brief periods the real badass power fantasy main character in the game is Ciri, and the way you spend half the game following her around and picking up the pieces as she accomplishes her own agenda is another really subversive take on the "rescue the girl" videogame plot

games that play around with standard fantasy story views on women are cool imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Propaganda Hour posted:

TW3 has a scene where you and your two fellow Witchers get blackout drunk, steal your estranged wife's clothing to crossdress, and then prank call the most powerful sorcerouses in the world to see if they're up for an orgy.

Please play TW3.

Do they make a Prince Albert in a can joke?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Geralt's VA also got really good by the time Witcher 3 came out. He nailed the part.

(and so did most of the other VAs)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd play the witcher 3 but my sucky-rear end cpu means it runs at like 10fps

i've got the complete thing on steam for whenever i finally upgrade though

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Colonel posted:

games that play around with standard fantasy story views on women are cool imo

Yeah poo poo in Witcher 3 the ending you get is basically determined by whether or not Geralt comes to terms with Ciri being a real individual with her own agency, and not just someone defined by her role as his daughter or as a damsel in distress who needs to be rescued. It's a cool take

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Video games alone have so many generic, dull as hell protaganists that don't even talk because some game makers for some reason think that that a character having a personality will ruin immersion that saying Geralt is the dullest you've ever seen just seems ludicrous to me. Like the fps genre alone makes it impossible to even put him in the top 500.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the guy who directed sonic 3d blast, is making a director's cut of 3d blast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_aal1U7bGQ

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

Something I think literally no one had every asked for ever. Like, remaking Sonic 2006 makes more sense because I think if you dug down really deep you could actually get something okay there while really no part of 3D Blast is remotely salvageable.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think it's cool that the guy who made this really heavily flawed game 20 years ago wants to go back and polish it up as a side project

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dogsicle posted:

i don't really have a horse in the race of whether middle aged men should be in games more or less, but it's very lol to me that a response to "there should be less" just blithely ignores the other half of the worlds population

i guess i'm just lumping both genders into the same category, to me a grizzled middle aged character is a grizzled middle aged character whether it's man shep or woman shep

yall reading way too much into this lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think it's fairly understandable what someone means when they complain about big video games loving grizzled old white angerman, is why your post was kinda dumb

you were kinda just making a big deal asking what the guy wants when basically all he was saying is that the majority of aaa games protags are the same thing

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

List of grizzled middle aged woman protagonists in video games:

-The FBI woman from that walking simulator/mystery game about Virginia that I can't remember the name of (it was probably named Virginia)
-The Shepard I made in Mass Effect 2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm personally sick of grizzled middle aged women main characters

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
velvet crowe is a grizzled middle-aged woman in spirit

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

I actually like sonic 3d blast so I'm glad for this.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

nachos posted:

Sweet time to look for my friend and go on more adventures

*runs back and forth for the next hour between 6 houses*

*sets up play*

The play was hella good

*screws up lines on purpose*

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

velvet crowe is a grizzled middle-aged woman in spirit

One of my favorite things in this game so far is Velvet starting typical Cristina Vee and then when she gets traumatized her voice dropping all the way down to Jennifer Hale

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Age of Empires Definitive Edition is out next week, kinda really want that because it was a huge part of my childhood.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

I actually like sonic 3d blast so I'm glad for this.

Sonic 3D Blast was awesome. I also like Sonic Spinball.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean, part of why I thought Witcher 3 was superlative was that yeah, Geralt fits into a tired archetype but it's a testament to the writing that they make him nuanced and interesting within that archetype, and surround him with a cast of characters that are more interesting than him. The game knows that and builds on it.

When I started Witcher 3 part of my trepidation was that because you only control Geralt, I would be missing out on that kind of dense and rich character interaction you get from party-based games. But in the end, even though I was only controlling Geralt mostly on a gameplay level, I felt I got a richer multi-character experience than, say, recent BioWare games.

Like, yeah, I guess Talion and Geralt fit into the same archetype but if you make no distinction between the two by using the most reductive of diversity checkboxes, it's doing a huge disservice to the storytelling in Witcher 3. (Talion loving sucks btw)

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I think I would actually like the witcher 3 a lot more (and may even finish it!) if it was a telltale-style cyoa game so I could appreciate the writing without having to sit through very dry combat.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lets talk about the time dead rising 2: off the record changed the plot so that instead of the bad guy being a weird grizzled old guy and the love interest being a cute human rights activist, the main villain was a human rights activist who was actually secretly a terrorist and also was deliberately made to look more evil by giving her slightly less white skin and a worse character model

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Talion and his tortured relationship with his ghost elf is a lot better realized in Shadow of War, there’s a lot of sniping and bickering at one another but then you have moments where when you pick up an artifact Talion opens up about having wanted to be a woodworker at one point, and his ghost elf dad says “I would have liked to see that,” it’s little moments like that which help add some depth to their relationship.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Colonel posted:

lets talk about the time dead rising 2: off the record changed the plot so that instead of the bad guy being a weird grizzled old guy and the love interest being a cute human rights activist, the main villain was a human rights activist who was actually secretly a terrorist and also was deliberately made to look more evil by giving her slightly less white skin and a worse character model

Capcom: "We need to make this female character secretly evil. How can we hint at this?"

Dev: *eyes boob and skin-tone sliders furtively*

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm personally sick of grizzled middle aged women main characters

It’s a sin that didn’t happen for the western release of Nier Automata

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Taintrunner posted:

Talion and his tortured relationship with his ghost elf is a lot better realized in Shadow of War, there’s a lot of sniping and bickering at one another but then you have moments where when you pick up an artifact Talion opens up about having wanted to be a woodworker at one point, and his ghost elf dad says “I would have liked to see that,” it’s little moments like that which help add some depth to their relationship.

Yea his twisted "you're a parasite but we are a lot alike" thing really shows in War

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Nina posted:

It’s a sin that didn’t happen for the western release of Nier Automata

100% :agreed:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Sonic 3D Blast was awesome. I also like Sonic Spinball.

I like Sonic Spinball but that game is really rough and pretty goddamned hard because of some poor design decisions, not to mention how buggy it was.

It's kinda weird that the only sonic game made specifically after one of the sonic tv shows was a weird platformer/pinball hybrid/puzzle hybrid.

All the music tnat isn't the options screen music owns though.

So regarding the new mordor game, did they give any kind of really stupid explanation behind shelob or are they just going with it and ignoring anybody who is like "wtf is this"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

people like sonic again? ah time to make a directors cut of my masterpiece from 20 years ago *blows dust off floppy disk revealing label reading "Sonic Labyrinth source code"*

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FirstAidKite posted:

So regarding the new mordor game, did they give any kind of really stupid explanation behind shelob or are they just going with it and ignoring anybody who is like "wtf is this"

they already gave a dumb explanation before the game launched. i can't remember what it was but i remember that it sounded like an extremely lol excuse to give a spider titties

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have only played a couple hours in and they seem to be going with "You know how Sauron was an elf(I guess?) but also a giant eye, it's like that"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
good thing shelob was conveniently both a giant spider and also a sexy woman they could use to sell copies with boobs

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like boobs, I even like spiders, not sure a combination of the two does anything for me though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm the last person to complain about boobs in a video game but i'll take every opportunity to make fun of shelob in shadow of war for how transparently it's just shoving titties in a video game while trying to justify it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I like boobs, I even like spiders, not sure a combination of the two does anything for me though.

How do you feel about trees with boobs?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Like, I think why I am really skeptical about the whole Mordor saga is that everything about it felt like a toned-down God of War and sexy Shelob is not helping.

Now if you want to talk grizzled middle-aged white male protagonists, the fact they're making another game about that piece of poo poo Kratos is what I find really dispiriting and immediately makes next year or whenever automatically worse than 2017 for games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

people like sonic again? ah time to make a directors cut of my masterpiece from 20 years ago *blows dust off floppy disk revealing label reading "Sonic Labyrinth source code"*

I looked this game up hoping you were talking about that one cancelled 3D game but nah it's just some game gear game and whatever I was thinking of is called Sonic X-Treme.

Even if Sonic X-Treme would have been awful, I would have loved to see it come out. I'm not sure there is anything else that is like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzvS_beXtXk

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FirstAidKite posted:

I looked this game up hoping you were talking about that one cancelled 3D game but nah it's just some game gear game and whatever I was thinking of is called Sonic X-Treme.

Even if Sonic X-Treme would have been awful, I would have loved to see it come out. I'm not sure there is anything else that is like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzvS_beXtXk

if you wanna give it a look, people got a prototype build of it running a while back

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_X-treme#The_Unofficial_Release

sonic x-treme had an, uh, interesting dev history. got cancelled cause the lead programmer got pneumonia crunching to finish it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like Geralt because he always says witchers are neutral then the next scene is him laying his life down to protect an elf from a lynch mob.

"We should hear both sides-- HEARD ENOUGH" *igni*

glam rock hamhock posted:

Something I think literally no one had every asked for ever. Like, remaking Sonic 2006 makes more sense because I think if you dug down really deep you could actually get something okay there while really no part of 3D Blast is remotely salvageable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RxPKpmlkxQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

if you wanna give it a look, people got a prototype build of it running a while back

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_X-treme#The_Unofficial_Release

sonic x-treme had an, uh, interesting dev history. got cancelled cause the lead programmer got pneumonia crunching to finish it

:thunk:

• Locked thread