Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Assuming Danny is more than a simple cameo, I would imagine it is going to boil down to him just helping out with whatever Luke is dealing with, and Luke is definitely a hero of the people. I'm also guessing IFs2 is going to be him dealing with his angry ex-friend and looking for the city while trying to be a hero or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I never want to see the Hand ever again. Ninja's are okay as long as they are only fighting Wolverine. Season 3 should be about the return of Fisk and taking on the mantle of Kingpin with Bullseye and Typhoid Mary.

muscles like this! posted:

Runaways producers have stated that they changed Nico's powers a little to remove the self cutting part of it.

This is good, very good. I don't even think they do that in the comics now? But then she lost the Witch Arm and has a robot one in A-force.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Gifted hinting at the Stamford Incident as the catalyzing incident for the legislation?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Daredevil S3 is going to do some remix of Born Again, so all I want is Nuke and Chris Evans.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SonicRulez posted:

Daredevil S3 is going to do some remix of Born Again, so all I want is Nuke and Chris Evans.

We already had nuke

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Holy poo poo, this episode of White People Being Forced to Experience PoC Problems, aka The Gifted, was really loving good.

There was a special effects sequence really early in the hour that made me go, Wow that looked hella good, I bet that's where their budget for this episode went. And then the hour went on but the effects kept being good anyway, until that climax scene where their CGI looked even better than the earlier one which I thought was great already! If they can keep up this quality for the whole ten episodes, I'm gonna be drat impressed.

I gotta say though, the actress for Lorna is so pale. Soooo pale. She didn't even look like a real person in some scenes.

.....Wait, is that racist? That's probably racist. :ohdear:

ToastyPotato posted:

Gifted hinting at the Stamford Incident as the catalyzing incident for the legislation?
Maybe. Definitely something of that nature, but the way it was described almost didn't come across like it was a targeted attack on anyone but more like yet another one of those generic X-Men vs Brotherhood fights, but this one got out of hand somehow.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gifted is shot really pretty.

Also, there was Garret Dillahunt, he's always an enjoyable presence.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

bobkatt013 posted:

We already had nuke

Yeah, in Jessica Jones. Which is decidedly not Daredevil Season 3.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Nuke's not dead, he didn't even go full Nuke yet.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think my issue with Gifted is how much stuff like Netflix and HBO and FX has ruined cable for me by actually making good interesting TV. Gifted is just coming across somewhat very generic in feel and tone right now, and everything seems so....budgeted? I don't know if that is the right word, but cheap looking. I still find the family stuff the better part with the Mutant Underground very unformed and it looks like there entire shtick is to have the same three people hang out in an old house doing nothing because the budget isn't there to have them in a different location ever. Also I kept chuckling to myself because it looked like the old house was the backside to the prison.
I did appreciate the prison scenes in the show though, and I really liked the chat about how civil rights are taken away in the name of "safety". It's really delving deep on the mutant metaphor on that one but it works.
I know it is unfair to compare the show to something like Legion but something like Legion shows what you can do with my free reign than regular cable TV, and the interesting directions you can go with that. I would love to see Gifted go in some crazy directions but it probably won't.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gifted shed two-tenths from its premiere, but so did its lead-in Lucifer. It's also gaining off Lucifer so that's a good sign but also it's a sci fi show on Fox and I don't think they had a show about cops in the future to cancel this season.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hopefully Fox is more gracious with Gifted since it is part of one of the biggest brands that they own. My hope is that they probably figured it wouldn't last as a broadcast show and planned to shuffle to FX ASAP when it hit a certain threshold of viewership loss.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Gifted is competently made, but it's so suffocatingly bland. Even Inhumans is more interesting to watch just for the trainwreck factor.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Madkal posted:

I think my issue with Gifted is how much stuff like Netflix and HBO and FX has ruined cable for me by actually making good interesting TV. Gifted is just coming across somewhat very generic in feel and tone right now, and everything seems so....budgeted? I don't know if that is the right word, but cheap looking.
It definitely still feels like a network TV budget, but c'mon. This is really HQ stuff for any TV show. I guess I really need to get around to watching Legion at some point if it's seriously much better-looking than this because this is not the sort of stuff I usually see in my shows.

"suffocatingly bland" :geno:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

It definitely still feels like a network TV budget, but c'mon. This is really HQ stuff for any TV show. I guess I really need to get around to watching Legion at some point if it's seriously much better-looking than this because this is not the sort of stuff I usually see in my shows.

Legion is just full on prestige television, with an according amount spent on everything. You're right about a lot of this show looking really nice though.

(my favorite part of that scene is that truck clearly being painful but no big deal to Thunderbird - they've done a good job showing-not-telling us that he's pretty drat strong and durable)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The CW shows are bland (and cheap) and this is definitely different and better than those. AoS is also very bland in its style. Legion is almost unfair because it is purposefully weird as gently caress and that allows it to do crazy things that let it stand out, but the crazy visuals are part of the story telling. The main character is struggling with mental problems. That simply wouldn't work outside the context. If anything it would get tiresome.

Also the writing on Gifted is definitely not completely ridiculous like on the CW shows. I also just watched an episode of Chicago PD randomly and the writing there was just about as dumb as the writing on Arrow or The Flash. So it isn't like those shows are exceptionally poorly written. Lazy writing is more common than good writing, and so far Gifted doesn't really seem particularly lazy. The biggest downfall of the show is that they have a hideout filled with mutants who don't seem to do anything or have any use because powers cost money.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Heh, it looks like that truck passes right through Amy Acker. Everything about Blink's powers being out of control was neat though.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

I didn't say anything about the production values.

By "suffocatingly bland," I mean that I just don't care about any of it. There's nothing that stands out as particularly bad, but there's also nothing on the positive side that actually compels me to keep watching on any level. It's all just... there.

This is completely subjective, of course, but I just don't get that feeling watching AoS or even Supergirl. (Flash remains to be seen, though)

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

How did the lady hugging the stairs not get wiped out?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Heathen posted:

How did the lady hugging the stairs not get wiped out?

The mutant power of poor editing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Um lol excuse y'all but if you take the gif and play it frame by frame you ~clearly~ see that the side of the truck just barely only grazes her shirt fringes and the bottom of it passes perfectly by where her shoe is so that's check and mate, flatscans :smug:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/IEarths/status/917849834656292864

Glad about this; Ryan is amazing as John

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

He's also voicing the animated series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3X19gYJtCA

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I wish it was any of the shows but Legends. Tonight's episode was one of the worst episodes of TV I think I have seen. It made no goddamned sense at all. Legends is already typically the dumbest of the CW shows, but last season definitely improved a bit. This was easily worse than anything they have ever done.

Sarah is working at Bed Bath and Beyond under her REAL identity in STAR CITY because that's a funny juxtaposition I guess? Nevermind that it makes no loving sense.
Ray, the man who became a billionaire once on the back of his inventive genius, who is still apparently inventing extraordinary tech, can only manage to land a job as a low level programmer for a dating app company, because "lol".
Metal guy tells Julius Caesar his future for no reason, JC gets flashy thinged to forget, and then dumbass whips out a history book specifically about Rome and opens it to the page that shows Caesar's death right in front of him, again for no reason. Then he whips out his cellphone for a selfie with Caesar (this is all after flashy thing to be clear). Then he doesn't notice the gigantic textbook was taken from him until he gets back to the ship. Also Caesar can now read modern English despite being back in his rightful time and having been memory wiped. ALSO Caesar knows to disable time cop's wristwatch despite the fact that this is literally the first time he has ever seen one. Also the Roman's were expecting someone to come for the book? And don't care about people opening portals into thin air?

It's possible I missed a story beat where the flashy thing didn't work. But that doesn't excuse anything I typed, tbh.

The team being lampshaded as bad doesn't excuse anything either, because we were explicitly told that they actually do have some level of competence.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Lol

(Also, reported for racism.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hulu is dropping its price by two bucks for the basic tier to promote Runaways. But that's still paying to watch ads, pay $12 and never watch ads!!!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So in regards to Flash last night, that was loving Metron at the end, right?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Madkal posted:

No, think it over a little more.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

That's what I thought until reading a review. I guess I just don't know some of Flash's less popular rogues.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Google image searching him just makes me question why they decided to basically use Metron's design for him. Because every image I've seen for him looks pretty different than what we saw and the floaty chair is straight up Metron. Granted, radical redesigns is nothing new for the CW shows, but it is one thing to redesign a character, it is a bit different to just lift the design of a completely different character entirely.

I'm going to wager that what we saw is somehow actually a Mobius chair. Since that has time/space properties anyway. They probably will just remove or merely hint at its comic book origin.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 11, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That didn't look like the character you guys think it did.

Turn in your nerd cards.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Rhyno posted:

That didn't look like the character you guys think it did.

Turn in your nerd cards.

Back in my day we called those v-cards

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Back in my day we called those v-cards

It's this God drat PC culture!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Victor Garber is leaving LoT this season, not sure if they're killing him off or what but they're gonna have to recast half of Firestorm.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Victor Garber is leaving LoT this season, not sure if they're killing him off or what but they're gonna have to recast half of Firestorm.

This is a good move on his part. He's way too talented to languish on that joke of a show.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
I yet again enjoyed The Gifted, moreso than the pilot.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The first two episodes of Runaways and at least the pilot of Cloak and Dagger have somehow leaked online, but the only versions are fandubbed into Russian. Just FYI.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

How low is Putin's administration willing to sink to interfere in the lives of Americans!!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Barry Convex posted:

The first two episodes of Runaways and at least the pilot of Cloak and Dagger have somehow leaked online, but the only versions are fandubbed into Russian. Just FYI.

That's oddly specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I love all the lazy little touches in Inhumans, like shaving Medusa's head and giving Gorgon boots. It's absurd that they even bothered making this.

Also Maximus is still clearly right. I'm sure he'll have some mid season, mustache twirling scene, but if this weren't based on an existing property he'd easily be the good guy.