Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Just put a towel over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

call to action posted:

500 dollars is a lot to spend on a rug

For a wool rug not really, unless you don't have any money (no judgement here I don't have a lot of money either). They last 50-100 years if they're hand-knotted, are much more comfortable to walk on, resist warping, and look much, much better.

It's sort of the same argument between drinking Bud light and drinking scotch, except the bottle of Scotch in this case lasts decades.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The easier way to do this is to get dogs and never vacuum. Eventually an area rug will manifest itself.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

If you want a non-garbage wool rug you can get a vintage tribal hand knotted in good condition with a good pad for around $500. It should have some wear on it.

The higher thread count "city rugs" will last longer, are better made, are more expensive, annnnd most people like us hate how they look because they are so traditional​.

Don't buy a "hand-made" wool rugs because that means hand tufted and they are incredible pieces of poo poo, cannot get wet, buckle, and have very strong odds of the latex backing making your house smell like an old condom. They'll also drop dust everywhere if they're made in India because for whatever reason they mix filler into their latex to extend it because they can make more money that way.

Tufted means they take a gun and punch fibers through a pattern and a piece of canvas and it is exactly as sturdy as that sounds

Whoa I never knew that about "hand-made" and I would have definitely gotten suckered by that. A worn-in vintage rug is exactly what I want, but locally one that size seems to go for about 2k.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

For a wool rug not really, unless you don't have any money (no judgement here I don't have a lot of money either). They last 50-100 years if they're hand-knotted, are much more comfortable to walk on, resist warping, and look much, much better.

It's sort of the same argument between drinking Bud light and drinking scotch, except the bottle of Scotch in this case lasts decades.

Don't respond to him, his gimmick is following me around the forums and finding fault with literally every single thing I post, no matter how trivial, then furiously masturbating when he's called out. Just the other day he derailed a thread accusing me of loving Wal-Mart because I posted a Parks and Recreation joke about a fictional store called Food n' Stuff. He's nuts, put him on ignore. Please.

Mozi posted:

The easier way to do this is to get dogs and never vacuum. Eventually an area rug will manifest itself.

That's what I've been doing so far, but lately my husband's been all "this is unsanitary" "my allergies are killing me" "the dog's fur clashes with our couch" "help me I can't breathe I'm dying" :jerkbag: so now I have to hand over my hard-earned cash to Big Area Rug.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
If you have any Habitat for Humanity furniture shops near you, they're awesome for vintage home stuff and may be worth a look. Like most secondhand stuff, selection can vary a lot from one store or area to another, but their prices are great, everything's clean and in good shape, and it's volunteer-operated, with every penny going right back to the organization

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crow Jane posted:

If you have any Habitat for Humanity furniture shops near you, they're awesome for vintage home stuff and may be worth a look. Like most secondhand stuff, selection can vary a lot from one store or area to another, but their prices are great, everything's clean and in good shape, and it's volunteer-operated, with every penny going right back to the organization

I found one of those a few months ago and it was the coolest! They didn't have anything I was looking for at the time, but they had crazy deals on used tools and appliances. Highly recommended.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah the oriental rug industry is like a perfect encapsulation of what is going on with retail. You'll spend half as much on a shittier product with 10% of the lifespan because the retail side is not consumer friendly enough.

There are a lot of scummy people in the industry (roughly 50% of the people involved should be lined up and shot) but the product is solid.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
For area rugs over hard surfaces, I am all about using FLOR.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Re-stores are awesome. Also worth looking at are other reclaimers. We have a great one called Second Use up here. Most big cities will have some sort of independent reclaim store (or several).

Edit: use not life

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 14, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Xae posted:

It has been rumored that Amazon is going to create it's own delivery service. They're making a ton of investments and hires that point in that direction.

They already run one. There's a goon over in AI who does delivery for them.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i will lie down and be your rug for a low hourly rate

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

They already run one. There's a goon over in AI who does delivery for them.

I've always been skeptical of Amazon's delivery methods of contracting out deliveries being able to scale up to anything competitive. I'm not exactly sure how Amazon's delivery logistics work, but I know UPS has its package cars completely packed full with computer designed routes that go down to the level of making the maximum number of right turns to minimize idling while waiting to make a left turn and backing up out of a cul-de-sac instead of driving around it to turn around to shave off every mile they can. I'm not saying it would be impossible to do it, just not with the way they seem to be delivering.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Crow Jane posted:

In my weaker moments I occasionally miss waiting tables/bartending. There are absolutely drawbacks, and it's most definitely not for everyone, but it can be really great money for very little effort, if you're lucky you get free food, and it can even be fun sometimes.

In a similar vein, I really kinda enjoyed working a warehouse job (back where it was full on manual labour). Horsing about massive CRTs all day was like getting paid to go to the gym.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Spuckuk posted:

In a similar vein, I really kinda enjoyed working a warehouse job (back where it was full on manual labour). Horsing about massive CRTs all day was like getting paid to go to the gym.

Ditto, but for working at Best Buy. When I was in college I was a security guard at Best Buy (the guys who wear yellow shirts) and it was an amazing job. The entire store was staffed by college students, management was only a few years older than us, and it was just riddled with drama since everyone was dating everyone else. It was a great experience and I’m sure not indicative at all of what it’s like to work retail.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I've always been skeptical of Amazon's delivery methods of contracting out deliveries being able to scale up to anything competitive. I'm not exactly sure how Amazon's delivery logistics work, but I know UPS has its package cars completely packed full with computer designed routes that go down to the level of making the maximum number of right turns to minimize idling while waiting to make a left turn and backing up out of a cul-de-sac instead of driving around it to turn around to shave off every mile they can. I'm not saying it would be impossible to do it, just not with the way they seem to be delivering.
Step one is making sure their delivery service isn't miles worse than UPS/USPS/Fedex on the consumer end.

Of course that would mean not making it as cheap as humanly possible, so it's probably not going to happen.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I just realized something, one of the new features of our horrible Amazon Cyberpunk Dystopian existence is that I have developed a habit of checking my porch at all hours because packages just seem to arrive at random. I honestly miss the days when I knew my mailman by name, and mail came once a goddamn day, and you knew when it would be there. Now I have some kind of Prime Shipment Sword of Damocles hanging over my head, there could be packages coming at any time. It's 10:30 at night and I just had the reflex to check my goddamn porch. Send help.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LogisticEarth posted:

I just realized something, one of the new features of our horrible Amazon Cyberpunk Dystopian existence is that I have developed a habit of checking my porch at all hours because packages just seem to arrive at random. I honestly miss the days when I knew my mailman by name, and mail came once a goddamn day, and you knew when it would be there. Now I have some kind of Prime Shipment Sword of Damocles hanging over my head, there could be packages coming at any time. It's 10:30 at night and I just had the reflex to check my goddamn porch. Send help.

Just order a night vision-enabled camera so that you can see remotely from within the house... from Amazon. :twisted:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Amazon app sends me a notification when it gets delivery confirmation. Very useful.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LogisticEarth posted:

You know how you can deal with this? Become a driver for Amazon, and then get assigned all, and I mean ALL, shifts on routes that cover your house. You can't be surprised by a package arriving if you're the one delivering them! :shepface:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

duz posted:

The Amazon app sends me a notification when it gets delivery confirmation. Very useful.

I live in Manhattan and this is the least reliable feature. Sometimes I get stuff a day or two after the notification.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Or be super bougie and have your Echo tell you when you get a package

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

paternity suitor posted:

Every drat day... ALEXA DELETE NOTIFICATIONS

Delete all of your notifications, right?

YES

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Liquid Communism posted:

Try hitting the big and tall section. Anything you actually want to wear either doesn't exist in your size, is terribly tailored, or has been out of stock since 1993.

And even if they do have it, the markup is insane. There's no reason for there to be such a huge price jump between 2xl and 3xl, or 42" pants and 46" pants. The lovely Family Guy shirt on sale for five bucks in S-2xl is forty bucks in the big and tall section, it's the dumbest.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

paternity suitor posted:

I recently bought a honest to goodness standalone AM/FM radio because I was tired of using my three year old smartphone to listen to...a goddamn local radio station. I think I know what Echo is, but I don't own one, and I'll just keep looking out my front door and try to convince my wife to order fewer packages from Amazon. :bahgawd:

EDIT: and yes, you can stop assuming, that radio station is my local NPR affiliate.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 15, 2017

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-tabletop-radio/

Might as well go all in.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
christ the wirecutter redesign is loving terrible, its like "hey the old design was presented information too well, compact, and actually not annoying to read, how can we do not do any of those things??"

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
[quote="“LogisticEarth”" post="“477390114”"]
I recently bought a honest to goodness standalone AM/FM radio because I was tired of using my three year old smartphone to listen to...a goddamn local radio station. I think I know what Echo is, but I don’t own one, and I’ll just keep looking out my front door and try to convince my wife to order fewer packages from Amazon. :bahgawd:

EDIT: and yes, you can stop assuming, that radio station is my local NPR affiliate.
[/quote]

I rolled my eyes at least 4 times while reading this. God drat.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I've said for a while that an actual, honest to god FM tuner is my "killer app" for a smart phone.

Sometimes I don't want to burn my battery and data to listen to something.

The dumbest poo poo is that a bunch of smartphones have one, it is just disabled so they can push you to their music service.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
RIP Zune

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Xae posted:

I've said for a while that an actual, honest to god FM tuner is my "killer app" for a smart phone.

Sometimes I don't want to burn my battery and data to listen to something.

The dumbest poo poo is that a bunch of smartphones have one, it is just disabled so they can push you to their music service.

That's just NAB propaganda. Modern cell phones don't have secret FM radios disabled in software as part of some conspiracy.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

duz posted:

That's just NAB propaganda. Modern cell phones don't have secret FM radios disabled in software as part of some conspiracy.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/unlock-the-secret-fm-tuner-in-your-android-phone/

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

LogisticEarth posted:

I recently bought a honest to goodness standalone AM/FM radio because I was tired of using my three year old smartphone to listen to...a goddamn local radio station. I think I know what Echo is, but I don't own one, and I'll just keep looking out my front door and try to convince my wife to order fewer packages from Amazon. :bahgawd:

Alexa, play NPR

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

My Nexus 5X doesn't have an FM radio. That Samsung Galaxy S4 I had for the nearly 4 years before that didn't have one (and indeed there were a bunch of news articles back when it came out about how awful it was that Samsung didn't include an FM radio). For whatever reason, perhaps simply the fact that FM radio functionality is easy to build in, it seems that FM radio support mostly shows up on lower end phones these days while so-called "flagship" devices use different SoCs without it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fishmech posted:

My Nexus 5X

You have a working 5X? How many have you returned after they started boot looping?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Motronic posted:

You have a working 5X? How many have you returned after they started boot looping?

Yes? 0? I got it used in March from a CEX because my S4 was finally dropped in a way that shattered up the screen and like gently caress was I going to drop $150+ on repairing the screen in a 4 year old phone. I'm also going to not be using it once my Pixel 2 arrives.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fishmech posted:

I'm also going to not be using it once my Pixel 2 arrives.

Good plan.

My first one lasted 6 months, the refurb lasted 3. Then I had enough, bought a Pixel and sold the 3rd refurb unopened.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Walmarts in the middle of nowhere are usually incredibly clean and tidy and staffed by people who don't seem on the verge of self-immolation.

I've never seen a Wal-Mart in the middle of nowhere. Like, I would guess 85% of Wal-Marts are on a freeway exit, 10% are on a highway exit, and maybe 5% are not on a major road?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

glowing-fish posted:

I've never seen a Wal-Mart in the middle of nowhere. Like, I would guess 85% of Wal-Marts are on a freeway exit, 10% are on a highway exit, and maybe 5% are not on a major road?
i think he's referring to middle of nowhere as "(far) outskirts in the unincorporated area of (X town/city, possibly small <20k place) to avoid taxes/cheap land"

which is also right off an exit

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Once again, the Dollar Tree proves itself to be the corvid of the retail world: everywhere and irrepresible:

https://qz.com/1102505/the-businesses-amazon-is-most-likely-to-struggle-to-take-over/

I think that Dollar Tree's success is that they are full of things that people don't know that they want, until they get in their. Like, you would not go on Amazon and say "I need a pair of really cheap sunglasses, 2 pounds of spaghetti, a pack of football cards, a Sunset guide to gardening, a matchbox car, a get well card for my aunt, some aspirin and an arizona ice tea" and order those things. Its only within the pristine yet chaotic environs of the Dollar Tree that you realize all the needs you want met for 10 dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Xaris posted:

i think he's referring to middle of nowhere as "(far) outskirts in the unincorporated area of (X town/city, possibly small <20k place) to avoid taxes/cheap land"

which is also right off an exit

One thing that I've learned from D&D is that most of the United States can't imagine a level of rurality too small to have Walmart. Like, exurban freeway exit is as small as it gets.