Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Suspicious posted:

Someone who used to work at paypal said in another thread that there was so much money laundering, charging back and using of stolen credit cards going on that paypal was about to end their partnership with blizzard. The removal of the rmah might have had nothing to do with improving the game.

That's probably me. Basically PayPal gets special low rates from the card issuers because they can flaunt a keyed entry system that is effectively as secure as a card swipe. Issuers know, and have known since forever, that manually keyed card transactions are more likely to be fraudulent (i.e. a stolen card) than one where the card is present and was swiped/chipped. That's what makes paypal's whole system work financially.

Enter the RMAH. You've now got a value transfer system that's open on both ends with just the right amount of volume to allow for monetization of stolen financials/stolen accounts while also allowing for the storage of value in items - buy poo poo with a stolen card, trade it, sell it on another account, draw the money out.

That was a loving black hole of risk. Big enough to make the card issuers take notice and as big as Blizzard was, there's no way in hell Paypal was going to risk their entire business model on the Blizzard partnership. Paypal politely informs blizzard they'd have to drop them because of the risk, blizzard says "oh gently caress" because that would gut their Hearthstone racket (I want to say HOTS wasn't really out of beta yet but I can't recall fully) since that was a big microtransaction profit generator. Blizzard decides to shut off the RM part of the RMAH and eventually, the rest of it. I think they shut it off within 90 days of the announcement or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My feeling is if the RMAH was ultimately that profitable, Blizzard would have found a way to keep it somehow. Its unpopularity left a black mark on the game, but in the end I think they were unprepared to deal with the litigation and legal challenges of a suddenly massive online marketplace of digital loot. They wanted to kill third party sites like d2jsp but ended up empowering them far beyond where they stood in the D2 era because millions of more people were now in the gold trading business.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Plus the limitations they placed on the RMAH (max item price, number of auctions, etc) encouraged people to do business elsewhere. I only sold a handful of things on the RMAH and had hundreds of transactions on d2jsp and PayPal instead.

mewse
May 2, 2006

It seemed like the RMAH was born from Blizz looking at diablo 2 markets and thinking people wanted item trading more than they wanted to actually play the game

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

trading is the worst part of the any ARPG, IMO. That's why I burn out on a lot them because it seems like some things are impossible to get if you play with self found only stuff.

Still, there's more incentive to play and farm longer on the old D2 ladder system vs. seasons now because I have everything I want for my dude in a few hours instead of a few weeks. Still vastly prefer how it's done now in D3, it feels much less grindy and more rewarding actually getting stuff often vs. every 100 baal runs.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Suprfli6 posted:

Plus the limitations they placed on the RMAH (max item price, number of auctions, etc) encouraged people to do business elsewhere. I only sold a handful of things on the RMAH and had hundreds of transactions on d2jsp and PayPal instead.

If you remove the limit on item prices people start using the RMAH for actual money laundering and that opens up all kinds of legal ramifications.

I just think they didn't account for the insane rarity and demand of certain things. The rate of getting ANY legendary to drop was just too miniscule. I believe the top Echoing Furry went for over $7000 or something like that. Speaking of which, as a result, Blizz has utterly refused to acknowledge these items - out of sight, out of mind or possibly out of comtempt? Ice Climbers, Skorn, Echoing Furry, Mempo - the most worthless pieces of garbage today were in extremely heavy demand in the Inferno era.

Blizz will never make those items do anything useful - just to prevent the memory of them ever being any good at all from surfacing and by extension their folly.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

mewse posted:

It seemed like the RMAH was born from Blizz looking at diablo 2 markets and thinking people wanted item trading more than they wanted to actually play the game

I spent literally 90% of my time in the AH rather than ingame in the first couple weeks. And had by far the best gear out of anyone I knew as a result lol. Inferno difficulty was so stupid at launch, I facetanked inferno Diablo for various goons to get the achievement but could be instagibbed by random elite packs in act 4.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

We made the game as bad as possible...AND THEN WE DOUBLED IT

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I just remember getting a trifecta amulet drop and feeling like I hit the lottery.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bengy81 posted:

I just remember getting a trifecta amulet drop and feeling like I hit the lottery.

It's even harder to do now than it was then.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Toshimo posted:

It's even harder to do now than it was then.

Ain't that the truth.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I wasn't around for the auction house, but is that why you can't trade with other players at all now? It was rather frustrating some months back when I wanted to give my wife some gold and cool items to get her started, but couldn't. Like, why is trading with other players still an option in the context menus if you can't even do it?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Left Ventricle posted:

I wasn't around for the auction house, but is that why you can't trade with other players at all now? It was rather frustrating some months back when I wanted to give my wife some gold and cool items to get her started, but couldn't. Like, why is trading with other players still an option in the context menus if you can't even do it?

You can trade with anyone who was in the game with you when the drop happened, up to 2 hours later (I think)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

mewse posted:

You can trade with anyone who was in the game with you when the drop happened, up to 2 hours later (I think)

And that restriction only exists for legendaries, you can drop yellows whenever unless you've equipped them (or taken them to the mystic for rerolling).

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
And it is 2 hours of in a game time, not just two hours from when the item dropped.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What's a reasonable GR ceiling for a novice player using an Impale DH? I doubt I'll get to 80.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Between 70-80 shouldn't be that hard as long as your equipment is decently rolled. I showed you my profile earlier where I did 75 pretty easily. Nothing was augmented I don't think.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Rinkles posted:

What's a reasonable GR ceiling for a novice player using an Impale DH? I doubt I'll get to 80.

Haven't tried this season but in past seasons 75 is doable by any class if you just get the required items and they are decently rolled. They don't need to be amazing or anything, you can probably do it with 0 ancients.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rinkles posted:

I got to 80 with no augs or primals. There isn't really any reason to go beyond 75 as far as the season journey goes.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Yeah. 75 is a Conquest requirement, so there's no need to go past that.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

I'm doing a Raekor Barb/IK build at the moment and was wondering if I want to roll of Attack speed or Vit from an ancient Focus.

I know I want a trifecta one but in the mean time what stat should I prefer to roll off? Just trying to get myself to GR70 before I switch to ZDPS to gear properly.

All the guides I have are saying to make area damage Crits the priority. I have 50% AD from paragon alone so I am also wondering if AD caps?

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 12, 2017

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
There's no area damage cap, get as much as you from shoulders/gloves/rings/weapon. Amulet is too valuable to roll AD on.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
So I got my stash tab for this season and although I'd told myself I'd stop there, I'm only a third conquest away from finishing the final journey. My options are Speed Demon, Boss Mode or Masters of the Universe. The couple of times I've joined a public game trying for a 2 minute rift they've always been miles off so I'm pretty sure Boss Mode is out of the question. The Necromancer set dungeons made me think that getting 8 done would be easy but the old classes seem to be much harder.

Is getting a 2 minute rift solo just a case of hoping for a graveyard and ignoring all the loot drops? Is it something I can reasonably expect to do with a Necromancer (https://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Yeep-2520/hero/99554619) or should I try to push for better gear on my Wizard (https://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Yeep-2520/hero/99554552) or Barbarian (https://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Yeep-2520/hero/99554547)?

Or I guess suck it up and try to bash out another 4 set dungeons somehow.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yep that's all there is to Speed Demon, just hope you get a good seed, clear fast and TP immediately, if you've got 2 players then one TP back while the other kills the boss.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What's the seasonal stash tab? Have I already unlocked it if I've finished the "journey"? Do I need to complete the Slayer objectives?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
You get an extra storage tab (that carries through all your characters seasonal/non-seasonal HC/SC) once you complete Conqueror which is the second to last of the entire season journey.

You can earn one per season for a max of 3(?) I know I hit the limit a few seasons ago. It's great if you're HC or a hoarder.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darkhold posted:

You can earn one per season for a max of 3 4 I know I hit the limit a few seasons ago. It's great if you're HC or a hoarder.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Well that was unexpected. I was leveling my last gems of the season and decided to go up a few levels on my DH to GR 88. I won and got on the leaderboard! Rank 753. Now I'm on both Necro and DH leaderboards. I guess it doesn't mean much since interest in the season died off 2 months ago but it's neat. I had no idea what the bottom of the leaderboard was beforehand, just assumed I was several GRs below it.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Neither boss mode nor speed demon are difficult. You can do speed demon by just fishing for an outdoor floor with good density such as highland, weeping hollow, desolate sands, etc. and leaving the game if it's something lovely (caverns, etc.)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Is anyone else's strategy for season end "ignore the mail until all the items get deleted"???

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mewse posted:

Is anyone else's strategy for season end "ignore the mail until all the items get deleted"???

I just scrap all of it and horde the resources. Came in handy when blew a few days in non-season playing as a necromancer.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

mewse posted:

Yep, and I just delete my old characters when they become NS.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I just buy a couple extra character slots and stash tabs after each season. Simplifies my life and helps support the game.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
What's a fast-to-T10+ starting set for S12?

Particarly, given challenge rift bloodshards, are there low level fairly common itemsthat help smooth out the leveling process or close the gap between the 4 and 6 set piece bonuses?

Uliana's is pretty fun and good but it seems like you need a lot of bonus gear to really get going; things like the fist of Az, which seem to have been particularly difficult to find in previous seasons.

Barbarian seems like a strong contender, especially since you can roll bracers at level 1 with the challenge rift bloodshards for a good chance at a quick power boost.

What about the necromans set? I'm not familiar enough with the set bonuses and low-level bloodshard rolls to make an informed decision.

Any other suggestions?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bluddshed and Dropaduski both have EXCELLENT starter build guides for the upcoming season, Blud has them for 3-4 classes already and Drop is gonna go Barb this season I think because of how quickly they can get TXIII on farm.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

IK is probably the most flexible of the starter sets this time around. Vyr's really needs 13 individual pieces to come together, Hammerdin you can make work with less but it can take time to get the flail. It's probably been two years since anybody has seriously considered Natalya's. Trag'Oul has a little more flexibility because you can do pets or a cooldown build, and the skelly mage ring can be gambled at level 1. That being said the power curve is getting mega damage boosts across the board so just about anything will probably be able to annihilate T10+ in record time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it really bears mentioning that for the first time since launch you can basically play whatever you want and it’ll all pretty much be great

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Is there any point to playing in the seasons if you only own the base game? Some of the achievements require you to complete content in Adventure mode and uuhh... I don't have access to Adventure mode. It states it can only be unlocked in RoS.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ronnie posted:

Is there any point to playing in the seasons if you only own the base game? Some of the achievements require you to complete content in Adventure mode and uuhh... I don't have access to Adventure mode. It states it can only be unlocked in RoS.

It's not worth playing the game at all without RoS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Agreed. Diablo 3 without RoS may as well not exist.