Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

-ish, the issue is Paramount somehow owns the right to solo Hulk films and somehow doesn't want to make a hojillion dollars, so Marvel has to tack on Hulk character development into other guys' movies. Also I think the Planet Hulk stuff is just going to be the middle part of the film, and stuff like the rock guy and gladiator combat are more nods to the comics rather than intended to be an adaptation of a story where Hulk goes to a war planet and frees the oppressed there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

-ish, the issue is Paramount somehow owns the right to solo Hulk films and somehow doesn't want to make a hojillion dollars, so Marvel has to tack on Hulk character development into other guys' movies. Also I think the Planet Hulk stuff is just going to be the middle part of the film, and stuff like the rock guy and gladiator combat are more nods to the comics rather than intended to be an adaptation of a story where Hulk goes to a war planet and frees the oppressed there.
Universal (not Paramount) has right of first refusal for *distribution* of solo Hulk movies. They don't have production rights. It's entirely Marvel not wanting to give up that part of the pie, not Universal not wanting to make a movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zzulu posted:

so they're really doing planet hulk but with Thor as the main character?

It's a combination of comic stories. Like Zoux, I think the gladiator combat is only going to be around the middle of the film. Thor is going to escape and with the help of friends take back Asgard in the third act.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Also Hulk solo films are terrible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Universal (not Paramount) has right of first refusal for *distribution* of solo Hulk movies. They don't have production rights. It's entirely Marvel not wanting to give up that part of the pie, not Universal not wanting to make a movie.

Please don't correct my Hollywood conspiracy theories.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

fruit on the bottom posted:

Not true at all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They'd have more creative freedom to make a good one if Hulk talked. Like they're finally starting to do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dunno if this is TV or movies but they're definitely using the MCU designs.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/918551886449360896

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Definitely in the animated thread.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Ang Lee Hulk movie is worse than the MCU one.

That's my hot take and I'm sticking to it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Roth posted:

That's not a hot take, at least not outside these forums

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

X-Men film news:

-Gambit has a 2019 release date now, Feb 14th 2019.

http://collider.com/gambit-movie-release-date-channing-tatum/

-The New Mutants movie (which is coming out in April??) is getting a teaser trailer in a few hours (supposedly after midnight)

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/new-mutants-teaser-to-drop-tomorrow-255-02

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
...I know there's such a thing as midnight releases but there's got to be a better time to premiere a teaser than 12:01am of the, like, second-last time-zone on the planet.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Not true at all.

In extremely David Cage voice *look at it, ze art is beautiful*

Someone post the Talbot death scene gif

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Roth posted:

Well yeah.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Watchmen is 1/3 of the best comic book trilogy of all time with MoS and BvS.

Yeah, Watchmen is a great comic book, although I haven't read the other two comics you're talking about. Too bad the movie sucks.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Batman's shameful secret indeed

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Watchmen was visually nice (though a bit too desaturated and the Snyder slow-fast-slow direction of action sequences was egregious), but that's the only praise I'll give it.

(I like how Ozymandias had a folder labeled "boys" on his computer desktop in one shot

I liked the Norton Hulk film, it was ok.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
Fallen Rib

Incredible Hulk was one of the best phase 1 films and was better than the first 2 Thor movies too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The only things that sucked in The Incredible Hulk were the weird design of the Hulk's musculature and Liv Tyler. And even then, she wore white in a rainstorm at the end, so there is that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah, I don't mind The Incredible Hulk. It's not amazing or anything, but it's not offensive. I don't remember seriously groaning at any point.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Madkal posted:

Incredible Hulk was one of the best phase 1 films and was better than the first 2 Thor movies too.

The Thors have higher highs and lower lows. There wasn't really anything in Incredible Hulk that wowed me.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Madkal posted:

Agreed. I'm still kinda bummed that Edward Norton is so hard to work with because I want to see more adventures of Norton Banner.

Movie also set up so many interesting things that were never followed through on which will forever upset me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Agreed. I'm still kinda bummed that Edward Norton is so hard to work with because I want to see more adventures of Norton Banner.

Movie also set up so many interesting things that were never followed through on which will forever upset me.

Aside from his difficult personality, Norton just had no interest in making a movie that fit into a largely kid-friendly connected universe, and it kinda shows when you watch the film. Even with the stuff they cut out, it's obvious the movie was trying to be way grimier and adult than what Marvel Studios wanted it to be.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Madkal posted:

Eh, I would put it above the Thor movies but I thought it was definitely in a lower league than the rest of phase one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Not true at all.

Man, that movie tried so hard to do clever visual stuff. Failed spectacularly on making it watchable, but you gotta admire the attempt.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

ahem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ws0IDigK_M

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
New Mutants Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu9e410C__I

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I guess they weren't lying when they said it was going to be a horror movie.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Do they always show the Marvel logo at the beginning of non-MCU movies like that?

Don't know if it's looks good necessarily but intriguing at least. With the horror theme, is Illanya and her powers presumably be a big part of it?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

sticksy posted:

Do they always show the Marvel logo at the beginning of non-MCU movies like that?

Yes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

sticksy posted:

Don't know if it's looks good necessarily but intriguing at least. With the horror theme, is Illanya and her powers presumably be a big part of it?

I heard demon bear

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm interested, but then again I do like my horror. It'll be interesting to see how they tie this in with the rest of their universe too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
.......what...?

I mean I knew it was gonna be a horror film but not...this much.

I'm also super tired of mental asylums being used as stock haunted house settings.

e: Okay after giving it like fifteen seconds more thought, I will give them credit for finding a pretty unique thing to do with these characters. More superhero franchises should try to take such risks (but not...y'know...in a Snydery way). It's also an interesting way of differentiating this whole "bunch of new young X-Men learning the ropes" franchise from the usual X-Men films, considering that those also currently consist of just a bunch of new young X-Men learning the ropes.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 13, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm confused.

It looks like a horror movie. Not a comic book adaptation with horror elements. Just a straight-up horror movie. If they didn't say the word "mutant" I wouldn't even think this had anything to do with comic books.

Not saying every adaptation has to be a fun action romp, but this trailer just didn't convey to me "A horror take on a comic book." More just "Like any other horror movie in the last decade."

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The watchman was as a good movie adaption as you're ever going to get, and it was pretty good imo.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The watchmen comic book isn't that good

While I'm doing hot takes; the Sandman comic wasn't very good either

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Considering Dany's power is manifesting your greatest fears and such, I can see that playing into the horror movie vibe of it. And Illyana has bangs.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

i'm glad this shits on the mcu tone. like its like they saw a mcu movie and said "lets do the exact opposite".

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 13, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Goddamn it can we stop making trailers that have dumb remixes of classic rock songs to make them sound more haunting and ethereal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

achillesforever6 posted:

Goddamn it can we stop making trailers that have dumb remixes of classic rock songs to make them sound more haunting and ethereal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAOdjqyG37A

• Locked thread