Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Just got back from a quick work trip using App in the Air's Apple Watch complication, oddly useful for displaying quick info like which gate you're supposed to be at then when you land it tells you where your bags are. Tapping the complication brings up a few different views you can swipe through showing how much time is left in the flight and other things like that. Pretty cool if you fly a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That is pretty cool I'll have to check that out.

Also yay for the thread being back! We won!

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

I haven't seen a good Series 3 non cellular review. Is it worth it over the series 2?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Delzuma posted:

I haven't seen a good Series 3 non cellular review. Is it worth it over the series 2?
I figure all the (apparently very noticeable) speed improvements are the main thing and that'll apply to the non cellular ones too.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I didnt even know they were selling non-cellular ones. I just assumed it was one of those activate it if you choose things.

Edit: lol wtf they don't even sell a Stainless Steel version with a link band anymore?

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 11, 2017

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Going from a s0 to a 3 is a huge improvement. Cell need not apply.

Half the places I run don't even have a cell signal so it would have been ultra worthless.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

I didnt even know they were selling non-cellular ones. I just assumed it was one of those activate it if you choose things.

Edit: lol wtf they don't even sell a Stainless Steel version with a link band anymore?

I imagine no one was buying them.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Delzuma posted:

Nah not really, unless you really want to be able to tie your cell/data plan to the watch. Or use a bunch of apps... I dunno, I played with a Series 3 for about 10 minutes, and it wasn't a super appreciable difference from my Series 1. I ended up saving over $200 and just bought a SS Series 2 instead of the Series 3.

As a disclosure, though, I hardly use apps on the watch. Apps would launch from out of memory in like a second on the Series 3, and in 3-4 seconds on the Series 1& 2. Not a big deal to me.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Endless Mike posted:

I imagine no one was buying them.

I got an S2 SS with Link on launch. Love it. Was planning on replacing it with an SS S4 with Link when it comes out in a year or two. Don’t want to pay a $150 premium for a Milanese loop I’m gonna throw in the garbage.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Did your link bracelet scratch up like crazy? I got one with my OG Apple Watch and was ultra disappointed by how cheap it felt. I’ve had cheapo quartz watches that had more durable bands.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

I got an S2 SS with Link on launch. Love it. Was planning on replacing it with an SS S4 with Link when it comes out in a year or two. Don’t want to pay a $150 premium for a Milanese loop I’m gonna throw in the garbage.
When I said "no one" what I meant was "a very small number that meant that selling them in with the Watch led to lots of unsold inventory so it's easier just to sell the popular bands and sell the link bracelet separately"

And why would you buy another one? I kinda doubt they'll be changing the form factor. Just use the one you have. And why would you buy a Milanese if you don't want it? You can get an SS with a sport band.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
What's the deal with the Nike Run Club app? It seems like a cool idea but it doesn't synch between phone and watch. Am I missing something? I can start runs on the watch fine but not the scheduled runs that show up on the phone. Also when I start a run on the phone that way, it doesn't start on the watch. I got an 0G Sport, if that matters at all. The Nike Run Club app starts on the watch when I start a run on the phone but it doesn't synch other than that, so there's some sort of connection there. :confused:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bum the Sad posted:

Milanese Loop is rad. More specifically, the "infinite fit" design. My forearms/wrists swell when I work out so it's never uncomfortable. I'm gonna have a real hard time ever wearing anything that can't be similarly adjusted.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Well, the battery on my S0 finally couldn't make it through a marathon, going to zero shortly after mile 25. I guess that's okay. It's been over two years, but I have another one coming up in a month so maybe it's time to upgrade.

Anyone see any deals that beat Best Buy's $270 for a 38mm Series 2?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

enojy posted:

Milanese Loop is rad. More specifically, the "infinite fit" design. My forearms/wrists swell when I work out so it's never uncomfortable. I'm gonna have a real hard time ever wearing anything that can't be similarly adjusted.

And the ones you pick up on Amazon for $10 are perfectly cromulent.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Lum_ posted:

I'm super curious if those don't roll off the same assembly line as the "real" Milanese Loop bands. I bought a bunch of random colored Sport Bands off Amazon for $5-10 a piece and I can't tell the difference between them and the "real" one my watch came with.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lum_ posted:

I gambled with a third party one and nearly lost -- it was a store-bought X-Doria? X-Daria? band. The black coating started stripping off within a month or so, and I caught the links ripping from the lug a few months later, probably hours or days before it would've totally failed and sent my watch off my wrist.

I'd hesitate to recommend the replica Milanese Loops to anyone for that reason, unless they were to say it'd be worn very sparingly (special occasions) because you get what you pay for, and they may not last long.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

enojy posted:

I gambled with a third party one and nearly lost -- it was a store-bought X-Doria? X-Daria? band. The black coating started stripping off within a month or so, and I caught the links ripping from the lug a few months later, probably hours or days before it would've totally failed and sent my watch off my wrist.

I'd hesitate to recommend the replica Milanese Loops to anyone for that reason, unless they were to say it'd be worn very sparingly (special occasions) because you get what you pay for, and they may not last long.

I'm curious if the real Milanese loops have better magnetic hold than the knockoffs. I wore the $13 one from amazon linked a bit earlier and found that I had to constantly retighten it throughout the night.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I posted a bit ago about my $10 black milanese loop knock off. I'm a couple weeks in and I think it's well worth the $10 but it's not perfect by any means. The bottom black "buckle" is scratched up a lot because my wrist will rest on the desk when I'm on the computer. It will loosen up every now and then but usually not enough to make me worry it will fall off. I can understand why some people like the adjustability, but me, I prefer a more secure design.

I'll still use it but it's not my every day band, maybe when I'm planning on getting my hands wet/dirty. I like the feel of leather and I need something nice for work so I think I might pick up a new monowear deployant that matches my new SS S3. I'm still thinking about getting a link braclet knock off but I'm kinda afraid I won't like as it much as the leather.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

resident posted:

I'm curious if the real Milanese loops have better magnetic hold than the knockoffs. I wore the $13 one from amazon linked a bit earlier and found that I had to constantly retighten it throughout the night.

They are around the same in my experience. They both need to be readjusted every so often. For the most part, the silver fakes are quite good and there is not much difference between it and the real band.

The black milanese are shittier because the black will wear off and/or scratch, it's only a matter of time. The real black milanese uses the same DLC coating as the space black watch from what I can tell, so it will never rub off for most people.

Also the real black milanese isn't actually totally matte black like the fakes, it has this kind of shimmery thing going on that gives it a touch of grey or something. It's hard to describe. It's also heavier and feels better due to the weight of the coating. But these are small things.

I'm comfortable with using fake bands for the most part but wouldn't wear the fake black milanese specifically. Just get the silver one if you want an unofficial milanese.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I’ve not seen one Sport Band that is poly-whatever that material is. I want cheaper versions of the Apple one but drat that material is amazing. All the knock off ive bought are good but not like Apple’s

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Just got to play with my S3 LTE at lunch today. I left the iphone at the office and went out to eat a couple miles away. Messages worked great and I was able to easily maintain a text conversation with voice to text and scribble. I asked the friend I was texting to call me and that worked out great as well. I took the call on the wrist, put an airpod in my ear, and it automatically switched to that. Couldn't tell the difference between that and using my phone. Phone call ended up lasting over 20 minutes. I didn't check the battery before I started my lunch, but after I hung up, I was at 50%. I've been wearing the watch since 7am, took the call at 12pm. I'm sure the 50% will last me until the end of the day. Other than that, I tried FB messenger and while it was a little slow, it did work.

I think that's going to work out well for me. I'm sure a lot of drain came from the call but I doubt I'll be wanting to make 20 minute calls often with my watch. I wanted something where I can detach physically and mentally from my phone and just be in the moment where ever I'm at without losing contact with anyone. I, like many others, have a fear of leaving their phone behind. Now I think I'm ok with it. I'm going to try leaving my phone behind/in the car more often now just to see what kind of effect it has on my life. While I do value social media to a point, I hate how I can just turn into a FB zombie at any moment.

Taima posted:

They are around the same in my experience. They both need to be readjusted every so often. For the most part, the silver fakes are quite good and there is not much difference between it and the real band.

The black milanese are shittier because the black will wear off and/or scratch, it's only a matter of time. The real black milanese uses the same DLC coating as the space black watch from what I can tell, so it will never rub off for most people.

Also the real black milanese isn't actually totally matte black like the fakes, it has this kind of shimmery thing going on that gives it a touch of grey or something. It's hard to describe. It's also heavier and feels better due to the weight of the coating. But these are small things.

I'm comfortable with using fake bands for the most part but wouldn't wear the fake black milanese specifically. Just get the silver one if you want an unofficial milanese.

Good call. I like how the black and SS goes together but I think I'll try a silver one out too.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I’ve not seen one Sport Band that is poly-whatever that material is. I want cheaper versions of the Apple one but drat that material is amazing. All the knock off ive bought are good but not like Apple’s

:shrug: I bought a knock off and I can't tell the difference, granted I don't wear it often.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

What sleep tracker does everyone recommend?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I use my CPAP machine :smith:

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Delzuma posted:

What sleep tracker does everyone recommend?

I use Sleep Watch.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sleep-watch-by-bodymatter/id1138066420?mt=8

The biggest selling point at the time was it was the only tracker I could find that just did it's thing without me telling it what time I was going to sleep and waking up.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Edit: wrong thread!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

resident posted:

I stopped wearing mine because if my wrist gets to close to the side of my rMBP is puts it to sleep.

Also, you never think about how metal objects you work around until your wear a magnet on your wrist.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

enojy posted:

Huh never thought about it but I guess that’s something to look forward to with the sport loop I ordered, cause my arms swell a bit while climbing. And it’s supposed to be a bit stretchy so I shouldn’t have to readjust as my arms get back to normal.

spunkshui posted:

I stopped wearing mine because if my wrist gets to close to the side of my rMBP is puts it to sleep.

Also, you never think about how metal objects you work around until your wear a magnet on your wrist.
I vaguely remember the outward magnetism was something that was knockoff specific, albeit I don’t remember hearing about it setting off MBPs sleep sensor one way or the other.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
That InStockNow Is In Stock site let me know that my local Apple Store got a 42mm Space Black Stainless Steel watch in.

I quickly ordered it from their site and selected the in-store pickup.
After picking it up I then cancelled my existing *November* online order.

I got the Black Sport Band for it. Very nice.

Does anyone know how supplies for these work? It seems like local stores (Apple, Best Buy, etc.) may get a single watch every few days. But the online orders? Do those get sent out as the watches are made, or do they stockpile them in a warehouse until they have "X units" to all send out at once? (to save on shipping costs?)

edit:
Corrected
https://www.isinstock.com

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 13, 2017

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

japtor posted:

And it’s supposed to be a bit stretchy so I shouldn’t have to readjust as my arms get back to normal.

In my experience this is untrue, and it is in fact the most constrictive band I own. I like it a lot, it's very easily adjusted, but it's hook and loop so it still requires de- and re-fastening.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Xenomorph posted:

That InStockNow site let me know that my local Apple Store got a 42mm Space Black Stainless Steel watch in.

I quickly ordered it from their site and selected the in-store pickup.
After picking it up I then cancelled my existing *November* online order.

I got the Black Sport Band for it. Very nice.

Does anyone know how supplies for these work? It seems like local stores (Apple, Best Buy, etc.) may get a single watch every few days. But the online orders? Do those get sent out as the watches are made, or do they stockpile them in a warehouse until they have "X units" to all send out at once? (to save on shipping costs?)

It’s secretive, but I would think Apple communicates “expected inventory” that each company should expect and when. Therefore, companies can give etas based on that plus whatever preorders have been made. And for sure, inventory is more reliable via ordering first because you have one warehouse being stocked vs stores nationwide. I would guess there is x allocation for shipping and x for stores; but none of the companies release how exactly they figure that out.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
How exactly does the LTE part work? Like, when the watch is on WiFi or Bluetooth range it shuts it off? Or is it on all the time?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Matt Zerella posted:

How exactly does the LTE part work? Like, when the watch is on WiFi or Bluetooth range it shuts it off? Or is it on all the time?

Yes.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

From my understanding it's off unless you're out of range of BT or WiFi. LTE eats the most battery.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Cool, thanks.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I'm a manbaby child who needs to have shinier things. Bought my Non LTE on monday, checked stock friday, and they had LTE versions in stock. if you tell them you're returning for an exchange, they don't charge you the restocking fee, at the Apple Store. Semi Related : having played with my wife's original apple watch, it took me an embarassingly long while to learn that the whole 'contacts' situation is hidden/gone from watchos 3+. duh.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Nerdrock posted:

I'm a manbaby child who needs to have shinier things. Bought my Non LTE on monday, checked stock friday, and they had LTE versions in stock. if you tell them you're returning for an exchange, they don't charge you the restocking fee, at the Apple Store. Semi Related : having played with my wife's original apple watch, it took me an embarassingly long while to learn that the whole 'contacts' situation is hidden/gone from watchos 3+. duh.

I’ve never been charged a restocking fee at the Apple store within their 14 day window. Pretty sure that’s policy.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Nerdrock posted:

it took me an embarassingly long while to learn that the whole 'contacts' situation is hidden/gone from watchos 3+. duh.

I thought that was kinda weird considering what a big deal that made out of that at launch. It’s not even an app any more.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

I’ve never been charged a restocking fee at the Apple store within their 14 day window. Pretty sure that’s policy.

good deal. at least when i bought the original one, they'd explained that returning for ANY REASON OTHER THAN DEFECTIVE would incur a restocking fee. It's very likely they're trained to say that, but handle it without the fee as to make the customer feel special.

today's tests when my buddy and i were at the dog park : can send iMessages with the phone turned off and the watch on LTE, can make calls, but sending a regular text message didn't go through until i turned the phone back on. edit : which.. apparently lines up with online articles saying the exact same thing.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davestones
May 7, 2009
Any recommendations for a dock for both iPhone and watch? My bedside table is already a jungle of wires so need to tidy up a bit :(

• Locked thread