Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

zmcnulty posted:

I wouldn't want to live on a JET salary in Tokyo. Cost of living is higher in general and I don't think JET provides any kind of cost-of-living adjustment. I suppose you could live way out in some place that's technically Tokyo prefecture for relatively cheap. Especially if your housing is included. But my understanding is that's one of the many "ESID" factors of JET you don't find out about until you get here. And you'll probably find yourself trying to make your way to central Tokyo every weekend anyway, unless your idea of fun is hanging out at whatever shopping center dominates your local neighborhood.

Even if you're not the kind of person that goes out a lot you'll probably find it difficult to save. If you are the kind of person that goes out a lot, you may end up constantly frustrated since you can't afford to get as involved as you'd like.

Personally if I was doing JET I'd say gently caress Tokyo, choose some C-list city with decent public transport and easy access to things that involve enjoying Japan's totally unique four seasons.

peanut posted:

Re: Placement requests, no I didn't hear that directly from a JET admin but if someone writes Sapporo, Tokyo and Osaka it's obvious that you don't actually have a strong preference. You can try researching rural capitals but in the end your preference is only a preference, and will likely be ignored.

If you're serious about living in a major city you should apply to private schools and eikawa instead.

Navaash posted:

I'd like to point out that (for the purposes of JET) that if you request Osaka and somehow get it it's going to be one of the surrounding cities (Amagasaki, Toyonaka, Suita, Ibaraki, Takatsuki, Settsu, Higashiosaka (which believe it or not is a separate city from Osaka), Kashiwara, Sakai, et al) and it's almost certainly going to be ES or JHS. You will never get Osaka City proper for anything. N E V E R. Both BOEs decided a few years ago to say "gently caress JET forever" for different reasons - Interac hosed the pooch super hard with the city contract in the late 2000s and the prefectural BOE decided to try something different for high schools. The city BOE only direct hires C-NETs for elementaries and junior high schools. The prefectural BOE deals with the high schools and they have a two-tier system: T-NETs (who are dispatch employees; not all high schools have T-NETs) and NETs (the T-NETs they considered good enough to direct hire + other good-enough direct hires).

Just want you to know so you know where you might or might not end up.

Thanks guys, this is all really interesting stuff :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
Fukuoka sounds cool though, the city of waifus lol

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I got the Lonely Planet book for Tokyo and it was fine. (Probably should have gone to Kyoto too, but I wanted to stay in one area and Tokyo won out for a couple of reasons.)

Using guidebooks to find tourist attractions is fine, but don't feel like you have to go to only recommended restaurants. Just pick a likely place and you'll have a nice meal. That goes for everywhere, not just Japan.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

quote:

seafood talk

Seafood is a tough one because sometimes it fetches a higher price in Tsukiji than it would in whatever local market. However there's the overhead of domestic transport to get it there, still fresh as possible--boats don't dock at Tsukiji itself. So really it's only worthwhile to send to Tsukiji if it's something where that price differential can make up for the overhead. Definitely the case with tuna. Tsukiji even supplies the sushi for higher-end Japanese restaurants outside of Japan. But seafood that is caught year-round or still abundant in Japan coastal waters (aji/mackerel), sending it to Tsukiji won't necessarily make up for the overhead.

So local markets definitely do still exist and have great fresh seafood, if you know where to look. Tsukiji is certainly the largest at almost 1mio tons per year but Miyazaki for example has three markets that each do 100k to 300k tons per year. Even a tiny market could have something amazing, where the guy that sells it to you caught it himself like 2 hours ago.

If you're just walking around looking for a fresh meal though, it can be tough. Local markets bring seafood in from other parts of Japan like Tsukiji does. So it will have been just as frozen as it was had you eaten the exact same thing in Tokyo.

Your best bet in whatever inaka is to go to the local farmer's/seafood/sake market (i.e. not the grocery store) and ask around about what is both in-season AND grown/caught/brewed locally. For seafood this is typically right at the harbor itself, and sometimes they even have restaurants operated by the co-op that will prepare it however you like.

Edit: I would say that basically nothing compares to catching a fish yourself, then eating it raw mere minutes later. Anyone who likes sashimi must try this at least once. Just make sure you haven't caught a blowfish

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 13, 2017

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
In Hitachi and Hachinohe I know, and probably a lot of other places I don't, they'll have large fish markets which have an area set up with picnic tables and hibachi where you can grill up whatever you bought at the market. Good poo poo.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

topical crosspost

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I used to work at a bank here, if you ever want to cause a shitload of people to work late, throw a few coins in one of the ATMs that don't take coins

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

zmcnulty posted:

Seafood is a tough one because sometimes it fetches a higher price in Tsukiji than it would in whatever local market. However there's the overhead of domestic transport to get it there, still fresh as possible--boats don't dock at Tsukiji itself. So really it's only worthwhile to send to Tsukiji if it's something where that price differential can make up for the overhead. Definitely the case with tuna. Tsukiji even supplies the sushi for higher-end Japanese restaurants outside of Japan. But seafood that is caught year-round or still abundant in Japan coastal waters (aji/mackerel), sending it to Tsukiji won't necessarily make up for the overhead.

Yeah, this dynamic is why I generally have found the random fish at fish markets that are not Tsukiji are better than the random fish in Tsukiji.

It's also why here in the bay area in the United States, the sushi I get from the one sushiya i know who imports fish from Tokyo has better and rarer fish than the average stuff at the Tsukiji outer markets (Note, this place is an exception).

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

ntan1 posted:

Dude, there are so many online resources for Tokyo/Kyoto, and that's why people are making fun of you.

https://www.japan-guide.com/

Dude, no one is making fun of me, they're being smug idiots and ignoring my question. You think i don't know how to Google things? You think I've never been traveling before? I've been travelling with just a phone, hotel wifi, and some preloaded materials and tbh its a pita having to constantly thumb through pdfs on a tiny screen or trying to remember exactly where on what website you found a particular piece of information. For information that's available in a book id much prefer that where I can easily mark pages, write notes in margins or circle things on a map and since I'd rather not carry an entire library with me hiking through the mountains of Northern Japan, I was simply asking which is the best one but thanks for being completely unhelpful I guess

The Great Autismo! posted:

a lot of people live in Japan, they don't know anything about a preferred guidebook. they just go outside and live their lives.

lonely planet is good, if you're looking for something. my first time in Japan I had 24 days flying into and leaving from Osaka and I did kinda what you did, though I obviously didn't go too far away, did a ton of Honshu though.

you can easily fly into Japan with no plan in mind, spend a few days in a place, and then head north. you don't even need a guidebook for that.

This is helpful, thank you

Pththya-lyi posted:

I got the Lonely Planet book for Tokyo and it was fine. (Probably should have gone to Kyoto too, but I wanted to stay in one area and Tokyo won out for a couple of reasons.)

Using guidebooks to find tourist attractions is fine, but don't feel like you have to go to only recommended restaurants. Just pick a likely place and you'll have a nice meal. That goes for everywhere, not just Japan.

This is also helpful, thank you

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxbot posted:

Fukuoka sounds cool though, the city of waifus lol

ya my waifu is from Fukuoka and she is cool and good

seriously tho I went out with forums user Ned one time in Fukuoka and we were drinking beer and eating gyoza and like every single table that could have touched us, it was like four or five tables, were filled with 2-4 girls just chatting, and they were all super cute. it's like wtf.

I wanna go drinking in Fukuoka with Ned to that gyoza place again :cry: instead I'm in rural china, lol wtf am I doing

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

ya my waifu is from Fukuoka and she is cool and good

seriously tho I went out with forums user Ned one time in Fukuoka and we were drinking beer and eating gyoza and like every single table that could have touched us, it was like four or five tables, were filled with 2-4 girls just chatting, and they were all super cute. it's like wtf.

I wanna go drinking in Fukuoka with Ned to that gyoza place again :cry: instead I'm in rural china, lol wtf am I doing

Yeah, it was pretty neat. I don't think there were any male customers in our immediate vicinity. Just tables upon tables of women. And that isn't even the type of place that specifically tries to appeal to women.

However, there aren't really any JET positions in Fukuoka city. They are usually way out in the countryside.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

could someone please look at this link and tell me if this item is something I can walk into the West Shinjuku location and buy. I find the 'in stock now' and 'we will order' confusing when used together in the stock tracker table. I'm thinking in stock means they can order it because its instock at a warehouse or something? http://www.yodobashi.com/product/10...AvD_BwE&xfr=pla

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

quote:

在庫のある店舗 (0)

Means it isn't in any stores.

quote:

お届け日:
通常2日~4日以内に発送可能
この商品は、「東京都新宿区」へのお届けには日時を指定できません。

Means they can ship it in 2-4 days, but you can't specify the day and time it'll be delivered to Shinjuku.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Stringent posted:

Means it isn't in any stores.

Means they can ship it in 2-4 days, but you can't specify the day and time it'll be delivered to Shinjuku.

Thanks. Thats a shame I dont think that would work for my timeline. My host has one in orange he said he would sell me and just replace but I wanted white and he has orange.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I found Japan's culture to be pretty boring

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Ratjaculation posted:

Cool story bro!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ratjaculation posted:

mlyp

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

I wouldn't want to live on a JET salary in Tokyo. Cost of living is higher in general and I don't think JET provides any kind of cost-of-living adjustment. I suppose you could live way out in some place that's technically Tokyo prefecture for relatively cheap. Especially if your housing is included. But my understanding is that's one of the many "ESID" factors of JET you don't find out about until you get here. And you'll probably find yourself trying to make your way to central Tokyo every weekend anyway, unless your idea of fun is hanging out at whatever shopping center dominates your local neighborhood.

Even if you're not the kind of person that goes out a lot you'll probably find it difficult to save. If you are the kind of person that goes out a lot, you may end up constantly frustrated since you can't afford to get as involved as you'd like.

Personally if I was doing JET I'd say gently caress Tokyo, choose some C-list city with decent public transport and easy access to things that involve enjoying Japan's totally unique four seasons.

I’m a jet in Tokyo and I have no problem living in Tokyo and saving money. I go out every weekend and travel as much as time allows. I do cook my own food during the weeks though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Do other alts really make that much more than jet? I have no idea what the regular salary is these days.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I’m a jet in Tokyo and I have no problem living in Tokyo and saving money. I go out every weekend and travel as much as time allows. I do cook my own food during the weeks though.

When you say Tokyo do you mean Saitama

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ratjaculation posted:

this says a lot more about you than it does about Japan's culture

MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

To Maintain the System the Abusive Power is Sometimes Necessary
-Pappa Brittle
Re: Travelbook chat, I just thought I'd drop the names of some books I found to be interesting when I planned my trips to Japan, in case any one else is interested:

- Drinking Japan - A Guide to Japan's Best Drinks and Drinking Establishments
Goes into details about various kinds of bars and distilieries that can be visited. Also has a glossary of drinking specific terms that you can try to remember to use and forget when the time is right

- Food Sake Tokyo (The Terroir Guides)
Extensive descriptions of various styles of restaurants and food markets you can visit.

- Lonely Planet Hiking in Japan
I love to go for hikes, so this had a nice breakdown of places you can go check out across Japan, ranked by length and difficulty

Basically, I flipped through and circled stuff on my 14 hour flight over, and then did maybe 20% of the stuff I had picked.

Of course if you don't like eating , drinking, or hiking these books won't be for you

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

MoofOntario posted:

Extensive descriptions of various styles of restaurants and food markets you can visit.

If you get this one, the author maintains a list of updates for it on their blog: https://foodsaketokyo.com/

The most recent list of updates: https://foodsaketokyo.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/food-sake-tokyo-updates-20170221.pdf

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

My rent and utilities were 20,000 in total.

If I had been placed in somewhere like Tokyo, I wouldn't have been able to pay off my student loans.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 13, 2017

MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

To Maintain the System the Abusive Power is Sometimes Necessary
-Pappa Brittle

.Z. posted:

If you get this one, the author maintains a list of updates for it on their blog: https://foodsaketokyo.com/

The most recent list of updates: https://foodsaketokyo.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/food-sake-tokyo-updates-20170221.pdf

Yup, I also like following the author on twitter, where she posts a lot of interesting stuff for me to dream about for my next trip. https://twitter.com/YukariSakamoto

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

MoofOntario posted:

Re: Travelbook chat, I just thought I'd drop the names of some books I found to be interesting when I planned my trips to Japan, in case any one else is interested:

- Drinking Japan - A Guide to Japan's Best Drinks and Drinking Establishments
Goes into details about various kinds of bars and distilieries that can be visited. Also has a glossary of drinking specific terms that you can try to remember to use and forget when the time is right

- Lonely Planet Hiking in Japan
I love to go for hikes, so this had a nice breakdown of places you can go check out across Japan, ranked by length and difficulty

Basically, I flipped through and circled stuff on my 14 hour flight over, and then did maybe 20% of the stuff I had picked.

Of course if you don't like eating , drinking, or hiking these books won't be for you

This is good stuff. I'll have a look at that hiking book. I plan to do a lot of hiking

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

this says a lot more about you than it does about Japan's culture

That he’s got good taste and is classy, yeah.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

zmcnulty posted:

Edit: I would say that basically nothing compares to catching a fish yourself, then eating it raw mere minutes later. Anyone who likes sashimi must try this at least once. Just make sure you haven't caught a blowfish

Oooooooh, some sort of activity involving fishing and then making sashimi out of it would be seriously cool.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Oooooooh, some sort of activity involving fishing and then making sashimi out of it would be seriously cool.

Zauo: http://www.zauo.com/en/

edit: Better link
edit 2: Rereading his post, I think he's actually just going out and fishing and doing so. But yeah, Zauo is what you are looking for.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you put anything other than Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto as your Jet preference you’re likely to get it. Most people don’t request anything but those 3. If you put a preference down you’ll probably be asked about it in the interview so they can see if you have a more compelling reason than it’s a big city. If you have spouse/family somewhere they will do what they can to accommodate that, but it’s up to the hiring organizations.

I didn’t put down a preference but kinda wish I would have because they sent me to the city where I studied abroad in high school, because that town preferred people with local experience. It might have been nice to go somewhere other than like a mile down the road from the last place I lived in Japan.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

And now you're stuck there forever lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

When you say Tokyo do you mean Saitama

When I say Tokyo I mean Tokyo.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
You're aware that everything outside the Yamanote line is Saitama, right?

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peanut posted:

And now you're stuck there forever lol

So owned.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So it looks like dad's gonna go to a conference in Yokohama, and we'll be based out of there for a few days. It looks like you can get into Tokyo from Yokohama pretty easily, so I think we can still hit the place up. That means the dates will look something like this:

May 9~10: Travel to Yokohama and check in
May 11~13: Tokyo, do poo poo there like cooking class, sightseeing, goonmeet?
May 14: Travel to Kyoto
May 15~18: Kyoto sightseeing, flower viewing, maybe even Himeji
May 19~20: Fly home

How long does it take to go from Yokohama to Kyoto (or whatever suburb is better to stay in)? If it isn't too long, we could squeeze some Kyoto-ing into the 14th. Or maybe I can add an extra day to Yokohama/Tokyo...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Tokyo Station to Shin-Osaka is about 3 hours on the shinkansen. So probably 2 and change from Yokohama to Kyoto.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The issue is the price of Shinkansen. You could JR pass it but that adds 30 minutes each direction due to not using nozomi.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A Hikari from Shin-Yokohama to Kyoto is ~140 minutes and 13000 yen. It's in justifiable JR Pass territory.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

What are the chances of me being able to catch a train out of Tokyo to Kyoto this Sunday evening given that a typhoon may mess things up a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

At a conservative estimate, I'd give you a 100% chance of being able to catch such a train.