Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Apropos of nothing, I just want to say again how much I like the Ruthless Ruffian rogue class feature from Martial Power, and every power created for said build. It's one of the most interesting and fun twists on a core class I've ever seen.

Funnily enough I think it is by far considered the most poo poo rogue option, because its core benefits are comparatively underwhelming and any rogue can poach the rest of it if they are so inclined.

Like all the PHB classes Rogue is one of the best classes in the game though, so in general you won't notice a huge disparity. It is the class I've had the most fun with.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

dont even fink about it posted:

Funnily enough I think it is by far considered the most poo poo rogue option, because its core benefits are comparatively underwhelming and any rogue can poach the rest of it if they are so inclined.

Like all the PHB classes Rogue is one of the best classes in the game though, so in general you won't notice a huge disparity. It is the class I've had the most fun with.

Oh I'm not surprised at all, but its mere existence means we have a bunch of rogue powers that are flavored around knocking people around so badly that they get spooked and do what you say. And the idea of a rogue wielding maces is the best.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
What're some of people's favourite Heroic monster combos? I'm running a level 5 oneshot with a mix of new and veteran players next week, so I want some combat encounters that are challenging but not total bullshit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I had a strange idea for a 4E hack last night. Killing Floor 2 has a pretty decent system of perks and abilities, a good selection of weapons, and some nice enemy variety with pretty clear power divides on a Minion/Standard/Elite/Solo scale.

So, throwing that together with some ideas from that, Left 4 Dead, and other 'horde survival' shooters, I'm going to start work on what I'm calling Killing Four.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

> Subscribe

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm going to start work on what I'm calling Killing Four.

Boo that's horrible, I love it.

fog boar
Sep 14, 2017

I tried emulating the L4D2 zombies but I think just making some monsters that are inspired by them may be a better idea.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Honestly, for zombies/hordes I've really taken a liking with how Xcom's new dlc does them:

Low health enemies, if you kill(which you usually do unless you're using a poo poo pistol), you get to shoot again, repeat until out of ammo or you miss. You can never "clear" an area of them, more will always show up, so it's a moving battle.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Alright folks, here's what I posted in the OD&D thread when I thought that's where 4E discussion had moved:

quote:

I've been looking into running a 4E campaign but the general sense that I'm getting is that D&D Insider is no longer a functional option unless I'm already actively subscribing to it. Is that accurate? I have 6 books of it including all 3 core books so I'm definitely not out of options if that's the case, but the campaign be over Skype with some remote players so I'm hoping there are some options available that let players access the rules without being in the same physical room as me and reading the same physical books as me

And here's what helpful friend dwarf74 posted in reply:

quote:

Heya! FYI, there's a dedicated 4e thread here

You actually can still subscribe to Insider; rumors of its demise have been greatly exaggerated. But if all you want is the character builder, there are other options.

That sounds great! Can anyone confirm how I can do this? I'm happy to pay whatever subscription fees apply - I just want to be able to access as much of the full list of powers / feats / equipment / monsters that Insider had back when I used it. I'm not sure what's included and excluded in the character builder that dwarf74 mentioned, but if I have everything I'll need to actually build characters (as in, knowing what all the actual power options and such DO, not just a sheet where I can write down which powers I've chosen) in that, I'll be happy to outsource all my monster design to ideas from the original Monster Manual and math from MM3 on a Business Card

Also, I recall hearing that WotC shut down their own forums that contained all those fantastic class guides, but that they all got moved somewhere successfully before the forums closed. Where did they end up - ENWorld? RPGNet?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Jenny Angel posted:

Alright folks, here's what I posted in the OD&D thread when I thought that's where 4E discussion had moved:

That sounds great! Can anyone confirm how I can do this? I'm happy to pay whatever subscription fees apply - I just want to be able to access as much of the full list of powers / feats / equipment / monsters that Insider had back when I used it. I'm not sure what's included and excluded in the character builder that dwarf74 mentioned, but if I have everything I'll need to actually build characters (as in, knowing what all the actual power options and such DO, not just a sheet where I can write down which powers I've chosen) in that, I'll be happy to outsource all my monster design to ideas from the original Monster Manual and math from MM3 on a Business Card

Also, I recall hearing that WotC shut down their own forums that contained all those fantastic class guides, but that they all got moved somewhere successfully before the forums closed. Where did they end up - ENWorld? RPGNet?

I was subscribed to insider for a while but if you have a rough idea of what you're looking for or don't mind hunting around this wiki seems to have a lot of stuff just plain copy and pasted onto it: http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Allied_Accuracy

It looks like it's got powers and feats but no items?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Jenny Angel posted:

DDI subs can be bought here. Alternatively, join my discord server, and check out the 4e-stuff channel to get the offline char builder and offline compendium. You can join via this link
Char op guides came here Most are in tact, some links are broken however. Quality also varies for some but mostly it's a good starting point and helps avoid trap options etc.

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 27, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Are there any other archers that even remotely touch rangers? Seekers are rear end*. Hunters (which are techically rangers) seem pretty poo poo, like most e-classes. Apparently clerics and avengers can specifically build for using bows but I have a hard time believing either is worth a poo poo. Warlords make OK archers I guess, but since they use STR to attack they won't have the DEX for archery-related feats. Skalds can use bows and they're pretty ok I guess? Artificers can use crossbows as implements and they're ok I guess, but again they won't have DEX for archery feats.

Mind you, I don't mean "will rival a ranger's damage output" because basically no character will (without poaching twin strike), I just mean "good at their job" and also preferably deals not-terrible damage.

* You can work really hard to make a seeker that is less-than-rear end but they're still not great as a controller (or anything else).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can't monks do some crazy archery poo poo? I recall reading some monk-vs-tarrasque theorycrafting that used a bow.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Prescient Bard's got the same issue as most of the others in that Dex for archery feats would be a distant 4th priority, but I remember people talking it up a fair bit at the time.

On the other hand the last ranged character I played was a Drow Sharpshooter Rogue built around stupid dual-wield hand crossbow tricks so I am the last person to ask about good ranged builds probably.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
For bows specifically, rangers are the kings; few others can use them even close to as well, and they probably want to hybrid or multiclass ranger anyways. That is because most other classes with ranged weapon attacks either already have reason to use a crossbow instead, or...well, the almighty dagger exists, as does the Hungry Greatspear. A weapon both ranged and melee!

That said, there are classes that use weapon based ranged attacks that aren't the ranger! They just probably want a crossbow or dagger or Hungry Greatspear instead. They are:

Rogue (and thief), Warlord, Bard, Seeker, and Artificer.

(At least, going off my immediate memory)

Monks are not a ranged class at all, and while you can make a weird monk|ranger that uses bows well, all their archery is on the ranger side of things.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Any Half-Elf can be decent with a bow in Paragon+ because they can poach Twin Strike from Rangers and then feat into it into a Charisma skill, and Twin Strike is all you REALLY need to be viable in most games.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Subjunctive posted:

Can't monks do some crazy archery poo poo? I recall reading some monk-vs-tarrasque theorycrafting that used a bow.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Monks are not a ranged class at all, and while you can make a weird monk|ranger that uses bows well, all their archery is on the ranger side of things.
Weirdly, both of these statements are true. There's some strange interactions with using a bow as an implement for monk attacks that can be exploited for fun and profit, but I've never seen them prove out as more effective than just using daggers. Outside of some very specific situations, in any case.

It's also not exactly archery (eg. ranged weapon combat) in terms of the mechanics, though if you visualize whats going on, it'd be some hilariously over the top wushu bowmanship.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Weirdly, both of these statements are true. There's some strange interactions with using a bow as an implement for monk attacks that can be exploited for fun and profit, but I've never seen them prove out as more effective than just using daggers. Outside of some very specific situations, in any case.

It's also not exactly archery (eg. ranged weapon combat) in terms of the mechanics, though if you visualize whats going on, it'd be some hilariously over the top wushu bowmanship.

Right, but it's also not ranged. All monk powers are blasts, close bursts, and melee.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Right, but it's also not ranged. All monk powers are blasts, close bursts, and melee.
Yeah, that's what I said. Archery isn't a defined game term though so it's not automatically clear which thing qualifies.

If you mean archery in the specific sense of making ranged weapon attacks with a bow, then no, monks don't do that.

If you mean archery in the broader narrative sense of using any sort of power with a bow, then sure, though mechanically its acting as an implement for blasts and bursts.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Yeah, that's what I said. Archery isn't a defined game term though so it's not automatically clear which thing qualifies.

If you mean archery in the specific sense of making ranged weapon attacks with a bow, then no, monks don't do that.

If you mean archery in the broader narrative sense of using any sort of power with a bow, then sure, though mechanically its acting as an implement for blasts and bursts.

No no, what I mean is, it's not ranged. Not that it isn't a ranged weapon attack - but that you fundamentally are hitting dudes Close To You, instead of Far Away.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

No no, what I mean is, it's not ranged. Not that it isn't a ranged weapon attack - but that you fundamentally are hitting dudes Close To You, instead of Far Away.
You have a remarkable ability to read someone agreeing with you and take it as an argument.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

You have a remarkable ability to read someone agreeing with you and take it as an argument.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to take it as an argument, I just thought we were saying two different things.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey, I was thinking about playable orcs and how they differ from half-orcs and the weird place half-orcs have in dnd history(basically a compromise to create a playable orc back when they were all one-dimensionaly evil and brutish), and I was wondering if there's any 4e material on player character orcs aside from the tiny stat block at the end of the first monster manual. I checked Dragon Magazine, and there doesn't seem to be anything there.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I have another 'big maps in Zeitgeist' kind of a problem. I've solved some of them by going to minute scales (so each square is 10' instead of 5', complete with 1/2" character tokens) but the map coming up is ... oof. It's a doozy.

I'll spoiler it just in case, but also try not and spoil too much of it.

So the 'main' map will end up at 3-1/2 feet, square. This may be a stretch, but I think I can fit it on my table. This is in 10' scale; if I tried to represent it in 5' scale, it would be 7' by 7', which is a non-starter.

There is also a sub-map which may be able to interact with the main one - a huge zeppelin - which has a lot of empty space, but which is 3-1/2 feet by about 2 feet, representing two decks. The party will be split between the two maps.

One of the enemy combatants is 300'/60 squares tall (30 in 10' scale) and can be represented by - in this scale - a 10" square mini, but this is literally the least of my concerns.

How the hell should I even run this? Set up multiple tables?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

So I have another 'big maps in Zeitgeist' kind of a problem. I've solved some of them by going to minute scales (so each square is 10' instead of 5', complete with 1/2" character tokens) but the map coming up is ... oof. It's a doozy.

I'll spoiler it just in case, but also try not and spoil too much of it.

So the 'main' map will end up at 3-1/2 feet, square. This may be a stretch, but I think I can fit it on my table. This is in 10' scale; if I tried to represent it in 5' scale, it would be 7' by 7', which is a non-starter.

There is also a sub-map which may be able to interact with the main one - a huge zeppelin - which has a lot of empty space, but which is 3-1/2 feet by about 2 feet, representing two decks. The party will be split between the two maps.

One of the enemy combatants is 300'/60 squares tall (30 in 10' scale) and can be represented by - in this scale - a 10" square mini, but this is literally the least of my concerns.

How the hell should I even run this? Set up multiple tables?

Goddamn this makes me glad I'm using virtual tabletops for this campaign. Could you go even smaller scale and use drawing pins from tokens instead? This assumes you're printing a one use sheet instead of drawing it out on a battlements. But if you're averse to using two tables it might be easiest way. Or using 5mm beads

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Spiteski posted:

Goddamn this makes me glad I'm using virtual tabletops for this campaign. Could you go even smaller scale and use drawing pins from tokens instead? This assumes you're printing a one use sheet instead of drawing it out on a battlements. But if you're averse to using two tables it might be easiest way. Or using 5mm beads
I would seriously consider switching to a VTT just for this thing.

Pins are an interesting idea, but not all that epic. Still, I think that may be a good direction to look in.

I think now that I got my basement cleaned out some, I might be able to do the double-table thing, but because both maps are working at once, it would mean walking between tables.

That's not even considering how insanely complicated the fight is. Spoiled, again.

On the ground, you're facing first two, then maybe three, Level 30+ solos with full-page stat blocks. Nic is 30, Colossus is 34, and Ghosts are 30, but totally hosed until something happens on the field.

In the air, it's a 30 Elite, a 30 Standard, a 30 goon 'medic', and 6 30 goon squads. Also mostly pretty complicated!

The party also has an ally in a big metal dragon (30 elite), and either an ally or an enemy of a 30 standard based on how a previous adventure went.

So I'll be juggling probably 9 different stat blocks, too, most of which are very complex.

On the upside, defeating all the enemies really isn't the primary method of victory. It's one out of like, 3. Oh, and the party should have access to godlike powers, unless they choose not to use them.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How have they been liking the lead up to the climax?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mordiceius posted:

How have they been liking the lead up to the climax?
We mostly ignored the whole "climax helix" bit after the Prologue. They were pretty into the Gyre and it sounded more like a bucket of cold water than an exciting and innovative structure.

I really thought we were staring down the barrel of a tpk during the golden legion fight, and the Voice of Rot fight has been long and difficult. But it's been good. I am loving this adventure.

We are several sessions out from this finale, and I'm also worried a bit about the lead-up, aka "Split the Party: The Adventure" for game flow reasons, but I think it will work.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My CBLoader doesn't seem to be working any more. If a PM were to show up with the stuff to reinstall CBuilder/CBLoader, that would be rad.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Man, just finished adventure 3 of Zeitgeist. Holy crap that was intense.
Instead of taking the fight one bit at a time, the group split up, with one member rocket-belt jumping to the 2nd floor to take on the RHC turncoat Saxby and free all-around-good-guy-Stover Delft from the unearthly Worm Maw all by himself. One member leaping after demon-possessed Xambria/Sijhen into the final ritual tunnel in the second round, and the remainder of the group fighting on the 1st floor as all the chaos converged in the main hallway.

Was absolute chaos, had Saxby's shlubs turncoat after some good diplomacy and end up helping the group keep Saxby busy enough to help the guy on the second floor take out the assassin and the worm maw, then have to deal with crazy Delft who had gone mad in the meantime. All this while the one guy in the tunnel was trying, and failing, to stop Sijhen summoning a great big beast through the portal from Gidim and into the tunnels of Flint.

All this ends with the group filtering down into the tunnel, one by one getting knocked down, until they manage to start up a train engine, with a golden seal held to the front by one of the characters, and plow the massive beast back into the portal and seal it with gold and stone and train.

I love this loving adventure.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Man, that was a good one. I remember it well.

Sounds like a kickass session too.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I ended up finding another zeitgeist 4e game, and then had to leave because I changed timezones.

I'm cursed.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I ended up finding another zeitgeist 4e game, and then had to leave because I changed timezones.

I'm cursed.

I think that was my game too.
:(

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I should run a Zeitgeist game on Roll20 sometime. I've been itching to run a game. Haven't played any D&D since about two years ago when my group fell apart (due to everyone being way too busy in grad school)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never run an adventure out of a book it just seems so lame.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I think the advantage is how much less work it is.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Turtlicious posted:

I've never run an adventure out of a book it just seems so lame.

whats lame about it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Moriatti posted:

I think the advantage is how much less work it is.

Yup. You still have adjust stuff for the players, but you at least have a framework to work with.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yup. You still have adjust stuff for the players, but you at least have a framework to work with.

Part of the reason zeitgeist is fantastic is don't need to adjust very much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

The advantage with Zeitgeist aswell, is there is a lot of stuff in it that is like "super set ups for later-on payoff" stuff that I just wouldn't come up with myself on the fly, or make it very convincing.

Mordiceius posted:

I should run a Zeitgeist game on Roll20 sometime. I've been itching to run a game. Haven't played any D&D since about two years ago when my group fell apart (due to everyone being way too busy in grad school)

If you're not stuck to Roll20, I have made the entire first Act (Adv 1-5) on Fantasy Grounds, and am making the rest as I go along with my group. All monsters, tokens, art, character options, maps, story elements etc made up and done ready to go, and you're welcome to have it (works all done for you). It's pretty high production value too, as I make other modules to sell on FG

I offered it to ENPub guys that made the adventure for them to sell for free, and they told me "Nah we tried herolab once, and it didn't sell so we're not interested in online stuff like that".

Also, I know I harp on about FG (I'm not a paid shill I swear), but it really is fuckin' amazing for 4e, effects tracking and combat tracking makes everything so much smoother for players and GMs, and you don't need to gently caress around with macros repeatedly.

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 23, 2017