Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
At some point I'll check the thread when one of these hasn't been solved. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

BGM: Cage

"..."
"Ange-chan. You don't need to use math. Make sure you remember the problem clearly... How long... is the candle when it burns out...?"
"Ah! That was a close one...! The candle goes out when it's 1 centimeter long, so the rest doesn't matter!"

The flame on this candle dies when the candle is 1 centimeter in length. In other words, it can never get shorter than 1 centimeter. So the right answer is the fifth choice, "About 10mm"...!

"That's right...!"
"You are correct."
"Oooh, splendidly done, Ange! How clever of you, not to be misled!"
"I didn't even need division. I almost got tricked...!"
"You were pretty mean there, Genji-san. You even asked her if she could do division. That was a trap, right?"
"Correct. My humble apologies."
"Hahhahahahaha. After all, Genji-san is the sort who can trick you without changing his expression in the slightest."
"Congratulations, Ange-sama. This medal is proof that you have correctly solved my puzzle."
"Thanks! Eheheh, I got another medal, Aunt Eva...!"
"Heheh, nice going!"
"I'll get lots more. I'll get a ton, and then Grandfather will give me a great prize!"
"Yes. Give it all you've got, my granddaughter...!"
"Good luck, Ange-san. I am rooting for you."
"There must be others waiting for you. Perhaps you ought to search for the next challenge."
"Okay! Thank you. I'll try even harder now...!"

We dashed away. There are still many people waiting to give me puzzles. I have tons of chances to get medals. Okay, who should I challenge next...?!

After Ange and Eva left, Battler, who had been watching their progress, came over.

BGM: Novellette

"Oh, Battler. I am not certain, but she does seem to be enjoying herself."
"I heard your puzzle, Genji-san. Even I was almost taken in back there."
"You honor me."
"Still, it's not quite what I'd have expected. Who'd have thought that you'd give a trick question like that? I figured you'd make a straightforward, simple puzzle."
"Hahahahahahaha. You might expect such a thing from him, silent as he is, but he is much more of a schemer than he appears."
"Very true. If you play a chess match against him, you'll see that right away."
"He even fools me, from time to time. He'll trick me right to my face, with that stern, serious expression of his. He has always been like that. And yet, despite the numerous occasions on which he has fooled me in the past, I keep on getting tricked. Wahhahhahahahahahaha."
"Come to think of it, what sort of relationship do you and Genji-san have?"

For just an instant, Kinzo glanced at Genji's face. Apparently, he didn't plan on touching on this subject if Genji had any objections. However, Genji spoke as though the matter was no longer a secret.

"Wahaha, 'knew me', he says...! We were partners in crime, you might say! The two of us were both prodigal sons of rich families. A pair of ruffians who caused their parents nothing but trouble."
"Genji-san, a prodigal son...? That's a surprise... So, Genji-san also moved to Taiwan, where he met Grandfather?"
"...No. I am a native of Taiwan."
"Genji-san was born in Taiwan. Well, since Taiwan was under Japanese rule before the war, he is still Japanese, of course."
"He was a man who hated losing. When we first met, we fought all the time. Once we hit it off, we became the best of friends."
"...There was a lot of disorder and conflict after the war. The Master is the one who saved me during that chaotic period. If I spent the rest of my life trying to repay that debt, it would not be enough to pay it back in full."
"...Don't say that, my friend. If only I had been a little more persuasive, I might have saved your family as well... I was too cowardly to save anyone but you..."

Kinzo, predicting this chaos before it happened, worked out a way for Genji and his family to escape. However, Genji's family possessed great wealth in Taiwan. They were unable to abandon it, and they decided to remain there. This wealth had been built up thanks to their close relationship with the Japanese-run government of Taiwan. The new regime after the war wasn't likely to welcome them with open arms. Much mayhem and confusion followed. And Genji was the only one who escaped harm.

...I don't know what happened to make this man, who Kinzo has called a troublesome prodigal son, change so drastically to become the person he is today. It was a story of friendship between the two of them, and there could be hardly any point in an unrelated person sifting through history books to interpret it however they pleased. They had been good friends since long ago, and they owed each other their lives. Though the troubled times had tossed them about, their friendship held firm for decades... Genji's role was now that of the butler, but when they are alone in the study, they sometimes share a drink and reminisce about the days of their youth. And they're still that way today.

Leaving Kinzo and Genji to reminisce, Battler walked off on his own. It would be rude to ask for any more detail, and he didn't need to know. Kinzo and Genji had been friends since long, long ago. That was something he already knew.

BGM: Stuffed Toy

"Yeah. Let's beat them!"
"Hahahaha. Very well, we'll play along."
"The two of us have prepared some formidable puzzles for you."
"Should I go first? Or you?"
"I will start."
"Very well."

"Huh? White black white black... huh??"
"I'll say it once more. White black white black white ???? black white black white black white. What does the '????' stand for?"

This is... a really hard one. White black white black white ? black white black white black white. Is it... gray?? Is it that easy...?

"Th, this is a surprisingly hard one, coming from you, Natsuhi nee-san..."

Aunt Eva was groaning. Apparently, this one's really hard.

"I, is it really so hard...?"
"...There's a chance that some people won't understand, if they haven't had the right experiences."
"Eva-san aside, I think Ange-chan would have seen it a lot at school and kindergarten..."
"Wh, what the heck? I don't have a clue!!"

Is it a problem that I could get easier than Aunt Eva...? It's hard.

Eva's Hint

White
Black
Red
Grey
Empty Space

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 7, 2018

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
A - white: it's the keys on a piano, our blank is the (white) F.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

A - White - Together in perfect harmony/Oh, Lord, why can't we?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I feel like there's some other trick I'm missing, but I'll say: B. black. The second half is just the first half in reverse.

e: ^ That never would have occurred to me, but that makes more sense. Gotta go with A. white, then!

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.
Yep, everyone's correct; it's the keys on a piano. Not sure I would have gotten it without Krauss and Natsuhi's comments about not getting it without the right experience, though... and if it hadn't started at C, for that matter. A. White

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm the type of person who would have needed hints. :pwn:

Edit: I can see why it's theorized that Genji has an unrequited love for Kinzo. Rescuing and eloping together in a dangerous war-time situation seems like a romantic plotline.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 11, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Did they have pianos in y'all's kindergartens? :confused:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Phew, something I got pretty fast! I have trouble with misdirection sometimes, especially when it comes to math (because my mind is nervous about numbers, and thus runs through all them first to get them out of the way, so these last few I had to think about some. But fiddling around on the old piano and driving my teacher to distraction with my fascination with fifths gives me a good head start here. (It's A: White)

So Genji really did used to be a genuine peer of Kinzo... and Kinzo seems like he always remembered that relationship. I suppose there's still a part of me that's still surprised to know that Kinzo cared about anything at all besides his beatorichii, but to his credit, he was always portrayed as being genuine bros with Genji when he was alone... but given that Grandpa was dead at the time, I wonder if that was really Kinzo or the image that Genji personally wants to remember. I suppose either answer is correct, as Genji doesn't seem like someone prone to much self deception, but it does drive home the fact: we never knew Kinzo, did we? He is only remembered through the memories and accounts of others, who in turn might only be the assemblages of known facts and Ange's half-forgotten childhood memories. All that survives Ushiromiya is the affects and the accounts of his deeds... one of which is truly heinous, and taints everything else like a drop of blood in a glass of water.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Doc Hawkins posted:

Did they have pianos in y'all's kindergartens? :confused:

Yeah, of course. There was quite a lot of singing in kindergartens and preschool.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

Confused Llama posted:

Yep, everyone's correct; it's the keys on a piano. Not sure I would have gotten it without Krauss and Natsuhi's comments about not getting it without the right experience, though... and if it hadn't started at C, for that matter. A. White

Huh I never would have thought about that. i guess A. White is right.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.
Man, I learned piano as a kid and I still didn't make this connection. Gonna place my vote with A too.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Yeah, ok, A. White it is. Would've missed that one on my own, I'm more about words then music so I was looking for the palindrome. The arrangement of that flag graphic sure is the opposite of helpful, too.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I have never played the piano, despite my background as a percussionist.

A - White because I do remember the layout of the sharps/flats, piano or no.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I never would have got this. At least they acknowledge it's unfair up front. :colbert:

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
This definitely explains why Genji's Kinzo (in episode 1) was so completely different.

Is the "Ask Aunt Eva" button unavailable, as it appears? I do find it interesting that Eva seems completely stumped by this, given "piano lessons" was something that came up regarding George in Self-Reliance II.

The puzzle's also interestingly deceptive in how it stops at B at the end. Even though it's completely unnecessary, I'll put my vote on A - White as well.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
There's an in-game hint for this one, but the hint comes more from Natsuhi than from Eva.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I only studied a little singing, so this answer probably would've remained beyond me.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

"Ah, is that it?! It's a keyboard?!"

Something that can be found in kindergartens and schools, which is covered with a line of white and black things. It's an instrument. Like a keyboard on a piano or a melodica.

"The first two black keys are between 'do', 're', and 'mi'. The set of three black keys are between 'fa', 'so', 'la', and 'ti'..."
"It started 'white black white black white ? black', so... the three white ones are 'do', 're', and 'mi'..."
"There is no black key between 'mi' and 'fa'. So, 'fa' comes right after 'mi'!"
"And since the question mark comes after 'mi', the right answer is 'fa'. In other words-"

"Correct. I thought it might have been a bit too hard, but you did well."
"Splendidly done, you two. Go ahead, Natsuhi."
"Congratulations, Ange-chan. Here's my medal for you."
"Alright! Aunt Eva, I got another one!"
"Things are moving along nicely. Next up is Nii-san's puzzle. Let's solve it in a flash and teach him a lesson, okay?"

BGM: Endless Nine

"Stop it, Aunt Eva! Don't provoke him! You'll make the puzzle harder!"
"Heheheheheheh. If there's anyone you have to blame, it's Eva! Now take this brain-twister! Here's a puzzle about the tenants of a skyscraper I've invested in."

Eva's Hint

"1"
"2"
"3"
"4"

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 7, 2018

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I'm completely stumped on this one. I've considered number of syllables, number of consonants or vowels or all letters, number of times letters are re-used in a name; none of that seems to work. I can't figure out anything to do with the initials or anything like that. The first word of each do all contain "mura," though, if that helps to spark any ideas for anyone else. That's all that stands out to me at the moment.

e: Is it 4 because it's --th? :colbert: D. "4" drat misdirection.

Telum fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 12, 2017

Sunsetaware
Jun 2, 2012

D. "4" because it's the only one that can have -th attached.

edit: beaten

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
... And I'm back in the land of the know-nothings. To clarify, Japanese is still not needed to solve this, yes?

Because I have the feeling this is a pattern puzzle, but... I'm not seeing the pattern. If it's a kind of relationship between Oka-, Iwa, Ta, and Mura, or any kind of relationship between O-I-T-M, then :confused:

If it's the number of letters in the names, there's too many letters, and I can't see any palindromes or anagrams...

Is it seriously as simple as that? drat it, I was taken in again... it's d - 4.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 12, 2017

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
lol you guys

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
D. 4!

edit: just saw everybody's posts. :lol: just blame Eva! It's funny to imagine how someone would vocalize "_th" in English. Blankth?

It's funny because in Japanese the counting word for "floor" doesn't really vary: it's just "kai." Ikkai (1), nikai (2), sankai (3), yonkai (4), gokai (5). I'm curious about how the Japanese version of this one goes.

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 12, 2017

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

witchcore ricepunk posted:

D. 4!

edit: just saw everybody's posts. :lol: just blame Eva! It's funny to imagine how someone would vocalize "_th" in English. Blankth?

It's funny because in Japanese the counting word for "floor" doesn't really vary: it's just "kai." Ikkai (1), nikai (2), sankai (3), yonkai (4), gokai (5). I'm curious about how the Japanese version of this one goes.

huh im going with D:4 as well.

though i do wonder if that was the way to get the answer.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Can we stop for a moment to appreciate that Krauss deployed Endless Nine for a loving child's riddle?

But yeah, D. 4th is the only option that actually makes proper English. Assuming the translators didn't screw the pooch again.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.
Ha! I'd had that thought and then dismissed it out of hand and went searching for some pattern in the numbers of syllables. If this is the answer, though, that's actually pretty clever. D. 4

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Because I can't come up with anything better at the moment, I'll go with D. 4

Dark Dreams Don't Die

The Mighty Ducks 4

I got nothing else.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

bman in 2288 posted:

Because I can't come up with anything better at the moment, I'll go with D. 4

Dark Dreams Don't Die

The Mighty Ducks 4

I got nothing else.
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I can't spot any pattern that might remotely fit as an alternate answer, so I guess I'll go with D. 4 as well.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Typically, when vocalized, it would be the nth floor, so you couldn't take any direction from that hint. If n was 3, you wouldn't call it the n-rd floor.

As for counting the number of syllables, "Iwamura Realty Co. Ltd." screws that up for me. "Realty" is one of those words where it's tough to count the number of syllables. If you call it two syllables, then Iwamura and Tamura both fit "Number of syllables before Co. Ltd." Since Co. Ltd. are the same between all of them they don't really fix the math (regardless of whether you expanded them to Company Limited or anything else).

If you call it three, then Okamura and Iwamura both fit (n-1)th floor,

So, yeah, D.4 because it's the only hint, as silly as it is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder how this was written in Japanese, since the "--th" aspect wouldn't work the same.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

lotus circle posted:

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.

Thank you.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Endless Nine

"Mu..."
"Well done, you got it...! From floor one to floor four, there's only one floor that ends in 'th'...the 4th floor."
"Yeah! The 4th floor fits, but the other ones are the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floors."
"N, nicely done... And even I didn't figure it out until I had the answer given to me..."

Apparently, Uncle Krauss once had this puzzle shown to him, and he wasn't able to answer it right. He looked a bit downcast to see a kid like me solve it. For some reason, he looked even more mortified to see that Eva had solved it. How strange.

"Come on, now. Let's see that medal."
"This medal is a mark of Ange-chan's intelligence. I mustn't let you have it, Eva."
"Heh, sore loser...!"
"Thank you, Uncle Krauss. Am I incredible?!"
"Very much so. You're a more flexible thinker than your uncle. I am proud to have you as a niece."

Krauss's riddle in Japanese:

The gist of the puzzle is the same, but instead of "_th" being the clue, the word for "what floor" used at the end of the question is "nan gai". The words for each of the answers provided:

A: 1st Floor / ikkai
B: 3rd Floor / sangai
C: 5th floor / gokai
D: 7th floor / nanakai
E: 9th floor / kyuukai

...and only sangai ends in -gai, so the answer is that it's on the third floor.

BGM: Novellette

"I do hope you enjoyed them."
"I did! Thank you, Aunt Natsuhi and Uncle Krauss!"
"I hope you can enjoy all the tricky questions, without worrying about your medal count too much."
"We all hope that this becomes a wonderful night, just for you."
"We really are enjoying ourselves."
"Yeah! We're having a lot of fun!"

Krauss and Natsuhi smiled at them as they dashed away.

BGM: White Shadow

"We did the best we could, but I'm not sure how much they enjoyed them."

On the other side of the room, Ange and Eva were counting the medals they had gathered so far. Ange and Eva. Such an unexpected pairing, but they looked like they were having a great time.

"...A future parent and child, unrelated by blood. Watching them like this, they look just like a normal parent and child."
"Yes, they do. Bonds between people are nurtured by the heart. Ties of blood do not bond as strongly."

After saying this, Natsuhi bit back her own words and stared at the floor.

"What's wrong?"
"...I was just... surprised that I would dare to say such words..."
"...You don't need to worry about me."

"I understand how you felt. Unable to become pregnant, you were forced to feel shame for many years. In that situation, any woman would be shocked if they were handed a baby whose parentage they didn't even know, and then told to adopt them."
"...That was no reason... for me to push you off a cliff..."
"True. You will have to carry that cross for the rest of your life."
"...Yes. I am prepared to do so..."
"In that case, the suffering you must endure will come from the cross you bear. Not from me."
"You don't... despise me...?"
"Don't make that dejected face. No, perhaps it's the other way around. As long as you continue making that dejected face, I will feel no desire to punish you. As long as you continue to carry that cross, I will feel no desire to hate you."
"Do you mean... that you don't hate me...?"
"To tell the truth, I did hate you. I hated your guts. I hated you so much, I wanted to hang up a pillow with your picture on it and use it as a punching bag!"
"But, as I watched you, that feeling faded away. You regretted and lamented. And I'm sure you'll never forget that feeling for as long as you live."
"How could I forget...? After all, I'm a murderer..."
"Your cross is a heavy one, doubtless. I can feel compassion for you now. I'm serious. After all, Kinzo was the one at fault, right? It's his fault for having an illegitimate child in the first place! And the way he forced that child on you was even worse! He should at least have been able to avoid hurting you by saying 'please take care of this poor child', instead of 'you can't give birth, so adopt this kid'. Men! That Kinzo...!"
"..."
"Then let's do it this way. Hold out your arms."
"H, huh? L, like this...?"

"...U, umm, th, this is a little..."
"I'll never say this again, so let me say it once. After all, I never had a chance to meet my mother."

Still hugging Natsuhi, Beato spoke in a whisper. She spoke those words that she would certainly never say again...

"Thank you for worrying so much for my sake. But I really don't hate you anymore. Please, believe that, Mother."
"...B, Beatrice..."

"What about those two?"
"Shannon-chan and Kanon-kun? Sure, it looks like they'll put up a good fight."
"Do you need something, Eva-sama and Ange-sama?"
"...Don't be stupid, Nee-san. They're asking us for puzzles."
"Ah, m, my apologies."

Shannon was as absentminded as ever. However, Kanon looked extremely calm, and would probably have a well-polished puzzle ready.

"Ummm, uhhh..."
"...*sigh*. Okay, I'll go first. While Nee-san thinks up a puzzle."
"O, okay. Sorry..."
"So, if I'm buying time for Nee-san to think up a puzzle, I'll have to make one tricky enough to keep you stumped for a while."
"Eheheheheh, you've got guts, kid. Let's have it, shall we? Show us the hardest one you've got!"
"Don't provoke him! I want a easy one!"
"Now that I have Eva-sama's permission, allow me to present an insanely difficult puzzle."
"Leave this to me. I'll solve it!"

Eva's Hint

30 coins
57 coins
78 coins
91 coins
112 coins

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 7, 2018

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
C. 78

The scores are based on the atomic number of the element.
(spoiler tags for courtesy on rationale in case others want to solve it.)

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 13, 2017

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Kytrarewn posted:

C. 78

The scores are based on the atomic number of the element.

:doh: I'm a chemist, how did I not....

C. 78

I was trying to do poo poo like using prime factorization to extrapolate a pattern from the differences between the prizes, or sum everything and try to see if any of those stood out. Copper, silver, and gold are all prime numbers, even, but none of the choices were (though that would have been a wonderfully misleading choice if he'd included one or two primes larger than 79.)

Ah, well. Good job Kytrarewn!

e: As an aside, Prof, thanks for doing this section this way, it's really fun.

e2: spoiler'd out stuff for the same reason

Telum fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 13, 2017

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

C. 78

It helps if silver is one of the few atomic numbers that I actually can recognize on sight.

That's not very nice though, Kanon.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
C. 78, for reasons already stated in spoilers.

It's kind of similar to Natsuhi's puzzle, in a way.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Zack Ater posted:

e: As an aside, Prof, thanks for doing this section this way, it's really fun.

I'm glad! For the people who are less into the riddle-solving, I know this is slowing things down, but if we sped it up that would just make me more likely to need a hiatus later anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Cyouni posted:

C. 78

It helps if silver is one of the few atomic numbers that I actually can recognize on sight.

That's not very nice though, Kanon.

Yeah, this is pretty easy for us with the internet and all, but for a small child operating from mostly their own knowledge this one is kinda tricksy.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 13, 2017

• Locked thread