Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010
RG is the best book. i believe Stormy said it best - Malazan marines getting back to what they were supposed to be doing. going in low and slicing fools up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
when was Stormy adjunct to Crust? When GofM start i believe were 106 years into the empire, and then 7-10 years into Laseen's rule. Do you think we'll get to see this in the prequel books - Path to Ascendancy and on?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I consider myself a connoisseur of fantasy swears, and ICE just isn't up to scratch. "Poliel-damned" or "Queen drat you" feel so artificial and hard to say, don't have anywhere near the punch of "Hood's breath!".

Also "drat it all to Trake" doesn't make sense with how any of the characters talk or think about the afterlife.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's no Togg's tits that's for sure. I really liked the bit where Toc explains to some Awl folk how the best Malazan curses are contradictions.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The Kharkanas books are good but should not be taken too seriously. After all, the framing for them is UltraBard re-telling & re-inventing the past as HE was told it into a narrative for a audience that may be/ may not be/is definitely drunk off their asses.

At best, it's like Homer telling the story of Troy's siege and death. At worse, it's the Stephen King narrated audiobooks of the Gunslinger series.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 6, 2017

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I found Night of Knives to be really bad. In places it was so incoherent that I couldn't tell what was going on.

(I mean incoherent in a "what characters are standing here in this scene and what are they doing? Who said that line?" way, not a "which 300K year old undead dragon god is moonlighting as a shape-shifting mule?" way).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Clark Nova posted:

I found Night of Knives to be really bad. In places it was so incoherent that I couldn't tell what was going on.

Easily the worst of the ICE books by a considerable margin. "Really bad" is probably generous. "Incoherent" strikes closer to the truth. There isn't a Malazan book beside it that I've red fewer than three times, but I've never had the urge to go back to NoK for a second go-around

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010
Dancers Lament is a big step forward. easily the best of the ICE for me. and more importantly I want that story of earlier Dancer and Shadowthrone

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

The Kharkanas books are good but should not be taken too seriously.

Counterpoint, the Kharkanas books are the best and should be taken super seriously if only because of the little bits like the Ilfayen, Bole reveals.

And Grizzin "Broken Condom" Farl.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

turboraton posted:

Counterpoint, the Kharkanas books are the best and should be taken super seriously if only...

No idea how you do it, but I'm impressed by your ability to eek out reading Malazan books. I finished Fall of Light in a day, and don't regret reading it that fast.
The one worry I have: Erikson decides to troll everyone and exclusively focuses on his Star Trek "comedy" series, licensing the Malazan series to Kevin J Anderson & Brian Herbert.
shuddder.

The last "new 2 me" Malazan book I read was Night of Knives, directly after finishing Fall of Light.
Reading Knives after everything else made it not-suck, things that ICE tried to infer in his first novel really only got explained in the later Malazan books.
Fall of Light helped make the Azath house fight in Knives make sense..

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

The one worry I have: Erikson decides to troll everyone and exclusively focuses on his Star Trek "comedy" series,

I thought his comedy series was that terrible Necromancer gaybromance poo poo.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

Nah different Erikson "comedy" series.
The Erikson "comedy" series you're talking about is pretty much Benny_Hill_episode_credits_chase_scenes.txt, only everyone is dressed up like SCA re-enactors & evil.

The other Erikson "comedy" series is about a impulsive devil-may-care starship captain & his wacky wacky starship crew doing things in space.

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010
its a pretty terrible series.. it feels YA too

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

No idea how you do it,

It's because I enjoy reading books and I enjoy reading good books even more. The worldbuilding abilities of Erikson are top tier, that loving Ilfayen part. The whole part of this prequel is to known the story about the ancient times and the mythology of the Malazan world.

Turns out they are just as petty as current Malazan but still interesting enough to make you care about their deeds. I just love this saga way too much.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Spermy Smurf posted:

I'll go in to bat for Crack'd Pot Trail any day of the week.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

dishwasherlove posted:

I'll go in to bat for Crack'd Pot Trail any day of the week.

That's the most gratuitous apostrophe of them all.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

turboraton posted:

It's because I enjoy reading books and I enjoy reading good books even more. The worldbuilding abilities of Erikson are top tier.

If you enjoy Erikson, you need to read M John Harrison. Harrison managed to retroactively wreck authors I was previously in platonic love with on his first book(Committed Men).
Harrison's Viriconium saga is the closest I've seen to what Erickson has done with the Malazan series, and Harrison did it all solo 20+ years before Gardens of the Moon came out.

Another really strong author is Iain M Banks, his scifi books are amazing. Avoid Banks non-scifi fiction, for it is extremely dated & dumb.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Uh the Wasp Factory is amazing and not dated in any way.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I read Wasp Factory after the Quarry, so Wasp Factory felt like a dumber retread story even though it came first.
Bank's normal fiction has the weird case of the publisher plot summaries being wildly more interesting than the actual books, at least for me.
As I said before though, Bank's scifi stuff is pretty amazing.

Back to Malazan chat:
Anyone else wish there was a Malazan map atlas collection?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

I read Wasp Factory after the Quarry, so Wasp Factory felt like a dumber retread story even though it came first.
Bank's normal fiction has the weird case of the publisher plot summaries being wildly more interesting than the actual books, at least for me.
As I said before though, Bank's scifi stuff is pretty amazing.

Back to Malazan chat:
Anyone else wish there was a Malazan map atlas collection?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I would pay good money for a Malazan atlas. And also a well presented artbook.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Thanks turboraton on the map mockup.
Hmmm, what continent was originally the Imperial warren/Kallor's murdered empire?

cptn_dr posted:

I would pay good money for a Malazan atlas. And also a well presented artbook.

I agree with the Atlas idea, not sure about the artbook idea.
Begun have the holy wars on the correct mapping projection scheme?
Really think the crazy Buckminister Fuller map projection scheme would work best for the Warrens mapping.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I imagine there will be maps in the oft mentioned, forever delayed Encyclopaedia Malazan.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Encyclopaedia Malazan? That's a myth man.
Only good friend Kruppe could write such a volume, and good friend Kruppe just discovered the Warren of Lital De'bie*.
If Encyclopaedia Malazan does come out I hope it's as a bizzare as the Dune Encyclopaedeia.

B&KB stories: Made the obvious connection of why I enjoy them. Confederacy of Dunces is their inspiration.
Confederacy of Dunces is really good.

*that's a Malazan'd rename of Little Debbie, a USA based snackfood company.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

A concrete, objective encyclopedia would be decidedly un-Malazan.

Instead there should be three conflicting ones, that, even once you unpick the distortions and half truths, are still irreconcilable.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
I never liked the various maps presented for the Malazan world, they just don't jibe with what the characters in the books themselves appear to know, or not know, more to the point.

For example there will be some badass continent that is only spoken about in rumour, then you see a map and apparently its just off the coast of Genabackis, closer to there than Seven Cities or Quon Tali are. Theres loads of traffic between those continents but nobody knows anything about the other continent that is sitting right there? Nah.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

bucketybuck posted:

I never liked the various maps presented for the Malazan world, they just don't jibe with what the characters in the books themselves appear to know, or not know, more to the point.

For example there will be some badass continent that is only spoken about in rumour, then you see a map and apparently its just off the coast of Genabackis, closer to there than Seven Cities or Quon Tali are. Theres loads of traffic between those continents but nobody knows anything about the other continent that is sitting right there? Nah.

Nobody goes there because everyone knows it's dangerous.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

bucketybuck posted:

Ynglaur posted:

Nobody goes there because everyone knows it's dangerous.

Easy, everyone heard that Icarium lives there, and stays away like the continent is H--ds balls.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Isn't there a magic icy hell sea between Assail and everywhere else?

Edit: I guess that's kind of an Assail spoiler.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 12, 2017

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010
Shal-Morzinn has some big name spookyness in the books. Its mentioned a few times. I think Dancer and the Emperor left it alone thinking that they wouldnt win.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

BraveJoe posted:

Shal-Morzinn has some big name spookyness in the books. Its mentioned a few times. I think Dancer and the Emperor left it alone thinking that they wouldnt win.

That's the island kingdom ruled by sorceror-kings or something? IIRC even the Perish were all, "Yeah, we try not to gently caress with them."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
On the other hand, look at the reputation Assail has and there's gently caress all there.

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

On the other hand, look at the reputation Assail has and there's gently caress all there.

the continent of Assail is ruled by an elder god - Ardetta and the people with the thermatic blood magic golems (cant remember their name). that some pretty big players.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wrong continent, wrong book.
That says something about the memorability of Assail as well.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 13, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I've not got that far - is Assail full of Forkrul Assail?

Because it would be weird to have a continent named after a species most people have never heard of.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I've not got that far - is Assail full of Forkrul Assail?

Because it would be weird to have a continent named after a species most people have never heard of.

Assail the book spoiler Yes, there is an entire mountain full of them.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Guyver posted:

Assail the book spoiler Yes, there is an entire mountain full of them.

and they stay up on their mountain not loving with anyone. The actual danger in Assail is mostly just stabby tribesmen.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

and they stay up on their mountain not loving with anyone. The actual danger in Assail is mostly just stabby tribesmen.

Stabby tribesmen with Jaghut blood.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Every continent in the whole setting had some weird mysterious power holding sway over it apart from maybe Genabackis. It's kind of dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's probably hard to hold sway over a continent whose main factions are armored flying bug riders with incendiary munitions, super human masked samurai and a cabal of demon sorcerers. And Kruppe.