Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I don't buy Padme being into Anakin. I just don't buy it, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Schneider Heim posted:

The Phantom Menace is better than the other prequels because Anakin was a cute sassy kid instead of some creepy teen. The romance subplot in Attack of the Clones was cringeworthy.

I love when people invent arbitrary prequel-specific rules, like ‘creepy teens have no place in cinema’.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I love when people invent arbitrary prequel-specific rules, like ‘creepy teens have no place in cinema’.

No but Hayden Christiansen was an awful actor which made the creepy teen worse

quote:

I don't buy Padme being into Anakin. I just don't buy it, sorry.
Exactly!! My GF kept saying "I can't believe they are into each other!"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Brother Entropy posted:

it's boring because it's rushed, it's far more interested in speeding along to the next epic setpiece or OT callback than slowing down to provide a larger context for why anything is happening or characterizing any of its new cast(except kylo ren)

As I think someone else hinted at, the fist 15 minutes we spend with Rey basically just going through her daily routine is easily the strongest stretch in the movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Schneider Heim posted:

I think Hayden Christensen portrays a creepy, insecure, melodramatic teen quite well. In fact he did it so well it effectively ended his career

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Schneider Heim posted:

Yeah we’ve seen this song & dance before. You say teens are bad, then, no, the acting is bad. We ask you to explain what’s wrong with the acting and then you say, well, the script is bad. And so-on.

You may as well skip to the “it’s just bad, ok?!” part.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

General Dog posted:

As I think someone else hinted at, the fist 15 minutes we spend with Rey basically just going through her daily routine is easily the strongest stretch in the movie.

It’s by far my favorite part of the movie, and one of the few parts that shows us something truly new. More than anything else she does or says, those quiet contemplative scenes make Rey likable to me.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

General Dog posted:

I think Hayden Christensen portrays a creepy, insecure, melodramatic teen quite well. In fact he did it so well it effectively ended his career

By this (flawed) logic, the role of Hannibal Lector (a creepy character!) should have ended Anthony Hopkins' career after The Silence of the Lambs.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Yeah we’ve seen this song & dance before. You say teens are bad, then, no, the acting is bad. We ask you to explain what’s wrong with the acting and then you say, well, the script is bad. And so-on.

You may as well skip to the “it’s just bad, ok?!” part.

Can you tell us what is good about the romance subplot of AotC

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love the scene in the crashed Star Destroyer, which reminded me a lot of the wrecked ship at the end of the Valerian comic Empire of a Thousand Planets.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Wandle Cax posted:

I like how Anakin thinks he's the gallant knight in some sort of chivalrous courtly romance story, but people shoot him down at every turn, so he acts all miffed about it. Padmé says he'll always be a little boy and Obi-Wan is all but rolling his eyes at what an idiot Anakin is around her at the first meeting. When they go to Naboo, he tries to take charge and be manly in front of the Queen, but Padmé immediately emasculates him. He's constantly denied validation and it's kind of funny. Although Padmé finally gives in to the urges they’re both obviously feeling, it’s only in a moment of mortal peril, coming right after Anakin has utterly failed to save the day.

But it's fine, because then he finally does get to tame his horny bull and ride it into her pussy!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Wandle Cax posted:

lol

Me and my GF watched the movies recently (I recommended that we skip the prequels but she's a huge fan of Ewan McGregor, so there's that) and we thought that TPM was pretty decent. She liked it well enough (kid Anakin was her favorite, and gushed over Amidala's clothes), but when we got to AotC, we found teen Anakin super-pushy towards Amidala and their scenes were very uncomfortable to watch. We felt that if they trimmed that down and made Anakin less rapey (he was really coming on to her) the rest of the movie would have been better, because it didn't feel like it had a proper ending and more of a jumping point to The Clone Wars. I mean I like Anakin as a padawan (I read through the recent Obi-wan & Anakin comic at lunch and it was pretty good), but yeech.

RotS was okay, though. Overall she liked the prequels more than I thought she would (she called the whole thing "Obi-wan Deserved Better: The Trilogy"), and I didn't feel like my time was wasted (unlike, say Peter Jackson's The Hobbit). But really my takeaway is that TPM doesn't deserve most of the poo poo fans throw at it. It was pretty fun even if the movie's plot didn't matter in the long run, and Amidala's queen getup, man.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

General Dog posted:

I don't particularly like Rey as a character (or Poe or Finn, for that matter, they all feel very thin) but, yeah, I do think that's one of the parts of TFA that actually stuck with me.

But even so, it's still kind of flat.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

UmOk posted:

I watched it the other day. I wish I had the capability to screen shot stuff as I am watching it because there is so much poo poo in there that just looks fantastic. Every frame in the Naboo capital or whatever looks like a painting.
The Phantom Menace is a pretty picture. It even produced a pretty board game: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/939/star-wars-queens-gambit

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I watched TFA for the second time last night. It's enjoyable, but to be honest I think Rogue One is a better movie. It's certainly better acted and shot.

I kinda disliked Maz's voice. It doesn't really sound like she's doing a 'character', it kinda just feels like a normal persons' voice. It's a really nice speaking voice, but it doesn't really mesh with the design, at least to me. It's hard to not imagine Yoda being dubbed with Frank Oz's normal speaking voice.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Schneider Heim posted:

but when we got to AotC, we found teen Anakin super-pushy towards Amidala and their scenes were very uncomfortable to watch. We felt that if they trimmed that down and made Anakin less rapey (he was really coming on to her) the rest of the movie would have been better

"It's bad that the character is a creep"

"Why?"

"Well the acting is bad"

"Why?"

"Well the character comes off as a creep"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"It's bad that the character is a creep"

"Why?"

"Well the acting is bad"

"Why?"

"Well the character comes off as a creep"

For once, I actually completely agree with you.

I think most of people's problems with the "romance" is a result of two things. Firstly, George's awkward dialog. And it's not awkward in the "two teens who are really bad at talking to one another" way. And secondly, people have certain expectations for how a film romance between the protagonists is supposed to play out...and Anakin and Padme don't follow the script for a happy ending.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

People poop in space but we skip that, where are your tears for space poop?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
The actual issue with AOTC's romance is that Padme only confronts the creepiness once. Aside from that, the audience feels tons of discomfort (fine) but Padme shrugs it off (not fine / bad acting or writing) or is totally back to normal by the next scene, as though Anakin hadn't pushed any boundaries at all so far.

What is missing is the actual pathos of a strong figure who won't surrender when her home planet is occupied, but lets a creepy teen wear her down. It's reasonable to assume she parallels Anakin's journey of being enslaved to her position of regality & the senate from a young age, and has a tough diplomatic exterior but no understanding of her own humanity or personal being. What we get, instead of that, is Natalie Portman phoning it in. Her performance should have been as upsetting as Christensen's in order to tell the real story.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

Firstly, George's

Why are you pretending to be on a first-name basis with Lucas?

e:

Zeris posted:

The actual issue with AOTC's romance is that Padme only confronts the creepiness once. Aside from that, the audience feels tons of discomfort (fine) but Padme shrugs it off (not fine / bad acting or writing) or is totally back to normal by the next scene, as though Anakin hadn't pushed any boundaries at all so far.

"It's bad that the character seems stupid"

"Why is it bad?"

"Because it's bad acting/writing"

"Why is it bad?"

"Because the character seems stupid"

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 13, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

You would think hot creeps never got laid irl

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

viral spiral posted:

By this (flawed) logic, the role of Hannibal Lector (a creepy character!) should have ended Anthony Hopkins' career after The Silence of the Lambs.

Hannibal is cool creepy. Anakin is dork creepy.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

"Why is it bad?"

Hayden Christensen's acting is subjectively bad because it is unbelievable, rigid, and fails to elicit much of an emotional response from me. This is in contrast with Ian McDiarmid and Ewan McGregor who actually both do really well throughout the prequels, in my opinion.

Hell, Natalie Portman is one of my favorite actors and I think she was unbelievable and rigid in the prequels. The two of them - Portman and Christensen - both sound like they don't believe what they're saying and struggle to find a compelling voice for their characters.

As far as the dialogue goes, I think it's often overly plain and uninteresting. Maybe that's why Portman and Christensen struggled to reach me as a viewer, I don't know. On the other hand, I think the overall story told in the prequels is pretty good with a handful of exceptions. And that's "writing", too, in a sense, so what I'm mostly criticising is the dialogue.

Maybe this doesn't satisfy your question as to why the acting is bad. If you like the acting, that's great. I like Star Wars and I think the prequels were disappointing.

Anyway that's my answer.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Padme is damaged goods, too, though. Like literally everyone else in the prequels except Palpatine (who gets his similar moment only at the end of RotJ), she only realizes where her blindness has gotten her once its too late.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Ugh. loving AotC. Why is this treasonous child murderer being all creepy?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I think the problem is that any complaint about the acting could be arguably justified by the thematic content of the films. The Prequels portray a cosmos in the process of fracturing, a broken form matches a broken content. For a forum like CineD that places high value on displaying original thematic critiques simply saying the acting makes you uncomfortable is not enough. I think this is the sort of thing prequel defenders are looking for:

Zeris posted:

The actual issue with AOTC's romance is that Padme only confronts the creepiness once.
Her performance should have been as upsetting as Christensen's in order to tell the real story.

But I think the problem here is not down to Natalie Portman. The fact is Padme is a marginal character circling around what is essentially the male drama of the Prequels, but she doesn't even seem to have substantial observations to make about the men who hold the real agency in the world. Perhaps as a member of the ruling class she will inevitably only notice things too late, in words too prim and decorous: "This is how democracy dies, to thunderous applause" she notes, or "Anakin, you're breaking my heart" she observes.

Like it's fine I think for a film to portray a patriarchal world, but for there to be not even a glimmer of nascent feminism is Undialectical and Bad. Instead she fulfils the role across the films of a vessel into which Anakin can pour his angst. Her role in AOTC is to succumb to Anakin, which I think is disappointingly shallow given the film can be seen to constitute in part a critique of traditional romantic love plots. The blame for that is shared across the film's team though, it's not just on part of Natalie Portman's acting.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

TFA up until they leave Jakku is pretty much as perfect as the first act of a modern Star War could be imo. It might be my favorite first act other than the first one.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

"It's bad that the character seems stupid"

"Why is it bad?"

"Because it's bad acting/writing"

"Why is it bad?"

"Because the character seems stupid"

Do you believe there's such a thing as bad acting / a bad performance?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

TFA up until they leave Jakku is pretty much as perfect as the first act of a modern Star War could be imo. It might be my favorite first act other than the first one.

Episode IV originally had even more "Luke doing Luke stuff" like hanging out with his friends, and I kind of wish that existed in a finished form. It would drag the pace, but further drives home the radicalization point.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm the extremely Chinese trade federation on the donut ship

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

homullus posted:

Episode IV originally had even more "Luke doing Luke stuff" like hanging out with his friends, and I kind of wish that existed in a finished form. It would drag the pace, but further drives home the radicalization point.

All that stuff and more is reproduced in the radio drama, which I recommend to all the top-tier nerds itt. It's good

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

moist turtleneck posted:

There were Chinese people on that ship?

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
im the extremely Jewish little guy trying to swindle people out of credits

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Once it was pointed out that none of the racist caricatures in the prequels are actually racist caricatures, they're just people with accents, I can't unsee how weird the reaction to them is.

No, seriously. People just really hate accents.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Holy gently caress you guys are racist

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Unfetered One posted:

im the extremely Jewish little guy trying to swindle people out of credits

i don't recall any Judaism in star wars

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm every padawan's lovely rat-tail.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Zeris posted:

Well now we’ve got it: the problem has nothing to do with the base concept or the acting or anything else; the problem is that Anakin gets away with it.

Nobody stops him, and so the people in the audience feel this nigh-unbearable tension and frustration because Padme simply tolerates fascism. It’s the ‘don’t go in the basement!!!’ effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

nigh-unbearable tension

lol