Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ElGroucho posted:

Overated

Especially in the army

loving 6 hour range time, plus picking up all the shells? No loving thank you

sorry you got the poo poo detail friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

sneakyfrog posted:

sorry you got the poo poo detail friend.

Yeah, it's called "The Army"

Friends don't let friends join the military

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
HOAs are usually run by a handful of people in the community but all the real work of drafting up the bylaws and mediating with homeowners is handled by a parent company. This company runs HOAs all over the city, usually only meeting with a neighborhood on a quarterly basis, if that. That's where a lot of the HOA fees go, to paying a third-party to pretend to give a poo poo about you and your neighbors. But you can't disband it, because the majority will vote to keep intact for fear of their property values tanking.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Phanatic posted:

If, you know, it's a thing that's actually prohibited in the bylaws of the specific association you joined. They can't just make poo poo up as they go along.
Yes, that is why I put the "generally" there. But in my experience, most bylaws will give the association that power.

Phanatic posted:

And they can't foreclose on your house. They can put a lien on your house.
But an OA can generally foreclose on an OA lien, though there are state by state variations. For instance, in California, there is a certain minimum amount and minimum delinquency period before an HOA can foreclose.

canyoneer posted:

The guy is an an attorney. Not just an attorney, but a notable gazillionaire attorney in the area, owns a lot of things in the area, and has the money and expertise to fight the HOA if they decide to come after him.

HOAs get away with a lot of stuff because they're able to bully people who can't fight back. This guy isn't the type of person the HOA is going to go far with.
Someone with resources can fight anything. It doesn't say much about the merits of their position (note: I have no idea whether his HOA rules actually prevent tanks, or maybe his HOA rules are completely toothless).

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
In the article it says there's nothing against the tank, the HOA just wants to fight him because they don't like it. gently caress it isn't that hard to read.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

I don't know what to tell you and it's got nothing to do with obsession but if you wouldn't hop onto an 88mm anti-tank gun and put a few rounds downrange if you had the opportunity, there's something very wrong with you.

Machine guns are the same. I've fired multiple submachine guns and assault rifles at a rental range, and it's an absolute blast....except for the part where you have to load all 30 rounds by yourself.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

Fun fact: cannons like that are actually perfectly legal and non-restricted in Canada! All you need is to apply for a normal firearms license (the same you would use for almost any other gun) and you can theoretically take it deer hunting.

Explosive ammo is a different story, but there's technically nothing stopping you from loading it with AP ammo and turning Bambi's mom into a fine mist.

How about canister? What's the bag limit for deer there?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

ElGroucho posted:

Are there a lot of scary brown people at the Stampede?

In Calgary? One guy probably got a tan on a vacation to Cuba that one time...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

I believe canister is legal because the only restriction is only explosive shells. So yes, if you have a basic firearms license (and a huge amount of disposable income) you can legally hunt an entire New Brunswick forest with a Flak 88.

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016

Straight White Shark posted:

From hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee!

The paramedics were able to extract the fish. He's a sole survivor.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Every few years, some dickbag tries to start up an HOA and goes door to door to get people on board with it. It's great because here, you can't be forced to join an HOA (unless it was a condition of buying your house, obviously) so even if he managed to incorporate one, there would be non-HOA houses scattered around that they would have no power over, thus rendering it ineffective for the one thing they are theoretically good for.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pesticide20 posted:

In the article it says there's nothing against the tank, the HOA just wants to fight him because they don't like it. gently caress it isn't that hard to read.

I would be shocked if any HOA docs specifically prohibited tanks because that's stupid. But there's likely verbiage about inoperable vehicles, attractive nuisances, etc. For example, a local HOA (not mine) just made someone get rid of their antique firetrucks. They weren't specifically prohibited but they were ruled to be in violation of the docs nonetheless. I'm assuming that tank isn't street legal, so parking it there is probably a straightforward violation of *some* rule.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

In Calgary? One guy probably got a tan on a vacation to Cuba that one time...

It is a great story:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nose-hill-gentlemen-pro-gun-letter-sparks-twitter-frenzy-1.1172624

edit: he's from kalamazoo.

Seldom Posts has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Oct 13, 2017

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Bet you anything that the Michigan police officer is from some rinky-dink town with barely any crime. Two "aggressive" men?! Jesus christ, that's literally just living in a city.

Why do these guys need guns to feel safe? People don't go around cold-clocking randos.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
because they are giant diaper wetting babies

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

"Hey, nice weather we're having, huh?"
/hand slowly reaches for my gun

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

quote:

A police officer from Kalamazoo, Mich., says he felt unsafe while walking with his wife in Calgary's Nose Hill Park. (Dave Ketchup/Flickr)

I choose to believe that this is a picture of Kalamazoo.

Also how much do you want to bet that the two men weren't white?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Bet you anything that the Michigan police officer is from some rinky-dink town with barely any crime. Two "aggressive" men?! Jesus christ, that's literally just living in a city.

Why do these guys need guns to feel safe?

In fairness, that guy was a cop, so he's literally trained to perceive any and all civilians as a threat to his life.

quote:

People don't go around cold-clocking randos.

In Canada? Maybe not. But in the US? Yeah, people do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knockout_game

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Phanatic posted:

In Canada? Maybe not. But in the US? Yeah, people do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knockout_game

You are aware that this is one of the most stdhonthenightlynews.txt things in the world right? This is up there with stories about how Dungeons and Dragons was satanic for most over-inflated bullshit on local news.

I'm not saying that unexpected petty crime doesn't happen, but based on the numbers you're more likely to get hit by a drunk driver than suffer a violent crime at the ends of someone you've never met.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Tip Shades posted:

The paramedics were able to extract the fish. He's a sole survivor.

Thank god they didn't need to get him to a sturgeon

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Stop, drop and roll. Only wait until you are on fire first.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

You are aware that this is one of the most stdhonthenightlynews.txt things in the world right? This is up there with stories about how Dungeons and Dragons was satanic for most over-inflated bullshit on local news.

The notion that there's a popular underground 'game' of going up to randos and cold-cocking them is up there with rainbow parties and jenkum, yes.

The claim that people do not go up to randos and cold-cock them is false. It does happen. This isn't stdh, it most definitely dh.

http://abc7ny.com/news/paterson-teen-pleads-guilty-in-knockout-game-punch-attack/1492487/

quote:

I'm not saying that unexpected petty crime doesn't happen,

But...you did claim that? Like, you specifically claimed that this thing that does happen doesn't happen.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Phanatic posted:

The notion that there's a popular underground 'game' of going up to randos and cold-cocking them is up there with rainbow parties and jenkum, yes.

The claim that people do not go up to randos and cold-cock them is false. It does happen. This isn't stdh, it most definitely dh.

http://abc7ny.com/news/paterson-teen-pleads-guilty-in-knockout-game-punch-attack/1492487/

But...you did claim that? Like, you specifically claimed that this thing that does happen doesn't happen.

Forgive me for not explicitly saying "This is the type of thing that happens in such small numbers in a country of 320 million people that it's nearly statistically insignificant, and certainly isn't the type of thing pussies should be carrying a gun around expecting to happen to them, especially in loving Calgary."

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's not an organised competition, but sometimes people are just dicks.

Sometimes, they're dicks to the wrong person: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUNhNj9Ehf8

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

MisterOblivious posted:

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) -- A Brazilian woman who was shot six times in the head after an altercation with her ex-husband was out of the hospital and talking to the media on Saturday.

"I know this was a miracle," 21-year-old housewife Patricia Goncalves Pereira told Globo TV. "Now I just want to extract the bullets and live my life."

Pereira was shot Friday in the small city of Monte Claros, about 900 kilometers (560 miles) north of Sao Paulo, after quarreling with her former husband, who was reportedly upset because she refused to get back together with him. She was also shot once in the hand.

Doctors could not explain why the .32-caliber bullets did not penetrate Pereira's skull and didn't even need to be extracted immediately.

"I can't explain how something like this happened," surgeon Adriano Teixeira said, adding that the bullets were lodged under the woman's scalp.

Time to inform Mr. Glass we've found her.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inco posted:

Sometimes, they're dicks to the wrong person: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUNhNj9Ehf8

I mean, if you hit some guy/s wife/gf like that, you better be prepared to throw hands.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

DandyLion posted:

Time to inform Mr. Glass we've found her.

:ocelot: eyyyy this guyyyy

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

What is it like, living in constant fear?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ElGroucho posted:

pretty goddamn :patriot: sounding to me todd

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Careful you don't die when a random arsonist sets your enormous strawman on fire.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Phanatic posted:

Bag limits for hunting are set by each province or territory, and can vary with season and region. Wiping out an entire herd in one shot is probably frowned upon, but I don't know the details.

You did remind me of this, though: http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm
An avid hunter & civil war re-enactor combines his passions in Wisconsin.

Mt. Howitzer posted:

A minimum distance of 100 yards is a "must" for reasonable meat recovery.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Inco posted:

I'd forgotten about that one, it's still delightful.

"A punching for you, a punching for you too, and a second punching for you...oh, you're back on your feet? That's another punching." And then the casual walk away at the end. :allears:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

ElGroucho posted:

That's what it is to be a slave

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41613136

A 16-year-old fan's 'lung collapsed' after she screamed too much at a One Direction concert, an emergency doctor told the BBC.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/4zHKtMN.gifv

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Inco posted:

Video should be titled "Happy slap goes gloriously right."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What the gently caress? I don't know what this is but it's awesome.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like some kind of cheerleaders.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, but it sort of looks like they're dancing in front of a football backdrop or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, but it sort of looks like they're dancing in front of a football backdrop or something.

where do you normally see cheerleaders