Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

babypolis posted:

i hated the cats too they wanted wway too many orbs

Look the orbs give you stuff to dress up with and dressing up is the second most important thing in Tales of Berseria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
For reference:

1) Playing cards
2) Dressing up
3) Magilou's Stand-Up Power Hour
4) Why do birds fly

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i just put everyone in pirate outfits, put a bird on laphis head, and called it a day

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I'm looking for a good MMORPG to try out. I would prefer it to have a good PvP system. The only caveat is it needs to be able to run on an i5 laptop, so just a good laptop, nothing special. So low graphics demands.

Any suggestions?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

babypolis posted:

i just put everyone in pirate outfits, put a bird on laphis head, and called it a day

Laphicet is only allowed to wear the cowboy hat.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

chumbler posted:

Laphicet is only allowed to wear the cowboy hat.

i think you will find that having a bird on his head is a central tenet of his character. it being a customization option is a test of character

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Dennis McClaren posted:

I'm looking for a good MMORPG to try out. I would prefer it to have a good PvP system. The only caveat is it needs to be able to run on an i5 laptop, so just a good laptop, nothing special. So low graphics demands.

Any suggestions?

Uncharted Waters Online! Learn anime world history and trade winds while you... something or other. It's not bad, but not good either.

Everywhere outside of Europe is a pvp zone.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

persona 5 has a trip to hawaii where the entire game forgets who's aware of what plot information, and then when you get back to japan you immediately go on a different beach trip and nobody ever mentions that they literally just went on an entire overseas trip to a big beach

persona 5 is definitely a way better game than zesty but in terms of insane inconsistency and obviously rushed writing/feeling like its slapped together from three different games, it gives it a run for its money

Pretty sure you got the order mixed up. The beach trip was meant to be an end-of-summer trip. The Hawaii trip was a class trip, which happens during fall. And I think the writers knew it would be redundant so they didn't really have the characters play on the beach in Hawaii.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

My one complaint about Tales of Berseria and likely all other Tales games is that there's no practice mode where you can figure out which of your combos are actually good and cool outside of combat. Not that the game is that hard, especially if you're controlling Velvet, but dammit I want to set up combos without things dying all the drat time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

My one complaint about Tales of Berseria and likely all other Tales games is that there's no practice mode where you can figure out which of your combos are actually good and cool outside of combat. Not that the game is that hard, especially if you're controlling Velvet, but dammit I want to set up combos without things dying all the drat time.

yeah i 100% agree. i guess the idea is to use the 1 damage skills to do that but that's a realyl clunky way of doing things and im not sure if berseria even has those.

In berseria's case it'd be even easier because slash beat already exists. literally all they'd have to do is make a evrsion of that with no timer and call it 'practice mode' in the minigame menu. done.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hivac posted:

only if you don't like it

So wait, 1930's US-animation is anime now, too?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Libluini posted:

you'll find that it's called americamation

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dennis McClaren posted:

Any suggestions?

EVE Online?

Heartcatch posted:

Uncharted Waters Online! Learn anime world history and trade winds while you... something or other. It's not bad, but not good either.

Everywhere outside of Europe is a pvp zone.

Unless this game has been changed completely since I last played it (5+ years ago?) it is s.l.o.w.a.s.h.e.l.l.

Libluini posted:

It's proto-anime. Old-school Mickey Mouse was a major influence on Astro Boy's design. :eng101:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's proto-anime.

anteme

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unless this game has been changed completely since I last played it (5+ years ago?) it is s.l.o.w.a.s.h.e.l.l.

I've no idea, that was when I last played it too. It's the slowest MMO I've ever tried.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Libluini posted:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Libluini posted:

https://twitter.com/GamingAndPandas/status/918085087350218753

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

babypolis posted:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Okay so I finally got Cyber Sleuth. I'm excited. Time to save the world with the most adorable team of Digimon I can make.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Getsuya posted:

Okay so I finally got Cyber Sleuth. I'm excited. Time to save the world with the most adorable team of Digimon I can make.

Get a trio of PlatinumSukamon as soon as you can. Their XP bonus will save you a ton of work. (Pabumon -> Motimon -> Hagurumon -> Plat)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Really Pants posted:

Get a trio of PlatinumSukamon as soon as you can. Their XP bonus will save you a ton of work. (Pabumon -> Motimon -> Hagurumon -> Plat)

And give them TacticianUSB's. They also give double XP, and they STACK.

Virus-types are well worth taking in general anyway, because a LOT of Bosses are Data-Types.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You don't get any Tactician USBs for a long while, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Really Pants posted:

You don't get any Tactician USBs for a long while, though.

Pretty sure there's one as a reward in one of the early/mid-tier tournaments isn't there?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I picked up Trails in the Sky and it looks pretty fun gameplay-wise, but the vagueness of all the stats really bothers me. Also the fact that I can't see enemy stats, especially speed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Insurrectionist posted:

I picked up Trails in the Sky and it looks pretty fun gameplay-wise, but the vagueness of all the stats really bothers me. Also the fact that I can't see enemy stats, especially speed.
I forget, does the Information quartz not have that info? I know at the very least you get what elements they are weak/strong against which is the most important thing.

What stats are you confused by? Things like Dexterity affect hit chance (which varies in importance game-to-game), Evade covers chance for enemies to hit you, etc. It's all fairly basic JRPG stuff in the end.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I forget, does the Information quartz not have that info? I know at the very least you get what elements they are weak/strong against which is the most important thing.

What stats are you confused by? Things like Dexterity affect hit chance (which varies in importance game-to-game), Evade covers chance for enemies to hit you, etc. It's all fairly basic JRPG stuff in the end.

When I say vagueness I specifically mean lack of numbers. How much accuracy do I have base? How much does it improve if I get one point of Dex over my opponent's Agility? That kind of stuff. Of course, without seeing enemy parameters they're still somewhat useless since you wouldn't have access to the full formula.

As for the information Quartz I just got it and it doesn't seem to have any parameters or their derived stats at all no. No combat-useful info at all it seems since it already shows you elemental affinities by default. Info Quartz gives you drop info, xp and a bio.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
FWIW the bio can be useful for pointing out that a given enemy is immune to or reflects artes/physical, or will self-destruct upon defeat, all of which can be a huge issue the first time you fight them and don't know that ahead of time.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
That could be a nice reason to keep it then, I'm still a little annoyed at having to use an orbment slot to be able to get full info though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The only important thing about Trails stats is how your party members compare to each other. Make sure everybody's got quartz that augment their natural strengths, except for Estelle and Joshua who can be good at whatever you want. Don't mix quartz that counteract each other like Attack and Defense, or Mind and Shield, unless that unlocks arts you really want. Absolutely everybody should have an Action quartz too if possible.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah at least early game, speed seems overwhelmingly important, given things kill you in like 3 hits (on Hard anyway) but you also heal to full with one spell.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Really Pants posted:

Or just play the game

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah at least early game, speed seems overwhelmingly important, given things kill you in like 3 hits (on Hard anyway) but you also heal to full with one spell.
As a little word of warning, it is generally not recommended playing Trails Sky FC on hard as it's considered a slog; t's something that was added afterwards and very clearly was balanced for a NG+ run. I'm sure you'll be able to get through it but there have been enough testimonies about it being kind of unfun after a point.

Not really a problem in the Cold Steel games though, as those games came out later and are much better balanced.

E: God I can't spell/type

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 13, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

corn in the bible posted:

Or just play the game

Having an XP-abusing team is insanely helpful late-game if you want to get the better Digimon without too much hassle. It can take ages de/re-digivolving them a bunch for stats and ABI just to get them ready for DNA-Digivolution.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

As a little word of warning, it is generally not recommending playing Trails Sky FC on slog as it's something that was added afterwards and very clearly was balanced for a NG+ run. I'm sure you'll be able to get through it but there have been enough testimonies about it being kind of unfun after a point.

Not really a problem in the Cold Steel games though, as those games came out later and are much better balanced.

Hard is the middle difficulty so I assume I'm covered, unless they added two bullshit difficulties after the fact which would be pretty funny

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Hard is the middle difficulty so I assume I'm covered, unless they added two bullshit difficulties after the fact which would be pretty funny

You’re not. Hard is for NG+.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Haha really, the difficulty selection didn't make it sound anything like NG+ at all, just for people actually wanting to engage with the combat system properly. I did think the early battles were surprisingly rough damage-wise for the very start of the game but I haven't come across anything remotely road-block like, granted I'm not terribly far in.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Insurrectionist posted:

Haha really, the difficulty selection didn't make it sound anything like NG+ at all, just for people actually wanting to engage with the combat system properly. I did think the early battles were surprisingly rough damage-wise for the very start of the game but I haven't come across anything remotely road-block like, granted I'm not terribly far in.

hard was added in the psp version, and it got backported to the steam release, so the sky games weren't originally balanced for it at all. it doesn't get too rough in fc but it makes things take a lot longer and it'll become a pain in the rear end in sc

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Hard does not actually make Trails hard. It just makes battles take much much longer as your swords are useless and you have to keep going back to town often to recharge magic. It made me hate the game as I've went to before. Change it now. Hard mode for Trails was only bearable in the beginning. It will become such torture later on. (And not because it's difficult, it never is that, just tedious)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Hmm, guess I'll just restart then, thank god for turbo boost. I don't think the combat will be so riveting as to hold my attention if it's a real slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've said it before and I'll say it again until the end of time: never assume Hard is the default difficulty to go to in a video game (especially a JRPG), unless you are well familiar with the game in question or have heard testimony as to how well it is implemented. Some games handle this fine, and some explicitly do not.