Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

My current group not only has a guy playing a Dwarf, he's playing a really strange class that is a melee Sorcerer Dwarf. Dude mostly picked defensive spells and stuff like green flame blame and booming blade and took a splash level in fighter in order to be a sorcerer that just wades into fights hammer-first. It's kind of cool.

However he still plays his character gruff-voiced so you can't avoid that with dwarves it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m playing a dwarf Druid, it’s fun. I don’t do voices.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I do voices for everyone I don't know what's wrong with you guys.

I mean they all sound terrible but that's gonna happen either way.

Serf
May 5, 2011

In my fantasy games when I voice dwarf NPCs I like to give them redneck accents.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

if you aren’t playing your dorf as short Italian-American stereotypes who augment their hand gestures with their beard what are you even doing with your life

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Zikan posted:

if you aren’t playing your dorf as short Italian-American stereotypes who augment their hand gestures with their beard what are you even doing with your life

I've avoided dwarf accents because I can't really do a Scottish accent but I love that idea. Next dwarf is going to sound like Mario. Right now I'm DMing ToA and all my chult merchants/ merchant princes are Indian accents. I figure it's got kind of an India vibe and I'm bad at African accents, which would also be fitting.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Zikan posted:

"Ehhhh, It's-a-me, Dorfio!"

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

It's me, I'm the player who doesn't like playing the short races

I can't help but see them as just...goofy? Gimli in the movies doesn't help that perception either

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Y'all should check out System Mastery 90 when they find out Secret of Zir'an dwarves are called Dolonori.

Also DA dorfs have a kind of Medici era Italian flavor.

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009
Dwarf rogue checkin' in. Expertise in thieve's tools and investigation (+10% find/remove trap, old school).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
suggestions for lowering the fps on webcams to cut bandwidth use? this one would be pointed at a psychical tabletop, the dm is frustrated with roll20

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
There are psychical tabletops now? Gaming technology is advancing so fast!

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mastershakeman posted:

suggestions for lowering the fps on webcams to cut bandwidth use? this one would be pointed at a psychical tabletop, the dm is frustrated with roll20

My group plays in Roll20 but we use Google Hangouts in a separate window for A/V.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What software do you use for streaming? There's usually a suite of options for adjusting the video to suit your purposes. Though if bandwidth is a concern that can only be mitigated so much.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

My group plays in Roll20 but we use Google Hangouts in a separate window for A/V.

that's exactly what we've been doing, but he wants to just abandon roll20 (on his end at least , probably keep it for us to discourage dice shenanigans) and just have another webcam pointing at his table. he just has bad internet and running two Google hangout webcams didn't work the last few times we tried it before going to roll20

basically just needs a camera that updates at 1 frame a second, I wonder if it'd be easier to just have a script upload a compressed picture or something to a server

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Can a warlock use a Rod of the Pact Keeper and Wand of the War Mage at the same time?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
We have a Goliath cleric. That's neat. I'm a boring elf monk.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cassa posted:

Can a warlock use a Rod of the Pact Keeper and Wand of the War Mage at the same time?

RAW, you just have to be holding them to gain the benefit. However I would be hard pressed to allow someone with two magical weapons to let them stack on one attack.

Personally, I would allow the benefits of both but only the +attack bonus of whichever is higher.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Admiral Joeslop posted:

RAW, you just have to be holding them to gain the benefit. However I would be hard pressed to allow someone with two magical weapons to let them stack on one attack.
Tie them together and give all their spells a cool twisty dual coloured effect

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Splicer posted:

Tie them together and give all their spells a cool twisty dual coloured effect

"You took ten levels of Warlock? I'm sorry; go ahead and tie those items together and combine their effects."

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Cassa posted:

I'd say yes if you have War Caster, otherwise you're not going to be able to do the somatic components of spells.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Require proficiency in nunchucks.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Good news! Open broadcaster software actually has a setting where you can just type in whatever fps you want, which is perfect for streaming a high quality HD picture at 1fps. Now I just have to figure out why I can't get it to work with twitch/YouTube gaming and we'll be good to go once lighting and all that is positioned.

Unsurprisingly, the open source software package has about 3 million custom settings vs Google Hangouts with one or two

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Good news! Open broadcaster software actually has a setting where you can just type in whatever fps you want, which is perfect for streaming a high quality HD picture at 1fps. Now I just have to figure out why I can't get it to work with twitch/YouTube gaming and we'll be good to go once lighting and all that is positioned.

Unsurprisingly, the open source software package has about 3 million custom settings vs Google Hangouts with one or two

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Chiming into Dorf chat. In my current game I'm playing an Incan dwarf stone sorcerer who failed out of wizard college for smoking too much weed. It owns.

I also saved the party when they were captured by elvish crusaders by hotboxing the jail.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Chiming into Dorf chat. In my current game I'm playing an Incan dwarf stone sorcerer who failed out of wizard college for smoking too much weed. It owns.

I also saved the party when they were captured by elvish crusaders by hotboxing the jail.

I wanna play at that table.

Incidentally, D&D just isn't the same without the smell of weed. My original group fell apart a few months back, and I've started a new group, but we have to play in non-smoking areas, and it doesn't feel like the full experience without it.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
My current character is a teifling fighter who has been described completely amoral and borderline sociopathic, but he has still done less harm than our CG rogue, who has knowingly unleashed magical plagues and soul-stealing coins because he could. His arguments being, the plague was set loose in the enemy stronghold (which would never spread, I guess?) and the coins were going to a guy who was totally evil because he was trying to bribe us, the heroes.

Even better, I'm the untrustworthy one because I'm true neutral, whereas everyone else is some flavor of good. The other players don't see the irony in this. That aside, we've never had any really bad intraparty conflict until I threatened to kill the rogue for abandoning our allies to get slaughtered by a dragon because he was scared of it and it was in-character.

You might think it's a terrible game, but everyone has fun! DnD is weird.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I really like parties with restrained in-character conflicts like that. My group recently lost a player (he moved) whose PC was a chaotic neutral orc fighter that fought with mine (chaotic good tiefling sorlock) a lot on how to approach problems. They're both prideful, stubborn asses so they played off each other really well which gave the party's bard a chance to act like a mediator or the prankster-god cleric to act like a poo poo stirrer.

It's the kind of group where a character can do something we objectively know as players is a bad idea but hey, it's in character for them to do it and it'll probably be really funny when it blows up in our faces.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah I hate the parties that are too wrapped up in playing the game to beat it instead of having fun roleplaying.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Haggins posted:

Yeah I hate the parties that are too wrapped up in playing the game to beat it instead of having fun roleplaying.

I was part of a dungeon world game where I got sick of casting magic missile every turn as a level 1 wizard so I used my turn to cast prestidigitation and make a huge middle finger

Critted, too

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was part of a dungeon world game where I got sick of casting magic missile every turn as a level 1 wizard so I used my turn to cast prestidigitation and make a huge middle finger

Critted, too

My Sorcerer was once caught in a Zone of Wild Magic and the result was his Fire Bolt turning into a stream of confetti, complete with noisemaker.

The DM allowed me to learn the cantrip "Confetti Bolt" - same effect as Fire Bolt but it does psychic damage instead of fire.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Is it awful for a lore bard to take swift quiver at level 10 I mean 3 ranged attacks is still pretty good. It's no four attacks, but....

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
looks like darksun is confirmed :woop: https://mobile.twitter.com/mikemearls/status/919638124262596608

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Too bad Mearls worked on it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I have no idea how anyone can be excited about this given how "awesome" their Eberron materials for 5e were.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

To be fair, Ask Your GM, gives you everything you need to run a Dark Sun campaign.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Honestly, Mearls and Dark Sun seem to go very well together.

Although his guidance for 5e already is a desolate, hopeless landscape, so I'm not sure what needs to be added

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Zikan posted:

I've always felt dwarps should be sorta hillbilly types

forget dwarven ale, wheel out the dwarven moonshine and forest weed

stay outta that mineshaft, they trade in...harder stuff, over yonder

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 16, 2017

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My current character is a dragonborn monk biologist with a Texan accent who is trying to make up for 24 years of celibacy and never seeing a female by collecting as many Playdrake issues as he can.

He's a red dragonborn so he's obviously called Puce Lee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Is it awful for a lore bard to take swift quiver at level 10 I mean 3 ranged attacks is still pretty good. It's no four attacks, but....

Kinda, yeah. Not much reason to take Swift Quiver over the slightly more damaging and much more versatile Bigby's Hand unless you really want to taunt a Ranger at your table. Swift Quiver's strength comes from getting a lot of damage out of each attack. This generally comes from the Sharpshooter feat, and that along with maxing out dex and multiclassing into the archery fighting style is a bit lower priority for most Bards, particularly those of the Lore persuasion.