Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Picross and golf Story for 22 bucks is a loving steal the switch is going to fail with prices this low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Section 9 posted:

Has anyone played The Flame in the Flood? I've never heard of it before, but it's been out on other systems for a while apparently. Just from the trailer it looks nice, and if that song is indicative of the soundtrack, I'm into that as well. I've liked games like Don't Starve and Crashlands. Is it worth $15? I don't need to have it right now, I have so many other games to finish and Mario coming soon, but it looks like something that would be nice to play in short sessions while traveling and such.

It's not as hardcore as Don't Starve, but certainly in the same genre. You and your dog float down a river stopping at different locations. There's crafting/survival and all of that. Seems like a solid game if you enjoy those types of games.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Internet Kraken posted:

Stop trying to trick me. There's no way all 3 of those designs are from the same loving game.

I think Monolith literally invited artists from other studios to submit some character designs and in turn we get random poo poo like this.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

So the thread a while back told new Stardew players to stockpile some food after you grow it. Why am I doing this? I've just been compulsively putting some of it away each harvest because that's what people said to do.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Jade Mage posted:

So the thread a while back told new Stardew players to stockpile some food after you grow it. Why am I doing this? I've just been compulsively putting some of it away each harvest because that's what people said to do.

For the community center bundles or just to have some in reserve to refill stamina and health I assume

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Stop trying to trick me. There's no way all 3 of those designs are from the same loving game.

all the Blades are done by different character designers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ho ho ho... You'll see. ;-)

I have no idea

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

TFRazorsaw posted:

all the Blades are done by different character designers.

Yeah but like, if they are all in the same setting they should have some common themes that tie them together. All of those characters don't just look like they were done by different designers, they look like they belong in completely different games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Louisgod posted:

I think Monolith literally invited artists from other studios to submit some character designs and in turn we get random poo poo like this.

I really don't have a problem with this. Aside from Pyra they seem to just be collectable pokemon weapons, so there's nothing wrong with just having some dumb fun with one-off character designs that don't impact the story and setting.

The important story-relevant ones certainly should have some consistency, but when you're padding out the ranks anyway... :shrug:.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jade Mage posted:

It's for when it turns into a permadeath survival game later on

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jade Mage posted:

Also for the quests that you’ll get from the board.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They're the personifications of sentient weapons, in general their appearances are gonna be esoteric because like... that's a reflection of their personalities? I dunno. It makes sense in my head.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rolo posted:

I started yesterday and my buddy gave me what seems like good advice:

Do whatever, just don’t do any research.
I got BotW four months ago, and although I haven't had that much time to invest in it, I'm going at an absolute snails pace and still loving it.

I don't think using a guide or reading up on different aspect of it is necessarily a bad thing, but you should explore on your own first. A good compromise is, whenever you go into a new area is to do everything you can on your own first, and then follow up with a guide/map to backtrack to any shrines/quests/whatnot you might've missed. That approach still captures the essence of figuring things out on your own without the nagging feeling that you're missing something (as an example I completely missed the warm doublet before leaving the Great Plateau and only found out by reading a guide for that section afterwards. Plus it's fun to compare notes to figure out how other people solved a puzzle vs. how you did it. I think that's still within the spirit of Zelda as comparing puzzle notes has been an intended part of the gameplay since LoZ.

There's a lot of different mechanics in the game that take some getting used to, like breakable weapons, cooking, how monsters/items respawn, and upgrading hearts/stamina, and in the beginning I think I was too worried about "getting it right" rather than just going through the game. The truth is the game doesn't penalize you much for "screwing up" and you'll eventually figure out your own system, but I still think it's OK to see how others have tackled these mechanics to help figure out what's the best path for you.

As an example, one of the things I knew is that climbing steep peaks is pretty much impossible without stamina upgrades or lots of stamina food, which is one reason why some players recommend focusing on stamina upgrades early, but it seems many peaks in the game have gradual-climb routes if you look closely at the contour lines on the map. Yesterday I was able to scale a peak without any stamina upgrades or food just by finding an optimal route, which was pretty awesome.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
What type of game is this fire emblem game. Any similar games that I may have more knowledge about to compare to?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hyrule Warriors, Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, other things with Warriors in the title.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope you get a Nopon party member or Blade in XC2. Not getting a Nopon party member was a travesty in the last one. I hated that big weirdo L you got instead.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

I hope you get a Nopon party member or Blade in XC2. Not getting a Nopon party member was a travesty in the last one. I hated that big weirdo L you got instead.

You do. His name is Tora and he's the party tank.

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/915477541439266816

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Wait for real? gently caress it I'm preordering this

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Doc V posted:

You do. His name is Tora and he's the party tank.

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/915477541439266816

Oh cool there's the amputee blade in the background

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
L was the worst character in a game full of bad characters. Tora seems... very cool!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I wanted to get hype for FE Warriors but every game play video I surfed on Youtube it seemed like none of the enemies even tried fighting? It was just 7-8 mins of someone blasting NPCs and doing specials.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

^burtle posted:

I wanted to get hype for FE Warriors but every game play video I surfed on Youtube it seemed like none of the enemies even tried fighting? It was just 7-8 mins of someone blasting NPCs and doing specials.

Are you familiar with Warriors games?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Just Dynasty Warriors from like back on the PS2.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

^burtle posted:

No that's correct, that's how these dates work. The enemies, excepting the generals, exist only to damage the environment essentially.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I made the Super Mario Odyssey thread.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

^burtle posted:

That's how Warriors games work, fodder is there purely to power your specials, the challenge is juggling multiple missions under time constraints and taking control of the map.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 13, 2017

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Makes sense, so the real combat gameplay comes more from dueling the generals?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm still pissed the cd they are including with the XC2 special edition is a sample cd and not the full soundtrack... Although unrelated, these anime as gently caress concept arts aren't helping me with thoughts about cancelling that.

Everyone says Xenoblade Chronicles was the most anime game, but as someone who generally doesn't like that style of RPG it did a pretty good job of hiding it from someone like me.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

^burtle posted:

Yes, this is Warriors Games. Trash enemies are basically a gigantic progress bar that you murder the poo poo out of in order to capture bases or trigger enemy generals to appear. The enemy generals are equivalent in power and ability to the player character, and you're supposed to (typically) rush over to them and have a boss fight.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

^burtle posted:

More or less, how fun those fights actually are depends entirely on the specific game. What I like about them is the map control and strategy aspects more than the combat.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I think I’m justified in being upset that the closest we are to playing a classic side scrolling Mario game on the Switch is a remix of the classic arcade game.

Nintendo, this is not okay. I will be contacting my lawyer(s).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah but like, if they are all in the same setting they should have some common themes that tie them together. All of those characters don't just look like they were done by different designers, they look like they belong in completely different games.

I would assume that the actual in game models will be a little more consistent

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I made a stupid post earlier and switched a word to make myself look like a moron. Take two.

Do we know if the Blades have different abilities or they're purely cosmetic? Hoping I don't get stuck with ugly ones that are statistically superior.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

LODGE NORTH posted:

I think I’m justified in being upset that the closest we are to playing a classic side scrolling Mario game on the Switch is a remix of the classic arcade game.

Nintendo, this is not okay. I will be contacting my lawyer(s).

Odyssey will apparently have 2D segments.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

L was the worst character in a game full of bad characters. Tora seems... very cool!

Are you kidding, I wish L had been more involved in the main story rather than either of the mandatory characters we got

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Suaimhneas posted:

Are you kidding, I wish L had been more involved in the main story rather than either of the mandatory characters we got

:same:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

god, i booted up my switch last night and saw that elephant game came out yesterday, i can't keep doing this to myself, who has time for all these fuckin GAMES™???

sorry yono, but i'll have to buy you another time

^burtle posted:

only recent warriors game i played was hyrule warriors but even then the combat with generals isn't super spectacular, they're just more involved with regards to knowing when you can safely bust out a combo on them. the main gameplay for warriors is largely time and map management, tbh.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
XC2 already screwed up by not making Pyra the protagonist and playable character so :shrug:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I just ordered an 18-pack of NFC cards for Breath of the Wild because I saw a Newegg flash deal, what the hell is wrong with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Ragequit posted:

I just ordered an 18-pack of NFC cards for Breath of the Wild because I saw a Newegg flash deal, what the hell is wrong with me.

What the hell wrong with you is that you're a dirty Amiibo thief :colbert:

• Locked thread