Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I don't know anything about bitcoin other than I guess it is digital money that you data mine for or some poo poo and tbh I don't care how it works but how are people so sure it will crash?

Bitcoin is a digital currency that uses a technology called 'block-chain', which is basically a decentralized ledger system that allows people to trade their digital marks to one another without any one authority being in control of the system. Bitcoin has surged in popularity and price because people believe that block-chain technology is useful and will become ubiquitous. The problem is, bitcoin isn't required for block-chain tech to work. Anyone can make their own digital currency, there's already a lot out there. If block-chain tech is ever widely adopted by banks and governments, they will likely develop their own version and basically pull the rug out from under bitcoin.

Here's a poo poo analogy: Imagine you're the inventor of paper currency. Everyone else is still using precious metals and other less convenient forms. You print a bunch of NUKE-NORK bucks thinking 'hey, this is so much better than other methods, surely NUKE-NORKS will skyrocket in value!' However, once other groups start to see the value of paper money, they don't suddenly adopt the NUKE-NORK standard. They just print their own money, which sees greater use due to the confidence of being backed and regulated by governments instead of your dumb rear end.

We'll see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Risky Bisquick posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/man-in-the-netherlands-sold-everything-for-bitcoin-2017-10

A 39-year-old who sold everything he owned in exchange for bitcoin now lives on a campsite waiting for the ultimate cryptoboom

Title relevant as well

He says he will carry on living this way until 2020. I hope his dreams come through except with bitcoin collapsing completely one month before his planned exit. Then his family will know it's been worth living as minimalists.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sokani posted:

Bitcoin has surged in popularity and price because people believe that block-chain technology is useful

I'm pretty sure Bitcoin has surged in popularity because it has a big number attached to it and people hear things like "1000% return per year!!!" and their brain just kinda turns off.

Blockchains are a whole different can of worms though that has basically become so diluted as a buzzword that companies are claiming any kind of database is a "blockchain," or that anything can be improved by adding one (with bizarre results like dentacoin). In reality, the technology has been around much longer than bitcoin in the form of Merkle trees, which do have their uses but which aren't the magical panacea everyone's selling blockchains as.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Not only is Bitcoin not the unique example of its tech, it's also liable to be replaced by better tech at any point. For example, there are competitors that add stuff like real fungibility.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Ralith posted:

fungibility.

Copyrighting this as my Bitcoin replacement. Anthropomorphic mushroom as a logo. Get in on the ground floor, goons.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The trick is to not look at it as a currency and instead look at it as a short term speculative commodity investment.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I see a bright future in sales.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Moneyball posted:

Can't see this going wrong at all.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I often wonder how many times this actually works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earnest_payment

Standard enough for real estate transactions, 1.7% is on the high side but depending on the local market isn't crazy. Obviously he shouldn't send the money without plenty of due diligence and a solid contract, and doing it via escrow would be preferred. Not necessarily a scam though.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 13, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earnest_payment

Standard enough for real estate transactions, 1.7% is on the high side but depending on the local market isn't crazy. Obviously he shouldn't send the money without plenty of due diligence and a solid contract, and doing it via escrow would be preferred. Not necessarily a scam though.

Yeah, mine in Toronto was more than 5%. I didn’t try to negotiate it down, though.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Ralith posted:

Not only is Bitcoin not the unique example of its tech, it's also liable to be replaced by better tech at any point. For example, there are competitors that add stuff like real fungibility.

I always like it when people talk about how some bitcoin derivative has x and y features, as if anyone cares.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Yeah, earnest money is not unusual in the context of signing a contract to buy a house, at least in my experience. This part though

quote:

Today, I received an email stating that one of the next steps would be to deposit 1.7% of the total buying price ( roughly 10k €) in one of the agencies accounts as a sign that we are serious about buying. If we decided not to buy later on, we'd be reimbursed by the same amount.

Makes it sound like they're way short of that point, and possibly they want this deposit to even just physically look at the house? That just feels scammy to me. Normally earnest money doesn't get handed back unless the contract falls through due to something going wrong on the seller's end. (Last time I sold my house I had a signed contract with earnest money and the buyer decided to bail out for ~*reasons*~, so I actually got to keep the earnest money, and then sold it to a different person a week later anyway. :toot:)

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 13, 2017

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Moneyball posted:

Copyrighting this as my Bitcoin replacement. Anthropomorphic mushroom as a logo. Get in on the ground floor, goons.

I will invest in this simply because "fungible" is one of my favorite words.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Weatherman posted:

Autism Kroners.

Dude, not the preferred nomenclature. Dunning-Krugerrands, please.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Harry posted:

I always like it when people talk about how some bitcoin derivative has x and y features, as if anyone cares.
Clearly lots of people care about bitcoin, regardless of whether they're dumb for feeling that way. If a bunch of those people get wooed by the next trendy thing with extra bells and whistles, that'll be that.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Harry posted:

"Fungibility" means actually being able to spend it, so it is kind of the one feature that would push it over the edge to being useful.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

escalator dropdown posted:

What's the exchange rate between those and Pounds Spergling?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

escalator dropdown posted:

Weatherman posted:

The money I've spent on this forum remains one of the most GWM things I've done.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Weatherman posted:

Incredible

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Known Lecher posted:

Yeah, earnest money is not unusual in the context of signing a contract to buy a house, at least in my experience. This part though

Makes it sound like they're way short of that point, and possibly they want this deposit to even just physically look at the house? That just feels scammy to me. Normally earnest money doesn't get handed back unless the contract falls through due to something going wrong on the seller's end. (Last time I sold my house I had a signed contract with earnest money and the buyer decided to bail out for ~*reasons*~, so I actually got to keep the earnest money, and then sold it to a different person a week later anyway. :toot:)

You're right, earnest money comes into play usually after someone has viewed the house and made an offer, or is finalizing the financing for the offer. The biggest red flags to me were the "is French, living in the UK, and owns the home in Germany." Granted, my international real estate experience is very limited (really only a couple of business purchases). That's just too much of a "selling this car, but it's my buddy's, but he bought it from his friend" kinda hood deal to me. If it's going to a title or escrow account, maybe fine, but still.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Weatherman posted:

No, that was buttcoin.org, which is now an asset of the US government :haw:

Well, poo poo. My bad.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

The best cryptocurrencies are:

Coinye, the Kanye West cryptocurrency abandoned after Kanye sued them
Gridcoin, which is the first cryptocurrency to use something called Citizen science which if I understand correctly is technobabble written by non-scientists
PotCoin, the first cryptocurrency to be transparent about its main use
Ripple, which is for debt transfer(?)
Titcoin, the first cryptocurrency to be nominated for an adult industry award
I'm including Dogecoin which was started as an internet meme, for completeness

There are over 900 cryptocurrencies so I'd expect there are other awesome stupid ones out there.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Dogecoin is the one I'm most impressed with. They got advertising on a Nascar race!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Almost every single altcoin is launched by people mad they didn't get in on the bitcoin/ethereum ground floor. The best ones are where they pre-mine a ton before launch and just sit on it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Weatherman posted:

I'm more partial to tech shekels, myself. It's fun to say.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TTerrible posted:

Almost every single altcoin is launched by people mad they didn't get in on the bitcoin/ethereum ground floor. The best ones are where they pre-mine a ton before launch and just sit on it.

That's pretty much all of them

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

TTerrible posted:

So you’ve heard of ethereum then :razz:

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Folly posted:

This kind of thing drives me nuts. Tell me there's some poo poo-end catch on using your VA benefits? Because there is no political philosophy I'm aware of that includes not using not accepting contract benefits you've already purchased and to which you are entitled. I mean, my regular rant is about people who don't claim their unemployment insurance benefit, but I think this is from the same cloth.

If you are not disabled, you get a lower funding fee the first time you buy a home with zero down with a va loan. You can transfer your gi bill benefits to a dependent if you reenlist

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

TTerrible posted:

That's exactly what the creator of Bitcoin did, to be fair.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
At least they were original. New coins are just people rubbing their hands together and mumbling "no, its about smart contracts and a currency rather than a commodity"

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Moneyball posted:

I see a bright future in sales.

Please stop posting in this thread until you've cooled enough to publicly apologize to the woman you insulted and keep probating for pointing out your (probable inadvertent) sexism. It would take twenty seconds and your stubbornness is doing more damage to this thread than she ever did by driving away posters that care about having diversity protected and building an echo chamber.

Nocheez posted:

That's exactly what the creator of Bitcoin did, to be fair.

Weirdly the Btc person hasn't cashed out anything despite having a literal billion or more at current prices (aka ten million if they tried to cash out all at once). I wonder if they lost the private key and is really pissed off about it.

TTerrible posted:

At least they were original. New coins are just people rubbing their hands together and mumbling "no, its about smart contracts and a currency rather than a commodity"

The funniest part is the new hotness isn't even creating new blockchains, it's just building coin extensions on top of Ethereum and/or doing an ico where people pay to pre-order coins that don't exist yet.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

pr0zac posted:

Please stop posting in this thread until you've cooled enough to publicly apologize to the woman you insulted and keep probating for pointing out your (probable inadvertent) sexism. It would take twenty seconds and your stubbornness is doing more damage to this thread than she ever did by driving away posters that care about having diversity protected and building an echo chamber.

Can you move this to a new thread, thanks in advance

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
tipping at a restaurant you don't plan on returning to (traveling etc) - bwm or worst wm?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 13, 2017

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Zo posted:

tipping at a restaurant you don't plan on returning to (traveling etc) - bwm or worst wm?

I think this might start an angrier derail than I did. People are vicious about tipping.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Zo posted:

One day your great, great, great, great, great grandchild will go to that restaurant, and there will be a legend passed down of that rear end in a top hat drifter who stiffed the ancestor of the waiter. Funnily enough, he had the same last name and came from the same town.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
edit: Please don't fuel the fire

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

John Smith posted:

Lol. You idiots don't get to give orders around here. Moneyball does. You may hold an opinion, but you have no means of enforcing your will since you are not a mod. Get real.

pr0zac is right and Moneyball is being an rear end.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Moneyball posted:

I think this might start an angrier derail than I did. People are vicious about tipping.

but at least it's about money, and spending thereof!!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

a messed up horse posted:

Folly
May 26, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

One day your great, great, great, great, great grandchild will go to that restaurant, and there will be a legend passed down of that rear end in a top hat drifter who stiffed the ancestor of the waiter. Funnily enough, he had the same last name and came from the same town.

I mean, I'd probably watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

a messed up horse posted:

I happen to disagree, but I respect your right to hold your opinion.

However, my post was with regards to his ultimatum to Moneyball, attempting to compel him from posting here until Moneyball backs down. Exactly how does he intend to enforce that? pr0zac is clearly an idiot.

1) The only scenario remotely feasible is that numerous posters here spam the thread as a act of civil protest, and the other mods force Moneyball to back down. Given SA's highly decentralised structure, this is highly unlikely.

2) And unlike the real world, mods can easily enforce their will by outright banning such protesters.

3) Lastly, Moneyball can hardly back down now whether he is right or wrong (I think he is right). It would severely weaken his position. Backing down when first challenged can be played off as reconsideration. Backing down to threats after firmly stating refusal, can only be weakness.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 13, 2017