Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Yeah this.
I mean, does people actually hate SMT4? I thought it was pretty good, warts and all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's a good game. not amazing or anything but good

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's a good game. not amazing or anything but good

Basically how I feel too. I know the way the neutral path is handled was a sore point for some people but it worked for me.

Apocalypse is a whole other kettle of fish

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I thought SMT 4 was bad.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Item Getter posted:

We're talking about Persona here not mainline SMT

the guy you're responding to is wrong, but you are much wronger

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
SMT 4/4:A are the second best Mainline SMT games (because it's one of the three that are actually still playable by human standards).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NikkolasKing posted:

So I have an Innocent Sin plot question. Dunno if I should spoiler it?

Just in case:
Was Hitler always Nyarlathotep? While rumors made real people act crazy or different, I'm unsure if all the people who were literally conjured from thin air are actual people or just extensions of it. Basically were all the Nazis and Mayan Aliens Nya? The aliens noticeably had the exact same powers as the heroes which I figured was supposed to mean...something. They were Nya's fabricated counterparts or jokes at our expense?

Yes they were always Nyarly.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Some folks wear a lot of masks.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Item Getter posted:

What the gently caress

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
YHVH Universe made me not want to play SMTIV: Apocalypse anymore, but then when I started ng+ I realized why I enjoyed it so much and was willing to spend so much time playing it. I'm a little bit tempted to play my ng+ on Apocalypse mode, but it's probably a bad idea since I had trouble clearing the endgame bosses on War difficulty and sometimes bumped it down to conflict. Something different would be fun though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Item Getter posted:

:same: I did not like SMT4.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Big SMTI fans itt

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
To be fair I'm counting both 4 and Apocalypse, 4 was mediocre in terms of story / designs but Apocalypse looks like it fell off into pretty dire territory story wise.
As an actual game 4 was all right and had some good points but it had a lot of problems with bizarre difficulty curve, poorly designed party system and lackluster dungeon design etc. At any rate, if we are taking the series into account then not anywhere near as good as the 3rd game.
Persona 4 is a very good game it was just tarnished for a lot of people by 9 years of being milked to death.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 13, 2017

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

So did you not play 4A or what, because it is better than 4 in literally every way, including story.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

So did you not play 4A or what, because it is better than 4 in literally every way, including story.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I disagree

For the basics of gameplay, sure, I'll gladly give it to 4A. But the story was a hard backslide for me. 4's story isn't exactly a grand epic but, as someone who naturally ping-ponged onto the Neutral path for most of the game, I liked the characters and presentation and the ending it got me. 4A gave me kids I didn't care about doing things that didn't matter to me in a setting I realized I was already done with.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
wtf when did sa add scroll bars for posts

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Baal posted:

wtf when did sa add scroll bars for posts

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You will not trick me this time

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Adlai Stevenson posted:

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I disagree

For the basics of gameplay, sure, I'll gladly give it to 4A. But the story was a hard backslide for me. 4's story isn't exactly a grand epic but, as someone who naturally ping-ponged onto the Neutral path for most of the game, I liked the characters and presentation and the ending it got me. 4A gave me kids I didn't care about doing things that didn't matter to me in a setting I realized I was already done with.

To be honest that just sounds like you were burned out on SMT4 in general. I can't imagine liking the characters of original 4 over the characters of 4a, considering how bad the original 4 handles them in the latter parts of the game.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

To be honest that just sounds like you were burned out on SMT4 in general. I can't imagine liking the characters of original 4 over the characters of 4a, considering how bad the original 4 handles them in the latter parts of the game.

I won't fully dismiss that idea but mostly what I'm consciously burned out on are teenage protagonists that I don't care about because these days I'm officially an old man yelling at the clouds

4's pushed endgame character turns lack any sense of grace but at least I liked those guys at some point when I just didn't get into 4A's core cast at all

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I should have known David Cross made the police his bitches.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LllPFcrGsP4

The fake Jack Bros game looks more interesting that Deep Strange Journey.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

... Atlus has to realized that Jackstylvania is too cruel a joke, right?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Looks like it's made by the guy who did Pharaoh Rebirth and that Konosuba BD game. Glad he's fallen into this weird promotional game niche.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Ok so now being lukewarm on a remake I wasn't that interested in anyway I'm now mad that it exists instead of the Jackbros Metroidvania.

So... good job, Atlus? I think?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I mean, there's a Shin Megami Tensei concert on the 23rd, and they've already said that was when they're gonna release more info about Shin Megami Tensei HD, so they may announce this is a real thing too.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
[quote="“DanZX”" post="“477326570”"]
Yeah this.
I mean, does people actually hate SMT4? I thought it was pretty good, warts and all.
[/quote]

I'm sorry, this is now a pro-grid thread. Please get out.

DanZX
May 5, 2015

TurnipFritter posted:

Aw poo poo it’s fake? ATLUS you fucks that looked amazing

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They could have at least done this on April Fools...

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Just reskin Portrait of Ruin with Frost and Pyro imo

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

I mean, there's a Shin Megami Tensei concert on the 23rd, and they've already said that was when they're gonna release more info about Shin Megami Tensei HD, so they may announce this is a real thing too.

I was kinda hoping for SMTV or something. I'd actually buy a Switch for that.

Also please port SMTIV and SMTIVA to Switch. They have practically remade/ported all the DS games for 3DS so doesn't it make sense to remake 3DS games for Switch?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I was kinda hoping for SMTV or something. I'd actually buy a Switch for that.

Also please port SMTIV and SMTIVA to Switch. They have practically remade/ported all the DS games for 3DS so doesn't it make sense to remake 3DS games for Switch?

The 3DS games are extremely low budget titles. Porting them to switch would probably be prohibitively expensive or extremely low quality.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Hey, it can always be a bonus of the 25th anniversary box

:v:

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

How did SMT1 for iOS turn out? Substantially better than SNES? Marginally better?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Super Metroidvania Time: Jack Bros.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The 3DS games are extremely low budget titles. Porting them to switch would probably be prohibitively expensive or extremely low quality.

So mainline SMT game are low budget? That seems weird.

What about Atlus joining the Steam revolution like other JRPG companies, even little ones, are doing? Maybe they could turn a profit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's mostly that they hadn't bothered to make modern demon models until P5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So mainline SMT game are low budget? That seems weird.

What about Atlus joining the Steam revolution like other JRPG companies, even little ones, are doing? Maybe they could turn a profit.

SMT is not actually where the cash is for the franchise these days. Persona is. Now that Persona 5 made a bunch of new HD models we'll probably see them recycling a whole bunch for actual consoles but there is a reason that pretty much every recent SMT game uses static artwork.