Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
ive got a brilliant idea that will solve the problem:

lets ban murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
gently caress YOU THAT'S MY RIGHT

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

ive got a brilliant idea that will solve the problem:

lets ban murder

This won't work at all because criminals don't follow laws

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Only real solution is millions of Jesus clones with unlimited Resurrection Bestowal powers so no one is perma-dead. Or immortality serum. Or everyone is vampires ban sunlight wood stakes crosses and werewolves.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

Regulating firearms similar to motor vehicles would be an amazing start. Mandatory liability insurance, registration, licensing requirements, etc.

From an old post in TFR:

quote:

+++ INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS +++
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Insurance rates are determined off something called actuarial tables. Basically what they do is look at your lifestyle, look at other people like you, and determine your risk level for your premiums. Naturally if you are a smoker or heavily abuse narcotics, you pay higher premiums than someone who doesn't. If you have a history of depression, most life insurance policies will put a minimum term in before suicide benefits will be paid out. Young, male drivers are more accident prone than other drivers and therefore pay much higher rates when buying auto insurance.

So with that in mind, let's look at some of the things these insurance companies will take into account:

FBI Uniform Crime Rate Statistics - Table 43, Arrests by Race ( https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/table-43)
and, Arrests by Race and Age (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/table-49Table 49)

Oh look, it would appear that African Americans are disproportionately arrested for a variety of violent crimes in comparison to their percentage of the population. This isn't some sort of dogwhistle racism biotruth about 'the proclivity of population segments and their nature is that they are brutish and violent' - these are statistics that insurance companies will absolutely take into consideration. Can anyone guess what effect this would have on insurance policy premiums? Live in a city? Oh gosh, looks like you are an additional risk factor. Have a male child in your home between 14-18? Well that's *especially risky* for your *demographic* sir, I'm afraid that your premiums will be $3000 a month.

Now, these same people who claim to be progressive and totally *not racist* and completely caring about the poor, just happen to want to force these segments of the population to be hit with punishing levels of insurance requirements in order to exercise a constitutional right.

quote:

+++ TRAINING RECORDS +++
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Oh you want *training*as a requirement for having a civil right? Why that sounds completely reasonable. Let me guess, you want a minimum of 8-40 hours of training in order to demonstrate competence, as well as refresher training periodically? That won't present any sort of burden or barrier to someone working full time in a job without benefits, let alone someone working multiple part time jobs, or who has a family, or who has to go out of the city because all of the gun stores have been zoned out of business such as in Chicago or San Francisco. They can just take some vacation days. And I'm *totally* sure that the testing to show competency will be run in an aboveboard and totally impartial manner, right?
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_test)

We could compromise though, and make this training mandatory as part of K-12 education. I mean, if you want people to be properly educated on firearms safety and use (to prevent the around 100 or so accidental shooting deaths per year for children), you shouldn't have any objection to it being available in public schools just like Sex Ed and Drivers Ed, right?
Abstinence only education is completely ineffective - it's the same with firearms.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

From an old post in TFR:

Yeah, you should probably stop quoting TFR.

quote:

Now, these same people who claim to be progressive and totally *not racist* and completely caring about the poor, just happen to want to force these segments of the population to be hit with punishing levels of insurance requirements in order to exercise a constitutional right.

quote:

That won't present any sort of burden or barrier to someone working full time in a job without benefits, let alone someone working multiple part time jobs, or who has a family, or who has to go out of the city because all of the gun stores have been zoned out of business such as in Chicago or San Francisco. They can just take some vacation days. And I'm *totally* sure that the testing to show competency will be run in an aboveboard and totally impartial manner, right?
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_test)

"You see! The progressives are the real racists by wanting stronger firearms laws! How dare they attack the poor like that! Now don't mind me as I blow this dog whistle a little harder while pretending to care about poor blacks!"

I can't stop laughing at you comparing Firearms Training to Literacy Tests for voting. Jesus, you guys are hosed up.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 13, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you own a firearm you have to carry "I Shot You" insurance. It works like car insurance.

Watch how quick the laws change when insurance lobbyists don't want to foot the bill for 250 people getting shot and 59 of them dying.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

I can't stop laughing at you comparing Firearms Training to Literacy Tests for voting. Jesus, you guys are hosed up.

The insurance bit is overly dramatic, but his assessment of the industry is accurate. The testing paragraph is poo poo, though. And completely ignores that we somehow already make it work. The academics I've received for my permits was fine...I'd like to see more proficiency training, but I think 40 hours is hilariously excessive.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

If you own a firearm you have to carry "I Shot You" insurance. It works like car insurance.

Watch how quick the laws change when insurance lobbyists don't want to foot the bill for 250 people getting shot and 59 of them dying.

That's not how insurance works.

Companies won't offer it if they judge it'll be a bad financial investment. That's how insurance works. Anyway, there are actually several companies that provide CC insurance already, but it's for legal fees, not medical.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Godholio posted:

That's not how insurance works.

Companies won't offer it if they judge it'll be a bad financial investment.

Hmm... and why would it be a bad financial investment?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's not, inherently. That's why it already exists. But once again, if we're talking about making this mandatory, how about you explain what it's supposed to fix?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Godholio posted:

It's not, inherently. That's why it already exists. But once again, if we're talking about making this mandatory, how about you explain what it's supposed to fix?

A bunch of billion dollar companies having to shell out a shitload of money because a bunch of people are idiots?

Nothing. Nothing about America's gun culture fetish would be affected in this, a country that values money above all else.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
This cheeky bloke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPmzPANAOw4

Is "Fugitive Recovery Agent" a real thing, or is that some hilarious mallcop gecko45 style patch.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, you should probably stop quoting TFR.

"You see! The progressives are the real racists by wanting stronger firearms laws! How dare they attack the poor like that! Now don't mind me as I blow this dog whistle a little harder while pretending to care about poor blacks!"

I'd agree with you about the "liberals are the real racist" thing being bullshit under any other circumstance, but mandatory training (not carry them concealed), insurance, or safe storage laws to simply own firearms will disproportionately affect the poor, and a disproportionate amount of the poor people in this country happen to be minorities due in large part to the systemic racism that has existed in this country since its founding.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

TAQIYYA PURVEYOR posted:

This cheeky bloke

Is "Fugitive Recovery Agent" a real thing, or is that some hilarious mallcop gecko45 style patch.

Yep. See Dog the Bounty Hunter....

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

TAQIYYA PURVEYOR posted:

This cheeky bloke

Either he's a bounty hunter or he's a US Marshall, I think.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Bounty hunters can carry guns??? :stonk:

Godholio posted:

Two points:

1-The list of historical examples yields results ranging from further dividing people politically to nefariously motivated government seizures to a lack of intended results. I don't have to demonstrate anything. You're the one claiming a registry will do something, a significant event which will necessitate a major political movement and that will somehow yield superior results.
That's where the burden of proof lies.
2-So let's just make it easy? I mean...I guess that's one approach to anything of importance. Let's just give up on healthcare and any of a thousand other, more important issues just because they're hard. :cry:

Canada gave up its gun registry because it was very expensive to maintain, solved 0 problems, and prevented 0 crime. While there are no examples of .GOVs checking a .xls and going door kicking to take guns away (that I'm aware of but lol if you deny it would be used to do just that), Canada reported annual cost overages in maintaining a registry that did nothing. A registry of all guns would do nothing other than put personal information of gun owners at risk to hackers and other stupid bureaucrats who would leak that info to the public, thinking they were the next Brad Manning or Reality Winner (lol yes that is her real name) doing humanity a great justice in revealing the names and addresses of gun owners! Hell, newspapers even published the names of gun owners that they had got from registry types of things: http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/25/us/new-york-gun-permit-map/index.html

Therefore, the case is easily made that registries are stupid and serve no purpose other than to keep tabs on who has a gun, which is nobodies business to be honest.

They still go full tilt on health care though.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 13, 2017

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
As far as I know, Canada only gave up its long gun registry. I believe it still has a registry for pistols and other restricted firearms. But you are correct, their long gun registry was a complete failure

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'd agree with you about the "liberals are the real racist" thing being bullshit under any other circumstance, but mandatory training (not carry them concealed), insurance, or safe storage laws to simply own firearms will disproportionately affect the poor, and a disproportionate amount of the poor people in this country happen to be minorities due in large part to the systemic racism that has existed in this country since its founding.

I've already said my position on subsidizing gun ownership in targeted communities, but really? "I know that ploy is bullshit for everything else, but by blessed coincidence, it is not bullshit when used to defend positions in which I'm heavily invested."

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Are people in here denying that gun control as we know it today was truly started by the Democratic party to prevent black people from owning guns in the racist Jim Crow south?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Lol

"I would agree with you on everything except this because it would conflict with my viewpoint"

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

TAQIYYA PURVEYOR posted:

Are people in here denying that gun control as we know it today was truly started by the Democratic party to prevent black people from owning guns in the racist Jim Crow south?

Are you one of those who tries to tie the racist southern Dixiecrats to the modern Democratic party?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Do you not see how those fees, licenses, training costs, and requirements are akin to voter ID laws in terms of disenfranchising people?

What do those voter ID laws do? They disproportionately affect the poor, infirm, people without transportation, etc.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

DoktorLoken posted:

Are you one of those who tries to tie the racist southern Dixiecrats to the modern Democratic party?

e: On second though, I'm not going to touch this one.

I will reiterate though that the following ideas are of no use and would not serve to prevent gun violence:

*Gun registries
*Mandatory safe storage laws, of which there are several states that mandate some form of 'safe' storage.
*Liability insurance. lol just lol at the idea of this. "Hmm yes, not only did I need to pay a private citizen to take a state mandated safety course to exercise a constitutional right, but also I was required to insure my constitutional rights."

Even background checks are useless. The only they they do is prove you haven't committed any crimes in the past, which cannot be an indicator of what you may do in the future. Paddock is a perfect example of this. It's simply a feel good measure a.k.a. security theater. Just like Illinois' FOID card, a stupid public safety initiative that serves only to generate a small trickle of revenue in licensing fees while doing *nothing* to further public safety.

The only way we will see a drop in gun violence: repeal the 2A, spend hundreds of billions in enforcing confiscation (lol you thought the war on drugs was expensive wrt money and lives,) and outlaw the civilian possession of firearms 100%. As those are all fantasies, proposing piecemeal banning of things like bumpfire stocks or cosmetic accessories will only cause gun rights advocates (i.e. people who enjoy defending themselves) to dig their heels in and resist, and rightly so.

Do you not see how those fees, licenses, training costs, and requirements are akin to voter ID laws in terms of disenfranchising people?

What do those voter ID laws do? They disproportionately affect the poor, infirm, people without transportation, etc.

Ostensibly? They ensure you are allowed to vote IAW state and federal law by proving you are a legal citizen and resident of the correct voting region.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 13, 2017

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

TAQIYYA PURVEYOR posted:

Ostensibly? They ensure you are allowed to vote IAW state and federal law.

Because clearly we need to disenfranchise hundreds of thousands and get a broke brain, five second attention span orange piece of poo poo, because of the massive amount of voter fraud which amounted to a whopping 70 prosecution's one year

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Because clearly we need to disenfranchise hundreds of thousands and get a broke brain, five second attention span orange piece of poo poo, because of the massive amount of voter fraud which amounted to a whopping 70 prosecution's one year

:thunk:

You seem mad. I said ostensibly that is what voter ID laws do. Realistically? Well, they might inconvenience some people, but I can't imagine it's hundreds of thousands of people. If you don't have any form of ID that can prove who you are, then I don't know what to tell you.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Pretty sure you got what you voted for there, buddy.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

redneck nazgul posted:

Pretty sure you got what you voted for there, buddy.

Lol if you think I voted for that shitstain.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TAQIYYA PURVEYOR posted:

:thunk:

You seem mad. I said ostensibly that is what voter ID laws do. Realistically? Well, they might inconvenience some people, but I can't imagine it's hundreds of thousands of people. If you don't have any form of ID that can prove who you are, then I don't know what to tell you.

Voter ID laws are crafted specifically to target minority voters to prevent them from voting and solve no fraud issues at all. Sure you can get a free id but the only office that issues them is 4-5 hours away and only issues them the third wednesday of the month.

I work a lot with indigent vets. There are a lot of them with no valid ID or an easy way to get one. We help cut out a lot of the red tape and bullshit for people, but there are tens of thousands of others out there in similar shoes that do not have free legal assistance to aid them.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Mr. Nice! posted:

Voter ID laws are crafted specifically to target minority voters to prevent them from voting and solve no fraud issues at all. Sure you can get a free id but the only office that issues them is 4-5 hours away and only issues them the third wednesday of the month.

I work a lot with indigent vets. There are a lot of them with no valid ID or an easy way to get one. We help cut out a lot of the red tape and bullshit for people, but there are tens of thousands of others out there in similar shoes that do not have free legal assistance to aid them.

How do the voter ID laws target minority voters to prevent them from voting? What, are minorities incapable of getting an ID card? Last I checked white people are still annoyed by the DMV hours and locations, just as much as any minority. There are no private whites only ID offices. That seems like a very weak point.

Minority: Hi I'm here to vote
Polling Officer: OK do you have any form of ID that proves who you are?
Minority: Yes I have a drivers license like 98% of the USA.
Polling Officer: OK here is your ballot :patriot:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

TAQIYYA PURVEYOR posted:

How do the voter ID laws target minority voters to prevent them from voting? What, are minorities incapable of getting an ID card? Last I checked white people are still annoyed by the DMV hours and locations, just as much as any minority. There are no private whites only ID offices. That seems like a very weak point.

Minority: Hi I'm here to vote
Polling Officer: OK do you have any form of ID that proves who you are?
Minority: Yes I have a drivers license like 98% of the USA.
Polling Officer: OK here is your ballot :patriot:

You aren't eligible to vote just because you have a photo ID. If you were, a lot of this issue would be resolved.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Is 'voter ID law' just a pretty label that is applied to the actual law which is more nefarious? Unless the law was called 'voter ID law' but in reality you had to provide a passport in order to vote, that might be a real problem.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

TAQIYYA PURVEYOR posted:

Is 'voter ID law' just a pretty label that is applied to the actual law which is more nefarious? Unless the law was called 'voter ID law' but in reality you had to provide a passport in order to vote, that might be a real problem.

I'm having a tough time putting this in a post without it being an essay so just read a brief summary of issues here:

https://www.brennancenter.org/new-voting-restrictions-america

I remember some dumb story about a place to get IDs in one district only being open on the 5th Wednesday of the month.

Yes. The 5th.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 13, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TAQIYYA PURVEYOR posted:

You don't seem particularly well informed about these issues that you have such strong feelings about.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TAQIYYA PURVEYOR posted:

Basically. There are very specific IDs that are allowed that are predominately held by republican voters while common IDs for minority voters are not. It has nothing to do with identification. Concealed carry IDs are accepted in many states with voter ID laws despite the fact the CCWs do not have photos. On the other hand very few states with these laws will accept student IDs from state colleges that do have photos. Free IDs that meet the requirements are deliberately made onerously difficult. Also, 98% of the country does not have a valid driver's license. There are quite a lot of people in places with decent public transportation that either never get drivers licenses or do not renew them when they expire.

It really is pretty insidious because it seems innocuous until you dig under the surface.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You don't seem particularly well informed about these issues that you have such strong feelings about.

:lol: if you think these are strong feelings.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Basically. There are very specific IDs that are allowed that are predominately held by republican voters while common IDs for minority voters are not.

A voter registration card isn't held equally by democrats? :thunk:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Concealed carry IDs are accepted in many states with voter ID laws despite the fact the CCWs do not have photos.

My Florida, Mississippi, and Texas CCWs all have had photos on them. CCWs are state issued licenses, how can they not have pictures on them? They would be useless otherwise.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also, 98% of the country does not have a valid driver's license. There are quite a lot of people in places with decent public transportation that either never get drivers licenses or do not renew them when they expire.

Then get a state ID.

quote:

It really is pretty insidious because it seems innocuous until you dig under the surface.

Hey, just like gun laws!

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 13, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

TAQIYYA PURVEYOR posted:

:lol: if you think these are strong feelings.

A voter registration card isn't held equally by democrats? :thunk:

My Florida, Mississippi, and Texas CCWs all have had photos on them. CCWs are state issued licenses, how can they not have pictures on them? They would be useless otherwise.

Then get a state ID.

Hey, just like gun laws!

You're talking from your hip and don't really have a clue about the actual issue. If it was as simple as "just go get a state ID" then it wouldn't be an issue at all.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Here's how voter ID works.

"Hey you need one of these IDs to vote"
6 months later
"We're closing a bunch of the offices you can get IDs at, specifically in these largely poor and minority areas"

Like, that's actually what Alabama tried to do.

Texas is already being a little more subtle. The two DPS offices we had for ~350K people were consolidated into one office that is equally inconvenient for everyone now. It's also somewhere public transportation doesn't go

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
A fair point.

I'll go see what I can find about it since I'm likely not going to be convinced here, and it's just "you don't know what you're talking about" followed by "we're not here to educate you" snark.

e: I'll let John Oliver tell me about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHFOwlMCdto

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 13, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

TAQIYYA PURVEYOR posted:

A fair point.

I'll go see what I can find about it since I'm likely not going to be convinced here, and it's just "you don't know what you're talking about" followed by "we're not here to educate you" snark.

If the only place in your area to get an ID only issued the on the 5th Wednesday of the month, would that seem fair to you?

Because that is the type of thing that happens in poor minority areas.

Like yeah you can plan for it, but the nearest place that does it every day is an hour drive away. And the wait at places like that isn't usually short. So you have to take an entire day just to get an ID. Whereas that affluent county is able to drive five minutes and do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Don't forget Alabama, that purposefully closed multiple Drivers Licences centers in the poorest parts of the state right before elections.

• Locked thread