Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

e: For the new page, let us instead celebrate that Fall Creator's Update is rolling out in just 5 days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Feature I'm most looking forward to: Edge's PDF enhancements. People need more reasons not to use Adobe and being able to write on PDFs is going to make a big difference.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

astral posted:

e: For the new page, let us instead celebrate that Fall Creator's Update is rolling out in just 5 days!

I'm curious what this will mean for machines like mine that haven't been offered the first Creators update at all yet.

Will the new update include the changes from the first, or will I need to continue waiting for the first one and then also wait for the fall update?

When Creators update first launched I heard a bunch of people had issues when they manually installed it, so I've been waiting for it to be offered during an update check.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

dihaploidy posted:

I'm curious what this will mean for machines like mine that haven't been offered the first Creators update at all yet.

Will the new update include the changes from the first, or will I need to continue waiting for the first one and then also wait for the fall update?

When Creators update first launched I heard a bunch of people had issues when they manually installed it, so I've been waiting for it to be offered during an update check.

Weird, regular CU should've shown up there for you a month or two ago at the latest (unless you were on LTSB). That's when it showed up for those with Pro who'd checked the 'defer feature updates' box.

What version are you running?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The six-month updates are full upgrades like most other OSs do now. Windows 10 supports upgrading from at least two older versions.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

astral posted:

Weird, regular CU should've shown up there for you a month or two ago at the latest (unless you were on LTSB). That's when it showed up for those with Pro who'd checked the 'defer feature updates' box.

What version are you running?

I'm on 1607 of the Home edition. The update menu in settings has been telling me that the "Creators Update is on it's way" for months, it but it insists that it's up to date whenever it does an update check.

Having done a quick Google it looks like I'm not alone: https://betanews.com/2017/09/26/quarter-of-windows-10-users-without-creators-update/

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

astral posted:

Sweet, I for one am looking forward to finding out which settings reset. It's like a lottery.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Speaking of updates and reboots, I discovered something today when I went to shut my computer down.

If I click on the start menu and go to shut down from there, I get the message "update and shut down" but if I press the power button on my case*, I can shutdown (and reboot) without updating.

If I was one of those fools, I could never have to update my computer again. But that would be stupid.

*If you go to 'Power & Sleep Setting > Additional Power Settings > Choose what the power buttons do', you can make the power and sleep buttons do a bunch of different stuff. Choosing "shut down" apparently also makes the computer ignore any updates and shut down immediately.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That does sound bad, but I've got my windows open just how I like them, so I'm going to go ahead and not restart my PC, okay? :colbert:

That is legitimately something which has bugged me since forever.

Why can't Windows remember what I've got open - and where - after a reboot?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 13, 2017

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

dihaploidy posted:

I'm on 1607 of the Home edition. The update menu in settings has been telling me that the "Creators Update is on it's way" for months, it but it insists that it's up to date whenever it does an update check.

Having done a quick Google it looks like I'm not alone: https://betanews.com/2017/09/26/quarter-of-windows-10-users-without-creators-update/

I had to manually download it and etc on mine, it literally never showed up. The other couple computers did it all automatically. Very weird :shrug:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Each individual program would have to support it, but the framework for doing it sort-of is in place. There is a thing called Restart Manager, which lets programs register themselves for automatically doing a clean shutdown saving their state, and later being re-started from that state. The main purpose is supposedly to let installers close programs that are locking files it needs to update, but the RegisterApplicationRestart function does have a flag for indicating whether or not you want to get restarted after a reboot for system updates.

However it all depends on each and every application properly implementing this, and I think very few do.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Because that would require knowing what state of each of your applications actually matters and how to restore it properly.

Mac OS has APIs for this, but it requires every individual application to support them: https://developer.apple.com/library...010543-CH3-SW26

I think maybe "Modern" Windows apps have something like this, I'm not sure, but I doubt we'll ever see it retrofitted on to Win32.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

wolrah posted:

I think maybe "Modern" Windows apps have something like this, I'm not sure, but I doubt we'll ever see it retrofitted on to Win32.

Read the post above yours. The win32 api was added in Vista. People just don't do it because :effort:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fun fact: File Explorer actually has an option for this:

From what I remember, it was enabled by default in Windows 95 first edition, but got disabled by default at some point, probably together with the default changing from new window per folder opened, to one window for all navigation. (I think that changed with the IE 4 shell update.)

Edit: I remembered wrong. Windows 95 doesn't have an option for this, it just does it with no way to turn it off! (Tested on version 4.0.1111 with IE 3.)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 13, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If you turn off Show sync provider notifications, OneDrive will stop hassling you.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not having goog luck with the Fall Creators update. .dll errors in Edge after install. SSD based computers are failing to upgrade with a corrupt media message. So far, 0 for 4. The install images check out so I dunno wtf.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

redeyes posted:

the Fall Creators update. [...] The install images check out so I dunno wtf.

but... you... update rage... :psyduck:

Where did you get these alleged install images?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

dont be mean to me posted:

but... you... update rage... :psyduck:

Where did you get these alleged install images?

I do actually test my own machines on my own time. Direct from Microsoft!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Sweet, I for one am looking forward to finding out which settings reset. It's like a lottery.

Me too! Though I have noticed it's been a couple less every time, for which I'm very thankful. Sadly, the most annoying setting reset for me will probably never be fixed: I have narrower window borders set as a registry option to reduce both the visible area of the border and what I've dubbed the "phantom area" of invisible-but-draggable border which windows have around them.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

redeyes posted:

SSD based computers are failing to upgrade with a corrupt media message.

:stonk:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

As long as we're trying to dupe people into believing anecdotes are data, 3 for 3, all SSDs, no upgrade issues.

Also, you know, consider your sources.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Also, you know, consider your sources.

Friend of mine works in a government department, their office shut down with this error two days ago.

Hoping it's not related.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Friend of mine works in a government department, their office shut down with this error two days ago.

Hoping it's not related.

Could just be the SSD flaked out for unrelated reasons. I doubt a government office is getting even an RTM image put on it before the official release date.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Could just be the SSD flaked out for unrelated reasons. I doubt a government office is getting even an RTM image put on it before the official release date.

I don't know how many machines it was or the specific update, but I'm 100% going to ask now. All I know is the entire office shut down as nobody's machine would boot.

I thought that about the update being early, I'll post in here if it was that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 13, 2017

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
They might be referring to this:

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/State-computers-locked-up-during-overnight-12272790.php

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That totally matches up. Thank you.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Apparently it only happened if the organisation synced a specific delta update though their WSUS - the normal cumulative version of the same update was okay

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Something is causing my PC to stutter and slow down every once in a while. It's super sporadic and driving me nuts, I can't figure out what is causing it.

I know how to use ProcMon, but is there any good system monitoring software that can track RAM and CPU usage?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Factor Mystic posted:

Read the post above yours. The win32 api was added in Vista. People just don't do it because :effort:

Chrome started doing it recently. I used to have to reopen the browser and rely on the "didn't shut down properly" restore option to open all the windows and tabs back up, now after an update they're already back how they were

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

astral posted:

Feature I'm most looking forward to: Edge's PDF enhancements. People need more reasons not to use Adobe and being able to write on PDFs is going to make a big difference.

I'm most looking forward to the fix that hopefully gets rid of the CPU spikes and poor game performance. :(

190 pages of soothsaying, witchery, madness, turning features on and off and eventually rolling back to ver. 1604...but apparently that doesn't work anymore either.

The whole thing is bonkers and I feel like its the late 90's and I'm janitoring my first PC again.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Medullah posted:

Something is causing my PC to stutter and slow down every once in a while. It's super sporadic and driving me nuts, I can't figure out what is causing it.

It's Windows 10. It's loving garbage.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Medullah posted:

I know how to use ProcMon, but is there any good system monitoring software that can track RAM and CPU usage?
Process Explorer

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Process Explorer

Thank you, I knew there was a technet tool but could not for the life of me remember the name. Because you know, it's a complex and illogical name. :blush:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Saw this in the fall update changelog;

code:
Windows is now smart enough to throttle inactive programs.
Oh boy, it's going to throttle current & active programs isn't it?

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Man, Microsoft keep finding ways to make patch notes sound incredibly ominous, don't they?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Photos app on my Surface has gone insane - the live tile is broken, the app is constantly refreshing and it is rinsing my CPU and RAM for all that it's worth. And unless I remove the live tile, surprise! It opens in as a background process and hogs all the resources anyway!

I really want the update to come out. :( It might not fix it, of course, but I'd at least like to try that before resorting to a hard reset, because forcing the app to uninstall via Powershell and reinstalling did sod all to help.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Oh boy, it's going to throttle current & active programs isn't it?

It shouldn't. The feature only works on Intel Skylake and newer processors; and basically what it means is that if an application in the background starts trying to do work on the CPU, it won't bring the CPU out of a low power state and into a high power state for that work unless that application is doing something user-visible, such as playing music or video or if you've been interacting with it recently. Otherwise, only the foreground application is allowed to bring the CPU into high power mode. Basically, it means poo poo running in the background is limited in how much it can burn down your battery.

If you have your power profile set to "High Performance", it's disabled entirely. I think it's disabled entirely if you're not running on battery power as well.

You can check to see if a program is currently being throttled in the Task Manager, under the details tab, by showing the Power Throttling column.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got another random logoff today and the EventID is 7002:
"User Logoff Notification for Customer Experience Improvement Program"
Googling around gives a bunch of Windows 7 guides to turn off CEIP which seems to be already turned off. This is the second time in a few months Windows has rebooted and just lost what I have open. Any ideas?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hed posted:

Googling around gives a bunch of Windows 7 guides to turn off CEIP which seems to be already turned off. This is the second time in a few months Windows has rebooted and just lost what I have open. Any ideas?

CEIP takes events and reports them to Microsoft to see if there is a bug that is common enough for MS to investigate. It's all anonymized and harmless, and it's also not the cause of your logoff.

Check the event viewer items before that, was there something else int he log, like a reboot sequence?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hey guys, I have some files (some audio, video, etc) that have weird properties in the metadata (Timestamps for video and the like) that I've copied from other machines. Long story short, I can't edit the metadata through Properties and if I go to remove any of them there's no checkboxes or options to select which tags/metadata are deleted. I'm on Windows 10 Creator's Update version 1703. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hed posted:

I think the event is supposed to mean "this is a log for CEIP about the user being logged off", and not "CEIP forced a log-off". So it's just a data point collected about it.

syntaxfunction posted:

Hey guys, I have some files (some audio, video, etc) that have weird properties in the metadata (Timestamps for video and the like) that I've copied from other machines. Long story short, I can't edit the metadata through Properties and if I go to remove any of them there's no checkboxes or options to select which tags/metadata are deleted. I'm on Windows 10 Creator's Update version 1703. Any ideas?

Maybe it's stored in some tags or whatever in the file itself, and File Explorer only has the code to read those and not write.

Going to ask again: Who wants to make a new thread? I can no longer be assed to keep the OP updated so it's just getting full of old information by now.