Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

And we are back, to the same old rankings. Ichitaka’s still breathing down Kenji’s neck.

No 50% upgrades today, but I’ve set up Iczer-3 and Shinn to get it next mission. Little bit else went into the Nagahamas.

The final, thank god, route split of the game is upon us, so I’ll save the squad arrangements for after that.

We open up with Misato informing Lady Une that the EVAs are just about fully repaired, though it’ll take a bit longer to get them ready to fight in space. Djibril hasn’t been found yet, but Une would like us to have people up top for when he is. Misato agrees and suggests we split our team: one to stand guard over space, one over Earth.
The Minerva and Quarter’ll be heading into space, which is perfect for Jeffrey as the SMS team could so with some full-scale maintenance at the Frontier.

Cut to the hangar, Asuka is booored – there’ve been no Angels, no Cthulhu, no nothing to fight. Ichitaka doesn’t see the problem, since we’ve been fighting precisely to have these uneventful days become the norm again. Sounds like ages ago when he and Kouichi spent time watching vids of their favorite bots. Much has passed since Ichitaka went to see Grife and Kouichi got squished by the Linebarrel.
Same goes for Shinji, who still can’t fully believe this is what his life is like now. Will those days ever come back, Kouichi wonders? Michel sighs, saying that there are some things you can’t go back on once you’re in there. Alto asks if that was directed at him, and he says no… well, maybe.
Ippei figures he means Ranka; is there any indication that she’s struggling in her show business life? Not really, Alto THINKS she’s fine. Iczer-3 isn’t really listening, wishing Granny would crop out so she could beat the location of Nagisa out of her.

But that’s for another time: Misato comes in and informs that folks’ll be heading into space. No Djibril yet, but we’ll be ready for when he sticks his lipsticked head out. The Earth team’ll be on standby at JUDA in case anything happens here… though Daiya hopes we’ll get nothing. As always, Ichitaka gets to go on whichever group.

Stand Guard in Space Route:
Gundam Wing
SEED Destiny
Macross Frontier
Iczer-3
Jeeg
Voltes
Combattler

Stand Guard on the Surface Route:
Mazingers
Godannar
Dancouga
Linebarrel
Evangelion
Gaiking

Choose the space route, and Misato suggests we rest while we still can. That doesn’t feel too right for Luna, noting that the PLANTs have search parties looking for Djibril around the clock. Duo sees it the other way: we’ll rest now, and work extra-hard when it’s go-time.
And since he’s such an old-hand at that philosophy, Hilde declares his go-time to be now: he’ll be helping her gather intel. So much for relaxing…

Some time later, the Quarter’s already left Earth. That’s Ichitaka’s first real chance to really look at the planet without any hostiles or falling colonies hogging his attention – it’s a real gem, Luca thinks. Might not be that big of a deal face the vastness of the universe, but Nagisa knows that the Cthulhu or the Frontier Fleet haven’t run into any other world like it throughout their travels. Sister Gray said the same thing to Iczer-3, too.
Michel’s not feeling the vibe, though: they’re heading to the Frontier and won’t be working for a bit, so this may be the time to get him over to Sheryl. Kenji pokes him back to reality – he was just thinking to himself. Date plans, asks Juzo? Michel says it’s about our guard schedule, so that’s half-right.

But whatever’s on his mind, Kenji tells him not to take it all upon himself, having noticed him looking the same way he did before that friendly fire mess happened. Klan assures everyone that she’s making sure Michel’s keeping his head together – there’ll be no more hiccups from him. At least with her on watch, Megumi feels more at ease.

Over by Michel’s room, he apologizes for needing to have her bail him out. She notes that that only happened because he’s got a terrible poker face: everyone could see the worry spread across it. Sorry, sorry.
Regardless, Cathy gets on the PA and says she Quarter’s approaching Island 1, so what will they do now…

Choose the Surface Route, and Kouji and others take Misato up on her suggestion to get some rest. Emi’s worried, though: the Katou Organization’s still going strong, so it’s likely we’ll have to fight Yajima again. Kouichi doubts it, declaring that the guy isn’t with those guys anymore.
That sounds like certainty to Kurara, and it is. Last time they spoke, Yajima said that he hadn’t really joined Katou’s team and that he had some thinking to do. Guess that’s insight only years of friendship provides, and Ichitaka’s very glad to hear it as he didn’t want to fight the guy either.

Vestanu calls on Lulu to get our patrol missions set up – never know what might happen. Norza agrees, saying that idle days quickly erode one’s skill. With that in mind, Goh figures we could try some mock battles as a way to unwind. Plus, in Aoi’s opinion, it’ll do good to warm up both themselves and their engines.
Tetsuya likes their spirit, and Ichitaka’s raring to go too – the Katous can come try their hand whenever they want!

: …
: Is something wrong, Yamashita?
: We’ve been at it for so long, and we still don’t know what the Katou Organization or Reiji’s goals are… Is it really to take over the world?
: … Tsk, guess I really do still want to believe in him. I told myself I’d get over what happened, but… I’m just pathetic, huh?
: There is nothing to be ashamed of, young Satoru Yamashita. It is only natural to have faith in one’s lord. Never forsake that faith, I say, and your thoughts will surely reach him.
: Kain…
: Yamashita… no one here knows Reiji better than you. So keep trying to figure him out, and I’m sure you’ll find an answer eventually.
: Shinji… thanks. Heh, talk about a role reversal here… But, yeah, I’ll wait for him to show up again. And when he does, I’ll tell him everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

We’ll be going on the Surface Route first (though will be keeping Space). Some fiddling around later, here’s how we’re going:
Ichitaka/Miu
Domyoji/Jack
Daiya/Deceive
Norza/Lee
Dick/Puria
Goh/Anna
Ken/Lou
Tetsuya/Yanma
Shinji/Mira
Kouji/Rei
Asuka/Boss
Yamashita/Shizuru

Forward!

Masaki’s back at Shangri-La, and, with an apology, Katou asks that handle the “last one”. That is to say, the installation at Point Zero. They’ve managed to take advantage of the chaos gripping Earth to install the other Spheres without a hitch, but Katou figures the location for this one will make it especially difficult.
That’s fine with Masaki, who pledges to see it done despite the expected resistance. Once the installation at Point Zero’s finished, they’ll be done with making their preparations – the time for the Gate to open is nigh. Reiji himself is already out in space, ready to activate the Hub Fountain.
With that, Masaki gets ready to set off for Point Zero… the town of Misaki.

At the Daiku Maryu, Kouichi reports that the EVAs have all been fully repaired – took really long time, too, Ichitaka groans. Recent battles, especially the last one, had taken a heavy toll on them, but, as Kouji remembers, Shinji, Rei and Asuka have been pulling all the stops. The EVA kids kicked rear end at Operation Yashima, and they did it again with the last Angel.
True, Shizuru admits while she’d initially thought of Shinji as just a “cute kid”, he’s shown himself to be a real man. Shinji stammers a denial, and Asuka sighs that he’s still being so wishy-washy. He’s fought and done more than enough to earn himself the right to be proud, and everyone here’s giving him props, so be happy about it!

The kid isn’t very good at being open with others, Kurara sees, but Sakuya notes that Shinji has undergone some amazing changes. He wouldn’t have expected him to amount to all this when they first met. Indeed, Goh concedes that he also worried that it’d be too much for him… but all’s well that ends well.

But the Team D’s changed plenty themselves, Anna says. When they joined the crew, they were so aloof and uncaring, but they’ve warmed up to the team. Now, their energy and soul burns hot enough to even get Tetsuya Kouji hyped to be fighting with them.
Aoi isn’t so sure, reminding of what she said during their first talk: she’s only really been fighting with the Dancouga because she thinks it’s exciting and fun. Kouji isn’t buying it, saying that’s just her hiding what she REALLY feels. Note, when Daiya was training last time and screwed up, the Team D lent a hand – that shows they care.

Aoi shrugs that that was just a spur-of-the-moment thing, and they’re reading too much into it. “Spur-of-the-moment”, as in it her body just did what felt natural to it, Goh asks? Whatever she might say, everyone here now sees the Team D as people whom we can trust to watch our backs.
But the camaraderie is put on hold as the klaxons go off. There’s an emergency and Rosa summons everyone to the bridge.

We’ve just got warned that the Katous are headed for Misaki. The missing Godannar characters (in order, left to right: Knight, Eris, Shadow, Luna, Ekaterina and Kukrachov) tried stopping their advance, but couldn’t pull it off. That the International Super Robot Team got trounced comes as a surprise to Anna, but, according to Eris, it was due to a certain bot showing up: the R-Daigun.
Shadow explains that it appeared in the battlefield in the blink of an eye and broke their lines apart. We hadn’t seen the bot since the battle at Vladivostok, which begs the question from Alice: why now? Whatever the case, it and the Katous were too much and forced them to back off.

Goh won’t hold it against them, telling his friends to stand down and lick their wounds. With an apology that they couldn’t help us from Kukrachov, Ekaterina asks that we stop their advance. We’re the proverbial last ray of hope.
While Kouichi fumes, Lulu tells Naoto to set the Daiku Maryu towards Misaki on the double. Meanwhile, Aoi knows we’re going to fight the R-Daigun there. Can they beat an enemy that’s trounced them before?

: So, what’d you want to talk with us about?
: Um… you guys all pulled through a bunch of battles even before we started piloting the Dancouga, yeah? What did you do when you had to go up against an enemy that was way stronger than you?
: Hearing about the R-Daigun after all this time’s brought some bad memories back, huh?
: Yes… When we last fought, we were completely outmatched…
: That said, it ain’t in us to just take another loss like that.
: So if there’s anything we can do to help us win, we’re ready and willing to run with it.
: Oh, wow, you HAVE gotten so much fiercer nowadays… It’s a huge contrast with when we first met!
: Alright, I see where you’re coming from… and I got just one piece of advice to give.
: As bad as things may get out there, never, ever, give up.
: I say the same thing. Victory always comes to those who keep fighting, who try ‘til the very last second.
: In other words, “never say die”…?
: It’s your call how you’ll take our words. But, there is something you’re lacking when compared to the other pilots.
: Something we’re lacking?
: And you should already know what that is.

*Beep!*

: We’ll be arriving in Misaki shortly. All pilots, battle stations!
: What happens next is all up to you folks. Go give that thing twice what it gave you!

Mission 29 (Earth Route) - The Awakening of the God Beast

: Captain, the Fuji #1, our secret weapon, has been sunk…! We can’t hold the line anymore!
: And who’ll be left to protect the civs if we bail, idiot?!
: B-But…!
: The SDF really aren’t good enough to handle us, I guess. And here I was, hoping to have a bit more fun.

: N-Not yet… I can’t go down yet… It’s our mission to protect this town…!
: And now it’s your turn to hit the dirt!

: Stop right there, Katou Organization…!

: Why don’t you try your hand with me next!
: That’s JUDA’s Machina!

: Deploy all units!

: We’ll handle the rest, gramps. Pull back!
: I-I can’t just run and leave this to you…
: Don’t overexert yourself. There are still some other lives you need to take care of, right? Pull back and watch over them.
: S-Sorry… I leave this to you, then…

: There’s LOTUS. All troops, engage and destroy them. So says Cmdr. Katou.
: Hey, hold the phone… the Glain-Neider’s… it’s right above our school, isn’t it?!
: Everyone hurry! The Katou Organization’s trying to install a Sphere at Misaki Middle School, it seems!
: “Sphere”, as in that thingamajig they put in Vladivostok?!
: We still don’t know what those are, but we can’t just let them set the thing down! Get the Katou Organization off Misaki!
: Perfect… both we and Aoi’s crew can get some payback for their shenanigans in Vladivostok. Two birds with one stone.
: You’ve got some nerve trying to have your way with my town! You better be ready, ‘cause this is gonna hurt!

*Looks at the R-Daigun ahead.*

: R-Daigun…
: I have been waiting, Dancouga Nova… Show me how much you’ve grown since joining LOTUS.
: We’re not losing this time…!

Destroy everything, don’t lose a ship, Kouichi or Aoi.
The Katous have buffed up a wee bit since we last fought. Of note, they’ve started fielding MP Jinrais and these are rather dodgy for mooks – decent firepower, too. But, of course, we’ve fought stronger stuff against the Darius and those were WAY bulkier, so it’s just a matter of getting a few good hits to stick (usually with your Supers).
Soubi and Wufei aren’t around, probably busy discussing the finer details of SEIGI, but Masaki’s right up top and he’s just as dangerous as in Vladivostok. Approach accordingly. The R-Daigun’ll move straight away, making a beeline for Aoi, so be mindful of that – make sure she’s not in position to be mobbed by the Jinrais, or tucked behind Iron Wall (don’t worry about their SP).
Taking away these additions, it remains the standard fight with the Katous. Masaki won’t move, so it’s only Sawatari and Yulianne popping command auras this time – much more manageable. Build up morale and tear down the R-Daigun to get it, and its debuff, off your hair. Once that’s done, clean-up as usual and converge on Masaki (remember to watch out for his MAPW: 5x5 AoE centered on him).

Off we go!

: We’ve learned much since getting wrecked by you and joining LOTUS!
: We can win this now… I know we can!
: So if you think we’re the same people we were back then, you’re in for a rude awakening!
: Talk is cheap. Show me action…!
: You want it, you got it! Here we go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01Xt1IIX5bw
Let’s take a look at some DKs and attacks with couldn’t before. I don’t use the Blade Gainer enough, but it is quite the powerful machine nonetheless…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMYloiy5gFU
And here’s a double-wammy: the Raiking and Vulking’s strongest non-combined attacks.
And I really got a kick of the Vulking’s “AAY, who wants a hug?!” victory pose.

Kill enough stuff and the plot kicks in.

: I’ll concede that you’re all very good, but it is too little, too late.

: Aah… the school’s…!
: It’s enormous… That Sphere’s completely different from the ones they’ve set before…!
: Just what are they planning, setting a Sphere in a place like that…?!
: You… what did you do to our school… That place held so many memories for us, and you…! You’re gonna pay for that…!!

: What…?!
: You do not learn, do you? Beam weapons won’t work against this unit.
: That’s why I’m always telling you to check the data we got on the enemy, man!
: This isn’t over! If I can just close the distance, then…!
: Don’t lose your cool, Hayase! Stop!
: Imbecile. That’ll cost you your life…
: Haaaaaaaah!

*Kouichi starts charging in, but!*

: What…?
: That attack… was it—?!

: Yeah, I figured your unit would still feel a real bullet just fine, beam immunity or not!
: Yajima…!
: Kouichi… I’ve thought about what I wanted to do…
: And I reconsidered a few things: what your new power actually means to you, what you’re using it for…
: And I thought that if you got yourself in a bind, then I should be there to keep you safe… because that’s what I want to do.
: But, Yajima, I…
: I know… you’re not someone who’s just going to be protected anymore.
: So when I get myself in a bind, I want you to protect me back, Kouichi.
: Yeah… you got it, Yajima. I’ll watch your back come hell or high water… That’s what a Champion of Justice does, right?
: Right… I’ll be counting on you, Kouichi.
: Hey, hey! You two ain’t the only ones who wanna take care of their buddies!
: We all feel the same way…!
: Hear, hear! I don’t wanna ever have to go to a friend’s funeral again!
: Sorry about that, guys…
: Come and get it, then, Katous! We’re keeping our town safe from you!
: One extra Machina won’t help you change the tide of this battle. You’ll simply die alongside the traitor.

Don’t need to watch over Kouichi anymore. Proceed as usual.

Apparition (Yajima Hideaki)
Pilot Skills:
Factor (baseline value: 70)
Shoot Down
Hit & Away
Prevail L4
Support Attack L1
Support Defense L2
Attack Combo L1
Spirit Commands:
Snipe
Focus
Strike
Fighting Spirit
Mech Features:
EM Camo: activates at 130 morale. 20% chance to trigger double image, mitigated by Skill stat.
Squad Bonus: Ranged weapons’ attack power +100, Accuracy +5

Like all the other Machinas, the Apparition’s pretty good. As you might expect, it’s a pure sniper mech, but it does its job well. He’s got Kouichi beat pretty much on all stats (unsurprising, since it’s a well-established fact that the kid IS coasting on the Linebarrel being broken), but he’s not the most survivable of the bunch if the enemy gangs up on him.
As a sniper, it’s always better to have him hanging back behind our front line guys, so set him up accordingly. He only has two weapons: a 1-3 range post-movement shot, and a 3-8 range pre-movement one. All are ammo based, so you can spam his big weapon without much care.
All in all, another good squaddie mech for our range-focused guys.

Speaking of weapons, here’s Yajima’s best trick:

: Maybe I was the one who let this new power get to my head…!
: But if there’s one thing I know for real, it’s that I want to protect both this world and Risako…!
: So I’ll be fighting together with Kouichi’s crew! That’s the answer I found!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UufDbxDL4Lw

: We can’t well trip at the finish line, you know. Sorry, but I’ll have to put you down hard and fast!

: Those mooks bored me halfway to death! Y’all better make for a more fun time than them, ya hear!

: What’re you up to, setting that Sphere in Misaki?! Is it part of your plan to conquer the world?
: You’ll have your answer, soon enough. Just sit tight and wait for it to happen.
: Sorry, but we don’t have the time to wait around. I’m gonna have to make you come clean with us!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Gaiking’s little shield in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q5PU2Mpw3M
And let’s get this one out of the way as well: the DK for Norza’s Giant Cutter combined attack.

: Blah. I wanted to cap off this mission with a win… oh, well. See ya!

: Dealing with you should be up to Team D, but I can’t do anything about that if you’re headed my way!
: They didn’t take the R-Daigun seriously, either. Do you think actually think you’ll do any better?
: It’s you who’s not taking me seriously, but don’t worry. I’m about to give you a crash course on what happens when you do that to Kouji Kabuto!

: The Dancouga isn’t the same one you fought before. If you think thing’ll end as they did back then, you better think again.
: You should be worrying more about yourself than about them, Godannar…!

: Hey, didn’t you break up with the Katou Organization?! You saved the Dancouga from them that one time!
: I did save them, but that doesn’t mean things are as you imagine them to be. It’s that simple…!

: I cannot go down yet! I’ll keep going until I’m 100% sure…!

*The R-Daigun rushes the Dancouga down!*

: …! It’s still really dang fast…!
: You’re mine!

: GAAAAH!
: Is this the best you’ve to offer?! How do you figure you can defend Earth like that?!

: Crap, the Dancouga…!
: You’re done… And what a disappointment it is to see that the Dancouga Nova can’t do any better…
: The thing really is tough as nails…
: Is there just no way for us to win this…?
: We need to do something, or…!
: We’ll end up losers again…
: Don’t give up!
: …!
: We told you before: victory always comes to those who keep fighting, who try ‘til the very last second!
: The moment you let your heart be beaten, is the moment any enemy’ll get the better of you!
: So pull yourselves together! Show the enemy how loud your spirits roar!
: You’re right…
: I don’t want to lose this… not here, not now…!
: I can’t let myself be beaten here…!
: I won’t have it…!
: I don’t wanna be a loser…!
: (What is my purpose in life…? Is it for someone? For something? I still haven’t found anything of the sort… so I can’t let this be the end…!)
: (This isn’t all my life’s meant to be… I’m not dying here… absolutely not!)
: We… we’re not going to lose to you…! We can’t!!

: The Dancouga’s glowing…?!
: Wh-What…?!
: What’s going on…? It's like I'm burning up...!
: My body... and my soul are on fire...!
: Power pouring through from my core...!
: This power...it’s what we've been looking for...!
: HAAAAAAAH!
: Hrm…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpwM-MeE7wE

: Urgh…!
: Alright, they did it!
: Wow… That some crazy power and speed they’ve got…!
: The Dancouga’s… like a wild beast now…!
: A Beast Mode… who’d have thought they had something like that.
: That’s the apex of the Dancouga…!
: Haah… haah… haah…
: Hold on, something’s wrong!
: Are… Are they going to kill the R-Daigun’s pilot…?!
: RAAAAAARGH!

: Kch…
: DON’T!!
: They stopped…?
: Eida… Wh-Why are you…

: Wh-What the…? What were we doing?
: And what form was that...?
: What the hell is the Dancouga…?
: Team D, are you alright? Do you hear me?!
: Y-Yeah, we’re here!
: You look like you’re back in control, but there’re still enemies around. Maybe it’d be best for you to return to the ship for now?
: No, we’re fine…! More than that, actually… There isn’t an enemy that could keep us down now…!
: If you say so, alright… but at least try not to do anything rash.
: Roger that. Come on, people! Let’s go wild!

And the Dancouga Nova’s got a swanky new attack – expensive in EN, but very powerful. Only a handful of stuff left, so we’ll wrap things up quick.

: A very good show, LOTUS. Too bad that victory’s already ours…!

: I never imagined this unit would display dimensional interference abilities of this degree. But no more: you and LOTUS will all meet your end here.
: No, we won’t! We cannot fall until we’ve rescued the professor and saved the world!
: Plus I got a real problem with that weird toy you’ve set at my school, so it’s time to give you what you deserve!

: Struggle as you might, this battle will end in our favor. All you’re doing is wasting your energy.
: Maybe, but I’m piloting an EVA – that means I can’t just give up and do nothing!
: To say nothing of the fact that Misaki is like a second home to me. I’m not letting you destroy it!

: Machinas beyond the Linebarrel are of no consequence to us… and the same also applies to the hybrid.
: Your units weep, for they’re saddled with weak pilots, unable to bring out their actual powers.
: Psh, buddy-boy there’s looking down on us!
: But we won’t let you spread any more violence!
: We just gotta bring down your gumball, and then things’ll turn in our favor!
: You’ll be sorry you ever underestimated us!
: Off we go, folks! Dealing with the Katou Organization’s our bread and butter!

: You’ve successfully mastered the Plasma Drive, and even overwhelmed the combined Mimetic Beast… You’ve made it much farther than I’d ever imagined, Goh Saruwatari.
: Maybe it’s time to give up thinking you can tag where our limits are. We’ll always be reaching beyond whatever line your imagination sets!

: This guy was there during our first failed mission, right? We never fought him straight-up, but I still feel like taking it out on him too…!
: What he said. It wasn’t really his fault, but screw it – we don’t care.
: Team “D” stands for “Dangerous” today. Let’s go and make him painfully aware of it…!

: To call that unit weak would be an understatement. You must be mad to face the Glain-Neidr with it.
: I’ve heard a bunch of talk like that before – usually a few minutes before I shoved my foot up the speaker’s butt! I don’t take sass sitting down, guy!

: Grit your teeth, Katous! This CHAMPION OF JUSTICE’s about to run your evil into the dirt!
: His standards are beyond childish… I was right. The point of us observing him was to…

: I hope you’re not expecting the Glain-Neidr to go down after just that.

: drat it, that fatass is still going?!
: He’s as strong as advertised, huh…!

*Beep!*

: The Hub Dynamo’s already online. Retreat, Masaki.
: My orders were just for you to install the Sphere, I recall.
: I never said anything about eliminating LOTUS, making your current activity absolutely needless. Do stop with it right now, yes?
: … Retreating.

: All enemies are leaving the area.
: Hah, and stay out!
: We somehow managed to keep the town in one piece.
: Same can’t be said about keeping them from setting up that Sphere, though…
: No point in crying over spilt milk. We’re making some headway on our research on the things, mind, so can you guys come back to JUDA on the double?
: Understood. All troops, return to the Daiku Maryu!
: Aye, aye!

Back at Shangri-La, Katou’s taking Masaki to task for trying to destroy LOTUS when that went far beyond the scope of his orders. To say nothing of the fact that Masaki’s offensive ended in failure, too. He says things were going fine, but he didn’t expect the Apparition to interfere. With that, Masaki quickly excuses himself.
Katou seems annoyed, but doesn’t say anything when Reiji asks. Rather, he wants to know how things are going on his end. Smoothly: all of the orbiting Hub Dynamos are confirmed to be receiving energy from the Hub Fountain. Now they just need the Flag to awaken, and the Dimension Peeler can be activated.

It’ll be a little bit before that happens, mind. Katou can’t help but be ruefully impressed with Ishigami: not only the guy made off with the Flag, he saw fit to seal away the key to getting their final operation rolling behind a game in Katou’s computer. He’s in the process of clearing it all to undo the seal. Not that surprising to Reiji, of course, knowing how much the guy fancied his pranks.
Whatever the case, very soon they’ll be able to progress to the last stage. And then…

: Huh…?
: There, I’ve said it… I love you. I always have…!
: But…
: I’m sorry, I—
: You love Kouichi, right?
: Huh?!
: I know, but I wanted to get this off my chest.
: I wanted you to know that there’s another guy who loves you… and I’d be happy if you just remembered that.
: Yajima…

*Nearby…*

: You’re a real man, Yajima…
: ... It feels kinda awkward to be spying on them like this, though...
: Oh, don’t be like that. This is a big moment for our buddy, so how could we not witness it?
: Friendship’s fine and all, but it doesn’t make this any better.
: G-Goh…! W-We were just…!
: Psh… Hurry on up to the Ishigami’s office. Seems they’ve finished their analysis on the Spheres.
: Really?!

From what the JUDA crew’s found, the Katous have set a bunch of other Spheres beyond the ones at Vladivostok and Misaki. They’ve been slowly getting those in place while we weren’t looking, and Tetsuya Kouji isn’t amused.
Now, Sakon originally thought we were dealing with something like a Death Cross Point, but it wasn’t quite that. Rachel says they’ve managed to get confirm their hypothesis with the Misaki Sphere, though. The Spheres spread throughout Earth are part of a system; one that’s meant to interfere with the planet’s gravitational field, triggering a large-scale space-time distortion.

Distortion? A hole in the fabric of space-time, like the one that allowed the Linebarrel to come into our world in the first place. Said distortion’s projected to be 350km wide and form right above Misaki – that is, right above US. Yajima figures what they’re going to do is use that as a gate to bring their army.
When Kouichi asks, he explains that the Katou Organization as a whole is just the spearhead of the Highly Probable World’s invading force. Once the way is open, the entire army’ll come over. The Organization alone is a pain to deal with, and the prospect of an even bigger force isn’t one Sayaka’s happy with.

Right then, AI Ishigami crops up and sees that there is little time remaining. “The world must be kept out of their clutches, so I will now entrust you with the entirety of Project JUDA,” he proclaims.
Data starts pouring into the computers, which Rachel tags as depicting a detailed analysis of the D-S.O.I.L., as well the development of optional equipment based around that. “He kept stuff like this hidden in JUDA’s underground…? Wait, no… this isn’t underground!” Rachel realizes as the ground starts shaking!

Not just – JUDA HQ is going airborne! Yajima asks Kouichi to calm down, and AI Ishigami explains: “This is the true form of Project JUDA… the giant battleship, Flag!” As Johnny notes it, the entire building was camouflage for the thing, as Ishigami needed to keep its presence hidden until the right moment.
Is he implying that the forces from the Highly Probable World are already underway? No, he assures Misato that the Katou Organization will need some time to activate the Dimension Peeler and open the gate in space-time.

That sounds great to Tanaka, who calls in and asks if we couldn’t make a detour for Dragon’s Hive, then. But Aoi likes that he’s on the phone, wanting to ask him about what happened to the Dancouga during the battle.
That’s fine, that’s fine, as they WERE going to discuss the Dancouga once Team D’s back at Dragon’s Hive. Oh, so they’re finally going to get some answers? Yes, but it won’t be from Tanaka… F.S. himself wants to speak to them.

Speaking of, F.S. is very glad that Team D’s finally reached the point where they can unleash the God Beast Mode. They might actually be able to succeed in their plan. His previously-hidden friend, WILL, agrees, noting that Team D and the Dancouga have grown and awakened faster than his predictions.
They may yet bestow humanity with the power it’ll need to oppose “them”… though it is still too soon to say for sure, F.S. notes. They still need to see where Team D stands in all this, which means it’s time to tell them everything about the Dancouga’s true purpose.

Oh, and MajinZenki did a thing over discord:

:allears:

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 3, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does the Mazinger get a lot of flak in these games for being the equivalent of someone showing up to a stock car race in a Model T?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Glazius posted:

Does the Mazinger get a lot of flak in these games for being the equivalent of someone showing up to a stock car race in a Model T?

Nope. My guess is this only happens here because every baddie out there knows Kouji's got a pimped out Bugatti Veyron, which he could be using if SOMEONE would work faster.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

quote:

Soubi and Wufei aren’t around, probably busy discussing the finer details of SEIGI

Had a pretty good laugh at this line.

I really liked the bit where Team D asked other Super Robot pilots for advice, nice little touch that these games provide.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Thanks, Zenki. :staredog:

vvv Edit: fixed.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 8, 2017

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Brunom1 posted:

: A Beast Mode… who’d have thought they had something like that.

*Ruriruri: That’s the apex of the Dancouga…!

: Haah… haah… haah…

I think you're missing a portrait there.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
So right now the only thing keeping an interdimensional army at bay is a Dark Souls save file?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This has absolutely nothing to do with the manga's plot, but I guess that's not going to surprise anyone at this point. What did surprise, and anger, me was seeing that the Katou mooks are AI-controlled, which contradicts the manga so hard I genuinely had to stop reading for a moment.

Also the God Beast Mode just looks terrible in the low-res sprites it got here. Too much detail for this medium.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

This has absolutely nothing to do with the manga's plot, but I guess that's not going to surprise anyone at this point. What did surprise, and anger, me was seeing that the Katou mooks are AI-controlled, which contradicts the manga so hard I genuinely had to stop reading for a moment.

Also the God Beast Mode just looks terrible in the low-res sprites it got here. Too much detail for this medium.

I've of a mind that the God Beast Mode itself is too cluttered. It always struck me as being kind of like when you're a kid, with your Transformers toys, and you flick open every compartment, wing and whatnot as a "super mode".

As for the AI Jinrais, maybe these are special AIs that have learned to :sparkles: imagine :sparkles:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

As for the AI Jinrais, maybe these are special AIs that have learned to :sparkles: imagine :sparkles:

Spoilers for the manga here, The AIs learning to imagine is exactly the reason why Katou's Armas do not have a main computer, and only hold a sub computer with no AI of its own. Machinae have both and that is the main difference between them.

This is because said AI is too good and fully realizes its need to have humans to pilot it. And it can grow smarter, enough to find loopholes to recruit said humans (something they should only do if a human's life is at risk, especially if they're responsible for their deaths). Most importantly though, they can become human if the AI learns to imagine by learning the fear of death, and that is very dangerous because it has already happened, said Human-Machina serve as the final enemy in the manga, at least as far as it is translated.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Spoilers for the manga here

I'll play Devil's advocate a bit: how late in the manga does that reveal come? Maybe it wasn't a known plot point when the anime was being made?

Or maybe they just didn't care, which seems just as likely! :shrug:

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

Brunom1 posted:

MP Jinrai

*twitch*

Oh, sorry. Must've been something in my subconscious. Maybe a repressed memory or two.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Oh, no, not Fuji №1!
But I at least happy that they added it in, even if somewhat late.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
It looks like it was built to fight Godzilla, and is just about as effective as that would imply. Also surprisingly small.

And I don't mind the God beast too much. I agree that it suffers from low-res spritework on the DS. But thematically, I like it. It represents the loss of reason and a reversion to a more primal state. Hence its components all switching to their robot-animal forms. I don't think it is really much of a super-mode, coloring aside. Its mental state can be summed up as 'RIP, TEAR, MURDER, STOMP AND CHOMP'. It is a berserker with no concept of friend-or-foe that will charge and keep charging until it or its prey is down and out, for better or for worse and possibly shows what could happen if Dancouga had been in the hands of a team of equally hot-blooded but not quite as moral pilots.

If I remember right, God Beast is also how Dancouga initially appeared in the first episode. I don't think anything was made of it though. From its first proper appearance until this point, it was shown in its humanoid state.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Here we are at the Space Route. We’ll be keeping this path, so we’ll see how our ace list changes as Kenji and Ichitaka get to wreck stuff without Daiya around.

This first mission only allows for a surprisingly small amount of squads: only 10. Granted, all of the Valkyries and Klan are deploying as event units, so here’s how we’re going:
Ichitaka
Shinn/Luna
Duo/Quatre
Zechs/Yagyuu (I soon regret this choice, swapping her over to Rey’s team and bringing Noin back here)
Kenji/Kyo
Jeeg/Micchi
Voltes/Canaria
Rey/Noin
Combattler/Hilde
Iczer-3/Heine

Off we go.

We open up on the Quarter, and Jeffrey asks if Talia shouldn’t take some time off to rest. She agrees, willing to let Arthur take things over for a bit… though she has a hard time being at ease when we can only sit around and wait for information on Djibril to come in. Well, Jeffrey tells her to have faith in ZAFT and the NUNS, as they’re scouring the whole sector looking for him.
Jeffrey himself would prefer if nothing happened at least for a bit, while the ship’s still getting serviced. True, true, considering the battles we’ll have in the future, it’ll be tough to get another chance to run maintenance like this. And that’s saying nothing on giving our team a chance to get some much needed R&R. Maybe this waiting around isn’t SO bad, Talia reconsiders.
Indeed, haste makes waste. While Jeffrey applauds her dutifulness, she ought to put her feet up once in a blue moon. So she will.

At Island 1, Alto’s not happy that he got conscripted into helping buy groceries during his time off. Tsubaki suggest he not look at it like that, and instead think of it as shopping. Nagisa herself is enjoying being back home after so long, but the same clearly doesn’t apply to the man. And telling him to look at it like “shopping” isn’t helping make it better, either.
Hilde quips that not enjoying shopping won’t help him get along with the ladies, though Alto grunts that he doesn’t care. One thing Quatre notices is that Ranka’s music is playing throughout the area. In fact, it’s been like that since they came to port.

Seems to Ichitaka that the Frontier has Ranka Fever – way more than down on Earth, that’s for sure. Speaking of, Megumi’s heard that the girl’ll be making a live performance at Mihoshi Academy soon. Provided nothing happens, we’ll be able to catch that. Nagisa’s excited for it, as it’ll be hers and Kawai’s first time seeing their friend perform solo.
That’s great, but Juzo tells them to be careful not to jinx it: better pray hard Djibril doesn’t rear his head out of whatever hole he’s hiding in.

Back to the Quarter, Cathy’s brought some unusual info to Ozma: apparently, Ranka’s show today is being sponsored by the Frontier’s Executive branch itself. Her guess is they want to further boost Ranka’s career, as the one whose song can repel the Vajra. A modern Lynn Minmay, Ozma sighs.
He likes that her wish is coming true, but doesn’t care that it’s coming hand-in-hand with her being weaponized in our fight with the bugs. And to further raise questions around this, it seems the whole event was proposed by Mishima.
He was the one who put forward that experiment to use Ranka’s song against the Vajra, and Cathy thinks there’s more to all this than what we’re seeing. Ozma feels the same way, and wants to get to the bottom of it.

Ranka’s getting ready for the show, and while she seems bothered by what’s going on, she’s willing to go with it to make everyone happy. At least she gets some visitors to cheer her up before it all starts. She’s glad to see Klan and Michel again but, of course, what really brightens her day is Alto’s presence.
He asks if she’s not feeling too nervous – singing at her school’s different from her usual gigs. True, she’s a bit nervous, but figures she’ll be fine. She’ll just have fun and sing! Alto likes hearing that, impressed with the professional she’s become – all thanks to him helping her so many times before. And she’ll be working extra-hard out there knowing he’ll be listening.

At that, Michel and Klan nod at each other and suddenly remember that they have a few things they need to take care of real quick. Ranka’s a bit dejected, but understands that they’re busy. But she needn’t be bummed out: they’ll be leaving Alto here to keep her company until the show!
That’s the first Alto’s heard of any of this, but, whoops, too late – gotta go! Klan and Michel promise to be at their seats by the time she steps on stage. Alto grumbles as they leave.

Outside, Klan and Michel groan right back: seems like it didn’t really dawn on Alto WHY they were leaving him there. Seriously, being that dense should be a crime, Michel thinks. “Pfeh, I really don’t think you can say anything about that,” Klan harrumphs.
Michel stops short, but Klan continues. Despite all the myriad ladies he’s been with, he’s never REALLY gotten together with anyone. “Is there no one you really have feelings for, Michel? Is there love, somewhere in your heart?!” Klan demands to know, and Michel can’t answer.

: Hold me to the edge of the galaxy!

: Ranka’s on fire today, huh?
: Yes, she is! There’s this glow in her eyes that I don’t see often…!

*:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:*

: Wow, has it been half the show already?
: She’ll be wearing an outfit you designed for the second half, right, Nanase? How exciting…
: Speaking of excitement, Sheryl, I saw on the news that you were taking some time to rest? Are you well enough to be here?
: She’s right! And I know this is the VIP area, but do you need that disguise…?
: Ssshh. This is Ranka’s show, so I don’t want to stand out. And, as you can see, I’m doing just fine. Relax and have some fun, would you?
: Huh… that’s a lot different from the picture Michel painted. He said you might not be feeling too good, and that I really needed to see you… And here I was, all worried for nothing.
: (Michel and Klan… so they now there’s something wrong with me… but I can’t let him know. That’s why I…)
: Of course – what did you expect? I am Sheryl Nome, after all.

*:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:*

: Oh! The second half’s starting!
: (Are you listening, Alto? Please let my feelings reach you…!)
: That’s a beautiful stage.
: Hey, Sheryl… I heard you’d quit singing. Is that true?
: … It is. I’ve retired…
: But you still want to sing, don’t you…?
: Come, now… Sheryl Nome never says anything that she…

*Thud.*

: Sheryl!
: Don’t worry… I just got a bit dizzy. And, whatever the case, I am not singing any—
: Don’t lie to me, Sheryl. I know you’d never quit singing. You wouldn’t have touched the hearts of so many people if you didn’t love doing this!
: Whenever I got up on stage, I wasn’t really there. So I can tell when someone’s pretending to be something they’re not, and someone who’s the real deal.
: Alto…
: (Huh? There’s someone with Alto… Sheryl? No… no…!)
: (How can you break my heart like this, Alto…? Is she really the one you love?)

*BOOM! Vrrrrr!*

: !!
: That sound was!
: SHYAAAAAAAA!!
: Aaaah!
: That’s… a Stage #2 Vajra larva?! How did it get in Island 1?!
: Save the questions for later! We gotta get back to SMS!

Mission 29 (Space Route) – Triangular

: A new type of Vajra…!
: More important than that is how we now got a fight breaking out in an airtight environment…! This isn’t good, man!
: Worse, some of our units are still repairing, so we won’t have all hands on deck for this!
: There are so many Vajra… Where did they come from…?!
: That’s not the main issue right now! We’ll have to keep them from tearing through the city until Alto and the others come over!

On the other side of town…

: drat, this just keeps getting worse… Transportations down, we got split up with Alto’s group…
: Michel… Are you still not going to give me an answer?
: Huh? What is it now?
: Is there love, somewhere in your heart…?!
: … If there is, it’s currently MIA. I can’t even remember if I ever felt that to begin with.
: I see how it is… You’re a coward…

*Punch!*

: Hm…?!
: I love you, Michel.
: Y-You… Look at what’s happening…!
: I am, which is why I did this! How could I be truly in love if I let something like the fear of death hold me down…?!
: Klan…

And, on that note, let’s shoot some bugs. This mission is a bit of an odd one: there are 30 Vajra larvas to the NW, with more to come, and you have a rather diminished amount of resources. Start sending your folks out thattaway and start blasting – the larvas are pretty frail. That said, don’t go too crazy: you’ll want to leave 8+ of them alive for stuff.
On the flip side, the Vajra Larvas are SS sized, so they’ll be getting better numbers than usual against your guys. Worse, your beefier units will likely have pretty shoddy hit %s against them, so Strike is the name of the game.
Of note is that Ichitaka is loving INVINCIBLE in this mission: the larvas only have one attack, and it’s a Beam weapon which doesn’t hit too hard. In other words, they’ll never get through the Laplace Wall.

Push onwards and, on the next turn…

: Urk!
: Sheryl! You alright?!
: Yes, yes! The shrapnel just grazed me.
: … Ranka, you have to sing! Make the Vajra docile with your song, please!
: Huh… but…
: You’re the only one who can! Please! Our city and everyone in it need your help!
: I’m the only one… Okay, I’ll do it…
: (You tell me that, but she’s the one you’re holding… It hurts… You’ve no idea how much my heart’s hurting, Alto…)

: What the?! The Vajra got all energized?!
: drat it, and they were already tough to deal with before…!
: (What… how…?)

Elsewhere...

: Emotional level: -7.3…
: Is this mess your doing?
: No. I admit that I considered the possibility, but this is an irregular event as far as I’m concerned.
: But it doesn’t matter. How are things going on your end? The plan’s been going so swimmingly… I could lend you a hand with that if you’re feeling uneasy.
: Thank you, but no. I’ll handle it myself. This mayhem could be a bit of divine providence at work, I think…!

: AAAH!!

*Thud.*

: Nanase!
: Ur…gh…
: H-Hang in there! Stay with us!
: Nanase! Sheryl!
: I’ll take her to the shelter! Your job is to keep the city safe – hurry back to the SMS building!
: Hrm… alright! Can you keep up, Ranka?!
: Yes…

: Sorry for the delay, people!
: Ranka’s already safe and sound! Same goes for Nagisa and Kawai, by the looks for things!
: You… You’ve hurt Nanase!

Back at the SMS base…

: How’s my Queadluun doing?!
: It was still undergoing maintenance, so its frame’s pried wide open! We could try reassembling it on a hurry, but…
: drat it, of all the…! Wait, there was a Super Pack stored in the hangar, right?
: Sure, but what use—
: Give it to me! I’m going out with it!

: Klan?! Are you really sure about fighting with that?!
: We’re already short on people as is. Watch my six, Michel!

Can’t lose Michel or Klan here, which is fine as they’re very dodgy. Just don’t let evasion decay bite them in the rear end. With the new gaggle of Vajras to the NE, we’ll have to spread our forces a bit – I’ll have the Rushbird lead the way there since it can’t be damaged. The NW group has the SMS folks, so I’ll only add a few more hands there.

Klan Klang (Super Pack)
Squad Bonus: Critical +10, Mobility +5, Money +10%

And here’s Iczer-5! Klan and her jetpack are rather short on attacks, but she’s got decently powered missiles with 2-7 range, so that’ll do well enough. And unlike Z2.2, this isn’t a one-time thing: Klan can now go out in either this or her Queadluun-Rea for any mission!
One thing you really need to pay attention to is that Klan doesn’t fly too well: only a B rank in air, and that’s a real problem since she deploys in flight! Put her back in the ground ASAP or the Vajra Larvas WILL be getting good numbers on her. Grounded, she is very dodgy, though.
Once she’s landed, she’s pretty much untouchable until the evasion decay really piles up.

And one final thing before we go:

:siren: Secret Alert!
Have Michel kill 8+ enemies. As in, by the time you clear out THIS bunch of Vajras, he needs to have 8+ kills.
Easiest way to do that is to have Luca (my Alto’s too strong – he often crit-kills one with even the Gunpod) pop a chain attack to shave off 50-70% of a pair’s HP, and have Michel follow up for two kills. Do that four times, and you’ll be good.

Here we go.

: You’re not hurting Island 1 or any other of the people I love! I’m not having it!

: Fighting and dying are things only soldiers should be doing! You’re not killing any more of the Frontier’s civs on my watch!

: Ranka’s song isn’t working on them, so we’ll have to handle this ourselves! You bugs can go straight to Hell!

: What’s wrong, Mr. Bug?! Why’re you angry?!
: But I still need to get Nagisa back… I’m sorry!

: There’re shelters all over this area! It’s only a matter of time before those get damaged – we need to get rid of these things quick!

: Are there any people who haven’t run off yet?! This all went down so suddenly…!
: About 90% should already have evacuated safely! We should hurry to make sure the remaining 10% are also fine!

Every once in a while comes a mission where all stars align in Ichitaka’s favor, and this is one of them. By the end, he’ll have taken a total of 11 kills, and that’s only because I held him back after a point – the Rushbird can solo this whole thing with just its Lightning Fist and absorbing EN.

: drat it, how did a screw-up like this happen?! We haven’t had Vajra managing to get inside Island 1 since first contact!

: This isn’t the time to lose your head – calm down…! Calm down and push the bugs back…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNYfYtR3DO8

: What the hell… Did the Vajra manage to build a nest inside the Frontier? I can’t think of any other explanation for this!

: Rrrgh, these’re ever smaller and quicker than the ones we fought before…! And there’s a ton of them, to boot!
: Just point us in the right direction, Hyouma! I’ll get you a lock!

It was as I was killing the last survivors that I came to realize that I REALLY wanted Rey to be able to MAPW aerial targets, so I went and swapped his and Zechs’ squadmates around.

Much better.

: Yeesh, how many of them are there?!
: We have to do something, or there’ll be no way for anyone to live here…!
: SHYAAAAAAA!

*The Vajra rushes Klan down!*

: drat—!
: KLAN!!

Michel: Zentran or no, she’s out there in the flesh…!

Michel: K-Klan… I’ll… protect… you!

: Michel?!
: Hey… Alto. When you really love someone… you’re ready to risk your life for them… right…?
: Michel…!
: Sorry, Klan… that I couldn’t say this ‘til now… But I… I also…
: Mi…Michel…?
: I love you…

: Aah…! AAAAAAAAAH!
: Th-This has to be a sick joke… Michel! MICHEEEEEEL!!

*Beep! Secret Achieved!*

: Hrgh…! Quit yelling… I hear you just fine…
: Michel! You’re alive?!
: Just barely… I really thought I was a goner there… which loosened my tongue a bit too much…
: Argh, you idiot! If you actually do love me, then you can’t just die like that!
: Kch… You’re such a slavedriver… God, this hurts…
: Don’t talk anymore, Michel! Do whatever you can for your wounds – we’re sending people your way!
: Aye, aye… I’ll be waiting…!
: In the meantime, we’ve to clear out the remaining Vajras in Island 1 and keep the people safe!
: Yes, sir! We’ll wrap this up in a hurry!

In a hurry, indeed, because I’ve officially ran out of patience. So I have everyone bunch up at Mihoshi and hold back for just a few turns…

Perfect.

That’s precisely 30 kills for Rey, and not a drop of regret on my part (especially because I used Bless).
And it's just hit me that this is the second game in a row where a Toshihiko Seki character becomes my go-to "gently caress this" tactic.

: (What’s going on…? I shouldn’t have any memories of my childhood… so why does this look so familiar…?)
: (That’s right… someone helped me before! What happened was… hrm… I can’t remember…!)

Anything that wasn’t inside this AoE gets wrecked, and we’re done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNECbtp60y4

: We’ve managed to bring down all the Vajras that entered the ship…!
: Now we just need to deal with the ones surrounding the fleet!
: What…?! There’re more outside?!
: Yes, Brera and the fleet’s forces are currently engaging them. They won’t last by themselves, though. We need to get out there and provide support!
: So he’s fighting too… Roger that!

: I see you’re safe, Mr. President.
: Oh, Mishima? We’ve already finished transferring all governmental functions to the Battle Frontier. All that remains is leading the offensive from there.
: Much appreciated. Now, if you would, I, Leon Mishima, shall take those duties upon myself…

*Door opens.*

: Father, get away from him!
: Cathy?! What are you doing here?!
: Oh, dear, we’ve some uninvited guests… but I’m afraid you’re too late.

*Bang!*

: Wh—…!

*Dead.*

: F-FATHER!!
: Mishima…!
: Your father is gone, Cathy. And I fear I must now call off our engagement.
: You… how could you!
: Much as it pains me, I cannot afford to leave witnesses… Get them!
: Yes, sir…!

*:tfrxmas:*

: You’re not getting rid of us that easy!

*Punch!*

: Urgh!
: Cathy, run!

*Door closes, and they run off!*

: Tsk… After them! Don’t let them escape!

: Stay strong… Alto and his friends will save us, I’m sure…
: Why is any of this happening…? Couldn’t Ranka’s song stop the Vajra?
#1: Rrgh, drat that aide… I thought that story was too good to be true!
#2: If only we’d made it to pilots, we…!

quote:

: Don’t lie to me, Sheryl. I know you’d never quit singing. You wouldn’t have touched the hearts of so many people if you didn’t love doing this!
: (Singing, huh…? Could I still touch their hearts?)

:siren: L doesn’t have this song, but screw it! :siren:

: Kami-sama ni koi wo shiteta koro wa… ♪
: … Sheryl? It’s Sheryl Nome!
: What a beautiful song…
: (I might not be able to be a symbol of hope like Ranka. But, still, I’ll carry on singing even as despair spreads around me.)
: (All so my song can touch and bring joy to the hearts of these people…!)

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 13, 2017

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Well now, this was a nice thing to get off work to.

I like how almost zero effort Michel's scene is, just play the original scene as straight as possible, but add in a "bee tee dubs, still alive" after the fact. :v:

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...

Alacron posted:

Well now, this was a nice thing to get off work to.

I like how almost zero effort Michel's scene is, just play the original scene as straight as possible, but add in a "bee tee dubs, still alive" after the fact. :v:

The fact that's it as embarrassing to Michel as possible is great.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
I'm more in awe at the cross-compatibility of Macross-tech. Sure, just strap on those booster-packs and grab that rifle and you're good to go. Is this a standard design feature? In case you're out of planes, our super-packs are also usable by giants.

How would the controls work without the cockpit's interface? The gun just needs a physical trigger, but the backpack is going to need a special hookup as humans, even giant ones, don't come with plugs and sockets in their backs last time I checked.
In a sense, Klan grabbing Valkyrie equipment instead of a grunt version of her usual ride comes across as just as random as Michel's 'By the way, not dead.' At least it served as a decent reminder that Zentradi are as big as a giant robot.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

maninthesuit posted:

I'm more in awe at the cross-compatibility of Macross-tech. Sure, just strap on those booster-packs and grab that rifle and you're good to go. Is this a standard design feature? In case you're out of planes, our super-packs are also usable by giants.

How would the controls work without the cockpit's interface? The gun just needs a physical trigger, but the backpack is going to need a special hookup as humans, even giant ones, don't come with plugs and sockets in their backs last time I checked.
In a sense, Klan grabbing Valkyrie equipment instead of a grunt version of her usual ride comes across as just as random as Michel's 'By the way, not dead.' At least it served as a decent reminder that Zentradi are as big as a giant robot.

Well Valkyries were designed to be just as big as Zentraedi in the first place. And I'd guess her suit has inteface stuff for her mech. But yeah, having it work for the super pack is kind of random.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

maninthesuit posted:

Fair is fair. After all, Max had his Valkyrie put on Zentradi uniforms and hats as a goddamned disguise in the original series :allears:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Listen, if you make a removable rocket pack for your jets, and you got giant people walking about, why WOULDN'T you make it wearable by them? That's just good design!

Then again, her B rank in air might be indicative that Klan isn't putting the thing to its intended use.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017

Section Z posted:

Fair is fair. After all, Max had his Valkyrie put on Zentradi uniforms and hats as a goddamned disguise in the original series :allears:

Note to self, put the original Macross on the watch-list. That sounds hilarious.

Brunom1 posted:

Then again, her B rank in air might be indicative that Klan isn't putting the thing to its intended use.

I think that it's because she isn't wearing the rest of the VF-25 (why do I keep calling it the Valkyrie?). Ultimately, the super pack is an add-on meant to help out an already fully functional machine. It's not really balanced or designed to maneuver on its own. The VF-25 has jets and control surfaces spread out all over to enable aerial acrobatics. Without those, Klan can't do much more than shift her body-weight and try to get the big boosters on the super pack to point in the right direction. In other words, she can go fast in a straight line, but her ability to meaningfully turn is atrocious. At least that's what I think just by looking at the sprite. I'd have to actually hunt down the show to see how she really handled it.

Edit: Oh, and I suppose she's stuck in Battroid form. That one isn't exactly optimized for air-combat to begin with.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
If we use Gundam logic, her AMBAC maneuvering should be unparalleled.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

maninthesuit posted:

Note to self, put the original Macross on the watch-list. That sounds hilarious.

If more "Absurdly good pilot" characters followed Maximilian Jenius example, we'd have half the melodrama and twice the 'He just did loving what?' :v:

His goddamned name is "Max Genius", and he gets away with it.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Section Z posted:

If more "Absurdly good pilot" characters followed Maximilian Jenius example, we'd have half the melodrama and twice the 'He just did loving what?' :v:

His goddamned name is "Max Genius", and he gets away with it.

It's still upsetting to me that him leaving the Battle 7 command position wasn't optional in Alpha 3. C'mon, it's the franchise-ending fanservice extravaganza, give me the option to swap him back in and have Battle 7 dodge tank maps!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, fun little bit of trivia with this secret: it is possible to have Michel kill 8 or more Vajra and still fail to get the secret. See, the way the secret works in the game code is that it does internally track the number of kills Michel during this mission. However, if either Michel has too many kills (read: 992 or more kills) or you're using a cheat code that locks kill counts to a fixed number, Michel will still die because the internal counter never hit the magic number that's required to save him. And yes, 992 is the limit for failure as the game maxes out at 999 kills for a pilot, thus Michel dies due to simple mathematics.

Also, welcome to the majesty that is the tag team of Legend Gundam and Build Angel, Brunom. It really gets the job done, especially in the next stage on this route.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't imagine a single better way to handle Michel's survival than "ugh, I'm loving fine, stop shouting, geez". That was marvelous, perfectly in-character while being mood-breaking in a funny way.

...Admittedly, I may think this only because I really did not like him dying in Frontier.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can't imagine a single better way to handle Michel's survival than "ugh, I'm loving fine, stop shouting, geez". That was marvelous, perfectly in-character while being mood-breaking in a funny way.

...Admittedly, I may think this only because I really did not like him dying in Frontier.

Coincidentally, neither did anyone else, which is why he survives in every subsequent Frontier showing in SRW. I think they may have retconned in his survival in the movies, but I haven't actually watched those to be sure.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Back at the Earth route, no need to check the Top Aces since we’ve decided to keep Michel alive. Not a whole lot of money from the last mission, but I did use it all giving our secondary units a boost in HP, Armor, and whatnot, to keep them from being too flimsy.

The Dancouga’s still an event unit, so we’re pretty much the same as before:
Ichitaka/Miu
Domyoji/Jack
Daiya/Deceive
Norza/Lee
Dick/Puria
Goh/Anna
Ken/Lou
Tetsuya/Yanma
Shinji/Yajima
Kouji/Rei
Asuka/Boss
Yamashita/Shizuru
Kouichi/Mira

At Shangri-La, Vladimir’s bidding Katou farewell. She does appreciate his help, as it allowed the Dancouga to awaken – now she and her fellows can carry on with their own plan. Katou is very understanding, knowing that it’s all necessary to stand up to a certain group. As the call ends, he tells her to give his regards to “him”, and Vladimir hopes his plan’ll also proceed smoothly.
Vladimir (and, likely, the R-Daigun) blast away, and Katou tells Reiji that neither of the ladies had any reason to share in their battles anymore. Regardless, Katou knows time is running short, so they ought to also start advancing with their own project.

Cut to the Cthulhu Fortress, Iczer-2 is up and about. And despite having just returned to active duty, she’s already given Iczer-3 a major beating on the other path. 2 was stopped just short of killing the girl, but knows she can end someone as weak as her at any time – with or without control over Nagisa’s powers.
Neos Gold is very impressed with her mother’s warrior, and asks if Iczer-2 wouldn’t be willing to take on another assignment…

Meanwhile, our people have just arrived at the Dragon’s Hive – hidden on an island only a scant few people in LOTUS and the UN were even aware existed, Lulu adds. O-G’s still around, and extends a warm welcome to Ru. Seimi trails right behind, and it’s been ages since she and Team D saw each other face-to-face.
Her figure has Domyoji blown away, and Kouichi can’t well argue with the guy’s assessment – he even feels his heart beating faster! Goh knows what that’s like, right? D-Don’t bring him into this, as he’s already trying hard enough to keep his gaze under control. Anna doesn’t appreciate it, and while Goh stammers that his eyes moved on impulse, Emi is still very disappointed with everyone. They’re all despicable!

Seimi has a giggle at our lively posse, but figures we’re to thank for the Dancouga displaying that kind of power in the last battle. And Sakuya’ll admit it, saying it was our advice that allowed them to push the bot into the mode. The Dancouga also deserves its share of praise, of course.
It’s pretty clear to Seimi that the team has changed a lot over this period of time – like so many have already noted, Johnny sees. But it’s true, as she remembers they kept this sort of wall around their hearts, and never really let their spirit run free. Now they’re just beaming with energy, and she’s so impressed with them.
Before she can give Aoi one of her painful hugs, Tanaka comes in and beckons everyone.

He leads us to the command center, and while Misato wants to know why we were called here, Tanaka explains that while he has the title of Commander, he’s not actually the one running the whole show. Meaning it’s that F.S. guy, Tetsuya asks? Indeed, and we’ll hear it all from him.
F.S. – Fog Sweeper – steps in and Aoi immediately demands him come clean about what the Dancouga’s about. That’s fine, though F.S. notes that we apparently have an unexpected visitor. It’s Isabelle Cronkite, who’s very surprised at how easily she managed to break into the base.
F.S. explains that he disabled security, figuring that she’s also earned the right to hear everything – out of respect for her fearless zeal in uncovering and reporting the truth about the Dancouga.

Why now? Because, says the suddenly appearing Vladimir, now the Dancouga and the R-Daigun have gained the strength needed for us to emerge victorious. Tanaka introduces her as the commander of the R-Daigun team, but the bot’s pilot is yet to arrive. She’s stayed at their home base to check on the Daigun’s repairs, but will be coming over as soon as can be.
So, how about those answers? And Kurara would like an explanation on what Vladimir just said about the Dancouga and R-Daigun, too. Very well, F.S. will talk: first off, the Dancouga was built with the singular purpose of safeguarding all life on this planet. With that in mind, the bot needed to collect and study combat data from various sources in order to grow.

And that is why, Johnny surmises, he had them take part in all these battles, R-Daigun included? Indeed, so that it could evolve to even greater heights… and also to gather vital data from humans and all myriad lifeforms across the world. As for why the bot’s been prolonging conflict since before the War of Giants, F.S. says it was done in accordance to his investors’ orders, as a way to keep them none the wiser.
What Daiya wants to know is why the Dancouga would be collecting that vital data, and F.S. says it was all to defend the life for this world against two things: the Angels, and WILL. What’s a WILL?

And WILL materializes to explain about that: he is, as F.S. puts it, an inorganic life form and ONE of many WILLs out there. He and his peers have stood as the observers of all organic life before this universe even came to be, and as WILL observed humanity’s emergence and growth throughout the ages, he felt the boundless potential within us.
However, another of his kind was on the moon – the aptly named Moon WILL – deemed that there was no place in the universe for our kind (a process that has been done to many other civilizations before). In other words, the guy wants to wipe out humanity.
“And that is precisely why we cannot allow you to fight Moon WILL,” F.S. adds. What? WILL explains to Aoi that Moon WILL has control of the so-called Original Dancouga. They based the Nova on it, and its power is beyond compare to anything we’ve faced before. It is a machine made solely for combat, while our Dancouga is, first and foremost, a means to make sure the vital data of this world survives.

That is the reason why they also had it fight and learn from collected combat data throughout all these years: to help it develop the strength needed to protect the seeds of all life, human included, that lie in its data banks. Misato sees that the thing is like Noah’s Ark, built in the eventuality Earth was destroyed.
Seems to Isabelle that she was right to doubt that the Dancouga would be this world’s savior. If anything, F.S. wants us to understand that they can’t send us into a battle that they know we’ll lose.

Asuka and Shinji don’t like this one bit: they’ve fought all those Angels to keep humanity safe, and now F.S. wants them to just give up and wait for our world to be destroyed? “What have we all fought for all this time, then?!” Shinji asks. And Aoi follows up: “You won’t even give us a chance to try and fight for our lives…?! We’ve already fought to get to this point, and we’re already set to keep going all the way!”
What do we care about this Moon WILL guy? Sakuya says we’ll just kick his rear end one way or another! And while Goh isn’t outright rejecting their plan, we have been, and still are, fighting to protect the lives of all those living in THIS world.
We keep on going, struggling as hard as we can for as long as we have a shot of winning. “But how can this end with anything but you getting beaten, when you won’t even try to do anything?” Ichitaka argues.

F.S. understands how we feel, but the enemy’s power is far more than what we can currently oppose. Aoi still isn’t convinced, but the alarm signals a newer problem on the horizon: we have enemies headed this way. The SDF has reported them as Cthulhu forces, and tried to intercept them with the Fuji #2… which promptly got trashed as well.
Seems we’ll have to decide what to do about Moon WILL after these guys are dealt with. And as everyone runs off to deploy, F.S. ponders: “They now know the truth, and still they are determined to face Moon WILL…”
It proves to WILL how tough our people are, and he figures F.S. expected us to react like that. Still, that changes not the fact that we stand no chance against this enemy… right now, at least.

Mission 30 (Earth Route) – Transcendent Evolution

: Hmph, is that all…?

: And there you are… LOTUS.
: It’s… the Iczer-Σ!
: Gah, meaning that scary broad’s back in action?!
: I am, but, unfortunately, you lot will have to be permanently out of commission. That way my sister will come and fight me in earnest!
: Keep your heads on a swivel, everyone! The Iczer-Σ’s looking to be even stronger than before!
: Yes, ma’am! We’ll kick them out in a hurry!

Again with the Cthulhu, and the same tactics still apply. Iczer-2’s as dangerous as always, but we’ve fought her enough that we can handle that, despite the stat boost. Better still, a whole bunch of our guys now know Valor, so her HP pool won’t last at all.
Just don’t lose a ship or the Dancouga, which isn’t likely anyway.

Nothing happens on the first turn as we all start closing in. When turn two rolls around…

*Beep, beep!*

: We’ve got an enemy force approaching our airspace! This signal…
: It’s the Pretender…?!

: Kiriyama… but I’m sure I—!
: He survived…?!
: Well, how do you do, LOTUS… and Kouichi Hayase! It’s been ages!
: You really humiliated me back then, but, today, my justice… jus…tice… j u s t i c e…
: The hell…? What’s wrong with him?
: What… What am I feeling…?
: Oh, yeess… Today, I’ll make the whole world…
: Acknowledge mine and Reiji’s justice…!
: His… His D-S.O.I.L. rate has broken past 300%?! That’s impossible...!
: You and your false justice… will all vanish…!
: (He is only after LOTUS, it seems. I might as well make use of this.)
: I am righteous – just …! Me, and only me…! This world needs no one else’s justice…!

Pretender, a.k.a. Deceive IV (Eiji Kiriyama)
Pilot Skills:
Machina-Human L7 – you have no idea how much restraint it took not to call this Humachina, Manchina or something silly like that. But I DID say I’d stick to established terms…
Sword Cut
Break Morale Limit
Prevail L8
Support Attack L3
Attack Combo L3

Oh, Kiriyama… someone in the anime team really didn’t like you, I guess. Still, the guy was dangerous before and he’s even worse now.
First and foremost, the Machina-Human skill not only give a passive HP regen (20% at L7), it also provides a free boost to his accuracy, evasion and crit rates (+15% at L7). This guy was dodgy and accurate before, so you can guess how his numbers’ll look now.
The Pretender also got significant stat and power boosts across the board – Kiriyama’s huge Prevail and Break Morale Limit will only further bolster its effectiveness. So my advice to you is to not give him the chance to pull anything: save a couple of Valors, lure him in and BLAST him off your hair before he can do some real damage.
And be mindful that he still has his Nerve Cracker missiles and his new strongest attack will apply armor down.

He and his MP Jinrais will take a couple of turns to get here, so in the meantime we’ll build up morale while clearing the Dilos.

Once you wreck about 70%-ish of the Dilos…

: You appear to be struggling, warrior of the Cthulhu.
: You’re that Moon WILL with whom Neos allied herself, hm?
: That’s RIIIiiiiight! And I shall AAASSIIiist you! In order to eradicate these OORGANICSSsss!
: We’re detecting a powerful energy reaction from the Moon! It’s headed this way…!
: What did you say…?!

: It’s those things we saw at Neo Tokyo 3…!
: We’ve run out of time. They are Moon WILL’s vanguard.
: Hmph... So, as it turns out, the vaunted enemy is one we’ve bested in the past.
: No, that’s not the case! These readings I’m getting… these are on a wholly different league from the ones that appeared in Neo Tokyo 3!
: Whatever, we’ll trash the all the same! If we don’t, Earth… all our friends will…!

*Aoi charges after the lead Regulus.*

*And she gets blasted back.*

: UWAAH!!
: Aoi!
: Oho… not bad at all. Let us see the extent of your servants’ prowess, then.

: Kch…
: Absolute Hurricane…!

: That attack was…!

: You’re not destroying the Dancouga!
: The R-Daigun! It helped us?
: I am here to also fulfill my duty as the R-Daigun’s pilot…!
: Eida…!
: Wha… Wait, huh?! The R-Daigun’s pilot is…!
: Sorry, autographs will have to wait until later…! Now we take the fight to the Cthulhu and Moon WILL’s troops!
: Y-Yeah!
: Yesterday’s enemy is today’s friend, huh? Let’s get to it, then, Eida…!
: Aye, aye!

Can’t lose Eida either, but the R-Daigun is just as solid as the Dancouga itself.

R-Daigun (Eida Rossa)
Pilot Skills:
Sword Cut
Counter
Prevail L5
Support Attack L1
Support Defense L1
Attack Combo L1
Spirit Commands:
Assail
Sense
Accelerate
Lucky
Squad Bonus: Mobility +5, EN +50, A rating in Air

Eida’s a pretty good pilot with the perfect spirit list for what she’s meant to do. The R-Daigun hits hard, the ability to fly is as useful as ever (especially paired with Accelerate), and, of course, a few other things… but that’s for later.

Carrying on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrpBKdztMyg
And now we can finally see the DK of her attack. Like Kiriyama’s posse, the Regulus are a bit distant, so we’ll keep on bashing the Cthulhu.

She wasn’t coming, so I came to her. Maybe I should’ve held off since I think she adds a couple extra lines to following scenes…

: Come… Let us see how much your strength has grown during my slumber…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_h1vPOqy08
Hey, here’s that one attack I could never get her to use before!

And, boom!

: Hrm… So I will truly struggle to crush them so long as I’m lacking a partner? Nagisa… you will be mine, this I swear!

: drat it, she got away!
: However, I sensed that she wasn’t facing us with her all. Rather, it felt like she was using this bout simply as a warm-up.
: She faced us as a warm-up? Does that mean Iczer-1 is the only one she is truly after?

Kiriyama and the Regulus should reach you at the same time, which can make things a bit harry. All things considered, you should focus on the former group, while setting someone beefy up (Daiya) as a distraction of the latter. You’ll see why in a bit.

: These guys really are tough as nails…! We gotta get rid of that Moon WILL before more of these start turning up!

First and foremost, they all got a major HP boost. You’ll want to focus-fire them even more than before.

Clever girl… At least I’ll get to show off his strongest move.

: Anyone who stands against me’ll crumble to dust! The enemies of justice will be eliminated with extreme prejudice!
: Righteousness is with me! I AM JUSTICE GIVEN FLESH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Gx36Ebaz4

Couple more hits from Tetsuya, Daiya and Shinji, and he’s ready.

: We’ve gathered enough data. Retreat, Kiriyama…
: No, not yet! JUSTICE will not flee when faced with evil…!
: Retreat. That’s an order.
: Or…der… Roger… retreating…

: Eiji Kiriyama… What the hell happened to him…?

Now clip the rest of the Jinrais, as you don’t need them converging on someone and boosting evasion decay for the Regulus.

Now, let’s start wrecking the Regulus…

: What?! They regenerated…?!
: And it wasn’t just the one we defeated…! All of them recovered at the same time!
: Psh, and they think that will be enough to beat us?
: You listening, Moon WILL?! You’re not breaking us with that!
: Forward, everyone!

Strap in, folks, we’re in for the long haul. As before, go after ONE at a time – doesn’t matter which.

: You can send whatever weapons you want, Moon WILL, we’re not bailing on this fight!
: And we’ll be showing up on your doorstep real soon, just you wait!

: Something about their faces is really pissing me off...!
: Yeah, it’s like they’re laughing at us.
: But they won’t be for long! Get a load of this, Moon WILL!

: They’ve got that Original Dancouga stashed away in their evil lair…!
: So we can’t let these random mooks give us a hard time!

: Do you think we need to beat them all at the same time…?
: Or maybe only one’s actually real, and we gotta trash that guy?
: No, from the readings we’re getting, they’re not sharing any energy with each other. All of them are real, individual units.
: drat it, then we’re just gonna have to keep going ‘til we can’t no more!

: We can’t run away…! If we did, that’d really be the end for everything!

: How about we toss that family maxim by the wayside for today and just get right in these things’ faces? I really don’t care to show them my back…!
: Now we know who the enemy we gotta take down really is…!
: Come what may, however strong they might be, we’ll keep Earth safe from Moon WILL! That’s all that matters!
: Kurara, Sakuya, Johnny! I’m taking us in!

: Aah, ENOUGH already! No one asked for an encore!
: Emi, have you found any clues that’d let us beat these robots?
: I’m sorry, but…
: Fine, bring it…! We’ll wreck them again and again and again until they can’t regen anymore!
: Are we going, F.S….?
: Yes… I’m willing to take a chance on all the potential humans have…

: Just because you’ve been observing Earth since forever doesn’t give you the right to just call for humanity’s destruction!
: No one has that right!

: All this time, I’ve waited… waited for the day I’d fight against Moon WILL, side-by-side with the awakened Dancouga!

: What does this Moon WILL take humanity for…? How can he deem that there’s no place for humans in the universe?!
: I guess I can kinda see what set him off… I mean, Earth’s got a bunch of folks like Logos prowling about.
: Ichitaka…!
: STILL, that doesn’t mean he gets to come out and say “everyone dies”! I’m not taking it!
: Come on, Alice! First we’ll get rid of these guys, and then it’s straight off to rain on that guy’s parade!

FIVE! TIMES!

: And they keep on trucking…!
: How are we supposed to win this, Misato…? At this rate, we…!
: Quit your whining, Stupid Shinji! You wanna go back to being just Daddy’s Boy?!
: But things are looking bad! Seriously bad!
: Is this the power Moon WILL has...?!
: What do we do, Misato…?
: We might not have a choice but to sound a temporary retreat…
: Hey, hold the phone! We can’t just run off and leave them free to go!
: Yeah… If we ran, there’d be no one to stop them!
: Kouji, Daiya…
: Right… There’s got to be something for us to try! We’re not losing this… we can’t!
: Indeed, Aoi… Failure is not an option!
: F.S….?!
: Rise and stand tall, Dancouga and R-Daigun…!

*RUUUUMBLE!*

: Hrm?! What vibrations are these…?
: It’s… coming from the Dragon’s Hive…?!

: This is the true shape of our base, the Dragon’s Hive.
: The base itself as one huge battleship…!
: Keep at it all the way, guys! We know you can win this!
: Team D, and LOTUS! Surely this isn’t all your strength amounts to!
: You…!
: Show me, heroes of the Dancouga… Show me that you can truly be this world’s saviors…!
: Saviors of the world, eh… Sounds like a good deal!
: From regular salaryman to savior… That’s quite the leap, but I don’t mind it.
: We can’t let these monsters steal away everyone’s future!
: Come on, Aoi. The Dancouga… rather, we still have plenty of energy to fight with!
: Right on. Let this Moon WILL, and whoever else feels like it, step right up! We’re never letting ourselves be beaten…!

: The Dancouga and R-Daigun are glowing…?!
: It’s like my whole body’s on fire… Pretty intense, but pretty nice too…!
: The time has come… Now is when the Dancouga shall truly awaken!
: Transcendence Mode, activate!

: Wha…?! These letters are…!
: You will evolve… beyond men, beasts… beyond the gods themselves, to reach your ultimate form!
: Roar, Aoi! Call out its name! Keyword: M-A-X-G-O-D! Dancouga Max God!
: Let’s go wild!
: Keyword: M-A-X-G-O-D!

: Dancouga! Max God!

: That’s… the ultimate form of the Dancouga…!
: D-Dude, that’s siiick…! The Dancouga and the R-Daigun combined…!
: And with all this power in our hands… Come on, guys!
: Aye, aye! Grit your teeth, silverware!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1oY-IKLdm8

: !!

*Explosions on all surviving Regulus!*

: The enemy’s unknown regeneration has stopped! It looks like backlash from the major damage they took caused it to malfunction!
: We did it…!
: Hell, yeah, Dancouga!
: We’ve got this now! One last push, people! Let’s run these mooks into the dirt!

Dancouga Max God
50% Squad Bonus: Crit rate +20, Armor +150, Mobility +15, Movement +1

Take the Dancouga, make it better in every conceivable way, and you get this. The original bot’s firepower was starting to lag behind a bit, so now it makes up for it by being one of the strongest (non-cheating) bots in the game. You say Dancougas are often glass cannons? Not in L – this bot was hard to kill before, now it is nigh impossible.
And it can do pretty much anything, even dodge reliably thanks to the S ranks it has on earth and space. EN cost is a bit hefty, of course, but that’s what EN-Save is for. If we’ve the deployment slots to spare, it could be worthwhile to set, say, Anna and Eida as their separate teams, so that we can have Goh and Aoi keep a resupplying squaddie even after combining.
Whatever the case, the Max God is pretty good.

And now! We! KIIIIIIILL!

And done.

: Our energy stores are unbelievable…! So this is the Dancouga Max God…!
: Who’d have thought the bot had a secret like this tucked away…!
: We can absolutely push back Moon WILL’s vanguard with this…!
: They’ve already lost – they just don’t know it yet.
: We just have to show it to them, then! They’ll get a taste of the full power of a warrior that’s transcended men, beasts and the gods themselves!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i7tGlfLE34

: It’s over…
: Yes… We’ve beaten Moon WILL’s forces…!
: Yes, we did… It’s a total win for us!
: That said, to think our two units could actually combine with one another…
: You didn’t know, Eida?

: They’ve grown so much in such a short period of time… astounding.
: I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t just as surprised… Still, this is the strength humans possess.
: And that is precisely why I rejected the eradication of mankind. The boundless diversity of your kind, the overwhelming might of your individuals… all of which has the potential to push you to newer, greater heights…
: They’ve done very well today… We might have a chance now.
: We might, yes… These people could possibly prevail…

Back to Shangri-La, apparently Masaki didn’t clear things with Katou before deploying Kiriyama – it was all to gather data on their opponents, see.
Masaki figures the boss understands that that’s a necessity in their bid to carry out their objective. He slowly concurs, but still seems ill at ease.

Outside, Soubi can hear the talk at the bridge and Yulianne tells what happened. Sawatari’s surprised to hear that, as Kiriyama sure as hell wasn’t in any condition to be doing anything yet.
Not the first time Masaki’s gone against Katou’s orders, either, as was shown during his previous offensive when installing the Sphere. Soubi thinks it might be good to keep a close eye on the guy.
Wufei’s listening in quietly, but inwardly he thinks: “Will you make it in time, LOTUS…”

Seimi was very much impressed with the Dancouga folks drawing out strength from one another – that’s the mark of a good team. And while it still sounds a bit weird to Aoi, she appreciates the praise regardless. Isabelle herself is now a firm believer in the Dancouga as a savior of mankind, and Sakuya swears we’ll make good on it.
Indeed, Aoi declares to F.S. that they’ll be taking the fight to Moon WILL and any other enemy that shows up – no matter how strong. He won’t try to stop them anymore, entrusting the future of Earth to us… and, furthermore, the Dragon’s Hive is officially travel alongside LOTUS (Only the ship isn’t an actual unit, but hey). Should the need arise, F.S. and WILL will help in any way they can.
In any case, Lulu is very much impressed with the strength of the new Dancouga, but Daiya says power isn’t all it’s got. Just the sight of the bot’s pilots fighting got his flame burning hotter – same for Kouichi! “Combining with your Rival Bot is just a beautiful, beautiful, turn of events!”

Speaking of unforeseen turn of events, Shizuru’s still shocked to find out who was piloting the R-Daigun. It really is worldwide idol Eida Rossa, the one who’s been hounding the Dancouga all this time to get them to awaken. As it turns out, the reason she had to back down on that movie deal way back when was due to her getting a mission.
As for why the R-Daigun spent all that time missing, it was due to the Dancouga joining LOTUS. F.S. and the others saw the remarkable growth the bot and the team were doing with us, so there wasn’t as much need for them to fight the Daigun. Though, as Vladimir puts it, WILL had it happen again as a way to trigger the Dancouga’s awakening.
But whatever the reasons, Eida is still very sorry for everything she did to them… but Aoi says it’s all water under the bridge. As she mentioned before, yesterday’s enemy is today’s friend, and not only were they actually on the same team all along, Eida also seems to be close with Johnny. That makes things easy for her.

Eida’s really grateful, and with that done, there’s a very important matter left unattended: autographs! Kouichi wants one, and Anna’ll take two (one for Nagisa Kanou, once she’s back), as does Ichitaka – she’ll show it to everyone at school once he goes back! Hey, Kouichi asked first!
Asuka groans at the idiot fanboys, but Yamashita figures that attitude’s a good feature of them. His attention’s diverted by an incoming mail, though… it’s from Reiji.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 15, 2017

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
MAXGOD is probably one of my favorite names for a Super Mode. It's just so... :black101:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Materant posted:

Coincidentally, neither did anyone else, which is why he survives in every subsequent Frontier showing in SRW. I think they may have retconned in his survival in the movies, but I haven't actually watched those to be sure.

The movies have him survive, yeah. At least, I believe so, I haven't watched them either. I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like him dying, in the year where every mecha series seemed to really want to kill their snipers.

And about the current update...insert usual "this isn't at all how things went in the manga what the gently caress Linebarrels anime" post here. I can't even be bothered to write my rage at this point, just know that nothing even remotely fits with the manga right now, to the point that one important term seems to mean exactly the opposite of what it does in the manga. Apart from that...

Brunom1 posted:

Once you wreck about 70%-ish of the Dilos…[/i]

Broken i tag here.

quote:

: Come on, Ai. The Dancouga… rather, we still have plenty of energy to fight with!

Unless I'm forgetting someone here, that's probably Aoi.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And now we have one of the major sticking points (well, two technically) from the Linebarrels anime: their handling of the Human-Machina concept from the manga. For now I'll just say that yes, they exist in the manga, but are radically different from how the anime portrays them. But the bigger issue ties into stuff that'll be coming into play in the next couple of stages, but just keep note of Kiriyama's appearance for now. Secondly, Masaki is also different in the manga, where he's one of Katou's most loyal lieutenants, and nowhere near the "I'm 3 stages away from backstabbing you" personality that the anime goes for during the second half of the show. So yeah, we're now getting into the meat of why the Linebarrels anime gets its bad reputation, so hold on folks, it's getting stupider.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw. I'm sad we don't get a cool new battleship in the late game, but that hardly ever happens, does it?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

Aw. I'm sad we don't get a cool new battleship in the late game, but that hardly ever happens, does it?
Well we still haven't gotten the Eternal...

oh wait, you said cool battleship :iamafag:

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

I can't put "Oh no, Fuji №2!"
In source it was a battleship and died a hero.

But video editors don't agree with me.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

to the point that one important term seems to mean exactly the opposite of what it does in the manga. Apart from that...

AradoBalanga posted:

And now we have one of the major sticking points (well, two technically) from the Linebarrels anime: their handling of the Human-Machina concept from the manga. For now I'll just say that yes, they exist in the manga, but are radically different from how the anime portrays them. But the bigger issue ties into stuff that'll be coming into play in the next couple of stages, but just keep note of Kiriyama's appearance for now.

It should be noted that this is, indeed, the opposite of the manga; in fact, it is something new (using the word loosely here). In the manga, it is written ヒトマキナ (human-machina), whereas in here it is マキナ人間 (machina-human).

So, if anything, you can rest assured that at least they inverted the words to showcase that this isn't a twist/corruption of the old concept, but something wholly original! :v:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Bye bye, Beast Mode. Hope you enjoyed your extremely brief time in the spotlight, because now that we have Max God, you're probably never going to be used ever again.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Bye bye, Beast Mode. Hope you enjoyed your extremely brief time in the spotlight, because now that we have Max God, you're probably never going to be used ever again.

Eeh, I still get SOME mileage of the regular Kings, so I'll probably use the Dancouga and R-Daigun a bit (if only to show off the DK of God Beast Mode). There's usually a small morale requirement before you can combine, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

One more post to push us into a fresh page, and...

• Locked thread