Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Trabisnikof posted:

That might be true, but it is the ocean where 90%+ of the increase in energy stored occurred:

As to the drivers of Climate change, looking at the concept of radiative forcing is useful:
Fundamental to those are the two laws I mentioned. Inbound energy = outbound energy.

Greenhouse gases don't violate physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I have also planted a number of trees, and let a big chunk of land go wild, which means about 30 new cherry trees and a shitload of brambles.

Is the world saved yet?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bunch of municipal workers were going around my neighborhood trimming trees. I yelled at them about global warming and they stormed off.

So yeah, I may not have planted any trees but I definitely did save a few tree limbs. I think that adds up, right?

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

yaffle posted:

I have also planted a number of trees, and let a big chunk of land go wild, which means about 30 new cherry trees and a shitload of brambles.

Is the world saved yet?
no but that chunk of land and all its animals are :unsmith:

thank you all for planting trees

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Hole the size of Lake Superior opens in the Antarctic ice sheet, hundreds of kilometers "inland".

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Evil_Greven posted:

Fundamental to those are the two laws I mentioned. Inbound energy = outbound energy.

Eventually.

My dad says stuff like that, and it's pretty naive. I like to use an analogy:

Imagine lying out in the middle an oval on a cold night. You have a blanket underneath you. you and the blanket are radiating X amount of energy.

Now you put the blanket over you. Warmer now, aren't you? Are you and the blanket still radiating the same amount of energy into the night sky as you were previously? There's no mass change, just a re-ordering of the layers between the heat source and the cold.

Eventually you'll be at the same temperature either way, given enough time, after you've died and stopped generating heat. Energy in = energy out, eventually.

The carbon and methane that we're kicking up into the atmosphere used to be underneath us, is the blanket. When ultraviolet rays travel into our atmosphere they aren't absorbed by greenhouse gasses, but then they hit objects on the surface, transform the energy to infrared (which are absorbed by GG), then the process is actually akin to an internal heat source. The heat is 'generated' at our level, and being trapped in by the insulation that we're creating.

Inbound energy = outbound energy, given enough time. But, given two objects the same starting temperature with different types of insulation, they can lose their heat at drastically different rates. And when heat is constantly being added, the cumulative effect can be significant, the core can rise up to a much higher temperature even as it radiates at the same rate as the less insulated object at the surface.

That's my understanding of the Second Law of Thermodynamics, as applied to sleeping out in the cold, and to the earth.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

apparently "pre-emptive" to blame climate change, but we know the truth. it is certain.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

Goffer posted:

Eventually.

My dad says stuff like that, and it's pretty naive. I like to use an analogy:

Imagine lying out in the middle an oval on a cold night. You have a blanket underneath you. you and the blanket are radiating X amount of energy.

Now you put the blanket over you. Warmer now, aren't you? Are you and the blanket still radiating the same amount of energy into the night sky as you were previously? There's no mass change, just a re-ordering of the layers between the heat source and the cold.

Eventually you'll be at the same temperature either way, given enough time, after you've died and stopped generating heat. Energy in = energy out, eventually.

The carbon and methane that we're kicking up into the atmosphere used to be underneath us, is the blanket. When ultraviolet rays travel into our atmosphere they aren't absorbed by greenhouse gasses, but then they hit objects on the surface, transform the energy to infrared (which are absorbed by GG), then the process is actually akin to an internal heat source. The heat is 'generated' at our level, and being trapped in by the insulation that we're creating.

Inbound energy = outbound energy, given enough time. But, given two objects the same starting temperature with different types of insulation, they can lose their heat at drastically different rates. And when heat is constantly being added, the cumulative effect can be significant, the core can rise up to a much higher temperature even as it radiates at the same rate as the less insulated object at the surface.

That's my understanding of the Second Law of Thermodynamics, as applied to sleeping out in the cold, and to the earth.
Y'all ain't reading my post or what I'm responding to in particular, neither.

Inbound energy = outbound energy, ergo emissivity doesn't change. This is what Stefan-Boltzmann says.

Nor am I saying the surface under said 'blanket' isn't warming (in fact I specifically mention it is). I'm saying it's at the cost of non-surface cooling of the atmosphere. Look at Venus - despite being closer to the Sun that the Earth, carbon dioxide freezes in its upper atmosphere - it gets below 100 Kelvin in a broad chunk of the atmosphere.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Evil_Greven posted:

Inbound = outbound is only true if you have a stationary situation though? If you don't, any imbalance will be taken care off by increases or decreases in temperature of the mass in question.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
lol at modeling sea level rise when we don't even understand why those inland seas form or what their implications for overall shelf integrity are

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

the old ceremony posted:

no but that chunk of land and all its animals are :unsmith:

thank you all for planting trees

I stopped eating meat or dairy.

win.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

call to action posted:

lol at modeling sea level rise when we don't even understand why those inland seas form or what their implications for overall shelf integrity are
I'm pretty sure it's UFOs escaping the ice.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

I stopped eating meat or dairy.

win.

Means more for me. :)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm pretty sure it's UFOs escaping the ice.

the Thing is escaping?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
forgot the dome maintenance at Zygote, too many additional mouths to feed

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Inbound = outbound is only true if you have a stationary situation though? If you don't, any imbalance will be taken care off by increases or decreases in temperature of the mass in question.
You are getting stuck on things that are irrelevant.

The post in question suggested emitted energy would increase as the surface warmed.
The fact that the Earth's atmosphere as a whole is still about 254K is overlooked (or 255K depending where you look).

The surface is the most important to us, of course (tl;dr we're already hosed), but it's important to understand the mechanisms involved here.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Evil_Greven posted:

You are getting stuck on things that are irrelevant.

The post in question suggested emitted energy would increase as the surface warmed.
The fact that the Earth's atmosphere as a whole is still about 254K is overlooked (or 255K depending where you look).

The surface is the most important to us, of course (tl;dr we're already hosed), but it's important to understand the mechanisms involved here.
But inbound = outbound only being true in a stationary situation seems to me to part of understanding the mechanisms involved? I mean, fair enough if the atmosphere as a whole is stationary and it's merely a question of distribution, but that still seems to be ignoring the oceans, which are absorbing the vast majority of heating AFAIK?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A Buttery Pastry posted:

but that still seems to be ignoring the oceans, which are absorbing the vast majority of heating AFAIK?

Yup, and absorbing large amounts of carbon in the form of carbonic acid.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 12, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, an absorbing large amounts of carbon in the form of carbonic acid.
In the future, ships carrying Mentos across the oceans will be the most tightly regulated of all.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

So apparently Europe is about to be hit by its second hurricane ever

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, and absorbing large amounts of carbon in the form of carbonic acid.

Lifting the lysocline in the ocean is how you kick off the real good mass extinction pulses in earnest

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Rex-Goliath posted:

So apparently Europe is about to be hit by its second hurricane ever
Time to close our borders to Dutch refugees.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

A Buttery Pastry posted:

But inbound = outbound only being true in a stationary situation seems to me to part of understanding the mechanisms involved? I mean, fair enough if the atmosphere as a whole is stationary and it's merely a question of distribution, but that still seems to be ignoring the oceans, which are absorbing the vast majority of heating AFAIK?
It is a 'stationary situation.'

The equation for Stefan-Boltzmann is E = σT^4
E = energy flux (W/m^2)
σ = 5.67×10^-8 W/m^2
T = temperature (in Kelvin)

What's not 'stationary' here was argued to be temperature. The temperature of the surface is going up, but it does so at the expense of the temperature away from the surface. Therefore, the temperature of the whole is 'stationary.'

Incoming solar power averaged over the Earth's surface with its current albedo is ~240 W/m^2:
~240 W/m^2 = 5.67x10^-8 W/m^2 * T^4
T = (240 W/m^2 / 5.67x10^-8 W/m^2)^(1/4)
T = ~255K

Inbound = Outbound with no change, correct?
Therefore, the Earth emits ~240 W/m^2 as well.

But wait, you say - the Earth's surface is ~288K not ~255K:
E = 5.67x10^-8 * (288K)^4
E = ~390 W/m^2

That's correct, and an increase in this temperature would increase the flux from the surface - but it's only true for the surface.

The Earth emits only ~240 W/m^2 to space, confirmed by observations.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 12, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The temp moves quasistatically. Does this make sense?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Evil_Greven posted:

It is a 'stationary situation.'

The Earth emits only ~240 W/m^2 to space, confirmed by observations.
But is it the exact same number? A small difference would lead to actual heating (or cooling) of the Earth, rather than merely redistribution.

Potato Salad posted:

The temp moves quasistatically. Does this make sense?
I'm (obviously) not an expert on the atmosphere or anything, coming at this from a building envelope perspective, though on the surface the two seem pretty similar if you just simplify enough. Obviously though, simplifying might leave out a crucial interaction I'm not accounting for. Maybe I'll have an easier time understanding what people are saying after a good night's sleep.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The building envelope perspective is precisely the wrong way to look at it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Your building envelope conducts and radiates. It is in contact with what is effectively an infinite heat sink.

Earth doesn't conduct heat flow to space. It only radiates, and climate temperature change is veeeeery slow. The right model for this is literally just a blackbody in a vacuum with an effective albedo around 0.3, half it's surface insolated at 1kw/m sq, and a coefficient in front of its blackbody radiation power output that is a blackbody power curve multiplied against atmospheric spectral absorption then integrated in frequency domain (bottom line, how is a blackbody power curve attenuated by the atmosphere at each wavelength?). Earth heats until radiation out is the same as radiation in, and the Earth's albedo and insulation change slowly enough that the system is almost by definition quasistatic, even considering the heat capacity of the oceans.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 12, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You have a good blackbody cavity held at 3K that does a decent job of mitigating harmonic effects. A sphere is suspended in the center and insulated in Magic Plastic that just flatly lets 100% of radiation in but also reflects half if any emitted blackbody radiation from the sphere back to the sphere.

Is there steady temperature of the sphere 3K, or is it higher?

What happens then when I shine a relatively bright laser that is allowed into the Magic Plastic covered sphere at a fraction of 0.5? 0.7?

Expand on this model by making the magic plastic have an actual, variable absorption and reflection profile. Make the laser broadband.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
nerds

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

Your building envelope conducts and radiates. It is in contact with what is effectively an infinite heat sink.

Earth doesn't conduct heat flow to space. It only radiates, and climate temperature change is veeeeery slow. The right model for this is literally just a blackbody in a vacuum with an effective albedo around 0.3, half it's surface insolated at 1kw/m sq, and a coefficient in front of its blackbody radiation power output that is a blackbody power curve multiplied against atmospheric spectral absorption then integrated in frequency domain (bottom line, how is a blackbody power curve attenuated by the atmosphere at each wavelength?). Earth heats until radiation out is the same as radiation in, and the Earth's albedo and insulation change slowly enough that the system is almost by definition quasistatic, even considering the heat capacity of the oceans.
If I'm getting you right, I'm sorta correct in that Earth's albedo and insulation changing will heat up/cool down the Earth? But importantly, this effect is drowned out by the effects of redistribution of heat within the atmosphere, especially at the time scales we're concerned with?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
Hail the eighteenth Satan.

Trump taps climate skeptic to lead White House environment office

quote:

Trump picked Kathleen Hartnett White to serve as a member, and eventually chairwoman, of the Council on Environmental Quality

At the TPPF — which has received funding from the fossil fuel industry — White led a project to “explain the forgotten moral case for fossil fuels,” and she has written that carbon dioxide is the gas “that makes life possible on the earth and naturally fertilizes plant growth.”

critic of the Obama administration’s environmental initiatives, calling them a “deluded and illegitimate battle against climate change”

This is fine. Everything is fine.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

:killing:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eNeMeE posted:

Maybe if we tell Trump that if he removes enough CO2 he can call it the greatest big league oxygenation event.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

eNeMeE posted:

When humans die out our carbon footprint will decrease substantially.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
Good news!

quote:

A new NASA study provides space-based evidence that Earth’s tropical regions were the cause of the largest annual increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration seen in at least 2,000 years.

Scientists suspected the 2015-16 El Nino -- one of the largest on record -- was responsible, but exactly how has been a subject of ongoing research. Analyzing the first 28 months of data from NASA’s Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2 (OCO-2) satellite, researchers conclude impacts of El Nino-related heat and drought occurring in tropical regions of South America, Africa and Indonesia were responsible for the record spike in global carbon dioxide. The findings are published in the journal Science Friday as part of a collection of five research papers based on OCO-2 data.

“These three tropical regions released 2.5 gigatons more carbon into the atmosphere than they did in 2011,” said Junjie Liu of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California, who is lead author of the study. “Our analysis shows this extra carbon dioxide explains the difference in atmospheric carbon dioxide growth rates between 2011 and the peak years of 2015-16. OCO-2 data allowed us to quantify how the net exchange of carbon between land and atmosphere in individual regions is affected during El Nino years.” A gigaton is a billion tons.
:suicide:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So that's the tropics and the arctic releasing gigatons more carbon year on year and we live everywhere else.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
It's really amazing how fast everything in the ocean is going to be completely dead.

And here I thought dying from famine would be the next generation's problem, not mine.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It's really amazing how fast everything in the ocean is going to be completely dead.

And here I thought dying from famine would be the next generation's problem, not mine.

Soylent Green is PEEPLE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Most of us will die of famine the rest will die of cannibalism related heart disease.