Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Another thing I noticed in my area, around this time, an empty store front would get ready to open up as one of those sign-up places with a few healthcare navigators.

It still hasn't gotten ready.

tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
The healthcare navigator budget was cut by 40%. Do not expect much assistance from this administration.

If you have a silver plan I would say to expect your insurer to jack up rates and that you should carefully evaluate all your options with the expected increase to subsidies. It could also be that your insurer will use this opportunity to abandon the exchange in your area.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The way I see it, work isn't dignity, it's just work. What we find when we expand public benefits is that the arts flourish as people turn to hobbies and self expression; for example, the "British Invasion" in rock music happened largely because so many young British men had access to public benefits, so they could mess about in rock bands instead of working in the coal mines or whatever. There's nothing dignified about working in a coal seam when you could be the next John Lennon.

see generally http://www.zpub.com/notes/idle.html

I don't mean to imply that all labor is inherently great and that all safety nets are bad, but the clear implication of UBI in a system with more automation is that work will not just become optional, people will be shut out of work altogether. That's a problem in a few ways, one of which is that work gives people a role in society and a stake in its success. The person who builds houses or drives freight has more of a reason to feel connected to society than a person who exists as their own island, only existing as a being for an abstract government to clothe, feed and house. They contribute to others on a meaningful way through their work. The fruits of their labor can be viewed by society as a whole. Unless you become the next Bertrand Russell or John Lennon, that's not true for a person who isn't given the option to work. Finally, work gives people fora to interact with others and build community. Without anywhere to go for the vast majority of the year and with more automation of labor, people will interact with people outside of their immediate vicinity less and as a result grow more isolated.

I agree in a strong social safety net, but UBI first and foremost is a device to pacify rather than build strength of community. It may be able to meet basic needs but people need more than that to function well. UBI is a copout to the worst instincts of the left. It would be far better to guarantee work with fair terms to each worker, with a guaranteed standard of living for people who for whatever reason can't work.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Volkerball posted:

I really don't buy the idea that cynicism and detached idealism are the only two options regarding racial relations. Progress has been made and progress will continue to be made moving forward. Obviously it's not all gumdrops and roses. The nadir in the late 1800's was a huge step back for racial progress in the US, but at the end of the day, almost everything negative brought about by the nadir was cancelled out, and the status of African Americans in our society had never been higher afterwards. If that can be done in the face of the Jim Crow laws, and segregation, and the level of hatred present at that time, the relatively small hurdles activists face today don't stand much of a chance when you start looking at time in years and decades instead of weeks and months. I can definitely see the argument that we are in a nadir of our own right now, and that things are going backwards, but I also don't think that is sustainable, and we'll come to a time shortly where a lot more progress can be made.

I think one could convincingly argue that changing explicitly racist laws is actually easier than fixing the effects of racism that aren't explicitly encoded. Making people in general treat minorities better is a heck of a lot harder than just ending Jim Crow laws.

edit: Also, at least with regards to black people, there hasn't been much material improvement since the civil rights era.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Ceiling fan posted:

You should definitely worry about your paperwork and how you are going to pay your premium next year. Your letter won't come for another few weeks. Open season starts in mid-November this year. Oh, and it will be shut down Sunday nights. "For maintenance."

I thought it was Sunday mornings?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
The thing is, if a politician actually does try to take steps to reduce the prison population by non-violent offenders out people out/focusing on rehabilitation, the instant that somebody who was let out does a crime, the attack ads are going to be all over them for causing this to happen somehow.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

The thing is, if a politician actually does try to take steps to reduce the prison population by non-violent offenders out people out/focusing on rehabilitation, the instant that somebody who was let out does a crime, the attack ads are going to be all over them for causing this to happen somehow.

:nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io9KMSSEZ0Y

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Not doing good stuff because you're scared of attack ads is literally the dumbest loving thing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Democrazy posted:

That's a problem in a few ways, one of which is that work gives people a role in society and a stake in its success.

loving LMAO at this.

Work sucks, and this idea that work gives you purpose is some major Protestant Work Ethic bullshit at it's finest. We should long for the days when most of society no longer has to work, not fear it.

How "connected to society" is your average white collar worker these days? I had a job where I fixed iPads so salespeople could sell hair color to salons, I didn't loving feel "connected to society."

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Democrazy posted:

I agree in a strong social safety net, but UBI first and foremost is a device to pacify rather than build strength of community. It may be able to meet basic needs but people need more than that to function well. UBI is a copout to the worst instincts of the left. It would be far better to guarantee work with fair terms to each worker, with a guaranteed standard of living for people who for whatever reason can't work.

Not the worst instincts. The *best *instincts - but without fully thinking out how it would affect different personality types, particularly those who gain purpose in life by being useful. Artists, hikers, hackers, writers, poets, performers - all these would love being able to practice their talents without worrying about money. But guys who gain life satisfaction by being strong, enduring, necessary - they would not be happy to be supported without being needed. This is where people mocked as "basement dwellers" come from - people who don't need to work because their family can support them, who end up doing nothing or even worse, becoming addicts, because without the need to work, they don't know what they want to do, so they end up doing nothing.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

karthun posted:

The Mercy class hospital ships are rather out of date. Lets replace them with 10 new ones. They will go from port to port around the world were needed and hopefully spread less STD's then the rest of the Navy.
Just lol if you think Mil Medicine aren't loving each other and anyone else who shows interest on the regular.

Democrazy posted:

The problem with that idea is that automation appears poised to continue to decrease the number of humans needed to do meaningful work in order to support society relative to a given population. Either you have explicit make-work programs, with the day shift digging ditches and the night shift filling them in (while enjoying the camaraderie of honest labor, I guess), or you use population control to balance population at a level where you have enough people to run the systems that keep everyone flush and happy. This has the additional benefit of not spending lots of non-renewable resources and energy to support a population who cannot and are not ever expected to do anything to advance human development or support society or really do anything other than consume.

Both ideas have had such horrible consequences and dramatic failures in the past that I'm not sure that either one is possible to implement in an ethical or effective manner, and can't endorse them.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
We could make a lot of useful makework - like adequately staffed nursing homes, assistant teachers, people who visit and help the lonely elderly, people who make cities clean and beautiful, carers for the mentally ill who find it difficult to cope on their own. There's a lot of things that need doing and don't get done.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Subsidized daycare would be huge.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the US currently runs the largest make-work program in existence

its just that the work made mostly involves pointless drills and base inspections

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

BarbarianElephant posted:

I thought it was Sunday mornings?

Yeah, I got mixed up on a couple of things. The shutdown is Sundays midnight to noon. There is also a shutdown scheduled the first night of the open enrollment season. Open enrollment runs from Nov 1st to Dec 15th.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Just lol if you think Mil Medicine aren't loving each other and anyone else who shows interest on the regular.

Oh they are, I just hope they would use more rubbers.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Anyone who thinks that work is necessary for dignity or whatever has been seriously brainwashed by capitalism and will need some intensive psychological treatment when late capitalism is finally in its death throes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Democrazy posted:

I don't mean to imply that all labor is inherently great and that all safety nets are bad, but the clear implication of UBI in a system with more automation is that work will not just become optional, people will be shut out of work altogether. That's a problem in a few ways, one of which is that work gives people a role in society and a stake in its success. The person who builds houses or drives freight has more of a reason to feel connected to society than a person who exists as their own island, only existing as a being for an abstract government to clothe, feed and house. They contribute to others on a meaningful way through their work. The fruits of their labor can be viewed by society as a whole. Unless you become the next Bertrand Russell or John Lennon, that's not true for a person who isn't given the option to work. Finally, work gives people fora to interact with others and build community. Without anywhere to go for the vast majority of the year and with more automation of labor, people will interact with people outside of their immediate vicinity less and as a result grow more isolated.

I feel like this attitude is usually one that comes from people privileged enough to have a not-poo poo job.

It's definitely a bad idea to limit the safety net to people who can't work. Ideally people who want to work would be given the opportunity to acquire a job, but people who don't want to work some poo poo job like retail or something should also be able to choose not to work at all.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Anyone who thinks that work is necessary for dignity or whatever has been seriously brainwashed by capitalism and will need some intensive psychological treatment when late capitalism is finally in its death throes.

Or the type of rear end in a top hat like Paul Ryan that just thinks it's great for other people.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

karthun posted:

Oh they are, I just hope they would use more rubbers.

They're medics, of course they practice safe sex. They always look up the lab results of anyone they're interested in loving.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

We could make a lot of useful makework - like adequately staffed nursing homes, assistant teachers, people who visit and help the lonely elderly, people who make cities clean and beautiful, carers for the mentally ill who find it difficult to cope on their own. There's a lot of things that need doing and don't get done.
Have you ever been to a nursing home? Or a mental hospital? People go into menial jobs there either because they want to advance to less menial jobs, or because they need the loving money. There are probably a few kind souls out there who would wipe asses, clean stomas, throw out their backs lifting flaccid people, risk assault from altered patients, and listen to unending demented screaming out of a sense of duty, but if you told every CNA and MHT that they would never have to touch feces or smell lung butter again, and could free up all their time to paint or go on nature walks or play Xbox or whatever in exchange for an extremely minor hit to their standard if living, I'd say 80 out of 100 are going to take that deal, and 19 out of the rest will expect promotion to a more prestigious, higher paying position to be forthcoming and will drop out if it looks like they won't get it.

Radish posted:

And you definitely can't let any yahoo off the street watch kids unsupervised. Again, the overlap between people not disqualified due to convictions, alcoholism, or opiate addiction, people who will put up with other people's kids, and people who will do it if they don't need to in order to afford rent, food, etc. is smaller than the need.

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like this attitude is usually one that comes from people privileged enough to have a not-poo poo job.

It's definitely a bad idea to limit the safety net to people who can't work. Ideally people who want to work would be given the opportunity to acquire a job, but people who don't want to work some poo poo job like retail or something should also be able to choose not to work at all.
People will not do the poo poo jobs if they can maintain the sort of lifestyle you would want for you and yours without doing them.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 13, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Dead Reckoning posted:

Have you ever been to a nursing home? Or a mental hospital? People go into menial jobs there either because they want to advance to less menial jobs, or because they need the loving money. There are probably a few kind souls out there who would wipe asses, clean stomas, throw out their backs lifting flaccid people, risk assault from altered patients, and listen to unending demented screaming out of a sense of duty, but if you told every CNA and MHT that they would never have to touch feces or smell lung butter again, and could free up all their time to paint or go on nature walks or play Xbox or whatever in exchange for an extremely minor hit to their standard if living, I'd say 80 out of 100 are going to take that deal, and 19 out of the rest will expect promotion to a more prestigious, higher paying position to be forthcoming and will drop out if it looks like they won't get it.

You'd need to pay them more, obviously. And all those unpleasant jobs would be a lot easier if there were double the number of necessary workers, instead of half at best.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Also we could start off by radically shortening the workweek, while keeping compensation the same (or at least livable).

If you only had to wipe asses for 15-20 hours instead of 40-60, it would be a lot more bearable. If I could make my living off only working 20 hours a week, I'd be willing to do a lot more boring job.

As a bonus, this improves employment numbers, too!

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Instant Sunrise posted:

1. lol

2. The GOP and Co. will attack anyone all the time regardless of what happens.

3. For reference, the civil rights movement of the 1960s was broadly unpopular, should Dems and Reps have cowered in fear and not done anything about it?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

You'd need to pay them more, obviously. And all those unpleasant jobs would be a lot easier if there were double the number of necessary workers, instead of half at best.

Yeah for real. I am lucky enough to work for a non profit now, but I spent three years prior in retail hell, and no matter how good you were at your job, you were constantly asked to keep doing more, and with fewer labor hours and staff. Capitalism is a loving cancer and unsustainable at its current race to the bottom.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

It only takes one person to suction a tracheostomy, and having to argue about whose turn it is beforehand (especially when both of you can quit and go pursue your passion for selling poo poo on Etsy without losing your house or ability to feed your kids) isn't going to make it more pleasant.

You're looking for some magical point on the salary slider where enough people are willing to do a poo poo job that need is met, but not paying them so much that you create two tiers of citizens with notable lifestyle differences between those selected by the bureaucracy as suitable for labor and those not. And I'm not convinced that a central government is going to be able to reliably hit that sweet spot.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

WampaLord posted:

Also we could start off by radically shortening the workweek, while keeping compensation the same (or at least livable).

If you only had to wipe asses for 15-20 hours instead of 40-60, it would be a lot more bearable. If I could make my living off only working 20 hours a week, I'd be willing to do a lot more boring job.

Also this. I went from 40 hours a week full time retail :suicide: to a 30 hour a week non profit gig.

Now, the drawback is that my benefits are gone, but I honestly do better by getting insurance off the exchange and financial aid through my insurer. At least until the Trumpocalypse grinds the ACA into dirt and I die from diabetes complications.

But seriously, just an extra ten hours for free time in your week is amazing for your mental well being. In a better world, we'd be fighting for a 25 hour work week right now.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Radish posted:

It is hard to overstate this. On the one hand it's a transparent handout to a subset of the population, on the other hand do this immediately and right now the cost of daycare is ridiculous.

Interestingly the Canadian province of Quebec implemented universal childcare in the fairly recent past. The result:

quote:

How much of the addition to subsidies from the childcare reform is recovered by the increase in net fiscal revenue stemming from so many more working women? One study figured out that some 40 per cent of the cost would be recovered by the increase in income and payroll taxes alone. Taking account of the long-term effects on all types of taxes, transfers and fiscal expenditures, colleagues from the University of Sherbrooke and I then found that the federal and provincial governments would get back much more than 100 per cent of the cost of the reform. In other words, the latter was, in fact, "paying for itself."

ie it's probably cheaper for society as a whole compared to the status quo. The only reason not to do it is ideological.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Or we can consider not splitting our labor down old class based hierarchies. Just because right now we've created a bunch of less rewarding jobs doesn't mean we have to do it that way. We can distribute these often less rewarding tasks amongst people while ensuring everyone gets access to tasks they find fulfilling.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

It is hard to overstate this. On the one hand it's a transparent handout to a subset of the population, on the other hand do this immediately and right now the cost of daycare is ridiculous

It doesn't have to be a targeted handout. We can instead talk about guaranteeing daytime enrichment for all our children.

We can frame this as benefits we can offer to everyone in our society because we value our people.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Nocturtle posted:

It is hard to overstate this. On the one hand it's a transparent handout to a subset of the population, on the other hand do this immediately and right now the cost of daycare is ridiculous.

Yep. And working in a daycare isn't exactly hellish if you like kids, it only sucks right now because you aren't paid enough to live on.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

WampaLord posted:

So walk me through this. People work half as much, but still get paid the same. You've effectively doubled salaries and personnel expenses at a stroke. Who is picking up the tab, employers? The government?

Trabisnikof posted:

Or we can consider not splitting our labor down old class based hierarchies. Just because right now we've created a bunch of less rewarding jobs doesn't mean we have to do it that way. We can distribute these often less rewarding tasks amongst people while ensuring everyone gets access to tasks they find fulfilling.
Taking care of demented/disabled/sick elderly people is not a pick-up game. Specialization, vetting, credentials, and training are all required, and rapidly become infeasible when you change your workforce from a group of full time professionals to "whoever drew the short straw this week." If I knew this was how jobs were handed out, you can be drat sure I would make certain the "rear end wiping", "floor mopping", and "wound debridement" boxes didn't get checked on my labor card.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 13, 2017

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dead Reckoning posted:

So walk me through this. People work half as much, but still get paid the same. You've effectively doubled salaries and personnel expenses at a stroke. Who is picking up the tab, employers? The government?

Lmao

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

Maybe we could pay people a decent amount of money? The money is there, unless you really think we can only afford to pay poverty level wages forever.

Maybe we cut management salaries or reduce CEO compensation or not give out a dividend?

I can't solve capitalism in one post, sorry.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

WampaLord posted:

Maybe we could pay people a decent amount of money? The money is there, unless you really think we can only afford to pay poverty level wages forever.

Maybe we cut management salaries or reduce CEO compensation or not give out a dividend?

I can't solve capitalism in one post, sorry.

Maybe the trillions of dollars being hoarded in offshore bank accounts could be appropriated and redistributed for starters. Maybe we guillotine some of these dragons sitting on their piles of gold and put the gold to good use at some point. Just spit balling here.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

how are stomas cleaned in shadowrun, any goons know?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Drones. But if you have DocWagon Platinum, a team of mercenaries will drop in from your skylight and do it.

DrNutt posted:

Maybe the trillions of dollars being hoarded in offshore bank accounts could be appropriated and redistributed for starters.
If you can generate the political will or sorcerous power to expropriate money from foreign countries' banks and distribute it according to your whims, I'm disappointed by your lack of imagination that you confined your solutions to "give rich people money to poor people."

WampaLord posted:

The money is there, unless you really think we can only afford to pay poverty level wages forever.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Observing that there is enough wealth in the economy to do what you want is like observing that we have enough steel in the world to build a ladder to the moon: pointless and naive. Other people get a say

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 13, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Drones. But if you have DocWagon Platinum, a team of mercenaries will drop in from your skylight and do it.

If you can generate the political will or sorcerous power to expropriate money from foreign countries' banks and distribute it according to your whims, I'm disappointed by your lack of imagination that you confined your solutions to "give rich people money to poor people."

I mean, regardless there's not a single reason not to seize the vast majority of wealth from the wealthy (either directly or through very high wealth and labor/capital income taxes). The end result would be dramatically better for the vast majority of people, even if it isn't possible to give everyone the equivalent quality of life of someone making 60k/yr or whatever.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I guess all I can say is that I really learned to sympathize with people who have had work taken away from them when I was unemployed myself. I learned I would rather push carts or do menial temp work than live my life not doing anything for society at large, which is what I ended up doing. Even so, I get the argument that there's a lot of terrible, demeaning work out there. It's true that workers are routinely abused and degraded by their employers, but the answer to that is to reform those practices, pay people what they deserve and to strengthen the power of the individual worker through strong collective action. Let's not take the libertarian way out of just getting rid of the worker.

Dead Reckoning posted:

The problem with that idea is that automation appears poised to continue to decrease the number of humans needed to do meaningful work in order to support society relative to a given population. Either you have explicit make-work programs, with the day shift digging ditches and the night shift filling them in (while enjoying the camaraderie of honest labor, I guess), or you use population control to balance population at a level where you have enough people to run the systems that keep everyone flush and happy. This has the additional benefit of not spending lots of non-renewable resources and energy to support a population who cannot and are not ever expected to do anything to advance human development or support society or really do anything other than consume.

Both ideas have had such horrible consequences and dramatic failures in the past that I'm not sure that either one is possible to implement in an ethical or effective manner, and can't endorse them.

Yeah, it's a hard and seemingly intractable problem. Without enough work to go around, the next few decades could be truly awful. However, without a shortage of labor, we as a society are allowed to explore necessary yet less profitable forms of employment for people thought impossible before, plus work shorter hours without suffering a loss of quality of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Democrazy posted:

That's a problem in a few ways, one of which is that work gives people a role in society and a stake in its success. The person who builds houses or drives freight has more of a reason to feel connected to society than a person who exists as their own island, only existing as a being for an abstract government to clothe, feed and house. They contribute to others on a meaningful way through their work. The fruits of their labor can be viewed by society as a whole. Unless you become the next Bertrand Russell or John Lennon, that's not true for a person who isn't given the option to work.

Bertrand Russell you say?

Like Russell points out, there were (and still are) entire sedentary classes of the population who live off their wealth, never working a day, and they are not disconnected from society. In fact, we venerate them and put them in charge of it, for some bizarre reason. I suppose you're right in that wealthy people don't seem to have a stake in society's success though.

Edit: unemployed people are miserable because society is built in such a way to degrade you and classify you as unworthy if you are not employed. Unemployment is treated like a moral disease instead of an economic phenomenon. We could have and should have gotten rid of that stigma a long time ago. In the old days, working debased you: nobility would never deign to work, that was for peasants.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 13, 2017

• Locked thread