Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know what's coming and I'm not exactly thrilled by anything that's happened since Adam first appeared but man, considering how long this is taking I'd kinda be wondering if I'd made a mistake buying the game. People say that Route C is where it really gets interesting and I hope they're not overblowing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

AdmiralViscen posted:

I think it would be better if the sidequests were mandatory. Many of them are so abstract or briefly available that you'd need to play with a guide in front of you to even experience them. And since the designers can't know how many you have done, the characters are always making the same observations over and over.

The sidequests in this game are just poorly thought out in general. At least in the original game I got the feeling they were having a bit of a laugh at my expense and that's why they're kinda stupid (specifically with the chat where nier explains to wiess/the player why he should be doing this stupid mundane bullshit) while in this game they're improved enough to not be a huge pain in the rear end but they're still really boring outside of couple.

I almost want to say them being a bit better than the last game actually makes them worse because now instead of feeling like they're going for something it just makes me feel like they ran out of time/money and that's why 90% of the sidequests are mmo fetchquests with barely any relevance to anything.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 12, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I really like the sidequests in Automata but your party simply not being as fun to listen to as the guys in og Nier is something of a mark against them

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

RareAcumen posted:

I don't know what's coming and I'm not exactly thrilled by anything that's happened since Adam first appeared but man, considering how long this is taking I'd kinda be wondering if I'd made a mistake buying the game. People say that Route C is where it really gets interesting and I hope they're not overblowing things.

Keep in mind that the LP format really draws things out.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

They aren't: this is a game that can really be played either stopping and smelling the roses or powering through the main story and be rewarding both ways. I just got around to finishing route C myself, and its one hell of a ride: everything in this LP up until now exists solely to set up what we're about to get into next update and beyond, and its one hell of a payoff: I did it all in two or three sittings.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I don't have much to say about the revelation and general gameplay that hasn't been said, so I'll just look forward to how they might play around with hacking in the upcoming fight, considering what they've been doing with it recently.

The Dark Id posted:

and have a self-destructive existential crisis and the death of your creators

Should that be "after" maybe?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Lets not talk about route C until we get there, yeah? It's like 3 or so updates until then.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I enjoyed Route B more than Route A. It's less about advancing the plot and more about expanding the world, and while I can see where people are coming from when they say they find it repetitive, but personally I thought that playing from 9S' perspective is what truly made me invested in things. The unique sidequests/story segments/hacking segments ect. that he gets are just...more interesting and made me think a lot more about the overall scenario of the game. I agree with the notion that some of those sidequests should have been mandatory - they often expound on the game's overarching themes as well as the main story does.

Also agree that, like basically every other game that is fun to play (a.k.a. isn't like Drakengard 1), it's comes across as much better when playing through it in-game than in digesting it through an LP format.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RareAcumen posted:

People say that Route C is where it really gets interesting and I hope they're not overblowing things.

it is

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Leraika posted:

Keep in mind that the LP format really draws things out.

Aye. Route B was over in a flash for me, especially as I was hideously overlevelled from deciding to see if the "infinite" enemy pits really were infinite. There's not that many new sidequests.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Aye. Route B was over in a flash for me, especially as I was hideously overlevelled from deciding to see if the "infinite" enemy pits really were infinite. There's not that many new sidequests.

Yeah, you basically play through all the things you have to do "again" in like 20 minutes because you'll have all the items and bosses are so easy.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It might feel drawn out because Id is dedicating updates to sidequests, and also going for roughly full completion

That’s a whole lot of time between actual story progress bits

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Route B has some fun bits, but man, I could have done without having to fight Grun again.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

darealkooky posted:

The sidequests in this game are just poorly thought out in general. At least in the original game I got the feeling they were having a bit of a laugh at my expense and that's why they're kinda stupid (specifically with the chat where nier explains to wiess/the player why he should be doing this stupid mundane bullshit) while in this game they're improved enough to not be a huge pain in the rear end but they're still really boring outside of couple.

I almost want to say them being a bit better than the last game actually makes them worse because now instead of feeling like they're going for something it just makes me feel like they ran out of time/money and that's why 90% of the sidequests are mmo fetchquests with barely any relevance to anything.

The point of the sidequests in the original Nier was to characterize Nier and the crew. They're quick to resort to violence, but the sidequests show they aren't monsters. Not only is the most charming dialogue packed into the sidequests, but the stories demonstrate that they genuinely care about other people and are capable of acting with gentility and discretion if necessary. It contributes to a commentary on paternalistic masculinity. Nier acts out of a sense of love, but he still does the wrong thing and ends up hurting all the people he tries to help out. That's part of the reason why the sidequests don't end up resolving properly. Nier's willing to help out in a way that he believes he can, but it's often not what the situation actually calls for, and so the time he spends doing nonsensical work ends up being wasted. Even if Nier does solve a problem, he ends up killing everyone in the world anyway so it's not like he did them any real favors. At the end of the game, however, Nier sacrifices himself and all the occasions where he tried to satisfy his own desire to be helpful to do something actually meaningful.

Basically, the point of the sidequests in Nier only was clear after the ending, and it will probably be like that with Automata as well.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm expecting things to get pretty :yokotaro: in here from C onwards from what everyone is saying. Usually I'd say there's not much left he can pull to surprise me but, robo vagina.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm expecting things to get pretty :yokotaro: in here from C onwards from what everyone is saying. Usually I'd say there's not much left he can pull to surprise me but, robo vagina.

I mean, if you're really jaded then yeah, nothing is going to surprise you in Route C. This isn't Drakengard. This game does not get that hosed up. And the more familiar you are with Yoko Taro's storytelling, the less likely you are to be surprised or caught off guard.

Like, anyone who's never played a Nier game before has a chance of being surprised that humanity is dead and has been the whole time, that's pretty bleak and if you aren't picking up on the cues then it can catch you off guard. But like Id said, basically everyone in this thread who's played Nier before saw the twist coming from miles away.

Particularly coming for an LP standpoint where we're still at least a few weeks if not a couple of months away from seeing the end of this game, compared to sitting down and playing it over a weekend, I'd say the impact of this game's story is far more personal than before, not just based on being a kinda weird game but by actually getting you invested in the story.

If you're here for the :yokotaro: then settle your expectations down. This game didn't find mainstream success and sold 2 million copies because of space babies.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

This game didn't find mainstream success and sold 2 million copies because of space babies.
2B's character design did most of the heavy lifting.

A decent percentage of reviewers bailed after ending A, which is both understandable and criminal. DarkID already gave the perfect teaser for Route C at the end of the previous update:

The Dark ID posted:

Overall, 9S’s repeat of events is the low point of the game. However, Route C is just on the horizon and... well... That’s a whole ‘nother ballgame. This is cresting the top of the hill before Yoko Taro’s wild rollercoaster ride actually begins. Stay tuned...

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Honestly I want Big Twists out of Taro’s writing much less than I want interesting themes and fleshed out characters. I would’ve probably had a worse time playing through the game with a ”when’s the next Weird Taro Thing” attitude.

When I think of what I loved about the original Nier I think of the characters’ depth and how the game managed to add new layers to them through subsequent playthroughs. Not the twists.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

C is very excellent but try not to build up expectations or think about just how wild it might be and just enjoy it as it unfolds when TDI gets there.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Route C is actually terrible and you should prepare to be disappointed.

(I don't actually know, I'm just following along with the LP)

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Yeah, can we not talk about things that hasn't happened in the game yet?

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017

Chokes McGee posted:

NOTHING MATTERS
NOTHINGMATTERSNOTHINGMATTERSNOTHINGMATTERSNOTHINGMATTERSNOTHINGMATTERSNOTHINGMATTERS

*swarm forms giant :thunk: face*

Not that I'm not trolling you with made-up bullshit, but this is the entirety of Route C.

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017

cokerpilot posted:

Given her previous behavior that a rather disturbingly probable idea.

If you're fully spoiled / finished the game, there's actually a double twist in this.

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.
Route C is actually not in the game. It's just extra materials you can find outside of the game. Yoko Taro is a wily bastard, he is.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Route C is just a zip file full of Dark Id's previous LPs

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Root [C]anal

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
yeah can we please stop with the WAIT UNTIL ROUTE C and THIS ALL IS ON ROUTE C stuff pls

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I'm sure all this "wait until Route C" stuff will quieten down once we actually get to Route C.

Then it'll be replaced with "wait until Route D".

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

OmegaCake posted:

Route C is actually not in the game. It's just extra materials you can find outside of the game. Yoko Taro is a wily bastard, he is.

the real route c is the friends we made along the way

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Shut the gently caress up about Route C or I'm locking the thread till the next update. :argh:

:frogsiren: There's another chapter of the watching every Kingdom Hearts cutscenes experiment tonight at 10:00 PM EDT if that's your scene. :frogsiren:

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 13, 2017

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Why do you do this to yourself? :magical:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
He's loving this poo poo. Obviously.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I am half glad I cant be around for that because of european timezones
and half sad

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
From the fanart thread:

X

Now I kind of want a stubby garden gnome.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

lol at your new av

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mokinokaro posted:

From the fanart thread:

X

Now I kind of want a stubby garden gnome.

beep boop one cat does not fill bucket. initiate two cats protocol. whrr

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.

FrankZP posted:

This is not a rational risk to take in the sense of perpetuating the deception at any cost, but if you consider her mental well-being

I have yet to see anyone behave rationally in a Yoko Taro game. It's like Evangelion, really. If anyone acted in a rational way, the plot would not have happened. Therefore NOBODY can ever act rationally.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Andyzero posted:

I have yet to see anyone behave rationally in a Yoko Taro game. It's like Evangelion, really. If anyone acted in a rational way, the plot would not have happened. Therefore NOBODY can ever act rationally.

And just like Evangelion it's because everyone is psychologically very unstable

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Andyzero posted:

Don't be ridiculous, Jackass is a model of sanity and rationality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

beep boop one cat does not fill bucket. initiate two cats protocol. whrr

THIS CAN CONTINUE

• Locked thread