Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

existence of notch causes dip in appeal for microsoft product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

notch looks dumb

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

akadajet posted:

notch looks dumb

don't care for it on the phone either

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

ayyy

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

flakeloaf posted:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bobby Digital posted:

thanks windows

thindows

I hate the word 'restarted'

every time i ever type it it just feels wrong

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Rex-Goliath posted:

microsoft resharted yr jorts

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Rex-Goliath posted:

the "wrong" feeling has more to do with what your right hand is doing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Microsoft’s virtual assistant Cortana has finally arrived in Skype. Announced at last year’s Microsoft Build 2016 event, the assistant’s integration was also previewed when the company released an overhauled, Snapchat-inspired version of its mobile messaging app this summer. But Cortana for Skype wasn’t ready at that time. Now, the feature is live, offering users in-context assistance during their chats, as well as the option to message Cortana directly to ask questions or get help with a number of other tasks.

It’s unclear why Cortana’s arrival in Skype took as long as it did, but the big Skype makeover could have contributed to the delay.

However, the idea to bring an A.I.-like helper to mobile messaging isn’t unique to Microsoft. Google’s Allo app is aided by Google Assistant, while Facebook Messenger has its own assistant, “M,” for example.

Similarly, Cortana will pop into conversations to offer suggestions based on the context of your chats. This includes “smart replies,” which are quick responses like “Yes!,” “Sure!”, and others, which you can select with a tap to save you from typing.

Cortana can also offer other input, like restaurant options, movie reviews, a good place to meet, a fact it knows the answer to, and more. Plus, the assistant can help with scheduling events and setting up reminders, which are then synced to your other devices where Cortana is enabled, like your Windows 10 PC.

In addition, Cortana is being added to your Skype as a contact you can message directly, if you choose. In this case, you can chat with Cortana to ask it things like fact-based questions, the current weather, your flight status, stock quotes, restaurant ideas, directions, and more – very much like Google Assistant can already do.

While it seems like it’s now becoming table stakes to include an A.I.-powered assistant in mobile messaging apps, the real-world benefits of these integrations for end users are still a bit unproven. Too often, the suggestions interrupt and slow down conversations instead of adding value. And on multiple occasions, I’ve had to explain what those “dumb little icons” are that are getting in the way during a Facebook Messenger-based chat session. (“M” is suggesting stickers – and yes, that’s an exact quote from an annoyed friend.)

Smart replies on their own are a useful enough feature, as they feel more like an upgraded version of a keyboard app’s phrase suggestion, but many of the other A.I.-powered inputs are less than welcome. The problem is that these bots are butting in automatically, instead of being asked to contribute. Ideally, the user interface for these in-app assistants would be one where you press a button to ask for their help, rather than having them automatically add their 2 cents at every turn.

Microsoft says that Cortana began its rollout on Monday to iOS and Android users in the U.S. But this is not a switch that’s being flipped, so to speak – the rollout is gradual, meaning you may not yet see Cortana yet.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

can i imessage a mac if it has no iphone associated?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yes, but you have to message the e-mail address associated with the account.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i think using the apple id would work

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grassy Knowles posted:

Yes, but you have to message the e-mail address associated with the account.

maybe i can get off skype then finally, and teach my parents to use facetime/imessage when i get an iphone

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

cinci zoo sniper posted:

maybe i can get off skype then finally, and teach my parents to use facetime/imessage when i get an iphone

It's incredibly good for the parental tech support :yeah:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

siri more your thing then :mmmhmm:

(yeah, no, gently caress all the things so very non-literally)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grassy Knowles posted:

It's incredibly good for the parental tech support :yeah:

they seem to have decent hang of skype, to be fair, even though my mother does often need a reminder on how to open chat during a call

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

siri more your thing then :mmmhmm:

(yeah, no, gently caress all the things so very non-literally)

skype is just getting consistently worse. after the major redesign, it literally stopped being usable on my phone

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

skype used to be a proud baltic sea product at that, before microsoft bought it and promptly did the internal politics dance to it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

skype used to be a proud baltic sea product at that, before microsoft bought it and promptly did the internal politics dance to it

that's a really subtle use of "sea" there

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

drunk, but the baltic sea i think is the term, and skype used to be a swedish/estonian/danish/polish/latvian thing as far as dev went, which encircles an area of water i tried to refer to

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

drunk, but the baltic sea i think is the term, and skype used to be a swedish/estonian/danish/polish/latvian thing as far as dev went, which encircles an area of water i tried to refer to
yeah thats what im saying, everyone usually just says baltics or just estonia whereas in reality it swedish-danish partially outsourced to estonian programmers

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

where partially was something 70%+ afaik

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

where partially was something 70%+ afaik

3 out of 5 yea. im saying partially b/c i dont remember if the scandos did code themselves then, or if they already made decent bank with kazaa (although they both where execs before joining the tech boom so idk if they did care much)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think the ios app was mostly stockholm area though, so anyone who liked that can feel comfortable with it being the pointlessly more expensive bit of skype

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 13, 2017

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
were

their

burning swine
May 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Smart replies on their own are a useful enough feature

:wrong:

2017 status: there are still no good instant messengers (no change)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the skype redesign is weird cause the initial betas were good and then all of a sudden they did really stupid poo poo like weird settings dialog and the useless 50/50 split view of contact list + chat. its like some rear end in a top hat who really liked the terrible, terrible old skype chat UI wanted to try to bring that poo poo back instead of fully moving to a regular chat layout.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

i think the ios app was mostly stockholm area though, so anyone who liked that can feel comfortable with it being the pointlessly more expensive bit of skype

who did you piss off?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Rex-Goliath posted:

let's get restarted
let's get restarted in here
let's get restarted
let's get restarted in here

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah thats what im saying, everyone usually just says baltics or just estonia whereas in reality it swedish-danish partially outsourced to estonian programmers

it’s all really just Denmark anyway…

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Rex-Goliath posted:

Login
Setup

Dumb computer words

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eschaton posted:

it’s all really just Denmark anyway…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlTukY9fV9Y

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ive been rewatching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx3TAt8oDok today

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Shaggar posted:

the skype redesign is weird cause the initial betas were good and then all of a sudden they did really stupid poo poo like weird settings dialog and the useless 50/50 split view of contact list + chat. its like some rear end in a top hat who really liked the terrible, terrible old skype chat UI wanted to try to bring that poo poo back instead of fully moving to a regular chat layout.
out of curiosity i tried skype uwp, wondering if that was where all their effort is going, and wow i didn't think they could do worse than skype desktop. the ui is weird and clunky, most of the settings are gone, and it has all that uwp jankiness of stuff sometimes not working. but hey at least there's sponsored emoticons!

oh and half the time your contacts can't see you online and you only receive messages hours later, so basically they managed to bring the s4b experience to skype :v:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SupSuper posted:

out of curiosity i tried skype uwp, wondering if that was where all their effort is going,
lmao

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a coworker of mine loaded uwp skype at work since apparently he hadnt used skype before or some poo poo and his experience was so miserable even non-technicals laughed

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

remember "the phone to save us from our phones"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Wb-9tgd0M

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

accomplished by having no apps. with this strategy they should have targeted the Amish, Hasids, &c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

amazing, hadn't seen that

time for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8E07NEZMAs