Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

From what little I've seen of the show, that's literally all it is. I kind of hate the whole magical autist thing in TV shows and movies. My niece is autistic and I can promise you, it doesn't turn people into meat robots with perfect analysis powers.

I have a 21-year-old autistic son. So yeah, I, too, am wildly aware of this fact. He's moderately high-functioning--can't live on his own by any stretch, but he's with it enough to hold down a job as a parking lot attendant and loading helper at Home Depot, despite his quirks and communication limitations.

Autism is the new magical ability that grants super-smarts, while "balancing" the superhuman intelligence with awkward mannerisms. According to TV, at any rate. It's lazy at best and a little insulting at worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nuebot posted:

From what little I've seen of the show, that's literally all it is. I kind of hate the whole magical autist thing in TV shows and movies. My niece is autistic and I can promise you, it doesn't turn people into meat robots with perfect analysis powers.

Autism is the character flaw you take to get bonus Investigator and Skill Focus (non-social) feats. Everyone knows that.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Just got around to seeing the Beth episode and wow it was really bad

“Am I evil?”
“Worse— you’re smart.”

FAAAARRRRRTTTTTT

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Taima posted:

“Am I evil?”
“Worse— you’re smart.”

FAAAARRRRRTTTTTT

I mean coming from rick it seems at least a little valid. He's a monster who has probably killed more people and destroyed more things than any other being that has ever existed, and none of that would have happened if he wasn't a genius. If rick were just evil and not smart he wouldn't get much done at all.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Taima posted:

“Am I evil?”
“Worse— you’re smart.”

FAAAARRRRRTTTTTT

Maybe don't take everything Rick says as good or correct.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Rick's speech to Beth felt less like it was supposed to be a Universal Truth To Blow Your Mind or whatever, and more that he was just opening up about how he views himself to his daughter, someone who he has a lot in common with. It's how he sees himself and his actions. He's worse than some generic evil, he's smart enough to justify doing horrible things that hurt himself and everyone he loves while saying it's best for everyone involved.

It's why he pushes Beth to make a choice, and why he's happy she didn't make the mistake he did. Right afterwards, he's in a great mood. He raised someone to be better than him. It makes him feel good.

Rick's dealing with his own issues. If you take everything he says as the show trying to feed you 'truths' you misunderstood the kind of character he is. Rick is doing that to other characters, sure, but he's an rear end in a top hat. There's no reason to trust his world view.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm honestly wondering if the fans of this show being terrible is going to change how they make the show. I mean, it can't not, right? Once you figure out that terrible people are drawn to your art because they see themselves in it, you'd probably start second-guessing lines of dialog like the aforementioned evil/smart line.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm thinking though that now that they know they have a large group of watchers that are easy to gently caress with and deserve to be hosed with, they are not going to be able to resist making season four into an effort to gently caress with them as much as possible.

I'd try to find a way to get them arrested by making harassing cops or breaking and entering a funny meme from the show you should totally try.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Domestic Amuse posted:

Then again, it's a VW, so there's no telling what sort of mechanical maladies lie underneath.

maybe the rick & morty dork done a murder in that car and needed to get rid of it without leaving a paper trail

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope season 4 is nothing but the show making GBS threads on Rick so all the "I'M PICKLE RICK REEEE MEMESAUCE" people either recognize that they are shitlords, or just stop watching entirely.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Glagha posted:

Maybe don't take everything Rick says as good or correct.

That was easily the worst episode of the series

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Cojawfee posted:

I hope season 4 is nothing but the show making GBS threads on Rick so all the "I'M PICKLE RICK REEEE MEMESAUCE" people either recognize that they are shitlords, or just stop watching entirely.

I mean Pickle Rick itself was about Rick and Beth being full of poo poo, and the therapist calling them on it, and them obviously knowing it.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Showrunners kinda hosed themselves by making 5 uninteresting characters one of which can solve any problem immediately

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The movie The Accountant was literally just 90 minutes of Ben Affleck autistically no-scope headshotting people while doing super math and it was very much a “how did the hundred of people involved in this film let this happen” and Rolling Stone’s Peter Travers just called it offensive. I can’t believe this is still a thing.

Regarding the Rick speeches about intelligence, it’s not like it’s something Harmon made up. Once on the train an old man and I were talking about the state of the city and after a good 20 minutes of conversation he said “Boy, you sure are smart... I bet your life is hard.” and that struck me then and had stayed with me since.

If you are perceptive and insightful and quick-witted, the likelihood that you will be able to ignore all the bullshit goes way down, so a smart person living the same life as a dumb person might feel shittier about it than the dumb dumb would.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 13, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I found a box of Strawberry Smiggles and they probably taste better than Szechuan sauce.

It's all marsh mellows

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CelticPredator posted:

I found a box of Strawberry Smiggles and they probably taste better than Szechuan sauce.

It's all marsh mellows

I see demons.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

If you are perceptive and insightful and quick-witted, the likelihood that you will be able to ignore all the bullshit goes way down, so a smart person living the same life as a dumb person might feel shittier about it than the dumb dumb would.

I can't objectively say you're wrong but I refuse to believe this on the grounds that it's exactly what someone would make up if they were into self-justifying bullshit.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Taima posted:

I can't objectively say you're wrong but I refuse to believe this on the grounds that it's exactly what someone would make up if they were into self-justifying bullshit.

"Ignorance is bliss" -- it's a thing people say. :shrug:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

The movie The Accountant was literally just 90 minutes of Ben Affleck autistically no-scope headshotting people while doing super math and it was very much a “how did the hundred of people involved in this film let this happen” and Rolling Stone’s Peter Travers just called it offensive. I can’t believe this is still a thing.

Regarding the Rick speeches about intelligence, it’s not like it’s something Harmon made up. Once on the train an old man and I were talking about the state of the city and after a good 20 minutes of conversation he said “Boy, you sure are smart... I bet your life is hard.” and that struck me then and had stayed with me since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depressive_realism

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

For a second at first, I thought it was going to be a bummer version of magical realism. :downs:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

prefect posted:

"Ignorance is bliss" -- it's a thing people say. :shrug:

People do indeed say it, at times.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

CelticPredator posted:

It's all marsh mellows

I read this and thought of that run of boxes of Booty-Os. That's exactly the kind of thing FYE would stock, I thought to myself, and then i googled it and what do you know...

Also, when you said "all marshmallows," I assumed you just meant "a lot of marshmallows," but it turns out its just a box of lucky charms marshmallows and nothing else. Doesn't even look like its strawberry flavored. I'd call it lazy, but I guess anyone buying it probably just wants to display the box and for it to be full of something so it sounds legit when you shake it. Marshmallows probably get mealworms less easily? At that point you may as well just fill it with hardened foam balls or something though.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Two Brothers live action trailer.

https://youtu.be/tBUUoyZoja4

It came out a year ago, but that's okay.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I bought it and it will look nice on the shelf after the smiggles rest comfortably in my belly.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Hey Goons, Not to derail your great discussions, I'm going to shamelessly use my status in this thread, as some one who works on the show, to do some promotion a personal project that you guys "might?" be interested in.

Me and another Rick and Morty artist are starting a semi Art educational Youtube channel to help people learn how to draw for Animation. We're gonna talk about our experience working on TV animation, and we're gonna hang out and give you tips and redraw art that people send in. If you are an aspiring cartoonist you might find this interesting. But also we mostly joke around and stuff. Here is our first video. please subscribe if you do that whole youtube thing or what ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdKMP2zthBc

And send me your fuckin' art if you like to draw. Or if you don't draw. just leave hot take in the comments because I know you all are so witty with all that internet posting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Subbed. I love your stuff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Btw I'm sending you some poo poo soon because I have this style I'm on the cusp of understanding but I need someone to lean me into a new direction so this is perfect. I'll shoot it over when I get back home to Colorado Tuesday.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

LividLiquid posted:

I'm honestly wondering if the fans of this show being terrible is going to change how they make the show. I mean, it can't not, right? Once you figure out that terrible people are drawn to your art because they see themselves in it, you'd probably start second-guessing lines of dialog like the aforementioned evil/smart line.

Writer turnover means that by the 3rd or 4th season a lot of the staffers tend to have been fans of a show who wanted to work on it, so if the fans are bad things very often get a lot worse, yes.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Subbed. I love your stuff.

thank you. I knew I could count on goons <3. and yes. send me your stuff bro, Hopefully ill be able to look at, cant guarantee you'll make it onto the show but ill send you some feedback regardless.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Typical posted:

Hey Goons, Not to derail your great discussions, I'm going to shamelessly use my status in this thread, as some one who works on the show, to do some promotion a personal project that you guys "might?" be interested in.

Me and another Rick and Morty artist are starting a semi Art educational Youtube channel to help people learn how to draw for Animation. We're gonna talk about our experience working on TV animation, and we're gonna hang out and give you tips and redraw art that people send in. If you are an aspiring cartoonist you might find this interesting. But also we mostly joke around and stuff. Here is our first video. please subscribe if you do that whole youtube thing or what ever.

And send me your fuckin' art if you like to draw. Or if you don't draw. just leave hot take in the comments because I know you all are so witty with all that internet posting.

It was too easy to find Waldo.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Can you redo your show, but in Anime? Also do an episode on why anime looks better than the childish scribbles of Western animated television. Thank you!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Bust Rodd posted:

The amazing thing about The Accountant is how they can keep the film going for over two hours without really addressing Ben Affleck earning his living cooking books for the mob. Yay, he saved the girl! :) And is also a criminal! :raise:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The amazing thing about The Accountant is how they can keep the film going for over two hours without really addressing Ben Affleck earning his living cooking books for the mob. Yay, he saved the girl! :) And is also a criminal! :raise:

While the movie is pretty dumb, they do kinda spell out what happens here. Every mob he cooks the books for ends up having a federal case made against, constructed entirely from the information he collected, which in theory puts them out of business permanently. He's not working for them to make a buck, he works for them and then puts them in jail/impoverishes them through informing the treasury.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Typical posted:

Awesome, wish you the best.

sassassin posted:

Writer turnover means that by the 3rd or 4th season a lot of the staffers tend to have been fans of a show who wanted to work on it, so if the fans are bad things very often get a lot worse, yes.

I was gonna say, season 3 at times very much felt like fans of the show writing it and trying to delve deeper into the characters while emulating the dynamic that made the show popular. It's a tricky game, because you're effectively making certain aspects of them canon (for example, that Beth was a psycho child who abandoned another child in a secret playland,) while trying not to disrupt the general atmosphere that allows the show to be what it is (which is why Beth gets over this revelation and her two-episode arc on whether she's a clone or not gets wrapped up very neatly; not to mention reuniting with Jerry.)

As far as Rick's intelligence, I don't think it's a stretch to say that most people use intelligence - or logic or reason or sense or whatever you want to call it - to justify them doing less than righteous things. "Why would I pay for this song when I can easily get it for free this other way?" "I'm a great person in real life, so what if I blow off steam being a jerk on an anonymous internet forum?" "Doesn't it make sense to prevent this group of people from going to a place if there's a chance one of them will try to blow it up?"

Obviously Rick's intelligence is more tangible in that he can do amazing things no one else can, because he knows how to make them a reality (the portal gun, for example.) But as Dr. Wong pointed out, despite his vast intelligence and his family respecting him for it, ostensibly because he can use it to get out of any bad situation in the most satisfying way, he ended up as a half-chewed pickle dripping in blood and feces. And while he's often pointed out that love is just a series of chemical reactions and several characters have pointed out that they have infinite realities to reset things, he continues to stay with the family just as they ended up reuniting without and despite him in the finale.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

Can you redo your show, but in Anime? Also do an episode on why anime looks better than the childish scribbles of Western animated television. Thank you!

Sorry, but people aren't interested in the truth.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Subbed & Submitting, Typical! The city I just moved to is a wasteland, everyone here is a retired landscape painter and wouldn't know how to draw a laser gun if i was pointing one at their face, so this sounds awesome!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

One last Rick and Morty music remix: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnn6810lzO8

Now Chetreo has officially done one for each episode in season 3.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
While watching that video, I noticed there's a basketball hoop over the garage. Who is that for? Does anyone in their family even play basketball?

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c82B8yJFca4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I Am Alive is still probably the dude's best remix. It's perfect