Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Sup future Plateau buddy? Hope you're settling in the Mile End (western part), there's a decent Anglo presence there. Plus it's drat close to Ubisoft.

Anyhow, in Canada, you want to avoid the big 3. Rogers, Bell, Telus, also known as Robelus, have a tight oligopoly and charge usurious prices for their connections unless you land a (limited time) promotion or retention deal. Quebec is slightly different in that the names aren't the same, but the principle is the same. Rogers and Telus don't have much of a presence and Videotron is there instead. Videotron is slightly better at competing, so prices are second best in the country, but they have godawful transfer caps.

Instead, you want to look at wholesale network operators, who essentially borrow the big 3's networks to operate their own service. They aren't nearly as abusive in terms of pricing and transfer caps, you can basically get the same packages as the main providers, but unlimited. The largest downside is about to be addressed by the CRTC, but for now wholesale cannot access their parent network's fibre to the home infrastructure, so you don't get fibre at more reasonable prices.

In the ROC, I'm told Rogers does a poo poo job of handling cable for wholesale operators - they'll just be spotty and in no rush to fix any network issues. Thankfully, Videotron does not seem that dishonest with their wholesale operations, so cable is a viable (and the best, in my opinion) alternative in Quebec.

The main wholesale operators in Quebec are Teksavvy, Electronic Box and Distributel. (There are more, I think, but those 3 are the ones that aren't buried in 1 star reviews.) They all have cable (and I think DSL too but what the gently caress) internet with similar prices. EB had a reputation for having better customer service, but as their popularity grew, they fell in line with the others due to increased demand.

I'm with Distributel right now, but only because they gave me a retention deal when I wanted to switch because they don't offer a 15/10 plan (I telecommute and need more than 1.5Mbps upload, cheapest upload tier and in don't care about 100+ packages and the prices that come with them). Determine what are your speed and transfer needs, do a bit of research, and you should be all set.

Caveat: Bell and Videotron both offer improved prices if you take mobile and TV with them along with internet. Last I checked, they are still more expensive with those discounts than indies, but if you want TV for some reason, it might be worth investigating.

E:

Powershift posted:

Still expect absolutely nothing for $50/month and decent internet for $100/month because prices are still dictated by Bell or Videotron, again, garbage companies who hate you.

FWIW, my current deal with Distributel is 46$/month pretax for unlimited 30/10. This might come as a shock if you're used to getting gigabit at that price back home (no idea what internet looks like in NZ (you were from NZ right?)), but it's unfortunately a pretty loving good deal for these parts.

Jan fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I was previously paying $89 a month in NZ for unlimited 50/10 VDSL and I liked it

Thanks for all this, this gives me heaps to look into. And yeah I'm going to be a whole 9 minutes walk away from work, and just a (long) block away from Ave Mont Royal. Central living best living.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

garbage companies who hate you.
Not an empty quote

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So noticed my Fibre150 is literally the same price as Fibre250. So I try to get on telus chat with an agent to bump me up a tier in speed. Get onto the chat page, 8 people ahead of me in queue. That's fine continue doing my poo poo in another window. An hour later I'm at 2 people. Sigh, whatever, 30 minutes after that, 1 person ahead of me in queue. So I wait... and wait. Over an hour later, it's still 1 person ahead of me in the queue and now well past 10PM by this point and Mrs. Slidebite needs a hand to do a couple things before we go to bed. Jesus christ Telus. :smithicide:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Canadian Internet Access: garbage companies who hate you

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

less than three posted:

Canadian Internet Access: Working Together, to Bring You Less

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I'm going to sign up with teksavvy, on the 30/10 plan as frankly that's enough, especially when it's just me and no flatmates.

I read on dsl reports that the modem they provide by default has a glitchy processor, so I've ordered a slightly different (but still approved) model on Amazon. Unfortunately it seems I can't sign up until I give them the specific serial number of the modem? That's lame, hopefully it arrives earlier rather than later so I can kick off the installation process.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hope this is OK with the mods. I would SA mart this but it's so niche I figured only people in this thread might possibly be interested. I have a Zyxel VSG1432 from my Teksavvy DSL install out west that is pretty much taking up room now that I have Fibre at our new house. If anyone here wants it let me know I'll cut you a sweet dealo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm going to sign up with teksavvy, on the 30/10 plan as frankly that's enough, especially when it's just me and no flatmates.

I read on dsl reports that the modem they provide by default has a glitchy processor, so I've ordered a slightly different (but still approved) model on Amazon. Unfortunately it seems I can't sign up until I give them the specific serial number of the modem? That's lame, hopefully it arrives earlier rather than later so I can kick off the installation process.

Teksavvy is good and cool and I had them for years, hope you enjoy. My building got fibre recently (1Gbps up/down 2TB cap for $69, thanks Novus) which is the only reason I stopped with Teksavvy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm not a huge fan of Teksavvy, I stopped using them when they went from just being poor value for money to also traffic shaping because they oversold their network to an extent that would make the incumbents blush.

They're not bad per se, but they get a pass on a lot of poor practices, including blaming the incumbents for outages and issues that are their own fault.

That said, if they have a competitively priced package in your area you may as well.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

infernal machines posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Teksavvy, I stopped using them when they went from just being poor value for money to also traffic shaping because they oversold their network to an extent that would make the incumbents blush.

They're not bad per se, but they get a pass on a lot of poor practices, including blaming the incumbents for outages and issues that are their own fault.

That said, if they have a competitively priced package in your area you may as well.

I had 2 short outages in 4 years on Teksavvy cable that were 100% Shaw's fault (including one where their workers literally dug through a line), have never experienced traffic shaping, and have always had amazing value from them compared to Shaw or Telus. TekSavvy even took the CRTC ruling and cut prices on their packages, rather than doing anything else which the incumbents would have done. I have no idea what you're on about with any of that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
My post history in this very thread might give you a hint.

They cost more for lower speed tiers than the incumbents, I understand why, but this is value for money. They also make you purchase a modem, on cable this is a losing proposition because the $100+ dollar modems are often unsupported for newer services, within months. Again, whatever*.

In Ontario they've had massive capacity issues, year after year. This is explicitly why they introduced traffic shaping on their network here. The issues occur because they don't have enough links to the last-mile provider's network, the CEO even admitted as much, after several years of them blaming the last-mile provider for the slowdowns. This continues to be an issue.

I personally have experienced several outages/service degradation that were repeated blamed on the last mile providers right up until resolution when they determined that it was their equipment that was at fault. I've documented a couple of them in this thread.

I'm not saying they're terrible, I'm saying they seem to have a bulletproof reputation among goons that they don't necessarily deserve.

*Other independents have rental options, only Teksavvy doesn't for whatever reason.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My post history in this very thread might give you a hint.

They cost more for lower speed tiers than the incumbents, I understand why, but this is value for money. They also make you purchase a modem, on cable this is a losing proposition because the $100+ dollar modems are often unsupported for newer services, within months. Again, whatever*.

In Ontario they've had massive capacity issues, year after year. This is explicitly why they introduced traffic shaping on their network here. The issues occur because the don't have enough links to the last-mile provider's network, the CEO even admitted as much, after several years of them blaming the last-mile provider for the slowdowns.

I personally have experienced several outages/service degradation that were repeated blamed on the last mile providers right up until resolution when they determined that it was their equipment that was at fault. I've document a couple of them in this thread.

I'm not saying they're terrible, I'm saying they seem to have a bulletproof reputation among goons that they don't necessarily deserve.

*Other independents have rental options, only Teksavvy doesn't for whatever reason.

I had 25/30Mbps with no cap, and nothing from the incumbents in Vancouver could come close to matching that as they all had low caps and cost more, so I'm not sure how you can say they don't offer value. I also had the same cable modem, which at the time was 75 brand new, not 100, from NCIX, for the 4 years of service with them (also, they do offer a rental option). I'm honestly not sure if things are that different in Ontario, or if you're just nuts, because I have no idea idea what you're talking about with any of that.

Maybe leave Ontario, it sounds lovely as hell for many reasons.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
IM has been holding a grudge with teksavvy over one incident for as long as this thread has existed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I now have Rogers gigabit, which obviously, Teksavvy doesn't offer. Around the time I switched from them I had 150Mbit (which they had stopped offering) with a 400GB cap, for $3 less per month, I got 250Mbit Rogers, with unlimited transfer. I am paying $15 more a month now for my gigabit service.

I also didn't have to buy 3 different modems in that time period, despite the service upgrades, because they were upgraded as needed along with the service.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I now have Rogers gigabit, which obviously, Teksavvy doesn't offer. Around the time I switched from them I had 150Mbit (which they had stopped offering) with a 400GB cap, for $3 less per month, I got 250Mbit Rogers, with unlimited transfer. I am paying $15 more a month now for my gigabit service.

What are you paying for Roger's gigabit? With what cap? Same speed up/down?

3 different modems in that time period

Still calling bullshit on this.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CLAM DOWN posted:

I had 25/30Mbps with no cap, and nothing from the incumbents in Vancouver could come close to matching that as they all had low caps and cost more, so I'm not sure how you can say they don't offer value. I also had the same cable modem, which at the time was 75 brand new, not 100, from NCIX, for the 4 years of service with them (also, they do offer a rental option). I'm honestly not sure if things are that different in Ontario, or if you're just nuts, because I have no idea idea what you're talking about with any of that.

Maybe leave Ontario, it sounds lovely as hell for many reasons.

you're kinda proving his point about Teksavvy's alleged reputation if your response to criticism of them is literally "move"

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm paying $100 a month for 500 down/50 up, no cap. Not a great price, but not awful by any means.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

No cap, ~950Mbps/50Mbps, $112/mo. (technically it's $68/mo. and the rest is some cable bundle, but I don't watch cable, and it's a bundle price, so w/e)

I've had my modem changed three times since switching to Rogers, because the older modems didn't support the speed teir I upgraded to or added DOCSIS 3.1 support. I had Teksavvy (Cable and DSL) from 2007 to 2015, I bought four different modems in that time, because any time I wanted to upgrade service, the old modem was not supported for the new service tier*.

*I'm not saying that their fault, just that having to buy a modem isn't great for everyone.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 12, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

you're kinda proving his point about Teksavvy's alleged reputation if your response to criticism of them is literally "move"

That was a joke, pal. Welcome to Something Awful.

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm paying $100 a month for 500 down/50 up, no cap

No cap, ~950Mbps/50Mbps, $112/mo

Haha those prices are terrible, wow.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The only way to get better is to live in a building serviced by Beanfield.

There's not a lot of those that aren't new construction condos.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CLAM DOWN posted:

That was a joke, pal. Welcome to Something Awful.

Haha those prices are terrible, wow.

yeah, they're not great no.

Unfortunately they're literally the best I can get in Toronto, and my phone is tied into Rogers anyways since there's corporate discount/line shenanigans

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
How are those prices terrible? Not so long ago the cost for home internet was near $8/Mbps. Now we're seeing anywhere from $0.10 to 0.50 /Mbps on cable and fibre connections. DSL prices still suck though, but not much can be done about it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bigmandan posted:

How are those prices terrible? Not so long ago the cost for home internet was near $8/Mbps. Now we're seeing anywhere from $0.10 to 0.50 /Mbps on cable and fibre connections. DSL prices still suck though, but not much can be done about it.

Because OP lives in a building with an indy fibre buildout. You can get the same here in Toronto, but not many buildings have it.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

NZAmoeba posted:

The modems affected by that speed bug are based on the Puma 6 chipset (Cisco DCP3848 and Hitron CDA3 for Teksavvy). The downside is that those two modems are the only ones Teksavvy has that are approved for speeds above 30 mbit on Rogers. If you are going with the 30/10 plan, an older mdoem is fine, but just be aware that you won't be able to upgrade speeds without also upgrading modems.

Fortunately, a new modem, the TC4400, is in the process of being approved for Teksavvy on Rogers, and it is based on a broadcom chipset and doens't have any of the problems the Puma 6 based modems do.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

EoRaptor posted:

The modems affected by that speed bug are based on the Puma 6 chipset (Cisco DCP3848 and Hitron CDA3 for Teksavvy). The downside is that those two modems are the only ones Teksavvy has that are approved for speeds above 30 mbit on Rogers. If you are going with the 30/10 plan, an older mdoem is fine, but just be aware that you won't be able to upgrade speeds without also upgrading modems.

Fortunately, a new modem, the TC4400, is in the process of being approved for Teksavvy on Rogers, and it is based on a broadcom chipset and doens't have any of the problems the Puma 6 based modems do.

This would be Videotron, not Rogers, and my boring old DCM 475 is approved to go up to 120Mbps on their network. (I haven't asked above that.)

Maybe, just maybe, Rogers is a poo poo company that hates you for going wholesale and is acting in bad faith? :shrug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Rogers does the same thing for their own customers. The modems aren't certified for higher tiers because they use modems that can handle more up/down channels. Specifically because they have so many customers they run into congestion issues otherwise.

It's just that Rogers rents you the modem with your service, so when they want to upgrade a neighbourhood they send you a new one, and Teksavvy makes you buy them. So you use what you bought until you want to upgrade or Rogers decertifies the modem.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Re: Teksavvy in Montreal

Videotron have been nothing but wonderful whenever I've had to get Teksavvy to send a tech in. They even send techs on weekends IIRC. Robelus have actively fought with providing lovely customer service but Videotron I have to say have provided drat good support for TPIAs.

I know Teksavvy has a bad rap in Ontario due to the congestion but they're pretty drat good here. Haven't had to call a CS rep since I moved into my new place, and before was when I moved into my old place.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Because OP lives in a building with an indy fibre buildout. You can get the same here in Toronto, but not many buildings have it.

I'm changing to a new fibre ISP in a month or two when they setup their gear in my tower so I'll be paying just $49/mo down from $69 for this kind of speed with no cap god drat

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

EoRaptor posted:

Yeah I got the TC4300 instead. It wasn't expensive so I don't mind if I have to replace it in a year or so, but more likely if I switch to something else later on, it's going to be fiber anyway.

edit: also one of the downsides of no longer living with flatmates is that the internet bill is no longer split 3 ways, sigh...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

EoRaptor posted:

gently caress.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm changing to a new fibre ISP in a month or two when they setup their gear in my tower so I'll be paying just $49/mo down from $69 for this kind of speed with no cap god drat

Congrats you are the 1% :D

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I'm in contact with many of the CEO's from these MDU fiber build outs and you guys don't even use your 1gb/s anyways. It's all just posturing at this point since it's so easy to do in an MDU.

Try to actually run that constantly you'll find it's almost impossible. Typically they only bring in a couple gb if using wireless or 10gb on fiber. The business case isn't there to do anything more. It will continue until a webapp comes out that actually requires high bandwidth constant use. Then you'll see your caps and/or higher pricing come back.

The first thing from Google that needs 100Mb/s constantly and their tunes will start changing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

I'm in contact with many of the CEO's from these MDU fiber build outs and you guys don't even use your 1gb/s anyways. It's all just posturing at this point since it's so easy to do in an MDU.

Try to actually run that constantly you'll find it's almost impossible. Typically they only bring in a couple gb if using wireless or 10gb on fiber. The business case isn't there to do anything more. It will continue until a webapp comes out that actually requires high bandwidth constant use. Then you'll see your caps and/or higher pricing come back.

The first thing from Google that needs 100Mb/s constantly and their tunes will start changing.

drat right I don't use it all, it's solely for bragging rights. Nothing I download from utilizes the whole connection, not even Steam. But why would I not get it, when it's cheaper than any alternative.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

CLAM DOWN posted:

$49/mo down from $69 for this kind of speed with no cap god drat

Not having this is a small price to pay for the privilege of not living in Vancouver.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

Not having this is a small price to pay for the privilege of not living in Vancouver.

Technically I live in New Westminster :smug:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicFrog posted:

gently caress.

It is a specific set of circumstances for the bug to trigger, and it only affects latency in online games. You need to be downloading osmething with the modem and be playing a game at the same time. If you are sharing the connection it's pretty easy to have it occur, but if you are the sole user of the connection it's pretty rare (windows doing something in the background).

There is a thread somewhere on dslreports that goes into it in detail if you want to know more. All the rogers hitron modems are also affected, so it's not teksavvy only.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

EoRaptor posted:

It is a specific set of circumstances for the bug to trigger, and it only affects latency in online games. You need to be downloading osmething with the modem and be playing a game at the same time. If you are sharing the connection it's pretty easy to have it occur, but if you are the sole user of the connection it's pretty rare (windows doing something in the background).

There is a thread somewhere on dslreports that goes into it in detail if you want to know more. All the rogers hitron modems are also affected, so it's not teksavvy only.

To add to this, I have a CDA3 and it's been the most reliable modem I've had yet. I play games online, download a ton of poo poo, and have my family using the connection at the same time and have never run into an issue.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Finally got a hold of a Telus guy through chat. Shockingly simple and troublefree to get my Fibre 150 upgraded to 250. I can get gigabit now too but I can't justify the extra $60/month for it. As it is my 150 was more than adequate but 250 was basically the same price.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

slidebite posted:

Finally got a hold of a Telus guy through chat. Shockingly simple and troublefree to get my Fibre 150 upgraded to 250. I can get gigabit now too but I can't justify the extra $60/month for it. As it is my 150 was more than adequate but 250 was basically the same price.

Still waiting for this to show up in Edmonton. Arrgghhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Still waiting for this to show up in London. Arrgghhh.