Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Perestroika posted:

They should give Ratling Guns flak ammo to completely murderfuck flying units. :getin:

This is my idea. It's the only niche not covered, otherwise they're too similar to warpfire throwers/death wind globadiers. Give them bonus damage vs flyers so they shred harpies/bats/etc with decent range got very poor accuracy so they're still not that hot vs dragons or other large single flyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Randarkman posted:

It should at least be a thing that ranged units ignore having their LoS blocked by expendable units. I mean that's an actual unit trait now, so it shold be put to more use.

Myself I've had decent use out of my warpfire throwers. Though I usually place them in front of my artillery-heavy army. When the enemy gets close I tie them down with menace below and fire away, when they get too close I charge in my melee units, and try to find a gap or a flank, or better an elevated position.

The issue with the whole LOS blocked thing is it's not that they're worried they might hit some allies with attacks - they'll happily fire if that's the case. The issue is that they don't really understand splash/area damage and think they can't hit ANY enemies. It's one thing to fire through your own ranks to hit the enemy but it would be pointless to just fire into your own ranks if the only casualties are going to be on your own side.

I think Warpfire throwers just need to either have a bit more of a trajectory on their attacks, so they can fire over friendlies more easily, or they just need to understand that their attacks will penetrate through the allied units in the way to hit the enemies. When they can figure out how to get a shot they're really effective, but they're really fiddly about trying to get that angle.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Artillery has been acting weird in this game. Using attack ground makes them do this stupid spinning behavior, and even when I set them to 'guard' they'll still take it upon themselves to move way too close and inevitably get swarmed n by enemies. I feel I have to babysit and micromanage them a lot more than I did in the first game, where I could position grudge throwers to literally fire nonstop until they ran out of ammo, with no LoS issues.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Artillery has been acting weird in this game. Using attack ground makes them do this stupid spinning behavior, and even when I set them to 'guard' they'll still take it upon themselves to move way too close and inevitably get swarmed n by enemies. I feel I have to babysit and micromanage them a lot more than I did in the first game, where I could position grudge throwers to literally fire nonstop until they ran out of ammo, with no LoS issues.

Re: artillery being weird I've noticed that for some reason when the AI is firing hellcannons at me the shots are consistently way short of actually hitting anything. I'm not complaining, exactly, but I don't think that's probably intended behavior. I sort of wonder if the AI is trying to manually aim it and just doing a really lovely job.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I noticed the hell cannon thing too. I wonder if they nerfed artillery accuracy at long ranges or something; I've seen Projectiles fall VERY short of their targets. The only good thing about this prospect is to define accurate artillery/buffs apart from the inaccurate stuff. Benzene in the first game, aside from the Projectiles properties, even inaccurate artillery was still accurate enough.

Having Luminarks be rail gun accurate vs rock lobbas be Acme Catapult quality would be a nice contrast.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I wish the colonies were just a little further south. I want to take the Skeggi province and they happen to be in the way of that. If they were further south I'd ally with them every game and let them have all the DE land before booting them out of the jungle, but they obviously don't see the big plan so they can't be part of it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panfilo posted:

This is my idea. It's the only niche not covered, otherwise they're too similar to warpfire throwers/death wind globadiers. Give them bonus damage vs flyers so they shred harpies/bats/etc with decent range got very poor accuracy so they're still not that hot vs dragons or other large single flyers.

Let them be a good counter to cavalry skirmishers too and I'm in. Nothing like mincing one of the most consistently annoying unit types with high-tech overkill weaponry.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pendent posted:

Re: artillery being weird I've noticed that for some reason when the AI is firing hellcannons at me the shots are consistently way short of actually hitting anything. I'm not complaining, exactly, but I don't think that's probably intended behavior. I sort of wonder if the AI is trying to manually aim it and just doing a really lovely job.

Hellcannon projectiles are supposed to be able to adjust their trajectory in mid-air to hit their target, right? Maybe something in that behaviour got screwed up.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

toasterwarrior posted:

Let them be a good counter to cavalry skirmishers too and I'm in. Nothing like mincing one of the most consistently annoying unit types with high-tech overkill weaponry.

This is a great suggestion too. Cavalry skirmishers are super annoying and unlike most other races Skaven ranged units aren't going to outrange and outdamage them easily.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The issue with the whole LOS blocked thing is it's not that they're worried they might hit some allies with attacks - they'll happily fire if that's the case. The issue is that they don't really understand splash/area damage and think they can't hit ANY enemies. It's one thing to fire through your own ranks to hit the enemy but it would be pointless to just fire into your own ranks if the only casualties are going to be on your own side.

I think Warpfire throwers just need to either have a bit more of a trajectory on their attacks, so they can fire over friendlies more easily, or they just need to understand that their attacks will penetrate through the allied units in the way to hit the enemies. When they can figure out how to get a shot they're really effective, but they're really fiddly about trying to get that angle.

They should have an ability they can toggle for safe or unsafe firing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Speaking of skirmish cavalry, I wonder if they are going to give Norsca any tweaks when they join the Mortal Empires. While they are overall great, I forsee two issues with them:

-When their roster got fleshed out their Marauder horsemen units became flat out inferior to the foot counterparts. Javelins are great and Hunters give reasonable ranged armor piercing. Wolves made great cavalry, so you end up with a really mediocre skirmish unit surrounded by better alternatives. They should find some subtle ways to make these units still relevant in a pack of monsters and hairy elephants.

-Previously their gimmick was being able to occupy coasts and faction capitals. With everyone now able to paint the map this isn't unique anymore. An easy solution would be for the hostile climate coastal settlements work like they did for conquered coastal settlements in the first one (only upgraded to tier 2, no walls, limited buildings). This would be unique in that at least they don't have to manage the harsh climate penalties and encourage them to aggressively expand everywhere.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I though the point of horsemen was laboriously kiting entire enemy armies to death, even if theyre all expensive elite units.
Kholek is unstoppable backed up by 19 horses

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
You can download a mod that unlocks some factions like Empire and Dwarfs, sans DLC units. Dwarfs got some major overhauls.

The +melee attack aura rune has been moved from the Runesmith to the Thane, who has also gained access to the Tormentor Sword (which you might have come across in the SP campaign). It adds a "can't move" debuff for 20 seconds or so in a 30m radius around the Thane.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Actually night runners are good vs skirmish cavalry. They're fast and have the slowing attacks and can fire while running. They can beat a skirmish cav 1v1 and also do really well vs them in melee.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Mukip posted:

You can download a mod that unlocks some factions like Empire and Dwarfs, sans DLC units. Dwarfs got some major overhauls.

The +melee attack aura rune has been moved from the Runesmith to the Thane, who has also gained access to the Tormentor Sword (which you might have come across in the SP campaign). It adds a "can't move" debuff for 20 seconds or so in a 30m radius around the Thane.

I had no idea up to this point those runes were aura effects, holy poo poo. I always assumed they just affected the runesmith and thought they were kind of mediocre.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Defending Tlaxtlan against four full stacks of Skaven was fun. Dinosaurs wading into breaches eating hundreds of rats.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Can somebody tell me their opening moves for very hard hexoatl? I can just baaaaaarely win the starting battle, then the skeggi's second stack shows up and I lose.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Actually night runners are good vs skirmish cavalry. They're fast and have the slowing attacks and can fire while running. They can beat a skirmish cav 1v1 and also do really well vs them in melee.

Yeah but for the sake of unit role diversity you'd want something for Ratling Gunners to be also good at to encourage their use, and longer range probably won't be enough to have them considered over Warpfire Throwers alone.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

Can somebody tell me their opening moves for very hard hexoatl? I can just baaaaaarely win the starting battle, then the skeggi's second stack shows up and I lose.

I played my current game on hard, not very hard, but I sat and recruited skink javelins until I had a full stack before I went after Skeggi.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I spent a lot of influence trying to keep Ulthuan strong and united and two Tiranoc stacks attacking Lothern is my reward.

When Tyrion gets home you're in big trouble, young lady.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

re: warpfire throwers. Try lining your meatshields up in two distinct angled wings, like the arms of a v with a hole in the center. With some encouragement you should be able to get the enemy blob up between the wings and then you can commit warcrimes through the opening to your heart's content.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Asehujiko posted:

I'm sure most people know this but for those that don't:

You can play the game on very hard and set the battle difficulty to normal or whatever you feel is better. On harder battle difficulties the AI gets stupid bonuses to morale, melee attack and melee defense.
So on very hard difficulty if you have a unit of spearmen and they have a unit of spearmen their spearmen will far out perform yours.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
For Ratling Gunners, I could see the weapon firing in a 10 shot Salvo, with each Projectile having rifle bullet speed but bad accuracy. Have it share the upgrades globadiers receive and you have a unit decent at damaging fast moving flyers or light cavalry. Giving the Projectiles significant bonus vs large would make them a lot of fun vs dangerous flyers like Vargheists. They'd be fairly easy to model too - just a variation of warpfire throwers with ammo drums/bullet feeds on the loader and a chain gun on the gunner.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Jezzails might make more sense functioning as artillery units. Unlike warp lightning cannon they don't have AoE but might have something else to make up for it; perhaps Perfect Stalk like waystalkers which not only stealths them but also doesnt reveal them when firing. With a long range and difficult to spot projectile it would be great as an annoying way to pick off enemy lords in multilayer, and in single player you could put it by itself somewhere it will have clear los with less risk of getting swarmed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Skaven are already pretty drat powerful with a tool for nearly every occasion. I don't think they need anything more.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Perhaps, it's just wishful thinking.

Maybe another possibility would be to have Ratling Gunners simply be the RoR version of Warpfire throwers. Then you could only take 1 at a time.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Perhaps, it's just wishful thinking.

Maybe another possibility would be to have Ratling Gunners simply be the RoR version of Warpfire throwers. Then you could only take 1 at a time.

Listen, I want my goddamn techno-magic machineguns, plural, you have to let me have this.

Cythereal posted:

Skaven are already pretty drat powerful with a tool for nearly every occasion. I don't think they need anything more.

Hell no, I'll be legit bummed if I can't go full-on WW1 ratmen; that's the whole appeal of Skaven and Total Warhammer in the first place.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Asehujiko posted:

1: move to just inside your territory and recruit as many javelin skins as you can -> beat the enemy army that attacks in between turns
2: take the settlement+weakened army, demolish the skink building in hexoatl and replace with saurus building, recruit jav skinks again
3: recruit sauruses and heal, put army into vision stance
4+: use vision to look at skeggi, if you can take the armies near it move up to just inside your territory again, keep recruiting -> beat them up when they attack you
?: attack Skeggi, probably get attack by the weakened armies while sieging, beat them up

IIRC I moved towards Skeggi on turn 5 but I don't remember for sure it's been a week.

e: Also build the gold mine and upgrade your settlement obviously, skink barrios in new free slots, you should have the cash I think. Upgrade the saurus building and replace with shielded sauruses if you still have anything left.

Absum fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 13, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Did that tabletop majigger have RoR type units for the 4 warhammer2 factions?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm sure most people know this but for those that don't:

You can play the game on very hard and set the battle difficulty to normal or whatever you feel is better. On harder battle difficulties the AI gets stupid bonuses to morale, melee attack and melee defense.
So on very hard difficulty if you have a unit of spearmen and they have a unit of spearmen their spearmen will far out perform yours.
I know, I was asking about campaign stuff though.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Just since a few people have asked on the mod page, some other dude put a tier 4 settlements mod up a couple days before mine because I was playing the game/busy, and his is pretty buggy (the most likely answer is he copied my TW1 one for TW2 without actually understanding what it was doing). If you're crashing, especially playing the Skaven, make sure you have my version and not his.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Cythereal posted:

What a lame opinion, of course they need Pavise Sniper Squads, Gatling guns and lawnmower chariots.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Panfilo posted:

Jezzails might make more sense functioning as artillery units. Unlike warp lightning cannon they don't have AoE but might have something else to make up for it; perhaps Perfect Stalk like waystalkers which not only stealths them but also doesnt reveal them when firing. With a long range and difficult to spot projectile it would be great as an annoying way to pick off enemy lords in multilayer, and in single player you could put it by itself somewhere it will have clear los with less risk of getting swarmed.

I just imagine Jezzails just being a gun unit with range comparable to artillery, they are basically equipped with sniper rifles

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
(nerf doomwheels)

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

LordAbaddon posted:

I just imagine Jezzails just being a gun unit with range comparable to artillery, they are basically equipped with sniper rifles

12-men unit with high accuracy, long range and low reload?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Dwarf and empire cannons should be able to fire a short ranged blast of grapeshot, like they could in the TT (several editions ago)

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Siets posted:

My campaign just got completely hosed over in one turn. Right as the high elves complete their fourth ritual, the next turn they immediately break our military alliance, declare war on me, AND confederate the second largest high elf faction (Teclis) that happens to be interspersed all throughout my southern territories because we had been allies for most of the campaign.

I'm now at war with high elves who instantly own over half the map and also have over eight full doomstack armies already near most of my major province capitals. I had NO idea it was coming because I was over 200+ relations with them well in the green and we were military-loving-allies. What is this poo poo? Does ritual four automatically force war or something? What a lovely way for this campaign to end. Ugh. :(

edit: Apparently they didn't suffer any diplomacy penalties for backstabbing the gently caress out of me either. They are still bright green to New World Colonies who I graciously allowed to stay in Settler's Coast because they were my first friends and I got sentimental about it. Now NWC still regards Lothern as bright green allies and won't even back me up in my darkest hour. gently caress warmbloods forever. :argh:

That's why I let the Dark Elves finish the fourth ritual first and I'm holding off until every other faction finishes wiping them out. They're number one in strength while the skaven and lizardmen are pretty much gimped. After the dust settles I plan on recalling my armies home and then let them come. :D

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Panfilo posted:

This is a great suggestion too. Cavalry skirmishers are super annoying and unlike most other races Skaven ranged units aren't going to outrange and outdamage them easily.

Just carpet the map in rats and rat summons. Try kiting now, assholes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I hate to break it to you guys but rattling gunners are going to be exactly like warp fire throwers except with armor piercing