Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

friday feel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBjypOKPz2o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

corn in the bible posted:

Some other Fire Emblem games do that too

Huh, I'll look forward to that because I am planning on playing the following games as I move forward.

I only heard about the support stuff in the later games, but I was surprised just how much character even your minor units get in this game, because I was under the assumption that was a thing they only started with later games.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Takumi Naramura posted:

So, we've finished almost every map except the special areas, like the last dungeon.
Also we still need to make some adjustments, but all the enemies and bosses are functioning. Traps and puzzles are also properly set.
These days we are concentrating on the events and such.

La-Mulana 2 is near :pray:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoQex8CB9eA

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Olive! posted:

La-Mulana 2 is near :pray:

will it have jump physics that don't suck this time

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

al-azad posted:

*browses through workflow list*

Finish Corpse Party (last chapter, getting interesting but playing it sucks)
Finish Danganronpa V3 (every chapter is a kick in the dick)
Make prototype in Unity (lol this poo poo ain't happening)
Play some Breath of the Wild (still need to beat desert boss)
Play some Mario and Rabbids (kind of want to finish this before Odyssey)
Finish last chapter Four Swords Adventure (god drat this game is dull!)
loving draw something anything your brushes and paints have been dry for 18 months you hack!!!

Corpse Party: read the LP instead

Also paint something don't be like me and let my painting skills go by the wayside as I while away hours in Battle Brothers

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Also for spooky music time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOst5QzNsFk

from the original, which mostly has better music :colbert:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm playing Fata Morgana as my spooky game and while so far it's been more tragic than spooky, a lot of hosed up poo poo has started happening that has me very worried for the two protagonists. :ohdear:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

The thing is it actually works pretty well, and having those characters that show up in those first 10 missions established already when they come back in again just feels real good.
What are some other games that have a weird structure like this, I can't really think of anything. And I don't mean the whole "you are suddenly a different character for the last mission/post game" because honestly that is pretty standard.

It's not the same thing by any means, but I always got that kind of feeling with the shadow hearts series. You maintained the same cast of characters throughout the game but each game was set up to be split into two very specific parts where, if the devs wanted to, they could have easily made a few adjustments and just ended the game halfway through, but instead chose to keep going with a different plot that develops on the aftermath of the first plot and sees it through to a more final conclusion. Koudelka did it, Shadow Hearts 1 did it, Covenant did it, From The New World did it (though imo not as well as the previous games with From The New World's latter half not feeling anywhere near as interesting as the first half even if some of the designs were cool).

It was neat going through the second parts of these stories and adventuring in a whole new set of areas and finding out how things in this second story are connected with things from the first story.

In a way, Pokemon Silver/Gold/Crystal accomplished the same thing with you being able to travel to Kanto after you clear the main game.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
rented evil within 2 for a spooky weekend, wish me luck

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm about to start Evil Within 2 myself. I wonder which two the Evil is Within this time.

Zaggitz posted:

I'm playing Fata Morgana as my spooky game and while so far it's been more tragic than spooky, a lot of hosed up poo poo has started happening that has me very worried for the two protagonists. :ohdear:
Yeah I really wouldn't call it a spooky game, save for maybe one or two parts. It's cool and good though.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
maybe the Evil Within 2 was the friends we made along the way

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

FirstAidKite posted:

It's not the same thing by any means, but I always got that kind of feeling with the shadow hearts series. You maintained the same cast of characters throughout the game but each game was set up to be split into two very specific parts where, if the devs wanted to, they could have easily made a few adjustments and just ended the game halfway through, but instead chose to keep going with a different plot that develops on the aftermath of the first plot and sees it through to a more final conclusion. Koudelka did it, Shadow Hearts 1 did it, Covenant did it, From The New World did it (though imo not as well as the previous games with From The New World's latter half not feeling anywhere near as interesting as the first half even if some of the designs were cool).

It was neat going through the second parts of these stories and adventuring in a whole new set of areas and finding out how things in this second story are connected with things from the first story.

This sounds pretty neat! I've been meaning to get to those games eventually so this is making me look forward to them even more.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Maybe the Evil Within 2 was the Burst Handgun, Crafting Supplies, and Medical Supplies we preordered along the way.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/r6dcnm.mp4

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Huh, I'll look forward to that because I am planning on playing the following games as I move forward.

I only heard about the support stuff in the later games, but I was surprised just how much character even your minor units get in this game, because I was under the assumption that was a thing they only started with later games.

The DS remakes just suck tbh

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i've been playing the poo poo out of Steamworld Dig 2 and it's super fun!!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The DS remakes just suck tbh

Oh, I already know, I tried playing the DS game first and it completely soured me on the series for a while.

e: I just remember thinking "god, why are these maps so big"

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 13, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
They're that way for a reason, which is that they're nostalgia trips for people who didn't like all this support nonsense or thought the games had gotten easy or the maps were too small or whatever. They're designed to appeal to people who loved the NES games, which is basically just Japanese people, since those never got localized.

e: like here's a map from fire emblem 4, on the snes

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 13, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zaggitz posted:

What door are you at?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

They're that way for a reason, which is that they're nostalgia trips for people who didn't like all this support nonsense or thought the games had gotten easy or the maps were too small or whatever. They're designed to appeal to people who loved the NES games, which is basically just Japanese people, since those never got localized.

e: like here's a map from fire emblem 4, on the snes

Jesus loving christ.

I mean at least it is a pretty nice looking map, but I just can't imagine playing that without wanting to pull out my hair.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TEW2

Gee I wonder what TV show Mikami and co. have been watching lately. :P

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, wandered into an area I was too low of a level for in Tales of Berseria (which usually hasn't been possible) got attacked in the back by a black enemy group and they wiped out my entire party, making me finally find that the game just has the "load save/go to title" thing after you die and because the saving in the game takes too long, I don't save often enough and I think I lost probably about 2 hours :suicide:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

glam rock hamhock posted:

because the saving in the game takes too long

:psyduck:

please use quicksave

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it happened to me except with one of those random super enemies. just assumed it would let you retry battles like trails games do

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah there's a quicksave you can use at literally any time if you just pause the game, the length of time between hard save points is too long to not use them.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

tfw you go to the video game convention and see that you aren't the only quiet cosplayer

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I thought the quick save was the type that would save and quit, which is usually how that type of thing works in games with proper save points.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Spooky music;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Ikt9RJCNk&t=8s

For a little kid this level was stupidly scary. You spend so much time listening to that unnerving, offbeat tune. Waiting for the moment when that thing shows up to ruin everything.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Oh, I thought the quick save was the type that would save and quit, which is usually how that type of thing works in games with proper save points.

Yeah I don't think it actually tells you about it. I only knew about it because people were talking about it in the game's thread when I was playing because I had assumed something similar.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

rudy is one of the weakest parts of wild arms 1 though. his backstory is cool but the fact that he doesn't talk puts a huge damper on the party dynamic since cecilia and jack don't really interact with each other that much and a lot of cecilia's stuff is centered around rudy so a lot of the big moments become the Jack Power Hour

i like what wild arms 2 does where ashley is just a totally regular dude with a big bayonet rifle who then gets turned into a hosed up monster and gains sentai powers

Thank you for reminding me I need to play WA3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

It turns out the fire emblem series is actually good if your first game isn't the remake on the DS but actually one of the GBA games, hmm interesting.

The structure of this game is so weird (7). Hey, you are a tactician hanging out with Lynn, lets meet a ton of characters and 10 missions later well you save the day and Lynn says goodbye to you and suddenly its one year later and you are hanging out with a pretty boy instead.

The thing is it actually works pretty well, and having those characters that show up in those first 10 missions established already when they come back in again just feels real good.
What are some other games that have a weird structure like this, I can't really think of anything. And I don't mean the whole "you are suddenly a different character for the last mission/post game" because honestly that is pretty standard.

Fire Emblem as a series has some of my favorite games ever and some of the few games I've ever regretted purchasing, it's a series of contrasts

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Raxivace posted:

TEW2

Gee I wonder what TV show Mikami and co. have been watching lately. :P

Lol

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

in the manual!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sakurazuka posted:

Okay I finished both Amnesia games, what else spooky should I play?

It's definitely "spooky" and not really "scary" but I've been marathoning Oxenfree today and it's really sick, I'll be sad when it's over. I also need to look up the composer because the music is 🔥

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

will it have jump physics that don't suck this time

I want to say yes, but I can't find a project update that says so. You can jump on/off the middle of ladders, though. They're also making the map progression less absurdly open to make it harder to get hopelessly lost, but they'll put in sequence breaks for the people who want that kinda stuff.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

this jackie chan game actually owns

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

this jackie chan game actually owns

Yeah, Action Kung Fu is a dope game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's also pretty short and breezy so it's good for replays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's the spookiest Friday of the year. I'll be replaying RE4 tonight

• Locked thread