Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Folks also remember the original Prey, which was a huge turnoff for fans to see the new one being so radically different, and so the game had a lot of negative word of mouth followed by very little to no marketing to push back against the fans calling it a cheap cashgrab sequel.

A reminder that the game is only named Prey because Bethesda turned up at Arkane Studios asking if they had a game in development they could slap the IP title on in exchange for cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MisterBibs posted:

Denying preview copies just contains the folks who are gunning to be the first contrarian review.

I'd almost forgotten how supremely stupid your posts were, thanks for the reminder I guess

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Augh, quote ain't edit.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 13, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

No, that doesn't make sense. No one liked Oblivion

No, people liked Oblivion, contrarians aside. It's why they didn't have to hard market Skyrim, after all.

Max Wilco posted:

No, that doesn't seem to fit, either.

VR is something you'd need to actively market, since it's VR. Besides, everyone had already played Skyrim, because they liked Oblivion, because they liked Morrowind.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That also reminds me that Prey 2 existed, and that game went through publisher hell. Not development hell, publisher hell, because Bethesda kept arbitrarily changing the milestones for the game and refusing to fund it when those milestones weren't met, all the while offering to buy the studio to "help" them out of the financial trouble that they had put them in. Then when Bethesda couldn't move the goalposts any further since they'd all been met, just canceling the near-complete game and leaving the developer bankrupt. Then buying the rights to Prey during liquidation and giving the IP to someone else.

I followed Prey 2 somewhat closely, it was mostly development hell at its core. It was originally an in-name-only sequel that had nothing to do with the original, and when that leaked, folks bitched. Some time passes, and they announce that it's now in the Prey universe; your character was on the plane you see in Prey, having escaped the Sphere. But then people asked where Tommy was, and the developers shrugged and said he wasn't involved, which made folks mad again, so they went dark again. I think they eventually announced that Tommy would play a part, but then the game died.

Hell, you can gloss over all that, and say Portal killed Prey as a viable gimmick.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 13, 2017

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I've played Black Isle games and alpha protocol, Obsidian did not suddenly start having a problem with bugs because they let Bethesda do their QA stuff.

I heard they invented some automatic bug-finding thing to prevent New Vegas situations in the future though, so good on them

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I've played Black Isle games and alpha protocol, Obsidian did not suddenly start having a problem with bugs because they let Bethesda do their QA stuff.

I heard they invented some automatic bug-finding thing to prevent New Vegas situations in the future though, so good on them

Yeah, around Dungeon Siege III they created a new in-house tracker and have been using it since to relatively good effect, especially for a company doing a lot of open-ended or branching games.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Obsidian definitely has big buggy issues of their own, but Bethesda owned Q&A on New Vegas so it's fair to pin their own work on them. I didn't know that Obsidian had an automated Q&A system in place now, where can I go find out about that? It'd be interesting to see how that would work.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

END ME SCOOB posted:

Yeah, around Dungeon Siege III they created a new in-house tracker and have been using it since to relatively good effect, especially for a company doing a lot of open-ended or branching games.

Found an article about it

quote:

"The timeline was compressed," Urquhart said. "It was a timeline we agreed to—I think we bit off a little more than we could chew, and then it was a little hard to recover... We learned some lessons about trying to make too big a game. We also learned some lessons about managing QA."

They tried to apply those lessons to their next game, Dungeon Siege III, which had its own issues, but by most accounts was relatively bug-free. And after New Vegas, Urquhart decided it was time to shed their reputation.

"We as a company got into a big room and we said, ‘We are not gonna make buggy games anymore,'" Urquhart said.

So they designed an entirely new bug-tracking system—a computerized program that automatically sends crash reports to their engineers. Their last bug-recording system, Urquhart said, involved pens and paper.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
More Plinketto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7TxylhyW1Y

I'm disappointed that Virtual Combat or Twin Dragon Encounter didn't get picked, but the first movie more than made up for it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Alpha Protocol is a brilliant game and I have chosen this hill to die on!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

MisterBibs posted:

No, people liked Oblivion, contrarians aside. It's why they didn't have to hard market Skyrim, after all.

VR is something you'd need to actively market, since it's VR. Besides, everyone had already played Skyrim, because they liked Oblivion, because they liked Morrowind.

I mostly meant that as joke. The Game 3/4/5 thing I figured was alluding to TES.

Oblivion was certainly successful, but nowadays, I think people hold it in less regard compared to Morrowind and Skyrim because of how bland the setting is and how poorly the leveling system was handled.

The VR thing was a riff on how Bethesda has mostly been re-releasing Skyrim lately.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

It's a really good game. They should have probably leaned more traditional 3rd person action like in MGS or Splinter Cell since most people who played it didn't realize it was a RPG much like Deus Ex (to a fault, as your shooting was really bad without putting points into it). But the branching storyline was really good stuff.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Josef bugman posted:

A good game can be buggy as poo poo. For instance, Fallout New Vegas

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I liked Alpha Protocol, but it really did need more work to the shooting & stealth sections, because they were extremely clunky. I played through using a specific build (I think it was pistols, assault rifles, and sabotage), but if you sticking to a specific build like that, it seems like you could find yourself up against a brick wall in the later parts of the game.

Despite that, New Vegas seems to rank lower on the Metacritic average than Bethesda's Fallout games do, despite also being riddled with bugs.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Contrary to popular opinion, FNV is not a buggy game. They did a good job with patching it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Alpha Protocol is one of those games that's best played with cheats as its combat and leveling are pretty hot garbage.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I never ran into problems with AP. Quickload was the only thing was broken as heck, if I remember correctly. Loading normally I never ran into any bugs or crashes. I was pleasantly surprised.

Stealth, pistols and hand-to-hand is the god build in Alpha Protocol.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The best thing about Alpha Protocol is that if you play it the right way, it's basically Sterling Archer Simulator.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The active ability for pistols in Alpha Protocol is absurdly broken. I agree that it’s a fantastic game though, Stephen Heck is one of my all-time favorite game characters.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
One of my favorite moments was outthinking/ decieving the super secret spy tech dudes.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Josef bugman posted:

One of my favorite moments was outthinking/ decieving the super secret spy tech dudes.

If you go angry as gently caress at all times then you actually scare the hell out of a dude when you confront him calmly.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Genocyber posted:

Contrary to popular opinion, FNV is not a buggy game. They did a good job with patching it.

Max Wilco posted:

I liked Alpha Protocol, but it really did need more work to the shooting & stealth sections, because they were extremely clunky. I played through using a specific build (I think it was pistols, assault rifles, and sabotage), but if you sticking to a specific build like that, it seems like you could find yourself up against a brick wall in the later parts of the game.

Despite that, New Vegas seems to rank lower on the Metacritic average than Bethesda's Fallout games do, despite also being riddled with bugs.

Struck a nerve here

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
new vegas in spite of being a brilliant game was by far the buggiest game bethesda had released up until that point, all QA was handled by them instead of obsidian and it's clear whatever approval process they have for fixing bugs is pretty bad, maybe they just mark everything known shippable

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Struck a nerve here
I'm sorry.

cat doter posted:

new vegas in spite of being a brilliant game was by far the buggiest game bethesda had released up until that point, all QA was handled by them instead of obsidian and it's clear whatever approval process they have for fixing bugs is pretty bad, maybe they just mark everything known shippable
I played New Vegas at launch, and I remember that it was pretty bad in terms of bugs. I didn't get Doc Mitchell twisting his head into his body, but had issues with crashes and such. It got cleaned up quite a bit between then and now, though. I'm not saying that it should get a free pass, though.

My point was more so how Fallout 4 was also typical of a buggy Bethesda release (albeit not to as great of an extent as F:NV), yet that didn't deter critics from giving Fallout 4 high marks. Obviously, it's going to be subjective on whether or not you thought Fallout 4 was poorly put together compared to New Vegas, but from my perspective, Bethesda did not learn anything (in regards to story-telling, world-building, role-playing) in the seven years between Fallout 3 and Fallout 4, and critics didn't either.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 14, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I'm sorry.

I played New Vegas at launch, and I remember that it was pretty bad in terms of bugs. I didn't get Doc Mitchell twisting his head into his body, but had issues with crashes and such. It got cleaned up quite a bit between then and now, though. I'm not saying that it should get a free pass, though.

My point was more so how Fallout 4 was also typical of a buggy Bethesda release (albeit not to as great of an extent as F:NV), yet that didn't deter critics from giving Fallout 4 high marks. Obviously, it's going to be subjective on whether or not you thought Fallout 4 was poorly put together compared to New Vegas, but from my perspective, Bethesda didn't learn anything in the seven years between Fallout 3 and Fallout 4, and critics didn't either.

If your games sell like gangbusters you don't need to learn anything.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Josef bugman posted:

I feel like if you could somehow combine the latest iteration of Hitman with Alpha Protocol, you would have the ultimate spy game.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Testekill posted:

If you go angry as gently caress at all times then you actually scare the hell out of a dude when you confront him calmly.

Wait, which one is this? I thought I knew most of the odd quirks you could pull off in the game.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Paladin posted:

Wait, which one is this? I thought I knew most of the odd quirks you could pull off in the game.

I can't remember which one it is but basically if you're generally going the aggressive choice then this one boss (I think it's the Rome one but it's been a while) will actually get freaked out if you confront him and are completely calm. If you favour being suave then if you get aggressive with him then he'll just call it out as a pathetic attempt at intimidation.

edit: I wanna say it's Conrad Marburg but I'm not entirely sure.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
New video from The Nerd Crew!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzG4xzNM92E

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

Bethesda did not learn anything (in regards to story-telling, world-building, role-playing) in the seven years between Fallout 3 and Fallout 4, and critics didn't either.

Andrast posted:

If your games sell like gangbusters you don't need to learn anything.

Exactly. Plus, in the context of Fallout, it's wasn't Bethesda that had to learn anything on how to make Fallout games for Fallout fans.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hot dogs

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's insane to me that still no one has really stolen what ALPHA PROTOCOL did with dialogue options. I guess Telltale kind of do it in a much more overt way, but having the things you say or do have ramifications much later on is a great system and AP was one of the best at doing it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

It's insane to me that still no one has really stolen what ALPHA PROTOCOL did with dialogue options. I guess Telltale kind of do it in a much more overt way, but having the things you say or do have ramifications much later on is a great system and AP was one of the best at doing it.

It's a ton of effort that (unfortunately) doesn't necessarily lead to more sales

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

DrVenkman posted:

The format works best in a series of discrete missions that you can undertake in any order, in a game that is released in one complete package. It can't be accomplished to the same effect in a linear chapter format that lacks any role-playing or puzzle mechanics. And it's best if it's around ten hours long to play so that the reactivity from choices comes sooner.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Way of the Samurai is another series that does that sort of thing. Gameplay's not that great (though I like it) but it does have a lot of branching storylines that are fun.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Another fun fact is that CrazyGoggs spent literal years gaslighting and harassing a mentally ill person because he thought it would be funny.

What do you think of Lowtax's continued harassment of a mentally ill woman?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

What do you think of Lowtax's continued harassment of a mentally ill woman?

Yes, I have stopped beating my wife

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Two new episode of Nick Knacks!

First, we have Video Comics, a show on Nickelodeon just sorta reads comic books to you. It's a cheap filler show, but a good opportunity to explore Nickelodeon's mob roots. No, really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMjn0PobLsc

Then, for the Halloween season, we jump ahead to 1986 to talk about Marc Summers' Mystery Magical Special, a spooky-themed magic show meant to get kids invested in that guy hosting Double Dare.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcAKCd3CSHA

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Ross Scott did Life is Strange for Game Dungeon. His take is... uh... bad. I felt like I was watching "old man yells at cloud".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

DrVenkman posted:

Most people hated Alpha Protocol's high-pressure, high-risk dialog system. These forums (myself included) have a much higher opinion of Obsidian than people with correctly functioning brains.

• Locked thread