Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Rick posted:

I loved Tron Legacy but I also saw it in IMAX which seems to be a big difference maker.

Anyway, reviews!

I thought I had seen the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Like when I saw the Rob Zombie version I thought it was all really familiar. I don't know what the gently caress I was thinking, the original is nothing like that at all. The reason to see this is that this film is so good at creating mood and tension and dread, even though you know everything that's going to happen because they tell you in the opening crawl. I do think this should be seen in a theater if you have the chance, preferably small, uncomfortable and stuffy.

Blade Runner 2049 is also a prime example of just creating a mood. It's also wonderful at using color and sound for storytelling. It doesn't quite have the subtlety of the original, but I still think it's worth seeing if you liked the original or are into questions about selfhood and such. If you're big into action films, maybe this is not for you, though.

Seeing a film that has a one star rating on Tivo when I got nothing better to do is a high motivator to watch something, so that's why I decided to see The Shack. It's about as harmless as a denominational film can get, although it pissed a lot of Christians off, and of course atheists as well, so I think it's worth seeing to see why for yourself. The chill af Jesus is also pretty cool

That's funny, you're the second person this week I've heard/read talk about the "rob zombie version of Texas chainsaw massacre". He wasn't involved, the remake was directed by Marcus Nispel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This was the most difficult of the "Mondo" (local theater's bad movie night) movies to get through, because a whole lot of nothing happens for a whole lot of the movie, and what does happen barely makes sense, but Satan's Cheerleaders is the rare naked pro-Satan propaganda film, and it was so bold in that stance that I kind of admired the bravado of it, so it's worth watching for that reason, maybe in a media format where you can fast forward through long scenes of running nowhere, or people staring at each other, or staring at the wind.

DeimosRising posted:

That's funny, you're the second person this week I've heard/read talk about the "rob zombie version of Texas chainsaw massacre". He wasn't involved, the remake was directed by Marcus Nispel

This is weird, I wonder where I got this idea from.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Cheap Thrills (2013) 75/100

Magic Mike (2012): 83/100

Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro (1979): 87/100

Paprika (2006): 80/100

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Saw the The Florida Project and would definitely recommend it. A24 with another solid release. Same director as Tangerine if you enjoyed that. The story revolves around a little girl and other characters living in a cheap motel (Willem Dafoe plays the manager) just outside of Magic Kingdom. What I especially liked about this film is the way a lot of the shots were framed, really spot on in capturing the action happening during a scene. Cinematography was really nice too and the use of color during certain scenes helped convey some of the emotion/pain the characters were feeling. Overall, a great film.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Beethoven

Beethoven is a kids movie about a giant misbehaved St. Bernard (named Beethoven after the famous composer). A family adopts him after the dog sneaks into their house after a failed dognapping and the dad (played it a profound way by Charles Grodon) can't handle the hijinks and antics the dog gets into. The kids love the dog because he helps them with problems they are having. The real villain of this film is Dr. Herman Varnick who was involved in the initial dognapping and wants to use Beethoven for an ammunition test and will stop at nothing to get what he wants including framing the dog, Beethoven.

Overall this is a very fine film. Heartwarming and funny.

9/10

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I wonder if Homeward Bound holds up

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I know Milo and Otis sure as hell does.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Rick posted:

This was the most difficult of the "Mondo" (local theater's bad movie night) movies to get through, because a whole lot of nothing happens for a whole lot of the movie, and what does happen barely makes sense, but Satan's Cheerleaders is the rare naked pro-Satan propaganda film, and it was so bold in that stance that I kind of admired the bravado of it, so it's worth watching for that reason, maybe in a media format where you can fast forward through long scenes of running nowhere, or people staring at each other, or staring at the wind.

This is weird, I wonder where I got this idea from.

Maybe it's a common idea. Zombie did Halloween and is a famous name, Nispel did TCM and F13 and isn't well known.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tailored Sauce posted:

Saw the The Florida Project and would definitely recommend it. A24 with another solid release. Same director as Tangerine if you enjoyed that. The story revolves around a little girl and other characters living in a cheap motel (Willem Dafoe plays the manager) just outside of Magic Kingdom. What I especially liked about this film is the way a lot of the shots were framed, really spot on in capturing the action happening during a scene. Cinematography was really nice too and the use of color during certain scenes helped convey some of the emotion/pain the characters were feeling. Overall, a great film.

The fact that the guy who made loving Greg the Bunny has taken a career left turn into artsy true-life dramedies is insanely goddamn strange and hilarious to me

e: also, I have Marcus Nispel on Facebook and I'm kind of tempted to let him know that people on the internet think he's Rob Zombie. :v: He's an insanely nice dude, though, and I'd feel bad.

(Alex Proyas is a loving dick who can go to hell, though, if anyone has any sick burns for him feel free to drop them)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Proyas makes dope films though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

got any sevens posted:

Proyas makes dope films though.

That's why I added him, and then I immediately regretted it when he turned out to be pretty much a garbage rear end in a top hat from Hell. Seriously, dude has a loving ego, if he had more money he'd probably build a loving theme park and name it after himself and not let anyone else in Cartman-style.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The fact that the guy who made loving Greg the Bunny has taken a career left turn into artsy true-life dramedies is insanely goddamn strange and hilarious to me

e: also, I have Marcus Nispel on Facebook and I'm kind of tempted to let him know that people on the internet think he's Rob Zombie. :v: He's an insanely nice dude, though, and I'd feel bad.

(Alex Proyas is a loving dick who can go to hell, though, if anyone has any sick burns for him feel free to drop them)

I actually liked the remake, so it would be a compliment I guess v:shobon:v . I just had no idea how different it was from the original.

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
Uchiage Hanabi [Fireworks] (2017): 56/100

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Marshall (2017)- It's a movie about Thurgood Marshall starring Chadwick Boseman. This guy seems to want to play every famous black man in American history: James Brown, Jackie Robinson, Marvel's Black Panther. Anyway, the movie was fine with good performances from him and Josh Gad. This could have been, and should have been, a Rated R movie and you can tell it didn't reach its full potential.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Chadwick Boseman's entire career is being the absolute best part of every movie he is in and working as hard as he can against the mediocrity of everything else in the movie.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Mrs. Doubtfire

Get ready to laugh your buns off.

Basically, this is a movie about a man named Daniel who gets divorced from his wife because he threw an out of control birthday party for his son (there was a donkey there eating the cake). He has just lost his job so the stupid judge gived Sally Field custody of the kids. Daniel love these kids and wants to see them so he hatches a brilliant plan: Dress as a woman and become a nanny to his kids without anyone knowing! He does this amazing british accent to further throw everonye off and no one suspects a thing until the son see Daniels penis. This movie has lots of laughter in it because Robin Williams was really good at improv and impressions. In one scene he pretends to be a hot dog infront of this old woman.

Pierce Bronsan (future James Bond) is in this as Sally Fields new love interest and Daniel hates the guy and throws fruit at the back of his head and says "drive-by fruiting!"

Basically watch this movie if you want to laugh and have a good time with your friends.

9/10

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Foreigner: 3/4, pretty good serious dad action flick. Vein of "Walk Among the Tombstones".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

got any sevens posted:

The Foreigner: 3/4, pretty good serious dad action flick. Vein of "Walk Among the Tombstones".

!!!

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

GonSmithe posted:

Chadwick Boseman's entire career is being the absolute best part of every movie he is in and working as hard as he can against the mediocrity of everything else in the movie.

The height of this was 42 for me. I heard a lot of pre-buzz because Harrison ford was acting and turned in a performance he didn't seem to hate himself in. Then I saw...that. Thing. He was doing. While Boseman was doing his damnedest to keep the whole thing from sinking into parody. His scenes against Alan Tudyk were great at least.

Onto the content...

Gerald's Game (2017) (full review at the link)

Rating: Dislike (scale of Like, Indifferent, Dislike)

Capsule thoughts: This was one of those movies I felt 'eh to at first, then the dislike started creeping in as I went about my day, and realized I hated it when I sat down to write. It looks weirdly cheap, which fits this performative subtext where Jessie summons Gerald to perform her trauma with help from herself. Total misunderstanding of how trauma affects people, tied into a too-tidy ending that made me groan and rage in equal measure. Tremendous disappointment.

Creed (2015) - rewatch (full podcast analysis at 25:58 in the link)

Rating: Classic (scale of Like, Indifferent, Dislike)

Capsule thoughts: My rule when determining "best of all time" is to give myself distance from my first impressions. Adored Creed when it first came out and it was tied for 2015's best (alongside Magic Mike XXL and The Midnight Swim.) Rewatched it for the podcast. Then after I was done recording I watched it again. And again. Then again the next night. I've written a full review and recorded a podcast now, so I'll leave it at I want to breathe in Coogler's Philly and go to one of Bianca's concerts.

Kuroneko (1968) (full review at the link)

Rating: Like (scale of Like, Indifferent, Dislike)

Capsule thoughts: Fifteen minutes of near-silence and anxious tears as a patriarchal force of nature destroys the lives of two innocent women. Then I sit with the serenity of Kaneto Shindo's camera, the reality of the opening violence shifting into a stark black and white contrast, as the women's spirits enact revolutionary vengeance against all samurai. What it loses in horror after those first fifteen minutes it gains back in weighing the necessity of violence against a corrupt system. My first Shindo and I plan on coming back for more.

Blade Runner 2049 (2017) (full review at the link)

Rating: Like (scale of Like, Indifferent, Dislike)

Capsule thoughts: Villeneuve has a small but growing set of critics who view his work as misogynistic. I don't join them, and Blade Runner 2049 left me contemplative like no other film has this year, but I don't know how many times I can watch him do this dance-around with the impotence of patriarchy from the perspective of a white man. Failed birth imagery all around, from Jared Leto (terrifying in two scenes) acting as both parent and predator to "offspring" who can't have kids, and Ryan Gosling's K similarly baptizing AI in rain to give her a rebirth into freedom only to watch her freeze a moment later. Overall, it imagines the visual endpoint of what bell hooks calls imperialist white superemacist capitalist patriarchy, and whether it sufficiently critiques it or not I'm sure will be discussed at length for some time. Still, for the rare contemplative space it put me in, Blade Runner 2049 manages to both one-up the original and provide me with less destructive lingering emotions than It. Probably my film of the year so far.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Blade Runner 2049 was one of the best pro-feminism movies I’ve seen in a long time and I’ve yet to see anyone calling it misogynistic say anything deeper than “but boobs”. Even all of the aspects you point out are portrayed in a negative light that created the dystopia whereas all the real power is in the hands of the female characters and the act of motherhood itself. I posted a long list of the feminist imagery and messages in the 2049 thread.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 16, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Capsule thoughts: Villeneuve has a small but growing set of critics who view his work as misogynistic.

I find that to be a bit insane.

If there's any demographic that his films are sympathetic to it would be that of women. I can hardly comprehend how films like Polytechnique, Incendies, Enemy, and Arrival could be seen to promote an agenda of hatred or suppression of women. Hell, even Sicario is dead set on demonstrating the moral decay at the heart of paternal systems of control.

I'm not convinced most people even know the meaning of the term misogynistic any longer, it's been so diluted by misapplication.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 16, 2017

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

Bottom Liner posted:

Blade Runner 2049 was one of the best pro-feminism movies I’ve seen in a long time and I’ve yet to see anyone calling it misogynistic say anything deeper than “but boobs”. Even all of the aspects you point out are portrayed in a negative light that created the dystopia whereas all the real power is in the hands of the female characters and the act of motherhood itself. I posted a long list of the feminist imagery and messages in the 2049 thread.

To keep things general, the problem with Blade Runner 2049 is that it's not really covering any new territory for Villeneuve. He's excellent, but his veneration of motherhood as the antidote to patriarchy has been a consistent theme in his movies going back to August 32nd on Earth and for my money reached its creative apex with the closing letter monologue in Polytechnique. I'm gaining some understanding of the viewpoint and I'll wait and see what he does next, but after this and Arrival I'm at least getting to the point where someone who is not him and is not white and is not male needs to be given the reigns on a production like this.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Blade Runner 2049 was one of the best pro-feminism movies I’ve seen in a long time and I’ve yet to see anyone calling it misogynistic say anything deeper than “but boobs”.

This, but mother!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Misfits (1961, John Huston) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
The Evil Dead (1982, Sam Raimi) [Blu-ray - 1.33:1 version] - 4/5 (rewatch)
Evil Dead II (1987, Sam Raimi) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Army of Darkness (1992, Sam Raimi) [Blu-ray - director's cut] - 4.5/5
Phantasm (1979, Don Coscarelli) [Blu-ray] - 4/5

Wait Until Dark (1967, Terence Young) [TCM DVR] - 1.5/5
Night of the Lepus (1972, William F. Claxton) [TCM DVR] - 1/5
UHF (1989, Jay Levey) [Blu-ray] - 4/5 (rewatch)
Othello (1952, Orson Welles) [Blu-ray - European version] - 4.5/5
The Touch of Satan (1971, Don Henderson) [MST3K] - Movie: 1.5/5 / MST3K: 4/5

I Haven't Got a Hat (1935, Isadore Freleng) [DVD] - 4/5 (rewatch)
The Blow Out (1936, Fred Avery) [DVD] - 5/5 (rewatch)
Plane Dippy (1936, Fred Avery) [DVD] - 4/5 (rewatch)
Porky's Duck Hunt (1937, Fred Avery) [DVD] - 5/5 (rewatch)
Porky's Hare Hunt (1938, Ben Hardaway) [DVD] - 3.5/5 (rewatch)

Punch Drunks (1934, Lou Breslow) [DVD] - 5/5 (rewatch)
Pardon My Scotch (1935, Del Lord) [DVD] - 4/5 (rewatch)
Hoi Polloi (1935, Del Lord) [DVD] - 5/5 (rewatch)
Halloween (1978, John Carpenter) [Blu-ray] - 4/5

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 16, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

The Misfits (1961, John Huston) [Blu-ray] - 4/5

Always love to hear about this one.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Always love to hear about this one.

Somber film. Reminded me a lot of The Last Picture Show. Marilyn Monroe's performance is a highlight. I don't think many acknowledge how talented she was as an actor since she was stereotyped as the dumb blonde. Still, what a cast! Marilyn Monroe, Clark Gable, Montgomery Clift, Eli Wallach, and Thelma Ritter... screenplay by Arthur Miller and directed by John Huston.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Wetlands 4/5 - After seeing Blade Runner 2049 and loving the girl in the sterilized chamber I found this German coming of age film about a girl exploring her sexuality and body and dealing with a troubled home. It's pretty graphic and gross-out stuff, especially in the beginner, but the performance has a ton of charm despite seeing the character do some disgusting things. Don't watch if you're not comfortable with bodily fluids, but otherwise this was a tight little story with a great lead role from Carla Juri.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Blade Runner 2049 5/5

I don't think I've seen a better world since the original. Villenueve absolutely nailed the tone and Deakins is the best in the business.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Lethal Weapon (1987) dir. Richard Donner 7.5/10
The Firm (1993) dir. Sydney Pollack 6.5/10
It (2017) dir. Andres Muschietti 7.5/10
It (1990) dir. Tommy Lee Wallace 7/10
There are individual moments, particularly in the first half, which I'd actually say rival or are better than the recent film. The weaker parts, particularly a lot in the second half, drag it down though.
Mother! (2017) dir. Darren Aronofsky 8/10
Victoria and Abdul (2017) dir. Stephen Frears 7/10
Gerald's Game (2017) dir. Mike Flanagan 7.5/10
Blade Runner 2049 (2017) dir. Denis Villeneuve 9/10
John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017) dir. Chad Stahelski 7/10

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I'd love to hear your mother! review please

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, mother! and Blade Runner for sure

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Happy Death Day - The reason to see this is that it's the rare modern horror comedy that isn't complete garbage. It's a lot of fun, start to finish. Even if you think you'll hate the protagonist (one of my friends who went with the movie just because she enjoyed watching her die over and over again, Jessica Rothe is absolutely great as the stereotypical garbage sorority girl)
Friday the 13th - I guess if you're like me and are extremely old and for a long time just never had a reason to see this (I have probably seen 3-4 Friday the 13th movies before this and they were not good enough for me to feel like I needed to seek out the originals), I think the point of watching this is that it is just a really odd movie, so odd that it's almost hard for me to believe that it ended up spawning such a successful franchise. It has some charm though, so if you're a completist, see it.
Friday the 13th 2 - As you probably guessed, I saw this in a double bill with the first. This is a much better film and definitely worth seeing on its own, it's a really competent horror film with the rare not-completely-stupid protagonist. I might have thought more of the series if I saw this one. It sets the formula most of the other FF 13 films seem to follow.
The Foreginer - See this to see Jackie Chan go loving hardcore. I was practically screaming "Jackie noooooo" as he did dark thing after dark thing. The IRA story this surrounds is interesting enough, even if the twists are all obvious a mile away. It's kind of a weird mashup but it works.
The Killing of Satan - This Filipino film about a man's magical fight with Satan and a bunch of shape shifting creatures. It's a not always easy to watch, but I think it's worth seeing for the hilarious special effects, and it's also one of the more famous "good bad" films so if you are a connoisseur of this type of film, you have to watch this.

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 29, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Conrack: 4/5, more realistic than the fluffier manic pixie dream teacher films, the kids are great and so is the scenery, there just isnt a great conclusion (which is kind of the point, but still means its less pleasing than other movies).

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Mother! (2017) dir. Darren Aronofsky 8/10
I'm in some ways baffled that this film got a wide release, but I suppose the selling point of Jennifer Lawrence and Darren Aronofsky's goodwill from Black Swan went a long way into letting studios give mother! a shot.

If the multiple third-act walkouts and polarised audience reception are telling, it's unlikely this film will be a financial success. Though, if it is a commercial mistake for Hollywood, I'm glad its one they made, because this movie had a clarity of vision, and precision in each of its individual elements, that it is rare in mainstream cinema. It is a black comedy, horror, parable, and allegory; and these elements add, rather than take away from each other.

I'm recommending this film, and my mind keeps returning to it days after seeing it. Nonetheless, I don't think those audience members who walked out are necessarily "wrong" for doing so; they might not have gotten what I got out of it, or found it too confronting. I liked it, yet still found oppressive, overwhelming at points. But if you can endure it, this is a rich, worthwhile cinematic experience - one that I think will have a more positive legacy over time than its initial response mignt signal.

Blade Runner 2049 (2017) dir. Denis Villeneuve 9/10
In each of the last six years, we have had a film by Denis Villeneuve. More staggeringly, each of them have been quite good, if not brilliant. What a gift to cinema he has been. There simply isn't a director working within the confines of mainstream cinema today as on top of their game as Denis Villeneuve.

I'm a Ridley Scott apologist. Prometheus and the The Counselor are two of my favourite films of the last several years, Alien is easily in my top five of all time, and I can't think of many other directors who have as good an eye for production design as him. This was true of Blade Runner as well - it is a brilliant world - and yet, it's not a film that has ever particularly resonated with me (it's always been the final cut I've seen). It's a movie that I completely understand why it is considered a masterpiece; but I also understand why it got the frosty reception it did once upon a time. As such, I wasn't coming into this as a "super-fan" of the first film.

This film, however, resonated me completely; I was on the edge of my seat through the vast majority of it, despite its deliberate pace and length. Officer K's journey, the development he goes through and the changes in his mindset - is conveyed with complete clarity without ever being on-the-nose or forced.

It is one of the best-looking films ever, perhaps among the best sequels ever (certainly after this period of time), the casting is impeccable, it is never boring or dull, and it is at all times surprising, compelling, exact. I love that this film was made, I love that it exists.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Haven't posted in here in awhile. Let's see if I can even remember everything I've seen:

Death Note B-
Friend Request B-
UnFriended A
Gerald's Game B-
American Made C-
Stronger B-
Happy Death Day B+
Blade Runner 2049 B
The Foreigner D+

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
From Noon til Three: 3/4? It's a revisionist western 15 years before Unforgiven. Good but weird.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

House of Wax (1953, Andre de Toth) [3-D Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920, Robert Wiene) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Gorgo (1961, Eugene Lourie) [MST3K/DVD] - Movie: 2/5, MST3K: 4/5
M (1931, Fritz Lang) [Blu-ray - British Version] - Original film: 5/5, British version: 3.5/5
Godzilla, King of the Monsters (1956, Terry Morse/Ishiro Honda) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Dracula (1931, George Melford) [Blu-ray - Spanish Version] - 4.5/5
Noche de duendes (1930, James Parrott) [DVD - Spanish version of The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case] - 3.5/5
Vampyr (1932, Carl Th. Dreyer) [Blu-ray] - 5/5
Nosferatu (1922, F.W. Murnau) [Blu-ray] - 5/5

More detailed writings in the horror watch thread.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

Death Note B-
UnFriended A
Gerald's Game B-

These please.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Death Note B-
This movie is a mess but I found it to be an enjoyable mess. I admit I have never seen the anime and don't know much about it but from what little I know I don't think we could have gotten a much more coherent movie out of it. The whole thing moves really quickly giving you very little time to focus in on anything, which was honestly probably for the best. The movie tries to stack complexities and rules on you but only does so as needed which keeps things moving and prevents you from thinking to much about this poo poo. It's all very silly but I like silly. Dafoe is great as a cackling rear end in a top hat demon and the kid they got to play L goes full anime in his role and manages to steal the whole movie. Wingard continues to be a pretty good director and while I think a better director might have made this all feel like less of an obvious mess, I also can't fault Wingard for how this turned out. The clusterfuck nature of this really feels like it's by design.

UnFriended A
I am mad I took so long to see this. I knew this was pretty much that one segment from V/H/S as a full movie and I knew I would love that but I put it off anyways and then it turned out better than I expected. I don't think any movie ever made about technology has as fully understood it's subject, how it's used, who uses it and what it's like to use it as much as this movie. This is a movie that understands that aggravation of when you're chatting with someone, see the little message saying the other person is typing just to have no text ever appear on your end. Like everything about this movie's portrayal of everything it portrays is perfect. There is so much going on in every frame of this movie that it's just crazy to me. It also helps that it's a great horror movie that's genuinely unnerving at time while also being a whole lot of fun throughout. I cannot imagine this concept being done better

Gerald's Game B-
This is the most Stephen King Stephen King movie I've ever seen. Usually far more of King's writing gets lost when making it from his books to the screen but here it all feels like we're just watching his book. It's honesty weird hearing what sounds like King's writing come out of people's mouths. The movie itself feels like a more harrowing and better Lifetime original movie. That feeling kind of kept me from getting as invested as I'd like but it still films an unfilmable book surprisingly effortlessly and manages to contain one of the hardest to watch scenes of violence I've seen in awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Unfriended could also be an alternate title for Ingrid Goes West

Only the Brave (the hotshot firefighter one) - 4/4, drat good character drama that doesnt fall into tropes and feels real, plus the scenery is gorgeous.