Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I am just lamenting my 20mph crawl of a drive. I wouldn't do it on a 50cc because I need my cup holder in my truck for my starbucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Your 50cc doesn't have a liquid refreshment receptacle with a 2 ft. long curly straw? :smug:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

Dont bigger bikes generally have all the nicer features and stuff though? Like ABS is an example (I get that now everything has ABS), or TFT display, or nicer grips / controls / adjustable ergos / accessories /suspension /etc

I don't need to go that fast, all bikes are pretty freaking fast. I never ever went full throttle on the FZ 07, except occasionally in 6th gear for lazy passing on the freeway. But I want something I can rev all the way up because it sounds cool and poo poo without breaking a bunch of laws. Idk

The new Kawasaki ninja 300s and Yamaha R3s have ABS variants (maybe Honda too? Not sure). Manufacturers are slowly working out that it doesn't just benefit boyracers on 1000cc bikes but also newbies who are more likely to hamfist it while learning.

Also if you want a small bike that has the fit and finish of a big bike, check the Honda CB400. It's amazing. VTEC engine so up to 7000rpm for pootling about, above that when you want to make it scream. ABS variants available too.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 14, 2017

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Carth Dookie posted:

The new Kawasaki ninja 300s and Yamaha R3s have ABS variants (maybe Honda too? Not sure). Manufacturers are slowly working out that it doesn't just benefit boyracers on 1000cc bikes but also newbies who are more likely to hamfist it while learning.

Also if you want a small bike that has the fit and finish of a big bike, check the Honda CB400. It's amazing. VTEC engine so up to 7000rpm for pootling about, above that when you want to make it scream. ABS variants available too.

Stateside :(

I used to own a CB-1 for what its worth and the finish and livability/practicality on that used up budget bike from 1989 was miles ahead of my FZ 07, which rode like a pogo stick made of tupperware. It was great for lanesplitting though I will say that

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 14, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Carth Dookie posted:

:ssh: as of last year ABS is legally required on all motorcycles sold in Europe

Never attribute to a manufacturer's good will that which can be ascribed to government regulation

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Razzled over here is so ruined by the tuono he forgot where his balls are. Don't want to commute on the DRZ because it's "too slow" or "too much of a chore"? I'd insult you, but you've already beat me to it.

I now commute 50 minutes each way to school every day on the grom. It's fine, and I'm passing other cars most of the time. I wouldn't want a grom as my ONLY bike, but it could certainly be done.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Razzled posted:

i mean i can walk to work but that doesn't mean it's fun or good

It's good FOR you. Like riding a scooter on the freeway

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Never attribute to a manufacturer's good will that which can be ascribed to government regulation

Pretty sure I've seen small/learner bikes in AU prior to that change with ABS but point taken.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Well sure, manufacturers might always try to add some new feature as a selling point, but the universal availability of ABS on every new bike right now is because of European regulations.

Same deal with rear-view cameras in cars. They're required by the NHTSA in every new car as of next year, but that hasn't stopped manufacturers from advertising the hell out of "rear-view cameras STANDARD across our ENTIRE product line!!"

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Coydog posted:

Razzled over here is so ruined by the tuono he forgot where his balls are. Don't want to commute on the DRZ because it's "too slow" or "too much of a chore"? I'd insult you, but you've already beat me to it.

I now commute 50 minutes each way to school every day on the grom. It's fine, and I'm passing other cars most of the time. I wouldn't want a grom as my ONLY bike, but it could certainly be done.

i'll give you 20 bucks if you can post footage of you passing cars on I85 on a grom

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Carth Dookie posted:

Duke 390 or death.

Also can confirm small bikes rule, bought a TTR 125 and it’s hilarious to slide around.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honda super cub is the pinnacle of small bikes

Does Honda sell the newish FI ones in the US market? Not the ruckus or vespa lookalike metro, the really retro styles ones the rest of the world never stopped getting

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 14, 2017

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Apparently Aprilia makes a Tuono 125. That is adorable and cool and I want one.

http://www.aprilia.com/uk_EN/bikes/road/Tuono/tuono-125/

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its about 1/6 as cool as a full tuono but way cooler than a grom, so very cool overall. I want one

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 14, 2017

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I had a similar length commute, of which about 3/4 was motorway and I had no difficulty on a CBR125 that topped out at 130km/h. I also effectively didn't need to brake for corners and only did so to settle the front to avoid crashing.

0 - 60 time is fast, but 60 - 130 takes a few decades. :v:

Sagebrush posted:

My '17 SV650 is EURO4 compliant, which I'm very happy about. I've had the ABS kick in a couple of times already.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Sagebrush posted:

If I remember rightly, if it's under a certain displacement or some poo poo, they can opt for making it with linked braking instead.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Odette posted:

0 - 60 time is fast, but 60 - 130 takes a few decades. :v:

My '17 SV650 is EURO4 compliant, which I'm very happy about. I've had the ABS kick in a couple of times already.

Had all the kids you want already eh?

The fuckhead who designed the seat on that thing should be brought before the Hague.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fauxtool posted:

honda super cub is the pinnacle of small bikes

Does Honda sell the newish FI ones in the US market? Not the ruckus or vespa lookalike metro, the really retro styles ones the rest of the world never stopped getting

The last US-bound Cub was in '83. SYM sold their 100cc version in the late 2000s for a couple years.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Keket posted:

If I remember rightly, if it's under a certain displacement or some poo poo, they can opt for making it with linked braking instead.

I can't imagine anyone will though because that sounds suspiciously like engineering, which is effort, vs just throwing an off the shelf ABS unit on there

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just gonna say I didn't need to know yellow cb400's existed when I can't freaking buy one in the USA.

Id seen some pics and just assumed it was rare, like those Suzuki triumph clones. Finding out I'll never get what is to me the most beautiful small naked bike, ugh.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
On the topic of unavailable gold, I super want a VTR250, which is basically a Ducati Monster except Honda and low displacement

They just look so cool :negative:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

Everyone needs to get a Grom/z125/razkull. They are so dangerous, and so much fun.

Lol I looked up the razkull, and while I have no doubt it’s decent, the Chinese engineering still shows through.

SSR engineer 1: hey should we design a cylinder with cooling fins that go the right way for a horizontal motor?

SSR engineer 2: uh, just use that big pile of vertical cylinders we have in the warehouse.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

On the topic of unavailable gold, I super want a VTR250, which is basically a Ducati Monster except Honda and low displacement

I got excited until you mentioned "basically a monster." The older full faired VTRs with the 90's neon paintjob are rad.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Surely the ZRX-400 is the bike us Americans are missing out on the most.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Carth Dookie posted:

Had all the kids you want already eh?

The fuckhead who designed the seat on that thing should be brought before the Hague.

Yeah it is hard as hell, but I'm used to it now.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

i'll give you 20 bucks if you can post footage of you passing cars on I85 on a grom

Obviously I was talking about non highway, however c u next Thursday at 430PM where I'm passing all the cars on 85 in Atlanta.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol I looked up the razkull, and while I have no doubt it’s decent, the Chinese engineering still shows through.

SSR engineer 1: hey should we design a cylinder with cooling fins that go the right way for a horizontal motor?

SSR engineer 2: uh, just use that big pile of vertical cylinders we have in the warehouse.

It's for cooling while on one wheel, DUH. The chinese are just way ahead of the game, clearly.

If I didn't have such an affinity for the first gen Grom, and wanted to go wild with mods, I'd totally get a razkull. 3(!!!) gallon tank, color changing dash, two bulb headlight with DRL, and $1800 new price point are all very appealing.

Dutymode posted:

Surely the ZRX-400 is the bike us Americans are missing out on the most.

Thanks for ruining my day.

Realtalk the ZRX1200 is probably going to be my next bike. It's time for a comfy liter bike.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

If you can rescue one before it ends up in the hands of the couriers, the NTV400/Bros can scratch that itch for you.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I didn't realise any had made it here! I've salivated over Sagebrush's NT650 before and got briefly excited when I thought I'd spotted one in the UK, but it turned out to be an NTV650, which are somehow utterly terrible aesthetically despite being derived from what might be visually the perfect motorcycle (different frame, bigger plastics that ruin the lines), and this particular one was falling apart too.

The 400 looks the business but I gather they're just as heavy as the 650? At least they're cheap!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're identical to the 650 with a smaller engine on the inside, exactly like SV400.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On topic for all these great bikes the US will never see. How does motorcycle importing work? Surely motorcycles dont need to meet the safety requirements like a car. Can you just bring it over, get it inspected and registered? Surely if it meets euro standards it would meet many state requirements

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Importing to the USA, you mean?

If a motorcycle is more than 21 years old it doesn't have to comply with EPA emissions requirements, but still needs to meet FMVSS safety standards. If it's more than 25 years old, it doesn't have to meet any federal codes at all. Functionally this means that you can import things older than 25 years, because trying to prove to the government that a bike that was never sold in the USA meets the required standards would probably take four years on its own.

Once it's gotten past US customs, though, you have to figure out how to get it registered to ride it, and that's totally up to your state government. Some states don't give a poo poo and will mail you a license plate sight unseen as long as you give them a VIN and some money. Others have their own requirements that may make it impossible to get the bike plated. For instance, California specifically states that no motorcycle not sold in the USA can ever be made CARB-emissions-compliant, so you're kinda hosed. Your only options are to lie on the form and hope that no DMV employee knows the difference between a CBR250R and CBR250RR, or to register the bike in another state (I understand Montana is a good option).

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I'm so loving stoked at getting proper studded tires for the nx250 for the winter. It's gonna be awesome / insane / cold. I'm dropping in a xl250r 84-87 rear 17" rim and gearing up the rear sprocket accordingly (41 to 49 teeth up from a 16" stock rim) to have more than 4 types of rubber in total for the dimension available.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I didn't realise any had made it here! I've salivated over Sagebrush's NT650 before and got briefly excited when I thought I'd spotted one in the UK, but it turned out to be an NTV650, which are somehow utterly terrible aesthetically despite being derived from what might be visually the perfect motorcycle (different frame, bigger plastics that ruin the lines), and this particular one was falling apart too.

The 400 looks the business but I gather they're just as heavy as the 650? At least they're cheap!

The Bros was never officially imported but the 90s grey import market basically hoovered up anything with a 400 engine and machine-gunned them across Europe. While most of the sporty ones got consigned to the bin once stuff like the R6 made them entirely pointless (by being just as light, almost as small, and making up to double the power) the nakeds - the Bros, CB-1, etc - regained a cult following, not hurt by how easily interchangeable so many of the components were. A fairly common thing you'd see is one with a CBR400 Tri-Arm swingarm and RVF400 USD front end, often topped off with the obligatory Renthals.

Alas, like I say, most of them have now fallen into the hands of the couriers now so unless you get a very lucky garage find they're all going to have gone round the clock twice and been crashed so much their frames look like Mickey Rourke's scrotum. It does mean that parts are still pretty easy to find for relatively obscure 90s bikes that were never officially imported, there's a single-sided swingarm and rear shock in what looks like mint condition up for sale for 90 quid in the place I get my tyres done.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bizarrely I've seen three OG V-Maxes in the last week, which is more than I remember seeing when they were brand new. Even more oddly, unlike the spotless obvious garage queen i see very occasionally, these are all in the sort of "good, not great" condition you'd expect of a bike that's at least 20 years old at this point - like obviously well-looked-after but also very obviously with a lot of miles on them - flaking leather on the seats, scratched topcoat on the paint, that sort of thing. All three seemed to have stock exhausts too which is about the rarest thing imaginable on a 90s bike.

I've no idea what any of it means but after the red sun and yellow sky over Britain today and the last couple of years of news generally I'm happy to accept that the four horseman have updated their steeds.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yamaha produced a poo poo ton of those between 1985-2007. My unit's frame is at the powdercoater right now, I'm in a process of a total rebuild. Starting to reconsider the folly though, considering how cheap one can be acquired these days.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

R-Type posted:

Yamaha produced a poo poo ton of those between 1985-2007. My unit's frame is at the powdercoater right now, I'm in a process of a total rebuild. Starting to reconsider the folly though, considering how cheap one can be acquired these days.

Yeah, but in the UK at least, the natural end of their lifecycle was upside-down in a tree somewhere off an A-road. Same reason you can't get a 1200 Bandit or 16" Fireblade here, despite them being the top sellers in their class at the time. Like I say, they were fairly rare even when they were new, it's just weird I've seen so many this week.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, but in the UK at least, the natural end of their lifecycle was upside-down in a tree somewhere off an A-road. Same reason you can't get a 1200 Bandit or 16" Fireblade here, despite them being the top sellers in their class at the time. Like I say, they were fairly rare even when they were new, it's just weird I've seen so many this week.

Some things are universal I see. I've seen a grand total of one of these in the flesh yet other sportsbikes from that era are common as dirt.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

EV xpost. Zero has launched the 2018 range. The Charge Tank option can now do 6 kW AC from Mode 3 stations. A step in the right direction. But that excludes the Power Tank option, so it's either 18 kWh capacity and 1 kW charging or 6 kW charging and 14.4 kWh. And interestingly, the curb weight of the 18 kWh is just 205 kg. It's getting there, but isn't there just yet. They should've dropped the 6 kW charger for a CCS interface and a cooling fan.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/eu/charging

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I want a Zero :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Schroeder91 posted:

I want a Zero :sigh:

I too want everyone to hear my maniacal wheelie laugh instead of the the growl of a V-twin. Those things look super neat.