Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The length of time I've stayed at jobs probably isn't a good comparison as I'm a professional. First job was 5 years, then I left because of a lovely manager and went to a smaller company for 3.25 years. After that I started my own company and that was about 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

3 years at first company, 6 years at second company, just started new position at second company 4 months ago. The first 9 years were doing the exact same thing at different companies.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Fozzy The Bear posted:

How long are you guys staying at jobs? I'm averaging 2 years per job, mainly because I just haven't found the right fit yet.

My average length of time at a job is a little over 4 years. That's skewed some by 8 1/2 at one company though.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So Capital One 360 has finally ruined the old ING Direct website. Their updates make it way slower and less usable.

Any suggestions for online banks that don't suck? Even better if they have decent interest rates for savings accounts.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

devicenull posted:

So Capital One 360 has finally ruined the old ING Direct website. Their updates make it way slower and less usable.

Any suggestions for online banks that don't suck? Even better if they have decent interest rates for savings accounts.

Ally is great and their website is also great

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Grumpwagon posted:

Ally is great and their website is also great

Yup.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
And Alliant is a good alternative if you want a credit union.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

devicenull posted:

Ugh. When did that go live? Their mobile app has been getting better and better. They *do* listen to constructive feedback based on personal anecdotal experience. I spent 10 minutes describing my use case and reasoning behind their previously absurdly low deposit limits (they reduced them from 10k to 1k or similar, I literally thought it was a typo in the app at first. Now they are 50k.) they got 2 other people on the line, listened, and took notes. Not the first time this has happened, either I am part of a chorus of complaints or it really works to spend the time.

Explain it all in terms of how that is how they differentiate themselves from the competition and don't be a screaming lunatic.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Ugh. When did that go live? Their mobile app has been getting better and better. They *do* listen to constructive feedback based on personal anecdotal experience. I spent 10 minutes describing my use case and reasoning behind their previously absurdly low deposit limits (they reduced them from 10k to 1k or similar, I literally thought it was a typo in the app at first. Now they are 50k.) they got 2 other people on the line, listened, and took notes. Not the first time this has happened, either I am part of a chorus of complaints or it really works to spend the time.

Explain it all in terms of how that is how they differentiate themselves from the competition and don't be a screaming lunatic.

I got the updated website a couple weeks ago. My wife still seems to be on the old one, so it seems like they're doing it in phases. The new one has some questionable design decisions... You know how the old website had a table of accounts? The new one puts them in big graphical boxes two columns wide. I'd take a screenshot, but somehow that seems like a terrible idea.

They've completely dropped the ability to modify recurring transfers.. you have to delete and recreate them now.

They apparently haven't finished, going into bill pay results in taking you back to the old site.

The page transitions are like someone discovering powerpoint animations for the first time.

Sure, I could complain and get them to fix it.. but "throw away all the changes you made and go back to the old version" doesn't really seem like something they're going to do. It's pissed me off enough that I went looking for other banks, and discovered Capital One's interest rate isn't even competitive anymore.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

devicenull posted:

It's pissed me off enough that I went looking for other banks, and discovered Capital One's interest rate isn't even competitive anymore.

Ally is at 1.2% vs 0.75% at capital one. Not that huge of a difference but more money the better. I have been pretty happy with Ally. Even if they are just GMAC...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

devicenull posted:

I got the updated website a couple weeks ago.

Everything is terrible.

Sure, I could complain and get them to fix it.. but "throw away all the changes you made and go back to the old version" doesn't really seem like something they're going to do. It's pissed me off enough that I went looking for other banks, and discovered Capital One's interest rate isn't even competitive anymore.

Sounds atrocious. I haven't gotten that yet. I don't do any recurring transfers so who knows.

Their money market account is 1.2%. Buyer beware.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

spwrozek posted:

Ally is at 1.2% vs 0.75% at capital one. Not that huge of a difference but more money the better. I have been pretty happy with Ally. Even if they are just GMAC...

I was actually looking at Discover. Their savings is 1.20% and the checking has 10 cent rebates for every debit card transaction, bill payment and check written up to $10 a month.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I work for a utility so clocking in at ten years, I'm still the young guy. I'm not pensioned, but it'll be hard to justify leaving now that I'm in management and getting over-the-top stock grants for a company where 98% of its earnings are guaranteed.

Goal is to be retired at 50, which is 14 years away.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^Sup utility bro? Pension plus a 401k match still going on here.

BigDave posted:

I was actually looking at Discover. Their savings is 1.20% and the checking has 10 cent rebates for every debit card transaction, bill payment and check written up to $10 a month.

Who uses a debit card? Go with what works for you though. Seems like a solid option.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

spwrozek posted:

^Sup utility bro? Pension plus a 401k match still going on here.

Who uses a debit card? Go with what works for you though. Seems like a solid option.

I am very jealous. I missed the pension by 2 years. However, I don't have to stay until 58 if I have the cash. I really think utilities are overlooked. If you get a decent one there's a lot of upside and very little downside. I'm in Detroit so my options for big corporate companies would be a utility or the automotive companies. gently caress the latter, they have memory that lasts 18 months. They're making the same dumb decisions they did ten years ago and it'll turn into large layoffs soon.

Re: debit cards. I've been travel hacking for years but recently moved my wife and I to debit for our routine expenses and it's really helped to keep our spending down. I'll move back to rewards cards for everything at some point but right now I think she needs the tangibility of cash/debit. Otherwise, it's SWIPE!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

DTE I assume. I spent a few years doing tower analysis for cell site additions while consulting in Jackson for DTE. Also worked at a coal plant for Consumers for a summer in college. I am over at Xcel in denver now. It is pretty good stuff. I doubt the pension will last much longer as things keep going away. But if they want to pay it out into an IRA with Vanguard I guess that is OK. If they do I doubt they will make up that money in a 401k match, just pay it out to the share holders. Still a good place to be. 40 hours only, cheap insurance, really good PTO, etc. Definitely recommend people take a look at utilities.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

spwrozek posted:

DTE I assume. I spent a few years doing tower analysis for cell site additions while consulting in Jackson for DTE. Also worked at a coal plant for Consumers for a summer in college. I am over at Xcel in denver now. It is pretty good stuff. I doubt the pension will last much longer as things keep going away. But if they want to pay it out into an IRA with Vanguard I guess that is OK. If they do I doubt they will make up that money in a 401k match, just pay it out to the share holders. Still a good place to be. 40 hours only, cheap insurance, really good PTO, etc. Definitely recommend people take a look at utilities.

On the nose there.

I forgot to mention that I'm place of a pension they give me 7.5% of my salary each year in a tax deferred account that gets some nominal interest rate gain. After ten years that has grown substantially. That's without contributing a penny to my 401k which gets full match on 4% and half on the second 4%.

I'm in operations/construction and it isn't easy work by any stretch. But I'll take it over worrying if I'll have a job next week.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I laugh every time I hear about my pension. As if I’m seeing a penny of those $250 a month. Hahaha

:ohdear:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

H110Hawk posted:

Sounds atrocious. I haven't gotten that yet. I don't do any recurring transfers so who knows.

Their money market account is 1.2%. Buyer beware.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why buyer beware? I've got almost all my short-term savings in Capital One 360 accounts, and will probably move them to either the 360 MM fund or Ally since the rate is better. Feels like it would be easier to just keep it at Capital One vs a new bank, but I can be convinced to move it if there's a compelling reason.

The new website design is pretty bad, I agree, not sure it's so annoying that I'd want to change banks though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why buyer beware? I've got almost all my short-term savings in Capital One 360 accounts, and will probably move them to either the 360 MM fund or Ally since the rate is better. Feels like it would be easier to just keep it at Capital One vs a new bank, but I can be convinced to move it if there's a compelling reason.

The new website design is pretty bad, I agree, not sure it's so annoying that I'd want to change banks though.

Money market accounts have vaguely more risk. I personally have 6 months of emergency funds in the capital one 360 money market account.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

H110Hawk posted:

Money market accounts have vaguely more risk. I personally have 6 months of emergency funds in the capital one 360 money market account.

Someone explain to me the appeal of a Money Market Account

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
It's got a cool name.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moneyball posted:

It's got a cool name.

I mean every time I've looked at returns for Money Market Accounts it's either "made 0.10% over the past year" or "lost money"

Why would I give a poo poo about that

moana
Jun 18, 2005

High-interest savings accounts didn't used to be a thing, back in the day we used CDs and Money Market Accounts as short-term interest-bearing places to keep money. They are pretty poo poo now, though, compared to an Ally or Alliant account!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

IllegallySober posted:

My average length of time at a job is a little over 4 years. That's skewed some by 8 1/2 at one company though.

I've been at the same outfit for 17 years.

Is that why it's so hard to find a new job?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Going back to the online savings account chat, I found a couple banks with better rates than Ally, and was about to sign up with Synchrony Bank since I've already got a couple of their branded store credit cards, when I found this: https://www.discover.com/online-banking/savings-lng-04/?cmpgnid=affl-bk-offer&src=HMB1017&TPR=057&van=Dbank

Discover has an online savings account with 1.20% APY, but if you sign up before 10/31/17, and deposit $15k or more, you get a bonus $150. Or, if you deposit $20k, a $200 bonus. For whatever reason their website puked while I tried to sign up and I ended up having to call to open the account, for an extra $200 I'll park my cash here for a while before I consider jumping to one of the banks offering 1.30% or better.

RIP ING, I shouldn't feel sentimental about leaving a bank but I still miss the good old times back in the mid-00's with their 5% APY online savings accounts and generous referral bonuses.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there a super simple app that would simply show how much I’ve spent in a given month?

For example, I’d like something on my phone that pulled from Wells Fargo and American Express that I’ve spent $1,123.45 dollars and resets on the 1st.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Mint will do that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This might be a little outside this thread's scope, but I did a cursory search in this forum and didn't come up with much and I don't wanna make a full thread about it unless I have to. I'm developing Crohn's Disease and it's making actually going to a physical place to work a huge pain in the rear end (sometimes literally), is there a resource out there about how to get started working from home? I don't necessarily even mean getting a job online, I'll go to a physical place of work if it means I can do the actual work at home because the pain really does strike whenever it feels like it in the early stages. I don't wanna be that guy who has to go home all the time because he is bloodying up the bathroom or whatever. Does anyone here work at home and want to share with me how they got started? I'm just a college student, so I know very little about the world of work in general, but this problem has really complicated things and I'm feeling a bit lost.

edit: To provide a little more information on what my skills are currently, in case it matters out of the gate: I'm relatively experienced in the computer tech field in a range of stuff from hardware tech support and troubleshooting to more creative outlets like photography and video editing- I also have a lot of experience in marketing and branding consultation. That's what my degree is in. As for entry-level jobs I could do from home, I've done copy-writing and some transcription, and I work freelance as a photographer and video editor in my spare time but I'm not real huge and don't have a website or whathaveyou so I don't get many bites on that. Mostly what I'm looking for here is information on where/how to actually apply for a job working at home and maybe some personal stories about how much it actually sucks and stuff. I really just don't know where to start.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 23, 2017

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

edit: To provide a little more information on what my skills are currently, in case it matters out of the gate: I'm relatively experienced in the computer tech field in a range of stuff from hardware tech support and troubleshooting to more creative outlets like photography and video editing- I also have a lot of experience in marketing and branding consultation. That's what my degree is in. As for entry-level jobs I could do from home, I've done copy-writing and some transcription, and I work freelance as a photographer and video editor in my spare time but I'm not real huge and don't have a website or whathaveyou so I don't get many bites on that. Mostly what I'm looking for here is information on where/how to actually apply for a job working at home and maybe some personal stories about how much it actually sucks and stuff. I really just don't know where to start.
I just started my 10th year with a software company, and have been working remotely for the last 6 approximately. They eventually decided to get rid of the office, and everybody went fully remote. They do all of their hiring through https://weworkremotely.com/ now.

The jobs posted there are mostly full-time and remote, and mostly positions related to tech companies.

Most important thing with working remotely is being able to stop when you're supposed to be done for the day. It is easy to check your email again, or just just a little more, just a little more, but if you've worked your hours, then you aren't supposed to. You need to have a clean break from work stuff, and not be checking your work email all evening long.

When you're single/alone, it's easy to have a workspace where you won't be interrupted. Once living with someone, and/or have a child, it becomes much more important, and hard, because they'll get used to interrupting you. We lived in one apartment when my daughter was 2, and the idea was that, I'd just have my computer in a corner of our dining room. THAT did not work, and was a complete nightmare for me. Now thankfully I've got a separate study, where I can work. Some of my coworkers have a desk at their house for work, but still will go to coworking spaces or the library, just to get out of their house, or be around other people. This isn't something that bothers me enough though.

edit - this is related to tech, but here is an enormous resource about remote jobs: https://github.com/lukasz-madon/awesome-remote-job . articles about different aspects, as well as a number of job boards.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you, that's all very helpful. I will definitely look into it.

edit: Also boy I like the term "remote jobs", sounds very official compared to "working from home".

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ally rate is up to 1.25%. I will take that for my emergency fund.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

spwrozek posted:

Ally rate is up to 1.25%. I will take that for my emergency fund.

Just came here to post that I got an email saying their rate went up again. It's gone up 3 or 4 times since I opened my account with them in April.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Just realized I've been getting stiffed to the tune of $2,000 on my monthly paychecks since August 1, which is great.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Is that a humble brag or an idiot brag?

:v:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ohgodwhat posted:

Is that a humble brag or an idiot brag?

:v:

When have you known him to be humble?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I just wrote a check for $27,576 to pay off one of my mortgages.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

:discourse:

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Will it bounce??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You couldn't get a better investment return than your mortgage interest rate? :bfc: